Ministry of Justice Employee Reviews

Avoid at all cost
Prison Officer (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff15 May 2017
Extremely poor management who will endeavour to stitch the landing staff up. New wage structure is a joke and new pension not worth anything. For your own safety and sanity avoid this profession.
Pros
Week off after nights
Cons
Wage and poor management.
Interesting
Court Clerk (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff9 May 2017
Where I work is an interesting place with meeting various different people from various different backgrounds. The cases we hear in court are also interesting and sometimes we get the right result and some times we don't. I work with a good team of people and we all get on well and help each other out. The new technology that is coming in is a bit of a strain as there is so much more stuff we have to try and remember to do.
Pros
flexi time
Cons
getting leave during school holidays
Tough work place
Former OSG (Former Employee) –  Woking, Surrey23 April 2017
It's hard work when some staff not turning up for work, you have to do the work of three people Which is insane. Beware of some OSG who are only interested in doing the jobs and shifts to suit them. The shortage of staff made me to work long hours and every weekend and even my days off. Multi-tasking is part of the job, running forward and back especially when doing gate duties on your own and answering phone calls at the same time.
Na
Administrator (Former Employee) –  London South East, Greater London19 April 2017
Very busy environment as there are lots of things to do. Multitasking needed as there are competeing demand on time. Environment and work space could have a been alot more welcoming
Interesting and varied
Administrator (Current Employee) –  St. James's Park Station10 April 2017
Interesting and varied you get to learn about how the parole process works and get to sit on hearing and visit prisons. Staff very nice and always willing to support although managers are very clicky and pick and choose staff to promote. I would stay but poorly paid.
Pros
Excellent work
Cons
Poorly paid
Demanding but creative
Head of Offender Management and Assessment (Former Employee) –  London4 April 2017
Demanding role, with a lot of work pressure, but scope to make key policy decisions that have a national impact. Lots of opportunities to develop and undertake new roles
Pros
Interaction with ministers
Cons
Concern about impact of decisions on public attitudes
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham30 March 2017
Great training, great team ethos and great management. Sadly the pay is low which was the only reason to leave.
Flexible work patterns, so great for childcare.
Not worth it
Court Usher (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire25 March 2017
You're not appreciated by anyone. The wage is shocking for the hassle you get. No job security because you're put on a fixed-term contract. Won't be working for them again.
Pros
Flexi-hours
Cons
Pay, job security
Was a good place to work
Administration Offcer (Former Employee) –  Darlington, Durham22 March 2017
I worked for this company for 15 years before leaving I found it a good place to work and enjoyed my time working there. Things changed under new management and became more about saving money than helping children
Excellent workplace with good ethics
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Essex12 March 2017
Meaningful and pro-active position with good working environment. Worked within Ministry of Justice for many years and thoroughly enjoyed varied role. Often extremely challenging in difficult circumstances but extremely worthwhile
Pros
Excellent work colleagues
Cons
Staff look after each other.
Prison Officer (Former Employee) –  Wetherby, West Yorkshire2 March 2017
Oh my god, this description of the job is so deceptive. The wages do not reflect the danger and effect that this job can have on you as a person. It is only a matter of time before being a Prison Officer takes it toll. It is not a safe job, yes you do become more resilient, but you do not bounce back the next day after being threatened and abused the day before!
Think about it
Ex prison officer (Former Employee) –  Hmp lindholme2 March 2017
If you want an employer who expects everything and does its best to break you then this is the job for you. Management show no support and you are treated as a number.
Expect to be insulted, assaulted and worked to the max for no thanks what so ever.
There is no work life balance, they may advertise this but when you ask you don't get it, the amount of leave is great but you can never get it granted when you apply for it and wages are terrible for new staff. Why would anyone want to be spat at, sworn at, punched, kicked and dealing with drug fuelled prisoners everyday for 21k, not to mention working every Christmas and new year (you may get one day off if you're lucky).
Seriously think about it before you apply.
Pros
Leave if you can get it
Cons
Too many to list
A secure job with good pay
Prison Officer (Current Employee) –  Winchester, Hampshire11 February 2017
Every day is different and calls into use all my skills.I look after a range of people with a lot of different issues,I work to a set shift pattern so work eveing and weekends.
Pros
Wages
Cons
Being assaulted
great place to work
OSG (Former Employee) –  bullingdon3 February 2017
Prison officers were great, but spineless and gutless managers in abundance. beware of other OSGs who lie to protect their own interests and those with family connections who will happily stab you in the back over nothing, be warned they are protected despite leaving co-workers to do their work
Pros
most of people are great
Cons
weak managers
Good place to start out
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester22 January 2017
Enjoyed my time here. Ony reason I left as pogression and promotion was hindered due to government cut backs.

Bit of a ratty enviroment but generally everyone kind hearted.

Too many over paid managers.

Too many chiefs not enough actual workers.
Don't do it.
Prison Officer (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London22 January 2017
If you're a prisoner, this employer is great. They'll ensure you get everything you're entitled. If you're a member of staff, you'll have to fight for everything, even for them to acknowledge their own policies. You will be just a number and there will be no loyalty from NOMS or the MOJ. You will be expected to bend over backwards to make the system work for an employer that does not understand its own business. The only benefit is the strength of camaraderie between your colleagues. You are all in it together, it's dangerous and there's no support when it goes wrong. If you get injured at work, they'll sack you.
Pros
Cons
Loads of them.
Highly Dangerous and Extremely poor management
Senior Officer/Band 4 (Former Employee) –  East Anglia9 January 2017
I got out after being assaulted. Staffing levels are such that it is only a matter of time before a member of staff is murdered!! Majority of managers I had the misfortune to work with, are back stabbers who will compromise safety in order to further their own gains.
I have seen young 'kids' come into the job who have been totally disgruntled and shellshocked within 6-12 months.

Yes the starting pay isn't bad but its only £5k more than what I started on in 1995. Overtime is plenty but that leads to tiredness and mistakes, plus you need to be alive to spend it.
Pros
Starting wage, free assaults and as much excrement thrown at you as you can handle
Cons
Too many to list
proactive
Switchboard Advisor (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff4 January 2017
A typical day would consist of communicating with prison officers daily, Mainly making sure their salary was consistent and HR was up to standard. hardest part was the pressure of how many errors there could possibly be from one mistake.
Pros
amazing company
Established
USHER/ADMINISTRATION ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  London29 December 2016
Collating.
Disposing
Customer Service
How records are kept.
Good coworkers.
Meeting and greeting new people everyday.
Pros
flexi hours
Cons
no canteen
Don't bother
Administration Officer (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear28 December 2016
Management in this organisation are only bothered by targets, staff do not matter at all. I worked for them for 9 years and it progressively got a worse place to work. No chance of promotion as the organisation is to top heavy and if you ever think your getting a pay rise think again. The salary may seem good but for what is expected it really isn't.
Pros
Flexi (if you ever get to take it)
Cons
Management, very target driven

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ministry of Justice. Our community is ready to answer.