Ministry of Justice Employee Reviews

very busy and interesting
Court Usher (Current Employee) –  Carlisle8 August 2016
the work is very interesting and can be very varied. You are dealing with defendants and claimants and also vulnerable people
Pros
flexi time
Cons
very hard work
Great place to work, as long as you have got experience in many of the departments!
Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Birmingham7 August 2016
I worked here for a very long time and was proactive in my personal development. I made sure that when opportunities came up to move to other teams and get involved with other departments I was there.
I started off within the post team and did every job from stamping post to mailing to stamping very important lasting power of attorney documentation and letters. After working through many departments I settled as a case work managing individual files and cases and having a strong enough skills set to be called upon throughout the company to support when it was required and during busy times with overtime opportunities.
Known throughout the company as an approachable, bubbly and happy to train other individual I not only enjoyed working with other, but enjoyed being able to be honest and ask to take on more challenging roles.
All managers where different, like everywhere I had my favourites and still keep in touch to this day. The same with colleagues.
Pros
Training, One to one, meetings, flexibility, overtime, projects, various areas to work, progression, free drinks.
Cons
high staff turn over, constantly changing manager, job secruity
Productive ,friendly ,Have respect for Family Value
Data Quality/Compliance Analyst (Current Employee) –  London3 August 2016
Its a very good environment to work.Flexible and all member of staffs
are very friendly and down to earth.Lots of training and developments are available.The senior Management are also very friendly and understanding.Its a very good Place to work.
Pros
Flexible time, clock in before 10 am
Cons
nil
Good place to work - great people!
Senior Contracts Manager (Former Employee) –  London2 August 2016
Spent five enjoyable years working at MoJ in London alongside some really talented people. Wish them all the best.
A typical day at work.
Civilian Enforcement Officer. ( Warrant Officer ) (Current Employee) –  Wrexham based.20 July 2016
I actively participate and contribute in compiling rotas with my colleagues on Convenient Court Fines and GAP Court days throughout the North Wales area - to arrest and take into custardy defendants on " No Bail Warrants " along with those who are on suspended committals. This is carried out by targeting old / high / won't pay defendants.
The team meets up regularly to work out a plan to address these visits ( Best times, dates for example ) taking into account confidentiality and data protection.
Interesting place to work
Commercial Contract Manager (Former Employee) –  London6 July 2016
Large Government department delivering Justice in England and Wales.
I was mainly involved in the procurement of rehabilitation service contracts for HM Prison Service
Great Job
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Letters, UK30 June 2016
It was a friendly office environtment, work was straight forward. People there were friendly, all in all a great place to work.
Modern company trying to bring justice system into 21st century
Angular 1.5 and 2.0 and TypeScript (Former Employee) –  Croydon17 June 2016
A company that likes to keep ahead of the field wrt technology
One of the first to use Angular 2, even before it was fully released
Still in RC -
Pros
Most up to date technologies
Cons
Friendly atmosphere, very professional colleagues.
Temp. Administration Officer (Former Employee) –  London15 June 2016
I helped open and sort incoming post, responded to customer correspondence. Each day I would be given particular task such as opening customer files, file making permission granted, issuing decisions, issuing permission refused. I learned how to answer many telephone calls from customers and law firms. I benefitted a great deal from the traning, advice and examples provided by colleagues, who always had time to help me to become familiar with the work.
Five managers in my time there, good to outstanding professionalism.
Some of the tasks were time consuming and uninteresting, such as checking pages and the numbering of 300 - 400 page files. I most enjoyed serving as Liasion Officer because of greater variety of responsibilities and opportunity for increased communication with the judiciary.
Pros
Flexi time, relaxed atmosphere
Cons
Work load increased greatly during some periods
Excellent
Court Listings and Office Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Chelmsford5 June 2016
A great company to work for with a variety of different excellent opportunities. It has really given me so many more skills and allowed me to develop as an individual.
well organised and professional approach
2nd/3rd line support analyst (Former Employee) –  Crewe15 April 2016
I worked for MOJ for 5 years and in that time I was pleased with the professional approach that all staff maintained when solving computer related issues with Judges and all judicial staff.
Whilst working for Atos and supporting the MOJ I was impressed with the management style used by my immediate superiors and also their management. There was definite move to encourage excellent teamwork and create a co-operative working environment.
At times there were particularly difficult IT issues which may have to be dealt with over the weekend and required cross dept. knowledge sharing. At Atos team work and knowledge sharing was an important aspect of office culture and was instilled into all new employees.
Pros
Free medical care
Cons
weekend cover
productive place to work
admin officer (Former Employee) –  Leicester13 April 2016
the daily work was good not much of a challenge but generally good, management was good to a certain level. I have learned a lot of the mental health department and how the system works for people. The people who worked there were very helpful and understanding and enjoyed working as a team and on my own.
Pros
flexible
Cons
need a set team leader
Too many managers great work life balance
Digital Business Analyst / Scrum Master (Former Employee) –  St. James's Park Station4 April 2016
There are way too many managers and everybody is not in a haste to get things done. But great work life balance not great for a seasoned contractor
Pros
work fro home two days a week
Cons
Dealing with many managers
departments vary
Case Progression Officer (Current Employee) –  Birmingham31 March 2016
Management is terrible, they do not know what they are doing and managers are put in place to come out with brilliant ideas for the senior managers to be fed rubbish and agree some sort of new procedure, its who you know and NOT what you know.
Most are either sitting bored or relaxing doing nothing or even wondering around for most part the day catching up with their 'mates'

Depending on which department you are placed in can be relaxed or stressful. Trying to get the their moneys worth after making bad financial decisions and investing in technology sold to them that does not work - this is what happens when you put idiots in charge of buying.

Forcing staff to work unreasonable requests and then smiling and questioning you and asking if its unreasonable and expecting a answer of 'No' and to agree with them and not to refuse work EVER, even is you are overworked with a heavy workload.

Constant DAILY change in procedures nothing set in stone, hot-desking

Nowhere to actually buy food within the building really- you have to venture out if, god forbid you forget your lunch.
Pros
flex-time
Cons
management target you no matter who you are, hot desking, terrible facilites which are non existent
poor managment and unstable workplace
officer support grade (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge6 March 2016
been here for a few months and not what it lives up to.
unsteady workplace and shift pattern a poor pay for responsibilities.
Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  Basildon3 March 2016
Sorting and Processing of attachment of earnings cases. Then taking the payments for these cases. There would be up to 30 to 40 cases a day. It is a pretty relaxed environment as long as we are getting the job done.
awlful place, cold and unwelcoming
Regional Commissioning Manager (Former Employee) –  London28 February 2016
treated awlfully, seems the old boy network is still alive in 2014,

treated like a commoner

useless management

embarassing HR and shared services
Very demanding and mind numbing!
Admin Officer (Former Employee) –  Regent's Park22 February 2016
Constant changes, bullied by incompetent managers, Have more money than sense. Some of the buildings had inadequite facilities to enable work to be done, eg heating, lighting etc.
Pros
Flexi time
Cons
Too many targets
My experience as a Probation Officer
Probation Officer (Former Employee) –  London8 February 2016
I have worked for the MOJ for over six years. Very high caseload, duplication, unnecessary bureaucracy and lack of support from managers.
Pros
Flexible hours, supportive colleagues
Cons
Very high caseload, level of stress, lack of support
I enjoy the work
Audio Typist/Legal Secretary (Current Employee) –  Leicester, ENG15 January 2016
Can be a good place to work if you are in the right team. Poor career advancement opportunities. It is a nice environment and easy going atmosphere.
Pros
Nice environment
Cons
No payrise

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ministry of Justice. Our community is ready to answer.