Ministry of Justice Employee Reviews for Correctional Officer

Awful
Prison Officer (Former Employee) –  Exeter10 May 2018
AVOID AT ALL COSTS. No support from your management and not worth the money. Training is poor and doesn't prepare you for your role, it only teaches you how to "talk properly" to inmates.
Cons
Not what it said on the tin
Prison Officer/ nanny for prisoners (Former Employee) –  Wetherby YOI30 March 2018
- No work life balance I.E horrible shifts.
- Under Staffed.
- Promotions given to those who 'put up and shut up' (Who you know not what you know).
- Dangerous.
- No authority, you are simply a lacky/run around after the cons.
- Not a 'Discliplined' role - simply a babysitter with no authority to make decisions.
- Stood out on exercise in ridiculous weather conditions to appease the higher management powers.
- Pointless training about pointless subjects.just be down to earth.
Please consider your current situation in life before applying as i wish i had, great life experience but really not a lifelong career it promises to be.
Pros
Great Pension, Great colleagues.
Cons
Management, pay, hours, lack of leave.
Shockingly bad management
Prison Officer (Current Employee) –  West Midlands28 October 2017
Don't consider this as a career option.
It used to be a secure job with a good pension. Not anymore. You are undermined and threatened at every opportunity. Not by prisoners but by management.
The expectations are huge. The abuse and danger are becoming greater by the day.
The cuts to the staffing levels. The cuts to healthcare and especially mental health are having profound effects. Please consider before joining this job. It used to be brilliant. It's far from it
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Shifts, danger, poor management, wages etc
Horrible
Prison Officer (Former Employee) –  North Wales26 October 2017
Long hours, never see your family.
Useless, arrogant, rude management.
Awful pay for what you do.
Not a career.
Most staff are good as were all in the same boat together.
Pros
Staff
Cons
Everything else
Teamwork and humour. Moments of madness.
Prison Officer (Former Employee) –  Reading29 August 2017
No typical day as it is always dependent on what is going on with the prisoners. Something we have to be aware of at all times but particularly on unlocking in the mornings.We would be briefed by the senior officers and would plan the day accordingly whilst maintaining the regime. Sometimes things can go wrong but with well trained staff and team awareness we did not experience many major issues.A rewarding place to work. I would recommend it. But you do need to give it time to settle in. Can be a bit daunting Gat first but that fades as you become familiar with the environment.Go for it. Its a great life experience.
Pros
Good pay /pension.
Cons
Not many.
Currently no Part time/work Life balance Available !
Prison Officer (Current Employee) –  Evesham, Worcestershire3 August 2017
Don't do it!
Poor Management
no part time
no job share
job security is good as they are so desperate for staff.
Getting more dangerous
Just watch the news of whats happening in prisons.
Pros
Good staff
Cons
Everything else
Dont do it!
Prison officer (Current Employee) –  Winchester, Hampshire26 July 2017
I've just handed in my notice after 10 years and many other experienced officers are doing the same! The job has become to dangerous and the mental toll it takes on you is hard to put into words. Very little support from management. The jails are ridiculously under staffed. Pay for new starters is shocking and at times things are that hectic experienced staff haven't got the time to show new staff how to do things. I used to enjoy it but the last two years it's become unbearable!
Pros
The staff
Cons
Management assaults violence long hours never finish on time
Avoid at all cost
Prison Officer (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff15 May 2017
Extremely poor management who will endeavour to stitch the landing staff up. New wage structure is a joke and new pension not worth anything. For your own safety and sanity avoid this profession.
Pros
Week off after nights
Cons
Wage and poor management.
Staff look after each other.
Prison Officer (Former Employee) –  Wetherby, West Yorkshire2 March 2017
Oh my god, this description of the job is so deceptive. The wages do not reflect the danger and effect that this job can have on you as a person. It is only a matter of time before being a Prison Officer takes it toll. It is not a safe job, yes you do become more resilient, but you do not bounce back the next day after being threatened and abused the day before!
Think about it
Ex prison officer (Former Employee) –  Hmp lindholme2 March 2017
If you want an employer who expects everything and does its best to break you then this is the job for you. Management show no support and you are treated as a number.
Expect to be insulted, assaulted and worked to the max for no thanks what so ever.
There is no work life balance, they may advertise this but when you ask you don't get it, the amount of leave is great but you can never get it granted when you apply for it and wages are terrible for new staff. Why would anyone want to be spat at, sworn at, punched, kicked and dealing with drug fuelled prisoners everyday for 21k, not to mention working every Christmas and new year (you may get one day off if you're lucky).
Seriously think about it before you apply.
Pros
Leave if you can get it
Cons
Too many to list
A secure job with good pay
Prison Officer (Current Employee) –  Winchester, Hampshire11 February 2017
Every day is different and calls into use all my skills.I look after a range of people with a lot of different issues,I work to a set shift pattern so work eveing and weekends.
Pros
Wages
Cons
Being assaulted
Don't do it.
Prison Officer (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London22 January 2017
If you're a prisoner, this employer is great. They'll ensure you get everything you're entitled. If you're a member of staff, you'll have to fight for everything, even for them to acknowledge their own policies. You will be just a number and there will be no loyalty from NOMS or the MOJ. You will be expected to bend over backwards to make the system work for an employer that does not understand its own business. The only benefit is the strength of camaraderie between your colleagues. You are all in it together, it's dangerous and there's no support when it goes wrong. If you get injured at work, they'll sack you.
Pros
Cons
Loads of them.
Guaranteed overtime
Prison Custody Officer (Current Employee) –  Coventry4 July 2015
Work life balance is poor as is man management little regard for employee safety so overall not a career I would promote to others!
Hard work for little thanks.
Senior Prison Officer - Retired (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, ENG26 November 2014
Long days ensuring prisoners up and ready for work and all their needs are addressed.
Sorting out problems that may arise and resolving conflict.
Work with higher management to ensure policies are adhered to and work towards MOJ targets.
Fellow colleagues are a pleasure to work with, we have to work together and rely on each other.
The hardest part of the job is politicians changing things at the last minute always a knee jerk reaction with no thought given to staff who have to implement the changes.
The job can be rewarding especially when you have made a difference to someone.
Pros
Very good work colleagues
Cons
Politicians
Unique Environmet
Prison Officer (Current Employee) –  Shaftesbury, ENG3 June 2014
As it says above, the Prison Environment is like no other work place. I can only explain it as being like an old whistle kettle sat on the hob steaming away but just not reaching boiling point. It is understaffed so you are constantly watching both your own and your colleagues backs. The atmosphere can change from friendly to hostile in a flash. The environment has enhanced my people and communication skills to the extent of being a fully trained Hostage Negotiator. I would say that the hard side of the job would be dealing with angry, frustrated and often violent prisoners. The most enjoyable side of the job was talking prisoners down in dangerous negotiation situations.
Pros
Belief that you are making a difference
Cons
A lacking staff support structure
Very busy and varied
Prison Caseworker/Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  Kent8 April 2014
Very hectic and time bound with deadlines. Learned to work as part of a team and caseworking. There is a new management team who have little experience in my department but have been willing to learn from experienced caseworkers. My fellow caseworkers are all very friendly and helpful and we all work together with our various strengths. The hardest part of the job personally has become the travelling for me hence why looking for a job closer to home. The most enjoyable part of my job is most definitely my colleagues and their helpful attitude followed by the reward of doing a job well.
Don't get caught in the money trap!
prison officer (Current Employee) –  Yorkshire5 March 2014
Pros - good salary
Cons - no work life balance. Awful shift patterns. No support in workplace. Cutting of staff numbers now making it unsafe.
Pros
good salary
Cons
Cons - no work life balance, Awful shift patterns, No support in workplace, Cutting of staff numbers now making it unsafe, Privatisation means not as stable an employment as it used to be, Little chance of progressing.
Callenging, but rewarding
Senior Prison Officer (Former Employee) –  HMP Wealstun29 August 2012
I enjoyed working for HM Prison Service as it encouraged people to work well as a team. It is a diverse environment where something new could be learned everyday. IThe service prided itself on maintaining security and maintained a good health & safety policy. It provided good job security and pension benefits.
However, when the Public sector cuts were announced, the Senior Management team became more focused on retaining their employment and so their physical presence within the prison diminished, lowering moral.
A typical day would be to ensure the safety of staff and prisoners, whilst maintaining security. I was also responsible for ensuring the staffing levels of my dept. were correct, resolving any shortfalls. I line managed 8 officers and encouraged their development. I gained a vast amount of experience in the Security field and am confident in carrying out investigations. I worked well within a team of 24 officers, and I'm also very good working alone. I did not find anything particularly difficult, however, there were times when I personally was responsible for addressing the negative behaviour of prisoners with a violent history. I was given minimal support from the Senior Management team, and learned to deal with any situation with the staff I had to hand. I gained excellent de-escallation techniques. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping distressed prisoners by way of contacting family or outside agencies on their behalf. I also enjoyed helping my staff with any personal or development issues.
Due to Public Sector cuts, I have taken voluntary redundancy.
  more... However, due to my experience, I am looking for further challenges or new opportunities within the Security Sector.  less
Pros
good teamworking
Cons
dealing with prisoners with serious self-harming issues