Mitchells & Butlers Employee Reviews

Enjoyable and pleasant place to work
Front of House Staff (Former Employee) –  Poynton19 April 2018
Great company to work for. Very happy and driven workforce with the right mentality and abilities. Sometimes stressful during busy periods such as holiday seasons.
A good workplace with discounts available.
Bar Staff/Waiter (Current Employee) –  Worcester Park, Greater London11 April 2018
Each day is different at the Toby Carvery as the customers make the day interesting. You will be making drinks and serving tables, ensuring the customers' satisfaction is at a high.
fun environment, not enough work and people ethique
Chef (Former Employee) –  Christleton, Cheshire4 April 2018
a 9 hour shift full with ups and downs, busy country pub
I've learned a lot from my head chef regarding cooking and presenting
Management wasn't verry suportive
Most of my collegues didn't have the required working ethique
Busy yet Fun
Bar Staff (Current Employee) –  Parbold, Lancashire3 April 2018
Great place to work, I love meeting new people and seeing new faces everyday.
The people that I work along side are great everybody gets along fine and support is great too.
Food is terrible
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Basingstoke30 March 2018
Money is good but you will not have time to spend it, as you're expected to work every weekend and every Friday night!

Work to home balance is non existent.

Don't ask for compassionate leave for even for the worst case family emergency situation, as you wont get it, not even given the chance to talk it through or explain. Was given an ultimatum, "be at work or don't bother coming back!"

Training is good, but executing it is another matter. You never get a chance to actually manage the restaurant/pub. You will always be a staff member down...so roll up your sleeves you're an over paid waiter at the end of the day!!
Pros
cheap food, money
Cons
long hour work/home balance
2 Year employment
Waiter/Bar Staff (Current Employee) –  Godalming25 March 2018
Terrible management, low salary, zero incentive towards job advancement as the salary barely goes up with the monumental stack of responsibilities that come with a promotion etc.
Friendly atmosphere
Food runner (Former Employee) –  Brookwood, Surrey16 March 2018
Some really friendly faces but like most places also some not, lovely atmosphere for the guests and brilliant scenery, warm fires inside the pub, beautifully laid tables, lovely garden for the summer or for anyone who wishes to smoke, dogs are allowed in the bar area only but always get a free bowl of water whitch helps them feel included aswell and also stops them from pinching your food. The menu is a little over priced but are served with excellent presentation. I would recommend the pub but only if you want to have a nice dinner or lunch but I’m the other hand you could probably find a better place to work.
Pros
Making other people’s meals out high quality
Cons
Bad management.
Nice place to work
Apprentice Chef (Former Employee) –  Brighton15 March 2018
This is a nice place to work with a good team my time spent here I got taught a lot sometimes management can be abit rude but I guess its there job I go back to eat here every now and then the hardest part of the job is called back up making sure that the deck is refreshed at all times and the best part is the team of outstanding chefs you get to work with along the way all in all a good restaurant
Pros
good team
Cons
long hours not the best wage
productive and busy workplace
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton, West Midlands28 February 2018
I really enjoyed working for a branch like this. it was a very tight nit family environment and everyone looked out for each other. I gained really good experience and grew my confidence from being interactive with so many different people. it was very professional and taught me a lot of things.
Good work experience
Chef (Former Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire9 February 2018
The carvery kitchens are hard to work in with a range of duties to gain good chef qualities, there was NVQ Training there & opportunities to work within the company
Pros
Great skills
Exciting place to work
Shift Supervisor/ duty manager (Current Employee) –  Newport9 February 2018
Amazing staff and restaurant always makes me feel welcome the food it hot and tasty reasonable prices will defiantly be returning to try something else of the menu
Long Hours, decent staff
Kitchen Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside1 February 2018
Started on 15 hour contract was soon doing closer to 40 which would often turn to over 60 with covering staff leaving/illness which is common in this type of work. Typical day is cooking breakfast whilst preparing for daytime service, cleaning kitchen after lunch and before dinner then closing down and going home. Management in my pub are good and gave me oppuritnity to move up to team leader after 8 months. Other staff are good, the ones that stay! Hardest part are 15 hour shifts and being up again the next day. Most enjoyable is making guests smile and happy with my food.
Pros
Good team, chance of movement up
Cons
Long hours, high turnover of staff
Flexible working is not available
Retail Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Midlands24 January 2018
There is very little work / life balance at M&B, working over the normal working week is expected and there is no consideration for flexible working.
The culture of the business is unfriendly and horrible.
Pros
33% staff discount
Cons
Pay, work/life balance, horrible culture
Would love to work between people and help hold justice
Cheff (Current Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex23 January 2018
I am 27 years young girl ,who love learning a new things , helping people and be part of new and good team .
Also i speak 3 language so i could be help for those who doesnt speak Czech, slovakia and is impossible to understand them .
Pros
Free lounches
Cons
Short and long week
You get out what you put in
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Various23 January 2018
Can be very rewarding although always very tiring. I learned a lot in my role including health and safety in work the workplace and first aid.
Like all jobs, some managers are good, some are bad.
There seems to be a culture of "if there is time for you to have a break, you will. If not, you won't." I would often work from 0800 - 2300+ without a break.
Pros
Fantastic discounts
Cons
very long hours. As a manager you are expected to work way more than you are contracted to.
It was a standard restaurant style job
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes and Shoreham22 January 2018
It was a standard restaurant style job typical waitress had to depend on tips to make salary worth staying for unfortunately management changed regularly and needs of individual staff were never important as waiting staff is easy to come by
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
High turnover
Standard workplace
Chef (Former Employee) –  New Brighton, Merseyside16 January 2018
Sacked for foul language fair enough could of been giving another chance considering kitchen manager goes in drunk and gm comes and goes when ever he e wants
Pros
Met few good people
Cons
No life . Underpaid and over worked not aloud to progress if management dont like you
good workplace
shift/restaurant manager (Former Employee) –  Stafford, Staffordshire12 January 2018
i learnt alot here about working in customer service. the brand standard is very high so with this you push yourself to always give the best in whatever you are doing. Management were great at their job and you look up to them. the hardest part would be when it can be busy periods but you get through it when you are working with a great team.
Perfect
Waitress/Bar Staff (Current Employee) –  Sheffield6 January 2018
Working for a small family owned pub was a beautiful experience. Building a relationship with guest especially regulars was a unique experience and something I would very much like to have the opportunity to do again.
Pros
Friendly welcoming atmosphere
Cons
My uncle was my boss
Mixed bag
Back of House (Current Employee) –  Beckenham4 January 2018
I was incredibly happy at my previous premises, we had a fabulous team committed to doing our best. But when the head office chose to close our premises, things took a dramatic turn. Myself & my team began to lose confidence in our job security and we did not feel appreciated for any of our many achievements or met targets.

Upon beginning at my new role, the chaos continued. I received no formal training from management, they failed to give me the required personal protective equipment & I work with a team who try their absolute hardest but receive no recognition for their efforts. Morale is low & I struggle to get through a shift without feeling down-trodden.
Pros
Hard working team
Cons
feeling unappreciated