Mitchells & Butlers

Mitchells & Butlers Employee Reviews for Bartender

Bartender65 reviews
United Kingdom65 reviews
Fun place, Local managers great, Big bosses not so much
Big bosses are not very attentive, the big slogan was "It's not about the money - it's about the customer experience". But really it isn't. Local managers and teams are great fun and very friendly with each other. Great teamwork.
Disgraceful
Absolutely disgraceful firm to work for when you dedicated 4 years to them the way they treat you is disgraceful, dont be a loyal hard working member of staff whatever you do you will be disrespected tp the highest level you know
Pros
Great people you meet staff and customers
Cons
Awful management, bullies!!!
good place to work
I really enjoyed my work at the premium country pub, it was a fast paced and generally happy environment. also the job itself had great progression opportunity.
Pros
half price food on shift, 33% discount across all M&B restaurants.
Cons
long hours, late nights.
Won't be coming back.
On several occasions the management have demanded that I work outside of my scheduled/rota'd hours. They do not take your life outside of work into account whatsoever and expect you to be devoted to the pub. I won't be working for this company again and I won't be recommending them.
very fast paced but sometimes fun
My time at Mitchel and Butlers was indeed beneficial to me in a way that i learned alot and developed very useful skills. However sometimes management would be poor which made it stressful on days like sundays (due to it being a carvery)
Nice and friendly place to work
You'll meet all different type of characters, both staff and customers, and build a relationship with all. Often slow with service on some days, but always in good company.
Pros
Food discounts, friendly faces, some shift flexibility
Cons
Rapid changes of pace
interesting
working in a restaurant has many ups and downs, its a sociable job with unsociable hours. work life balance is hard to find in this company. its a great first job for students etc.
Pros
discount
Cons
unsociable hours
Not valued
For a minimum wage job you are expected to do the jobs of everyone, you’ll be cross trained but earn no pay rise!
Bullies for management, alcoholics for management

Positives are you’ll make good friends working there
Some people were happy to do minimum amout of work and let others carry them.
Ok job just found it very hard to fit in they were all very clicky and the lazy ones did very little while others had to carry the work load all while they got away with it
The hardest part of the job is when you have other staff chatting around the bar or going for cig breaks and leaving you to do there job also
The pay is terrible especially if you have numerous amounts of experience.. it is fast pace lunchtime esp when.it is warm weather and definitely evenings more towards the ending of the week.

You get 50% off food on shift they pay every 4 weeks but if you are broke and hungry guarantee they wouldn't offer youyou food
Worst company
Poor Pay
disrespect -Bullying is a big thing within this company and not dealt with -Care only for how much money they can make -Poor, training -No compassion with progressing staff -Minimal investment in staff -No regard to talent, it's all about length of service -Expected to train your fellow colleagues
Pros
Cons
Everything and you dont feel like your ever needed
Good work, good people
Pay for under 21's was poor, 6.50 if on the the dining floor, however there is a lot of skills gained from working here with many skills in the kitchen and out on the dining floor which is transferable and universal across the catering industry.
Understaffed,Under-payed, Overworked
The people in charge of the company do not care about employees.
The hours are not flexible and unless they are regulars the customers are rude. The particular establishment I worked they invested £300,000+ into doing it up to be more trendy but also lowered the overall budget, we recently had a team meeting where the assistant manager complained about overspending on labour and how there is no space for additional staff yet there are only 2 full-time bartenders to deal with the 100+ people per weekend and yet there are 3 minors working as food runners in addition to the 5+ floor staff. In addition to being understaffed, the wage is low and the hours are obscenely long per week (upwards of 40hr/week). in addition to the "optional" shifts that need to be covered and the fact you can only be guaranteed 1 day off per week if that.

DON'T waste your time working for them as you will be tired and miserable from being overworked for peanuts.
Pros
Staff benefits
Cons
Bad management, bad pay, Long hours
Very exciting but also draining
Building friendships in the team is what kept me there for so long.
The culture is fun and upbeat but you're working during sociable hours so you have no social life

Hardest part is keeping a sleeping pattern and planning ahead, we got our weekly Rota on the day it started usually which made life difficult.

Book as much holidays as you want as long as you give notice, one of the perks.

Enjoyable part was getting to keep your own tips
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Late nights
Terrible Company
M&B only care about the bottom line. The people in charge of the company do not care about employees. Having worked for M&B on and off for 2 years and 5 months it's safe to say that the wage is poor. Before I started the assistant manager told me that I was look at £8+ per hour. When I arrived at the interview it was bumped down to £7.38. The hours are not flexible and the customers are rude. I also can understand when M&B consistently put prices up every few months. Working for M&B makes you feel like you are ripping people off. In the particular establishment I worked they invested £300,000+ into doing it up to be more trendy but unfortunately did not think ahead to create an outside bar on the premises for the weekends, which staff cannot cope. hundreds of people can come on a Friday and Saturday and only 3 staff on the bar is an example of head office not thinking about ways to invest in their individual branches, only caring about their markups.
Typical bar job
Bar work in a busy local pub/restaurant. Clearing tables in the carvery, collecting glasses, stock checking and rotation. Barrel changing and general cleaning duties
serving comsters
i would go back to work for i loved my job really good place to work really nice people in and out meeting new people all the time staff are really friendly
Pros
discounts
Cons
late nights
productive and challenging
A very warm and welcoming environment.
Can be very stressful and full on.

The management team are very respectful and understanding.

A very well known restaurant in the area and is always very busy.
Fun and productive
I enjoy working for Mitchell’s and Butlers because the team I work with, including management, are helpful, work hard and also joke about with you providing a fun work environment. Management also offer rewards for achieving targets, which helps motivate you.
Pros
50% off food when on shift, 33% when not on shift
Cons
Not enough hours/days being offered
Big company
This company is a bit tricky because of all the rules and regulations. It has them in place for efficiency, but doesn't take into account contributing factors i.e. only allowing a certain amount of staff to reflect the money coming in, but not thinking of the building space. I also wasn't really trained properly because they were so understaffed.
fun workplace environment, however unfair shift patterns
Mitchell and Butlers is a rewarding company to be a part of. it is fun and enjoyable. however, the work shift patterns are unfair and could be improved.
Pros
discounts on food, promotion rewards
Cons
long hours, unfair shift pattern, missed breaks, lack of communication