Ministry of Justice
Here to help: Coronavirus update
Updates from Ministry of Justice:

Ministry of Justice Employee Reviews

United Kingdom678 reviews
Challenging for all the wrong reasons
The prison service in UK is broken. They have a wealth of knowledge from former Servicemen like myself. However, Senior management is not prepared to tap into this free and willing commodity. The MOJ - like most Civil service institutions, is living in the seventies and simply put, that is why they tend to take one step forwards followed very quickly by three steps back. once in Senior positions, individuals are quite happy to take home the huge salary and take the pension, whilst allowing its junior staff suffer at the coal face. They like to say they listen and ask for input/feedback, but that feedback is either manipulated to one's own advantage, or ignored.

I can sum up above by simply saying; A military ex-serviceman is taught to think laterally and outside the box. We would never do anything we're prepared to do ourselves. A long term MOJ employee tends to be very introverted and be blinkered with a: "it always worked this way, until you came along" attitude.

Sorry but one has to be brutally honest here; little will change until an independent personnel auditor, such has Price Waterhouse is sent in to interview personnel at the lower levels. This should be done without prejudice or interference from above, the results of the survey being Confidential. The great, keen and loyal young officers and employees need to be listened to and have their voice heard. One such study and following up report across the board would be money well spent. A review on salaries at senior level would not go amiss either. Like in most institutions in UK - senior personnel
 - more...
Not something I would have considered but absolutely love it.
I have worked in HMPPS and now the MOJ People Group for the past 4.5 years. I never saw myself as a Civil Servant but I have to confess, I absolutely love my job and the contribution that I make to the businessman. It is open to new ideas and concepts especially around contributing to safeguarding, safety and well-being for both prisoners, children and staff. Had multiple opportunities for progression. I would highly recommend considering working in the Civil Service.
PA to the CEO
Enjoyed the role immensely. Other members of staff were most helpful and took their time to help out. Management are very friendly and approachable. A good workplace culture with time for the odd conversation with other members of staff that I was not working alongside who were very informative.I was very sad to leave.
Poor
Would not recommend working at the advertised prison. The environment is very poor, lots of rubbish and rats, generally just a dirty place. The kitchen is very poorly managed by persons who are not qualified to perform the role. Management ride on the back of staff . Lack of investment in catering, equipment not repaired very dirty. Regularly spat at assaulted and verbally abuse abused
Didn't feel welcomed
Started with big hopes - but was very very dissapionted. Didn't feel welcomed at all. Few people were all right but overall felt very bad - hated every day I needed to go there.
Few people talked to each other and all the rest just stayed quite. Team leader is not competent - couldn't give answers to work related questions and managers didn't see it.

I really liked the job and could do this but I left just because of people.
Dangerous
This job is not for the faint hearted, it can be difficult in the extreme and dangerous, you will be confronting prisoners who have no care or consideration for staff.
Avoid it like the corona virus
Possibley the worst bastion of humanity i have ever seen in my life. And thats just the staff and management.

They dont care if you live or die, money is a complete joke for the things you have to see and put up with.

Bullying and corruption is rampant but is seemingly aloud to continue on a daily basis. Anything over a Band 3 will trow you under a train if it progressed there carrers. Govnors just there to ride out till retirement.
Good job, however stressful at times.
The Prison Service is a great career, however hard work and stressful at times. You will encounter many challenges and at times see and witness acts of violence , self harm and your colleagues being assaulted.
Staff and management create the biggest problems
Management is inept, staff are poor and untrustworthy, I trusted the offenders more than the workforce. The job could be far more enjoyable and rewarding with better management. Too many internal battles between staff and not enough focus on the job in hand.
Pros
Hard to say
Cons
Staff and management
Good training ongoing support, can gain promotions if you want to put the work in. Can at times be stressful but most of the time the job is rewarding. A good career choice.
Pros
Good benefits, secure job, opportunity to gain promotions
Cons
Can be stressful long hours at times x Can miss Christmas Day and birthdays due to work
Contractor Escort
Enjoyed working with a good team of people. Frustrated with attitudes of those from contracted services from outside prison service in that they chose favourites at cost of key factors such as security.
My manager was direct , straight to the point, fair but supportive. Would work for her again . Enjoyed
Flexible and Friendly workplace
An exceptionally busy and varied environment involving contact with members of the public in person, by phone and email. Lots of routine admin work including typing orders, dealing with queries and processing a large amount of sometimes sensitive information. A good office atmosphere and flexibility enabling a good work/life balance.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Sometimes harrowing cases
Difficult Stressful
A day as a Prison Officer is like no other. The job has its advantages as well as downfalls. Being a prison officer you have to be resilient, hard working and honest. it can be boredom for 95% of the time and then you could be all action for 5% consisting of a rush of adrenaline to being petrified.
Dont do it
Very bad management.. they would cut you down to advance their own career.. blame culture by staff and government.. always looking for a fall guy.. very bad place to work.. very unsafe... get on with it attitude
Awful,Awful,Awful
Terrible don't work there. Terrible pay and awful management. Work is mundane and unfulfilling. Management do not put in any work to resolve issues and would rather sit on phones and chat then help out.
Pros
Cons
poor management
Very stressful
I feel stressful working within a contact centre and it has effected my health and ny mental state alot. There is alot of pressure from customers on the phone. I feel like a robot than a human being.
Very poorly managed
Understaffed and very violent work environment, constant stress and poor pay for new starters. Managers generally don't care about front line staff and treat them like cannon fodder.
N/a
It pays the bills, just.
Been on a pay freeze for the past decade.

Work is relatively easy but the volume of work is very challenging.

There is a focus on work life balance, however this is usually overlooked by 'business needs'.
Fast Paced exacting work
Job required massive attention to detail whilst working within strict performance timescales. Working in team office with regular co location to Crown Court office.
Good without the politics
I thoroughly enjoyed the job and staff but the government were insistent on privatising every last department of the courts service which led to low morale
Done 14 years so far
Love my job but medical issues have led me to change careers.
I have done over 13 years into the service .

I have been given the best support by management.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ministry of Justice. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9