Ministry of Justice Employee Reviews

Nice environment to work in
Civil Servant (Current Employee) –  Loughborough13 July 2018
The ministry of justice is a nice company to work for, and it is a nice office environment, they also have a lot of advantages such as being able to build flexi time
Insightful Work Experience Placement
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London27 June 2018
I learnt a lot about what aspects go into project management, including the legal and administrative aspects. I was introduced to the idea of studying for my Prince 2 Qualification. Overall, this experience opened up to me the world of civil service and more generally, serving the public.
Fine until they messed about with our contracts.
Software Asset Management & Licensing SME (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London22 May 2018
Our contract payment terms were change mid contract without consultation.The rest doesn't matter as this has cast a shadow on the whole experince at MOJ.
Lovely
Administrator (Former Employee) –  London21 May 2018
I enjoyed my time here and leant many interesting things. The work is interesting and the colleagues supportive. The most enjoyable thing is the sense of accomplishment.
Awful
Prison Officer (Former Employee) –  Exeter10 May 2018
AVOID AT ALL COSTS. No support from your management and not worth the money. Training is poor and doesn't prepare you for your role, it only teaches you how to "talk properly" to inmates.
Courts Buildings
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Central region of Saudi Arabia1 May 2018
I worked with an individual institution owned by one person and with 70 workers in different professions in the construction sector. I was their manager. We implemented 2 of the buildings of the general courts in the central region of Saudi Arabia. The work was the implementation of the concrete structure and block works. By the owner of the project.
County Court
Executive Officer (Former Employee) –  London19 April 2018
I started as a Clerical Assistant undertaking general administrative duties and worked my way up to a Section Manager. This job involved higher responsibility for Staff as well as the level of work
Civil service atmosphere
Studio/Traffic Manager (Former Employee) –  London17 April 2018
The team was really nice but they are situated within a civil service building so there is no colour or music.
Not what it said on the tin
Prison Officer/ nanny for prisoners (Former Employee) –  Wetherby YOI30 March 2018
- No work life balance I.E horrible shifts.
- Under Staffed.
- Promotions given to those who 'put up and shut up' (Who you know not what you know).
- Dangerous.
- No authority, you are simply a lacky/run around after the cons.
- Not a 'Discliplined' role - simply a babysitter with no authority to make decisions.
- Stood out on exercise in ridiculous weather conditions to appease the higher management powers.
- Pointless training about pointless subjects.just be down to earth.
Please consider your current situation in life before applying as i wish i had, great life experience but really not a lifelong career it promises to be.
Pros
Great Pension, Great colleagues.
Cons
Management, pay, hours, lack of leave.
I enjoyed a lots in this company
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire26 March 2018
Open post and sort into relevant categories,
Data input the drivers details into the MOJ
System,
Input and check amounts of fine payment via cheques and debit cards,
Correspondence with offending drivers regarding any errors with their details,
Field phone calls from the offending drivers regarding their fines.
Also phone calls and emails to the police regarding fines,
Other duties-
Scanning and photocopying documents
I enjoyed a lots excelent company.
Happy
Admin Officer (Current Employee) –  Birmingham8 February 2018
All staff are nice we all work together. I enjoy working with them. Dealing with private and confidential documents and sensitive information and keeping information together. I great company to work for.
Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands1 February 2018
" Worked with line managers to define, document and implement procedures, work instructions and agreed systems of work; positively contributing to area policies and procedures in relation to diversity
" Operated appropriate systems and processes to achieve service requirements in line with national standards
" Contributed to the productions of accurate, professional and timely documents e.g. Pre-Sentence Reports
high pressure environment
Fines Enforcement Officer / Training Officer (Former Employee) –  Newport/Cwmbran29 January 2018
enjoyed the opportunity to learn new skills and to coach individuals to improve upon/learn new skills.

Utilising a range of admin/IT skills on a daily basis, and providing support to team members on a daily basis.

I was also a deputy Team Leader, responsible for answering queries and managing resources throughout the office.
Supportive team
Probation Officer (Current Employee) –  Somerset23 January 2018
Very supportive colleagues who are dedicated to their roles. Working with diverse individuals who require support. Multi-Agency collaboration with 3rd party agencies.
Great employer
HR CASEWORK MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Wakefield, West Yorkshire3 January 2018
Best employer to grow a career.
Access to training facilities, as well as a supportive line managerial structure which makes it easy for a new employee to settle down and learn.
Dont do it
Instructional Officer,sheet metal design (Former Employee) –  Retford28 December 2017
Since the massive cuts to officer grades prisons are not a safe place to work any more,Middle management are only interested in there own gains and in looking after people who they are responsible for
Pros
lots of holidays
Cons
bad management
Funding Problems
Lead Systems Manager (Former Employee) –  Petty France London22 December 2017
I had a few roles, starting off in Her Majesty's Prison Service, then the Home Office, then back to the Prison Service and finally the Ministry of Justice. The moves were mainly due to promotions and some to financial downsizing.

On the whole I enjoyed my time in the Civil Service, however the job become an impossible task with the funding constraints that I was asked to work to.

When a further down sizing exercise took place. I took the option of taking early retirement.

My final position in the Ministry of Justice was as a Senior Team Leader, responsible for the Property Data Systems.
The properties involved was all prisons in England and Wales, Courts in England and Wales, Police and other Government Properties in the London Estate.
Pros
Good Pension. Option to work flexibly, Good Salary
Cons
Commuting and working under severe financial restraints.
Don't Bother
OSG (Former Employee) –  Kent14 December 2017
I spent 8 years working as an OSG for the prison service and the only good thing to come out of it is that it's where I met my husband. When working nights you're alone all night with 100+ prisoners which as far as I'm concerned is totally wrong. If someone goes sick whilst you're on your shift you'll be asked to cover and you're expected to say yes (even if that means turning your 5 hour early shift into a 12 hour 'A' shift). And just because you have a day off doesn't mean they won't call you at home and expect you to cover - they have no problem doing this.

I can't stress enough how bad this job can be. You'll be treated like scum - the prisoners will treat you better than the staff ever would and the long hours will leave you going sick with stress.

If you're still reading this then PLEASE, I urge you to STAY AWAY from ANY job within the prison service.
Pros
There aren't any.
Cons
The place is full of cons - literally.......
Day to day experience at the office
Chief Legal Clerk (Current Employee) –  Oshakati, Namibia16 November 2017
Dealing with Criminal matters. I learn legal system , how it works. Management does not care about the well being of low level employees. The hardest part of the job is work overload and low salary. Enjoyable is meeting different people with different scenarios.
Pros
No work during weekends.
Cons
No training
Head of performance analytics- Reform (Former Employee) –  London8 November 2017
Friendly people, great attitude and challenging and exciting role. Flexible working, placing appropriate trust and responsibility with staff. Really effective management and highly intelligent people

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ministry of Justice. Our community is ready to answer.