mirus Wales Employee Reviews

Person centred support
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff20 October 2018
Good training and induction programme and opportunities to do a qualification. I support people with their daily routines which include going to classes and social activities also.
Person centred organisation that make a real impact on people’s lives. I hear stories where people achieve new thing all the time and it’s nice to be a part of that
Pros
Lovely teams
Cons
Unsociable hours but to be expected in this field
Very worthwhile . fabulous teams who make a real difference to people’s lives
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff19 October 2018
No two days are the same . It’s great to be part of a team that makes a positive impact on someone’s life helping them to achieve their goals and become more independent .
Management are supportive and helpful .
Great events where people we support have a voice and say what they want for the next year.
Pros
Great management team . Rewards scheme. good training
Cons
Can be long hours
Very poor place to work
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff3 October 2018
The management at this company is the worst I have ever come across. They don’t care about staff or their work life balance all they care about is if the shifts are covered no matter how long they are. As a member of staff I feel under appreciated and that is why I am leaving.
Pros
Working with clients
Cons
Everything as they don’t listen.
11 October 2018

Hello - At mirus we do take staff feedback really seriously and are always interested in learning about the experiences of our staff.

I understand you are due to leave us, would you therefore be interested in contacting me directly at JamieM@mirus-wales.org.uk to share your journey with myself in more depth.

Naturally we will not get it right with everyone, but your feedback will assist within our future development.

If I do not hear back from you, I really do wish you every success. All the best Jamie

not the best welcome or induction for new employees
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff2 September 2018
When I secured a job with this company I found myself just chucked into the deep end with no support. The training is good but there is no work life balance as I am expected to work well over my hours on low pay. The manager is on the sick as are many of the other support workers in the house I work in.

I took one client away on their holidays for 7 days and received very little pay for this; I have a friend who works for another company in Cardiff and all staff are paid for every hour they work when away on client hols! Staff working for this company also have a bonus at Christmas time too.

There is an unhealthy culture of controlling staff from the senior management and were told that the board of trustees will not listen to any staff concerns or complaints.

This was the most depressing job I have ever had and I am currently waiting to start with another company in Cardiff.

The only upside to this company is that many employees like me DO genuinely care about the clients.
Pros
some staff really care about the clients
Cons
too many long hours with little support
11 October 2018

Hello - I can see that you have left mirus employment.

It was a shame to hear of your experience and I want to highlight that we work hard at getting it right with staff teams. Sometimes unfortunately we realise that this will not always go to plan depending on environmental factors we have little to no control over that may have an influence over situations at the time.

If you are keen to share your experiences with me I do welcome hearing back from you at JamieM@mirus-wales.org.uk

All the best Jamie

I would be back in a flash
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Powys9 July 2018
I started work at mirus in 2015 as a support worker and left 2017 as I was moving away and mirus didn't have houses where I was moving too or I would still be with them I absolutely loved my time with mirus fabulous management who were a constant support I progressed to assistant manager and stood in as manager when required the service users where amazing and I will always miss them dearly I can't recommend mirus highly enough having worked in the care sector for 13 years mirus is by far the best
Pros
Supportive excellent ethos fabulous people they support
Cons
Poorly paid as is everyone in care sector
7 August 2018

Thank you for your very rounded feedback. If your circumstances ever change and you find yourself moving to the area, please get in touch with us.

All the best, Jamie (HR Manager)

fun and productive workplace but challenging at times
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Ystradgynlais, Powys13 May 2018
caring and assistant clients with disabilities and their needs.
learnt how to care and support people from all walks of life.
management were very fair and reasonable to work beside.
culture in the workplace was very calm at times but could also be challenging.
hardest part was the long hours being away from family and small baby.
very enjoyable job, getting praised from service users helping them achieve tasks and goals and we could do many fun activities indoors or outdoors such as swimming, bowling, cinema etc.
Pros
very good job
Cons
Great friendly place to work
Casual support worker (Current Employee) –  Wales20 January 2018
Great job supporting people with disabilities to learn skills maintain their home and become part of their community . If your motivated you can get a lot of job satisfaction in return.
Pros
Good training friendly relaxed interview process opportunity for overtime if wanted
organisation with good values with focus on achieving real outcomes for the people they support
Manager (Current Employee) –  wales14 January 2018
A great place to work with opportunities for career progression for those who are keen. The job is varied and the focus is where it should be achieving outcomes for the people supported to enhance their lives. Colleagues in all departments friendly and helpful. The day to day challenges are made much easier by a supportive team around you. Training and induction was positive and of good quality.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the people we support and the job satisfaction of being part of a team of people who help them achieve their personal goals.
Pros
Supportive helpful colleagues. Being part of a team achieving real outcomes for people, regular opportunities for career progression
Cons
sometimes long hours
good career progression person centred organisation
Manager (Current Employee) –  Wales26 June 2017
Good Opportunities for Learning and to gain qualifications
great support at all levels
Huge Focus / commitment to Supporting people to achieve goals and develop their skills
Variety no two days are the same
Well established organisation
Reward scheme for employees
Pros
Making a difference to people's lives daily
Cons
Can be long hours
not a good place to be
Senior Support Worker/Link worker (Current Employee) –  Bridgend, Bridgend3 June 2017
All take no give Poor management, no supervision/Appraisal given after probation or after 1year, Shambolic The area directors are not aware of what is going on at the coal face and there are to many places to hide mistakes.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Live to work culture
8 June 2017

Hello - I am the HR Manager and would love to hear of your experiences directly.

Email me at JamieM@mirus-wales.org.uk

Thanks, Jamie

Good
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Aberystwyth29 May 2017
Long hours and distance traveling between member. Members were lovely to work with. Management tried to find a happy medium between staff and members
It's nice to work for a company that tries to live by its values
Manager (Current Employee) –  Wales25 May 2017
I've worked for mirus for about 18 months and have enjoyed every second so far. The teams I work are highly committed, and are always very supportive. The organisation really tries to put the things in place to support people to develop and achieve their potential. One impressive aspect of the organisation is that although mistakes will inevitably be made; there is a real willingness to positively learn from the mistakes.

The learning opportunities available recognise that to support great employees, you need learning that extends beyond just the basic, core topics. I really feel the organisation is trying to continually develop on a journey, and isn't afraid of trying to break new ground.

The work is demanding and challenging at times, but the satisfaction from helping and supporting people to improve themselves or others is a great pay-back.

My manager is extremely supportive, providing a high level of freedom, trust, and support when required. A brief chat can sometimes make big challenges feel a lot more manageable.
Pros
Good values, positive culture, high satisfaction levels, good recognition & achievements programmes
Great company to work for.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Powys20 October 2016
I find Mirus a great company to work for, the training is extensive, there's a really lovely team spirit amongst the teams and the opportunity's for progression are plentiful.
I have been encouraged and supported to complete my qualifications through my work role and am always made to feel like a very valued member within the team.
Pros
Great training, opportunity to progress, rewarding job.
Great company to work for. I really cannot speak more highly about mirus. Everyone is so inspirational!
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Powys16 September 2015
Love mirus, love the people I support and the staff and management team I work with are second to none. I have worked in previous care companies and really praise the work the management staff team do. They really do care and totally take on board the best interests of the people we all support.

If anyone was looking for a carer change I cannot comment enough that they need to apply to mirus and relaunch their career if they are fed up where they currently work. I have had great training since joining and the opportunities to acquire new experiences and skills have been excellent. But the main thing for me I have been supported throughout this journey.

I read some negative comments below. I was really shocked and feel this is a select group of the normal negative type of people that great employers occasionally have to burden. This really I promise you is not how everyone see's mirus and its management team. I have great respect for them. I have even met the CEO and Op's Director, great people.

I hope this inspires you all to think of a job in care, its a great field and if you are looking for someone special to work for go mirus all the way.
Pros
Competitive salary and terms for the industry sector. Friendly, rewarding and supportive culture
Cons
Salary could be better, but that's the sector constraints and funding cuts driving this
you personally feel you make a difference
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  cardiff19 August 2015
I love my job ! There are lots of ways that I make a difference. Yes the pay is not good but that is across all organisations working in this field. I am encouraged to do lots of training and even to get a formal qualification. There are often management opportunities if that's what you want. My manager really supports me and my shifts are often in line with my home and family commitments.
Pros
rewarding job
Cons
pay could be better
Poor Place to Work
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, WLS27 July 2014
Not valued as a staff member
No progression available