Ministry of Justice Employee Reviews

Excellent Employer
Usher / Jury Bailiff / IT management (Former Employee) –  Basildon, Essex18 July 2017
Very busy environment.
Courses attended, every day was different, therefore continually learning.
Culture excellent.
Hardest part of the job was the case plea and case management which were about 20-25 cases per day one a week. Extremely busy for all.
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing justice done.
Pros
Good working environment
Cons
Sometimes a long day.
Not safe expected to work on my own with prisoners
Operational Support Grade (Former Employee) –  Spring Hill30 June 2017
Joined as an O/S/G, left to get on with working on my own sometimes with prisoners in what can be very stressful situations. No self defence training, treated like a number. Not enough staff (Prison officers) to enable security of prison or safety of staff members. Each day I'de worry for my safety,
Management treated me awful when I was off sick for a week with 3 separate back to work interviews for same sickness of 1 week. Disgusting the way I was treated here.
Pros
Really enjoyed going home from work
Cons
Treated terribly
Work life balance
Administrator (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London19 June 2017
An average place to work. Good work life balance. Large company that has several devisions. Progression can be slow dependant on who you know. Not enough merit on individuals experience and qualifications.
An average days work is mainly office based dealing with paper work. Good flexible work times . Training can be on going mainly done internally.
IT Customer service advisor (Former Employee) –  Newport, UK22 May 2017
i worked as a civil servant for 7 years and i couldn't have been happier. The staff were very well looked after and treated fairly.

Many benefits at hand and many opportunities to develop skills
Pros
very friendly place to work
Great government department to work for but, increasingly under financial and political pressures like other government departments.
Executive Officer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London20 May 2017
A great amount of varied and vital work is undertaken by the MOJ. It's been under huge financial and political pressure to modernise the Courts & Justice system in a climate of massive cutbacks in spending across all government departments. This has impacted staff numbers and ways of working. Be ready for remote working. MOJ has embraced technology wholesale; especially to find ways of working 'smartly', i.e. with fewer people doing the same and more work. Everyone is issued with a laptop and must learn to work remotely and to hotdesk.

Be ready for constant change. Can be a very exciting place to work. I learned a lot about how to work under pressure to meet deadlines. I was liaising with stakeholders and colleagues on a daily basis. The workload could be relentless. The hardest part of the job was having to meet deadlines at short notice, especially when key people were away from the office.

Loved the culture of treating every major piece of work as a project and using a project management ethos from start to completion. We embraced Prince 2 and Agile methods and this is really effective. Also love the transferrable skills that you gain.
Pros
Opportunity to work from a hub near your home, and, from home with use of a laptop. Great for work-life balance.
Cons
Could be delayed in the office if working to meet a deadline. Also, fewer people doing more work due to staff cutbacks, so could be very stressful.
Professional work place
Customer Service Manager - (Contract) (Former Employee) –  London, UK19 May 2017
Long days due to travel
Learned about Government departments and the way they work
Very amenable to contractors
Quite low skilled for job title
People were nice
Avoid at all cost
Prison Officer (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff15 May 2017
Extremely poor management who will endeavour to stitch the landing staff up. New wage structure is a joke and new pension not worth anything. For your own safety and sanity avoid this profession.
Pros
Week off after nights
Cons
Wage and poor management.
Interesting
Court Clerk (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff9 May 2017
Where I work is an interesting place with meeting various different people from various different backgrounds. The cases we hear in court are also interesting and sometimes we get the right result and some times we don't. I work with a good team of people and we all get on well and help each other out. The new technology that is coming in is a bit of a strain as there is so much more stuff we have to try and remember to do.
Pros
flexi time
Cons
getting leave during school holidays
Tough work place
Former OSG (Former Employee) –  Woking, Surrey23 April 2017
It's hard work when some staff not turning up for work, you have to do the work of three people Which is insane. Beware of some OSG who are only interested in doing the jobs and shifts to suit them. The shortage of staff made me to work long hours and every weekend and even my days off. Multi-tasking is part of the job, running forward and back especially when doing gate duties on your own and answering phone calls at the same time.
Na
Administrator (Former Employee) –  London South East, Greater London19 April 2017
Very busy environment as there are lots of things to do. Multitasking needed as there are competeing demand on time. Environment and work space could have a been alot more welcoming

Want to know more about Ministry of Justice?

Ask a question
Interesting and varied
Administrator (Current Employee) –  St. James's Park Station10 April 2017
Interesting and varied you get to learn about how the parole process works and get to sit on hearing and visit prisons. Staff very nice and always willing to support although managers are very clicky and pick and choose staff to promote. I would stay but poorly paid.
Pros
Excellent work
Cons
Poorly paid
Demanding but creative
Head of Offender Management and Assessment (Former Employee) –  London4 April 2017
Demanding role, with a lot of work pressure, but scope to make key policy decisions that have a national impact. Lots of opportunities to develop and undertake new roles
Pros
Interaction with ministers
Cons
Concern about impact of decisions on public attitudes
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham30 March 2017
Great training, great team ethos and great management. Sadly the pay is low which was the only reason to leave.
Flexible work patterns, so great for childcare.
Not worth it
Court Usher (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire25 March 2017
You're not appreciated by anyone. The wage is shocking for the hassle you get. No job security because you're put on a fixed-term contract. Won't be working for them again.
Pros
Flexi-hours
Cons
Pay, job security
Was a good place to work
Administration Offcer (Former Employee) –  Darlington, Durham22 March 2017
I worked for this company for 15 years before leaving I found it a good place to work and enjoyed my time working there. Things changed under new management and became more about saving money than helping children
Excellent workplace with good ethics
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Essex12 March 2017
Meaningful and pro-active position with good working environment. Worked within Ministry of Justice for many years and thoroughly enjoyed varied role. Often extremely challenging in difficult circumstances but extremely worthwhile
Pros
Excellent work colleagues
Cons
Staff look after each other.
Prison Officer (Former Employee) –  Wetherby, West Yorkshire2 March 2017
Oh my god, this description of the job is so deceptive. The wages do not reflect the danger and effect that this job can have on you as a person. It is only a matter of time before being a Prison Officer takes it toll. It is not a safe job, yes you do become more resilient, but you do not bounce back the next day after being threatened and abused the day before!
Think about it
Ex prison officer (Former Employee) –  Hmp lindholme2 March 2017
If you want an employer who expects everything and does its best to break you then this is the job for you. Management show no support and you are treated as a number.
Expect to be insulted, assaulted and worked to the max for no thanks what so ever.
There is no work life balance, they may advertise this but when you ask you don't get it, the amount of leave is great but you can never get it granted when you apply for it and wages are terrible for new staff. Why would anyone want to be spat at, sworn at, punched, kicked and dealing with drug fuelled prisoners everyday for 21k, not to mention working every Christmas and new year (you may get one day off if you're lucky).
Seriously think about it before you apply.
Pros
Leave if you can get it
Cons
Too many to list
A secure job with good pay
Prison Officer (Current Employee) –  Winchester, Hampshire11 February 2017
Every day is different and calls into use all my skills.I look after a range of people with a lot of different issues,I work to a set shift pattern so work eveing and weekends.
Pros
Wages
Cons
Being assaulted
great place to work
OSG (Former Employee) –  bullingdon3 February 2017
Prison officers were great, but spineless and gutless managers in abundance. beware of other OSGs who lie to protect their own interests and those with family connections who will happily stab you in the back over nothing, be warned they are protected despite leaving co-workers to do their work
Pros
most of people are great
Cons
weak managers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ministry of Justice. Our community is ready to answer.