Mitchells & Butlers

Mitchells & Butlers Employee Reviews for General Manager

General Manager57 reviews
United Kingdom57 reviews
Poor management
Area Manager very poor and biased. I have no faith in them at all. Picked on by area management who even tried to take money off me for something I didn't do.
Great company
Constantly developing the team, succession planning is a large part of the role. Company looks after you so long as you are delivering your end of the contract.
Better working for Wetherspoons.
For a company this size, the culture is awful. Junior management are just scape goats for middle management's career progression. No accountability or support from area managers, but if budgets aren't met, heads roll, no matter how unrealistic the budgets are.
Take a look at any other pub company, they run rings around m+b.
Good to start, turned awful
The first years were excellent and I would have recommended the company, even returning after a tupee transfer. But things changed, they stopped being a people company and employees became nothing but numbers and cogs in a badly oiled machine. It became rotten from the top down. Expected to work like a dog, little thanks, no work life balance. “They” come first. Expected to bend over backwards and jump through hoops for any advancement. They are the gods, employees are the peasants as much as they like to think they are people company they aren’t not!
No support
Unrealistic goals with next to no support, using old systems making the job harder. Salary and bonuses were decent but again goals being changed. Some other managers treated better than others which felt like favouritism
Gave one star as could not give a zero
No support from any area managers and often personel issues were swept under the carpet, so bullying and harrassment from upper management was rife
I felt that i was put into a very stressful job role and when i asked for support i was belittled and intimidated

If you value a home life and your mental health, i would sincerely recommend avoiding this company
Hospitality ran by accountants
Senior management have no interest in staff welfare. All they care about is sales targets are hit
M&B cut labour budgets, but expect more and more and more in sales whilst keeping the same level of customer service. It doesn't work.
Not great
Really depends which brand you work for some brands have great managers and a healthy respect for their teams others not so much

A large time talking about work life balance and their people come first but not in practice when constantly cutting staff
Fast paced
Fast paced restaurant pub chain with great scope for progression. Many opportunities to learn and develop yourself within your own time frame. Would recommend
Fast paced
Fast paced restaurant pub chain, very rewarding company to work for with excellent pay scales. Every changing environment with no two days the same. Would recommend
Good industry
Hours ae very long, no breaks, no time off, no cover. No support from the area Manager, no staff as wage is poor and expected to take more money with less hours through labour than the last year so targets are not achievable.
Good
Enjoyed working for M and B as I have said I finished as G M as want to spend more time with my family and not work all weekend and Christmas
I would recommend the company
good progression opportunities
Generally a good company to work for. Good opportunities all around the UK if you want to transfer elsewhere. If you have a good area manager they are usually supportive.
Good
Good company to work within. I have worked for the company for many years and have developed up the ladder to become a well thought of General Manager.
Good Company
I have enjoyed my time with M&B. They are very good at what they do. The have an ethos of promoting from within providing you adapt yourself correctly.
Pros
Lots of discounts
Cons
LONG hours
If you love stress and working at the speed of 6 people
Was set unrealistic targets.
Was expected to take 11k on a sunday with 7 staff.

My BDM was a bully

She was finally dismissed after at least 11 griveances against her.

Stay clear of this company

Life is too short to work for ungrateful people.
Pros
Cons
Never thanked once
Great company
I moved to greene king but I must say m&b are far more ahead when it comes to safety and I'm glad I've learnt from them because I'm now putting my training to help greene king that so need to take a leaf out of m&b
Good Employer Limited Opportuniuties
Teaches a great work ethic
Tough targets and Budgets

Good Bonus scheme

Restricted enterprise

|Good team work

Good engagemment incentives and reward for teammmembers
Awful and unprofessional
I was with the company for 9 years in this time I have worked pretty much every role in the pub I worked my way up to general manager and that’s where it all goes bad! In 9 years the pub I worked in had 9 managers (one for every year) as a team member is was all sunshine and roses but the higher you get the worse it gets you are expected to work no matter what! No excuses would be expected and you were given no support! I finally broke after my area managers unrealistic and dangerous expectations proved too much. Budgets are cut beyond reason - my guests once had to use napkins in the toilets as we weren’t allowed to buy toilet paper! Staff are expected to work at last minutes notice because budgets haven’t been released so roters couldn’t be done and long hours too. As a salaried member it’s even worse you get paid for 48 hours a week but only rarely does this actually happen I’ve worked many 100 hour weeks over these 9 years and have rarely received a thank you. I wouldn’t recommend this company to anyone it uses and abuses people and spits them out when they’ve seen them for who they really are. I’m currently under going grevience proceedings with them regarding my issues but 3 weeks after my meeting I’m left chasing them about the progress and have still not had a response from them.
Pros
Free accommodation
Cons
Long unsociable hours unrealistic targets and budgets, dangerous working conditions, no work life balance at all.
Fun and progressive
Long hard days but ultimately rewarding.
Teamwork is everything but you have to stand alone too.

Not always the best make it.

When it was good it was good.

Long days and nights and not always being able to reward people that deserved it.

The people and the fact that no 2 days were the same.
Very good company
A great company to work for with excellent career progression, If its a long term job with bags of potential to expand your knowledge and try different brands or train others then this is the company for you.