Mitchells & Butlers Employee Reviews

Standard workplace
Chef (Former Employee) –  New Brighton, Merseyside16 January 2018
Sacked for foul language fair enough could of been giving another chance considering kitchen manager goes in drunk and gm comes and goes when ever he e wants
Pros
Met few good people
Cons
No life . Underpaid and over worked not aloud to progress if management dont like you
good workplace
shift/restaurant manager (Former Employee) –  Stafford, Staffordshire12 January 2018
i learnt alot here about working in customer service. the brand standard is very high so with this you push yourself to always give the best in whatever you are doing. Management were great at their job and you look up to them. the hardest part would be when it can be busy periods but you get through it when you are working with a great team.
Perfect
Waitress/Bar Staff (Current Employee) –  Sheffield6 January 2018
Working for a small family owned pub was a beautiful experience. Building a relationship with guest especially regulars was a unique experience and something I would very much like to have the opportunity to do again.
Pros
Friendly welcoming atmosphere
Cons
My uncle was my boss
Mixed bag
Back of House (Current Employee) –  Beckenham4 January 2018
I was incredibly happy at my previous premises, we had a fabulous team committed to doing our best. But when the head office chose to close our premises, things took a dramatic turn. Myself & my team began to lose confidence in our job security and we did not feel appreciated for any of our many achievements or met targets.

Upon beginning at my new role, the chaos continued. I received no formal training from management, they failed to give me the required personal protective equipment & I work with a team who try their absolute hardest but receive no recognition for their efforts. Morale is low & I struggle to get through a shift without feeling down-trodden.
Pros
Hard working team
Cons
feeling unappreciated
Unhealthy environment
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Preston1 January 2018
Whilst I worked here it was very childish like experience as other co-workers would not be nice to other co-workers. I also got underpaid. The management team also don't have a clue what they are doing or how to treat employees.
Pros
50% off food on the day of shift.
Cons
Bad quality food and services.
Fun
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside31 December 2017
I worked for Mitchell and butlers for roughly two years I enjoyed my time there was given opportunity S and made the most of it getting my personal licence and working my way up to shift supervisor
Pros
Being given opportunitys
Cons
Miss management
terrible place to work
Front of House (Former Employee) –  Rotherham29 December 2017
this place is a terrible place to work, no management team for several months, no structure and they change rotas at less than a days notice. rude staff and holding managers demote you from your original role and from 48 hours right down to 10 hours this is per week, ive been doing 10 hours per day so to go to that is ridiculous. see trip advisor for customer reviews it says it all really. a farse and a joke.
Pros
transport links
Cons
management, team and the business in general
Great Atmosphere
Manager (Former Employee) –  London28 December 2017
Working in a fun fill group at this pub had been a warming experience - i was sad to leave due to life style changes but those who want to work there will be very happy im sure. I learnt so much and that carried me up towards becoming the Manager.
Like going back to victorian times
FOH Team Member (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire28 December 2017
I worked FOH. My OH was kitchen. 14 hour shifts no proper breaks. When you ask for a break you get looked at like you have swore. Victorian working.
Hard work!!!
Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands22 December 2017
they can push you to your limits with nothing back but a thank you off your manager!
constantly short staffed because that's all head office allow!
Expect phone calls to cover shifts!!!
fun, stressful, learning experience
Front of house staff (Former Employee) –  Epping, Essex20 December 2017
staff are very easy going and very friendly.
but management was a nightmare and things never seemed to get done on their end.

Stock was always an issue and none of the mangers would ever take responsibility for their lack of diligence.

i did learn and adapt my skills by mentoring newer staff members, and really appreciated the responsibility of it.

the most enjoyable part of the job was working along side the front of house staff.

and the hardest part was trying to make up for the lack of support from the General Manager of our establishment, thankfully our assistant manager was amazing and would really help us out when things were going south.
Pros
the front of house staff
Cons
management
Strive to give good service
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Harvester Maidstone18 December 2017
Mitchell’s and butler have been a great company to work for. Always being flexible and accommodating family commitments with work needs. Working with you and supporting your role.
Pros
Discounted food. Even off shift
Cons
Used to be a good place to work.
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Croston, Lancashire4 December 2017
Used to be a really good family place to work, very bad manager and everyone is leaving, it’s lost good family values that it was when I started. When we were like a happy family, it’s a family pub that’s what I miss, everyone helping each other, no nasty people there. Not a single thank you ever in the last year since new manager started, doesn’t care about anyone.
Pros
Discounts on food and drinks at all M&Bs aswell.
Cons
Bad pay
Nice people to work with and customers are easy to get a long with
Glass Collector (Former Employee) –  West Midlands1 December 2017
it was a nice job every Friday 5 till close got along with the staff and the Customers the only problem was the 7 hours a week and I didn't like the late Finnish
overly complex rules and red tape.work hard and you will be rewarded though
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Leeds And Bradford, Yorkshire1 December 2017
No such thing as a typical day.If you are willing to learn the training material is extensive but you will need to do it in your own time.management is poor in general due to an over complex heirarcy of management which slows results.Be prepared to work lots of hours.you will meet a lot of good people
Pros
good rates of pay
Good starting point
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Tamworth16 November 2017
I believe that the time i spent at Mitchells and Butlers was a good starting point for me to experience working life and the commitments that came along with it.
Good Job, Good People, Unsocial Hours
Grill Chef (Current Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent11 November 2017
Your days can consist of working up to 14 hours.
It has given me skills, to deal with pressure, to stay calm in a fast paced environment, Presentation skills.

Trentham Lakes management team are amazing, and cater to your needs extremely well
Fun place to work and good people to work with.
Hardest part of the job is the late nights followed by the early mornings.
The rush of a busy shift, putting out check after check after check with 0 complaints gives you a sense of accomplishment !
Pros
Half price food
Cons
Long Hours
Alright
Bar Staff and Waitress (Former Employee) –  Guildford9 November 2017
The manager is a lovely person, but whilst being onsite a lot ,rarely works. The staff are cliquey and hard to get in with, this being said the turn over rate of staff is astronomical. The pay is insanely low, and you end up working a ridiculous number of hours to make a good wage.
Pros
50% off staff lunch
Cons
low wage, long shift
Lovely pub, nice staff
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Kew Green8 November 2017
Loved the pub and the customers.
I learnt a lot during my time working here through the other team leaders.
As a company, it lacked any incentive to do well, they should provide little perks for hard working team members e.g free lunch/drink every now and then, or praise of some sort, would encourage the staff to do well for the company with more passion! :)
Getting very profit focussed but customers are still a priority
Manager, various restaurants (Former Employee) –  Birmingham6 November 2017
Ok company, chances of progress are good , basic pay, high expectations, work-life balance if fully staffed, but it doesn’t happen often.Managers expected to cover for everybody , so you may lose holiday entitlement. Good company if you really enjoy customer service and have high standards.
Pros
33% discount in company businesses
Cons
No work-life balance for managers