Ministry of Justice Employee Reviews

Generally a lovely place to work
Finance Employee (Former Employee) –  London21 December 2016
Lovely people, great culture, flexible work environment.

As with most public sector role, major downfall is the salary and the never ending pay freeze.
Pros
Friendly People, Flexible work environment
Cons
Lack of pay increases
Decent Central Government Department
Budget Manager (Former Employee) –  Central London16 December 2016
Employed for just over 9 years - part of which was spent in an 'Arm's Length Body' (ALB) of the Department.
Most of my duties centred around the month/year end management accounting processes - including, but not restricted to, completion of monthly finance returns, analysis of monthly budget/forecast data and reporting on same to senior management team, running and analysis of monthly payroll report, collating and analysis of finance data received from other ALBs, preparation of monthly Management Information pack for central finance team, dealing with 'ad-hoc' finance queries.
Most of my skills/knowledge gained through experience working in MOJ (and other organisations) - commenced AAT studies (through MOJ professional training scheme)
I was personally very lucky in having some great line, and other, managers who were always happy to advise and assist as necessary.
Hardest part of job - being able to impress Government finance rules and explain finance processes to 'non-finance' colleagues
Most enjoyable part of the job - the people I worked with, the general office environments and the benefits/opportunities
Pros
Great benefits e.g.flexible working, generous annual leave, training/development opportunities
Cons
Personally, the long commute to/from work but also, latterly, some uncertainty in terms of the Department's future direction, structure etc
Excellent
Admin Officer (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands26 November 2016
Great Job, will continue to work here. very happy with everything. Love everything here. Great pay rates, good environment. Will Stay.
Productive and Fun work place
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  London21 November 2016
Excellent people to have worked with, very caring and considerate managers.
Lovely co-workers always willing to give you helping hand and very supportive. Overall i had really enjoyed my time in the department of justice and was a pleasure to have had the opportunity to work within a wonderful team of people.
Pros
Good management
Constent Changes
Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  London17 November 2016
I have joined the civil service since 2003, and just recently have changed 3 job roles since I have started with the MoJ, the positive side of this is that I have learned different skills whilst working for the MoJ.
Pros
Flexibilty, Annual Leave.
Cons
constent changes, insecurity
Tough working conditions
Principal Officer (Former Employee) –  Wayland prison10 November 2016
A typical day at work comprised of ensuring prisoners and staff adhered to laid out policies that were established for very good reasons. It is a challenging environment. Management left me to my operate within my own discretion. I worked with extremely hard working colleagues that were very dedicated. The hardest part of this particular job is to keep within Kpt targets. The most enjoyable part was at the end of a day it was satisfying to know that you have given a worthwhile full time shift
Pros
Free gym.
Data input clerk
Data Input Clerk (Former Employee) –  Leamington Spa25 October 2016
A nice occupation with no real pressure, what let it down was a supervisor who berated me in front of the office staff for being late, after I had already warned her about a hospital visit prior to attending in an email, to which she had already ackowleged.
Work is interesting & varied. Lots of good people to work with
Administrative Assistant/Officer (Current Employee) –  Northampton21 October 2016
Your co-workers are generally the best thing and the work is different and challenging they are always looking to improve. Down side is although looking to improve, change is actually very slow and is never prepare properly and management isn't that good.
Pros
Flexi
Cons
Time allowed for training isn't that good.
Good
Intern (Former Employee) –  London19 October 2016
lovely people, everyone was very friendly and the people were kind. People seemed to enjoy their work a lot, and were extremely focused , but a supportive team.
Moj
Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  Port Talbot1 October 2016
Only temp jobs available - if you manage to get a permanent position then its less money than temp workers with a lot more responsibility.
Things are constantly changing and you dont tend to stay on the same team for more than a few months.
They do offer flexi time which is a big bonus as you can start and finish early.
Pros
Flexi Time
Cons
To many changes - no stability
nice place to work
Administration Assistant (Current Employee) –  London27 September 2016
working here as a temp. It's a nice place to start off. Management needs to be more organised, other than that decent place to work. I have developed the ability to multi task, deal with difficult clients. My self confidence has grown.
Pros
flexibility with work hours
Cons
Bad Management, lack of organisation
Productive , High Energy
PMO Support / Analyst (Former Employee) –  London22 September 2016
the MoJ is a great pl;ace to work, very challenging activities. The management know what they want and need to get things moving. i would recommend this place to anyone.
A fantastic place of work
Second Line Support analyst (Current Employee) –  London16 August 2016
Dealing and responding to customer and user needs

Taking ownership of problems and reducing ticket volumes

Problem solving and escalating to other groups such as server support, desktop support.

I have been able to develop my strong problem solving and analytical skills and communication skills.

I have enjoyed working as part of my team at the Ministry of Justice, they are all reliable, team players and hardworking.

I enjoy learning new things and exceeding customer expectations and i also enjoy the positive feedback i sometimes receive from customers.
very busy and interesting
Court Usher (Current Employee) –  Carlisle8 August 2016
the work is very interesting and can be very varied. You are dealing with defendants and claimants and also vulnerable people
Pros
flexi time
Cons
very hard work
Great place to work, as long as you have got experience in many of the departments!
Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Birmingham7 August 2016
I worked here for a very long time and was proactive in my personal development. I made sure that when opportunities came up to move to other teams and get involved with other departments I was there.
I started off within the post team and did every job from stamping post to mailing to stamping very important lasting power of attorney documentation and letters. After working through many departments I settled as a case work managing individual files and cases and having a strong enough skills set to be called upon throughout the company to support when it was required and during busy times with overtime opportunities.
Known throughout the company as an approachable, bubbly and happy to train other individual I not only enjoyed working with other, but enjoyed being able to be honest and ask to take on more challenging roles.
All managers where different, like everywhere I had my favourites and still keep in touch to this day. The same with colleagues.
Pros
Training, One to one, meetings, flexibility, overtime, projects, various areas to work, progression, free drinks.
Cons
high staff turn over, constantly changing manager, job secruity
Productive ,friendly ,Have respect for Family Value
Data Quality/Compliance Analyst (Current Employee) –  London3 August 2016
Its a very good environment to work.Flexible and all member of staffs
are very friendly and down to earth.Lots of training and developments are available.The senior Management are also very friendly and understanding.Its a very good Place to work.
Pros
Flexible time, clock in before 10 am
Cons
nil
Good place to work - great people!
Senior Contracts Manager (Former Employee) –  London2 August 2016
Spent five enjoyable years working at MoJ in London alongside some really talented people. Wish them all the best.
A typical day at work.
Civilian Enforcement Officer. ( Warrant Officer ) (Current Employee) –  Wrexham based.20 July 2016
I actively participate and contribute in compiling rotas with my colleagues on Convenient Court Fines and GAP Court days throughout the North Wales area - to arrest and take into custardy defendants on " No Bail Warrants " along with those who are on suspended committals. This is carried out by targeting old / high / won't pay defendants.
The team meets up regularly to work out a plan to address these visits ( Best times, dates for example ) taking into account confidentiality and data protection.
Interesting place to work
Commercial Contract Manager (Former Employee) –  London6 July 2016
Large Government department delivering Justice in England and Wales.
I was mainly involved in the procurement of rehabilitation service contracts for HM Prison Service
Great Job
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Letters, UK30 June 2016
It was a friendly office environtment, work was straight forward. People there were friendly, all in all a great place to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ministry of Justice. Our community is ready to answer.