Mitchells & Butlers Employee Reviews

Very good company
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Southampton9 October 2018
A great company to work for with excellent career progression, If its a long term job with bags of potential to expand your knowledge and try different brands or train others then this is the company for you.
Bad managment
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Wednesbury, West Midlands4 October 2018
Job i fell in love with, but lazy, selfish management ruined it. Allowing girls to have weekends off and pick and choose what shifts they work (including Christmas and World cup) a time when it was STRICTLY NO HOLIDAYS....
Pros
Great social benefits. Meet great people. 33% company discount
Cons
Only in this establishment but bad managment
Productive and fun place to work
Chef (Former Employee) –  Grantham, Lincolnshire25 September 2018
Always work as part of a team. And always do your best to keep the customers Happy,it is a very good company to work for, and there is opportunities to go higher ,is manager.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Fun workplace, friendly environment.
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Colne24 September 2018
I enjoyed working for Mitchell’s and Butlers. As the place I worked for changed hands I was able to see really what the difference between well organised management and really poor management was. Mitchell’s and Butlers were a great company to work under and I would happily do so again in future.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Not overly flexible around the individual
good place to work
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire20 September 2018
a good place to work great training, and pecks come with the role and the bars are always held to a high hygiene love, would definitely recommend working for this company
Fun and productive
Waiter and Bartender (Current Employee) –  Birmingham18 September 2018
I enjoy working for Mitchell’s and Butlers because the team I work with, including management, are helpful, work hard and also joke about with you providing a fun work environment. Management also offer rewards for achieving targets, which helps motivate you.
Pros
50% off food when on shift, 33% when not on shift
Cons
Not enough hours/days being offered
management
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Cumbernauld7 September 2018
the management team made this a very difficult place to work in, the had me doing such long hours that were not only unsociable but extremely tiring. Even though i done my fair share of over time, which i never got back in hours off what i was promised but they expected me to drop family events or drop holidays to cover shifts. I knew what was expected of me when i took on the job but i became very unhappy and depressed due to this job. I would not recommend working for this company at all
Pros
33% Discount
Cons
Long shifts, unfair treatment
Great Company to work for
Retail Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham6 September 2018
A great Business to work for with Multiple brands and Multiple Challenges.
Great leadership with a strong central team in head office that was there to support should you need anything.
Amazing training and ongoing coaching
Bar Staff
Bar staff (Former Employee) –  Greater Manchester28 August 2018
wouldn't rate this place. there's always member's of staff not turning into work. management expect you to stay and cover theses shifts. staff change continuously not a great place.
Fun place to work good support and training given
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Kenilworth18 August 2018
I enjoyed working here. There was a real team effort in place. We had alot of varied clientele which I really enjoyed. My boss was a very kind and approachable man who always had a door open policy. He noticed the work you put in and made you aware of it daily.
Pros
Working woth and for a great team
Mitchell and butler
Head Chef (Current Employee) –  Caerphilly, Caerphilly16 August 2018
If your willing to work hard then progression is achievable, even tho it might take time, the 33 per cent discount is a great idea as you can use in any M&B restaurant
Pros
33% discounts
No comment
Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Bickerstaffe, Lancashire15 August 2018
The place isnt great to work in, as most places have, there are little cliques that form together. Management isnt as helpful, bar one or two. No free meals or drinks, very anti-social and long hours
Pros
Not many
Cons
Fair few
An experiance
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tamworth, Staffordshire14 August 2018
Gave me a lot of training and progression over the 2 years I was with the company, met a lot of good people, only downside is the training is there but the jobs higher end jobs take a while to get after training is given
Hard, fun work
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Taunton, Somerset, Plymouth and Paignton14 August 2018
Over the summer season, you are expected to work long hours without a day off so no work life balance. There is more chance during the winter. The company gives the opportunity to train and drive your own teams.
Pros
Team
Cons
This company has killed people... only take a job here if you have no other choices
Front of House Staff (Current Employee) –  Nottingham3 August 2018
This company is disasterous. They happily pay the lowest legally possible amount and wonder why they don't attract decent staff. Any upselling incentives are a waste of time as they make no difference to you pay check (seriously, my team won an incentive and only got a box of sweets that the company was no longer allowed to sell due to sugar tax... try paying your rent with that! Because thats the thanks you get for increasing sales beyond targets).

I was promised more training and possibly a promotion if I went to another restaurant in the chain for two weeks. Two months later, I've had to take managerial tasks on in this dive, and the actual manager himself hates my guts. But why wasn't he capable of doing those jobs? And why was I only on £7.38 an hour? Burgers were coming out frozen, mold on some food items... even the refill drinks machine spat out ants due to a hole in the back of the wall which exposed some foundations. I had to deal with the wrath of the public while the manager hid in his little air-conditioned office behind a computer as the complaints came in thick and strong... him no doubt chuckling to himself whilst watching me loose self-respect via the CCTV.
When I finally got back to my original restaurant of employment, I had my hours slashed because they had taken people on in my absence to the point where I could pay my bills, but I had to ask my mum for food money because of how poorly I had been paid... just about £500. It was clear this company had zero concern for my personal life, even after all my collegues reminded me how thin I had gotten. Nothing
  more... is worse than going hungry to work in a place that serves food!

This company doesn't care about you or your bills... they dont care about how much they pay you and if you're eating or not. You're dispensable. They only have a finite amount of hours to give out anyway, and most of them get eaten up but people with contracts. The hourly employees then have to fight for the remaining hours... where are my rights in this matter? Where is my right to work and earn a decent wage? Not hanker around a restaurant hoping the manager will let me start my shift so I can pay my bills.

Mitchells and Butlers have already stated in their annual report how they dont want to give their staff the living wage, as its a risk to investors. They want more apprentices working for somewhere between £4-£5 an hour only to become qualified to fry a fish after 3 years. The laugh is when they fire these appentices and just hire more as soon as the apprenticeship is up to save paying them a full wage. Is it any wonder that this company has killed its customers in the past when they have a clear lack of regard for those enforcing their practices and hire kids to cook the food?
Pros
Good people, Staff discount (not that you want to eat at work on your days off)
Cons
Low pay, poor management, serious lack of motivation across the board.
Hard work low wage
Sous Chef (Current Employee) –  Hornchurch17 July 2018
The typical full time 40 hour a week life of a harvester chef consists of working harder than your average employee. getting paid far too little and working illegal hours i.e 14 hours a day. such as 7 hour shift followed by 1 or 2 hour break followed by another 7 hour shift in the same day.
Pros
staff discount on food
Cons
low pay long hours
Not so fun at the top
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Essex12 July 2018
As an AM for M&B all was good. I was due a nice bonus and was also due a bonus for bringing in 3 managers. But we had a audit and i got suspended for somthing thst happened in the business before i got there!!! I lost my bonus and lost my bonus for brining in 3 managers. All the top cats want you to work every hr possible and gice you very little help!
Pros
Work with good people
Cons
No help from corprate. No staff hrs... have to oay for food whilst doing the regular 12/14 hr shift
Fun workplace
Bartender/Waitress (Current Employee) –  Mitchell’s and butlers10 July 2018
A typical day at work would be rushing on the floor to collect glasses. Upholding the cleanliness and good customer service to around 20+ Table while helping serve drinks at the bar if necessary.
Pros
Discount lunches
Cons
Staff shortage
Company
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire10 July 2018
Very good company to work for. Good training programs to help you for fill your job role. They teach you how to plan events promote events and look at the what you could do different.
Pros
staff discount
Excellent hospitality introduction
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Swansea1 July 2018
If ever looking to get into the hospitality sector Mitchells & Butlers is an exemplary workplace.

The typical day would consist of cleaning the bar and serving customers throughout the shift. Learned many things working within the Mitchells & Butlers restaurants, they are incredibly informative and train you properly.

Management were disappointing as there were no clear instruction on who was the manager of the day as no one would step forward to deal with issues if any arose. Many employees felt as if they were not secure when working under these managers.

The most enjoyable part of the job would be the workplace culture as everyone got along with one another and made shifts enjoyable and memorable.
Pros
Shifts, Staff