Ministry of Justice Employee Reviews

Think about it
Ex prison officer (Former Employee) –  Hmp lindholme2 March 2017
If you want an employer who expects everything and does its best to break you then this is the job for you. Management show no support and you are treated as a number.
Expect to be insulted, assaulted and worked to the max for no thanks what so ever.
There is no work life balance, they may advertise this but when you ask you don't get it, the amount of leave is great but you can never get it granted when you apply for it and wages are terrible for new staff. Why would anyone want to be spat at, sworn at, punched, kicked and dealing with drug fuelled prisoners everyday for 21k, not to mention working every Christmas and new year (you may get one day off if you're lucky).
Seriously think about it before you apply.
Pros
Leave if you can get it
Cons
Too many to list
A secure job with good pay
Prison Officer (Current Employee) –  Winchester, Hampshire11 February 2017
Every day is different and calls into use all my skills.I look after a range of people with a lot of different issues,I work to a set shift pattern so work eveing and weekends.
Pros
Wages
Cons
Being assaulted
great place to work
OSG (Former Employee) –  bullingdon3 February 2017
Prison officers were great, but spineless and gutless managers in abundance. beware of other OSGs who lie to protect their own interests and those with family connections who will happily stab you in the back over nothing, be warned they are protected despite leaving co-workers to do their work
Pros
most of people are great
Cons
weak managers
Good place to start out
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester22 January 2017
Enjoyed my time here. Ony reason I left as pogression and promotion was hindered due to government cut backs.

Bit of a ratty enviroment but generally everyone kind hearted.

Too many over paid managers.

Too many chiefs not enough actual workers.
Don't do it.
Prison Officer (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London22 January 2017
If you're a prisoner, this employer is great. They'll ensure you get everything you're entitled. If you're a member of staff, you'll have to fight for everything, even for them to acknowledge their own policies. You will be just a number and there will be no loyalty from NOMS or the MOJ. You will be expected to bend over backwards to make the system work for an employer that does not understand its own business. The only benefit is the strength of camaraderie between your colleagues. You are all in it together, it's dangerous and there's no support when it goes wrong. If you get injured at work, they'll sack you.
Pros
Cons
Loads of them.
Highly Dangerous and Extremely poor management
Senior Officer/Band 4 (Former Employee) –  East Anglia9 January 2017
I got out after being assaulted. Staffing levels are such that it is only a matter of time before a member of staff is murdered!! Majority of managers I had the misfortune to work with, are back stabbers who will compromise safety in order to further their own gains.
I have seen young 'kids' come into the job who have been totally disgruntled and shellshocked within 6-12 months.

Yes the starting pay isn't bad but its only £5k more than what I started on in 1995. Overtime is plenty but that leads to tiredness and mistakes, plus you need to be alive to spend it.
Pros
Starting wage, free assaults and as much excrement thrown at you as you can handle
Cons
Too many to list
proactive
Switchboard Advisor (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff4 January 2017
A typical day would consist of communicating with prison officers daily, Mainly making sure their salary was consistent and HR was up to standard. hardest part was the pressure of how many errors there could possibly be from one mistake.
Pros
amazing company
Established
USHER/ADMINISTRATION ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  London29 December 2016
Collating.
Disposing
Customer Service
How records are kept.
Good coworkers.
Meeting and greeting new people everyday.
Pros
flexi hours
Cons
no canteen
Don't bother
Administration Officer (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear28 December 2016
Management in this organisation are only bothered by targets, staff do not matter at all. I worked for them for 9 years and it progressively got a worse place to work. No chance of promotion as the organisation is to top heavy and if you ever think your getting a pay rise think again. The salary may seem good but for what is expected it really isn't.
Pros
Flexi (if you ever get to take it)
Cons
Management, very target driven
Generally a lovely place to work
Finance Employee (Former Employee) –  London21 December 2016
Lovely people, great culture, flexible work environment.

As with most public sector role, major downfall is the salary and the never ending pay freeze.
Pros
Friendly People, Flexible work environment
Cons
Lack of pay increases
Decent Central Government Department
Budget Manager (Former Employee) –  Central London16 December 2016
Employed for just over 9 years - part of which was spent in an 'Arm's Length Body' (ALB) of the Department.
Most of my duties centred around the month/year end management accounting processes - including, but not restricted to, completion of monthly finance returns, analysis of monthly budget/forecast data and reporting on same to senior management team, running and analysis of monthly payroll report, collating and analysis of finance data received from other ALBs, preparation of monthly Management Information pack for central finance team, dealing with 'ad-hoc' finance queries.
Most of my skills/knowledge gained through experience working in MOJ (and other organisations) - commenced AAT studies (through MOJ professional training scheme)
I was personally very lucky in having some great line, and other, managers who were always happy to advise and assist as necessary.
Hardest part of job - being able to impress Government finance rules and explain finance processes to 'non-finance' colleagues
Most enjoyable part of the job - the people I worked with, the general office environments and the benefits/opportunities
Pros
Great benefits e.g.flexible working, generous annual leave, training/development opportunities
Cons
Personally, the long commute to/from work but also, latterly, some uncertainty in terms of the Department's future direction, structure etc
Excellent
Admin Officer (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands26 November 2016
Great Job, will continue to work here. very happy with everything. Love everything here. Great pay rates, good environment. Will Stay.
Productive and Fun work place
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  London21 November 2016
Excellent people to have worked with, very caring and considerate managers.
Lovely co-workers always willing to give you helping hand and very supportive. Overall i had really enjoyed my time in the department of justice and was a pleasure to have had the opportunity to work within a wonderful team of people.
Pros
Good management
Constent Changes
Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  London17 November 2016
I have joined the civil service since 2003, and just recently have changed 3 job roles since I have started with the MoJ, the positive side of this is that I have learned different skills whilst working for the MoJ.
Pros
Flexibilty, Annual Leave.
Cons
constent changes, insecurity
Tough working conditions
Principal Officer (Former Employee) –  Wayland prison10 November 2016
A typical day at work comprised of ensuring prisoners and staff adhered to laid out policies that were established for very good reasons. It is a challenging environment. Management left me to my operate within my own discretion. I worked with extremely hard working colleagues that were very dedicated. The hardest part of this particular job is to keep within Kpt targets. The most enjoyable part was at the end of a day it was satisfying to know that you have given a worthwhile full time shift
Pros
Free gym.
Data input clerk
Data Input Clerk (Former Employee) –  Leamington Spa25 October 2016
A nice occupation with no real pressure, what let it down was a supervisor who berated me in front of the office staff for being late, after I had already warned her about a hospital visit prior to attending in an email, to which she had already ackowleged.
Work is interesting & varied. Lots of good people to work with
Administrative Assistant/Officer (Current Employee) –  Northampton21 October 2016
Your co-workers are generally the best thing and the work is different and challenging they are always looking to improve. Down side is although looking to improve, change is actually very slow and is never prepare properly and management isn't that good.
Pros
Flexi
Cons
Time allowed for training isn't that good.
Good
Intern (Former Employee) –  London19 October 2016
lovely people, everyone was very friendly and the people were kind. People seemed to enjoy their work a lot, and were extremely focused , but a supportive team.
Moj
Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  Port Talbot1 October 2016
Only temp jobs available - if you manage to get a permanent position then its less money than temp workers with a lot more responsibility.
Things are constantly changing and you dont tend to stay on the same team for more than a few months.
They do offer flexi time which is a big bonus as you can start and finish early.
Pros
Flexi Time
Cons
To many changes - no stability
nice place to work
Administration Assistant (Current Employee) –  London27 September 2016
working here as a temp. It's a nice place to start off. Management needs to be more organised, other than that decent place to work. I have developed the ability to multi task, deal with difficult clients. My self confidence has grown.
Pros
flexibility with work hours
Cons
Bad Management, lack of organisation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ministry of Justice. Our community is ready to answer.