Ministry of Justice Employee Reviews

Most pernicious organisation I’ve ever worked for.
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Midlands9 September 2018
Good pension and I made good friends but it’s a long time spent working towards a pension. Sadly not an organisation with any appetite for improving its employee ratings. It has all the policies in place but works hard to erode and avoid them. Trade Union membership advised. Similarly there was no obvious sign of putting the public or service users at the heart of any improvement process with cuts, service withdrawal and regionalisation causing hardship to those often already disadvantaged.
Pros
Pension
Cons
Everything else
Awful
Listing Officer (Current Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames, Greater London5 September 2018
Higher management do not care about there staff or moral of the office. They apply pressure at all angles and wonder why they have such a high turn over on staff I wish I never joined!!
Pros
The staff in my office
Cons
Higher management not caring for staff
Moj hq
Project Support Officer (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London4 September 2018
Workplace culture is not the greatest depending on directorate. The most enjoyable part of the role is knowing you helping vulnerable people. Management are not completely supportive.
Pros
You can work from home
Cons
Not enough support to progress
Helpful Managers with excellent communication skill, a pleasure to work for.
Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  Neath Port Talbot28 August 2018
There is no typical day with MOJ, the workload varies, lots of different tasks undertaken during the day.
Team Leaders are Team Players, giving staff detailed briefings and very good interaction.
The hardest part of the job was initially understanding legal terminology and practices of a Magistrate Court.
I have enjoyed working with very like minded people that interact with you and enjoy their work.
Pros
Flexible working pattern
Cons
Only temporary roles available in this area
Professional working and good central location
Project Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London25 August 2018
I worked as a contractor on a very aggressive Windows 10 Deployment across a number of sites, so had to stay calm, assertive and efficient at all times.

Co-workers are friendly from Management to Non-Management staff.
Great
Clerk to Her Majesty Judge (Current Employee) –  London21 August 2018
This is such a great working environment. Great employee perks. It is fast paced and keeps you on your feet. Also great pension package. Thoroughly enjoying it so far.
Work Summary
Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  Manchester12 August 2018
Good friendly working environment, staff always willing to help if you have a query. Buffet days, outside work social events also good. A
mixture of calls when answering the phone. A thick skin is required as some of the calls get heated and vocal. Work varied data entry
predominantly
Pros
Central Location
Cons
Some staff talk to much
Not the job your think it is
Ministry of justice (Former Employee) –  Wetherby, West Yorkshire4 August 2018
Awful place to work in HMP only ok if your a manager or a con as no support for over stretched officers absolutely dangerous environment do not join this job gives you mental health problems then there’s no support they want rid of you wen they’ve sucked all the life out of yoy
Pros
Gym
Cons
Long hours no support awful job
Muddled, Unmanaged workplace
National Commercial Accounts Manager (Former Employee) –  Full Sutton18 July 2018
No format to anything and everything was slapdash. No Management to speak of. Just fighting fires every time something new came in. NO reporting structure in place. Management all ex prison officers without any management training.
Pros
Cons
NO Management, No Structure
Diverse work force
Prison Officer (Current Employee) –  London16 July 2018
Interesting place to work but has its moment of danger to staff. Prisoners do not recile from attacking staff and not a job for any one. However, there offenders who value the work of staff are appreciative of the efforts that staff have put in.
Pros
meeting lots of people
Cons
interesting job , bad organisational skills
Administration Assistant (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon16 July 2018
Current manager very lacking in all areas
Not a people person, has never done to job yet tries to change/implement new ways of working that do not make sense
Nice environment to work in
Civil Servant (Current Employee) –  Loughborough13 July 2018
The ministry of justice is a nice company to work for, and it is a nice office environment, they also have a lot of advantages such as being able to build flexi time
Insightful Work Experience Placement
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London27 June 2018
I learnt a lot about what aspects go into project management, including the legal and administrative aspects. I was introduced to the idea of studying for my Prince 2 Qualification. Overall, this experience opened up to me the world of civil service and more generally, serving the public.
Fine until they messed about with our contracts.
Software Asset Management & Licensing SME (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London22 May 2018
Our contract payment terms were change mid contract without consultation.The rest doesn't matter as this has cast a shadow on the whole experince at MOJ.
Lovely
Administrator (Former Employee) –  London21 May 2018
I enjoyed my time here and leant many interesting things. The work is interesting and the colleagues supportive. The most enjoyable thing is the sense of accomplishment.
Awful
Prison Officer (Former Employee) –  Exeter10 May 2018
AVOID AT ALL COSTS. No support from your management and not worth the money. Training is poor and doesn't prepare you for your role, it only teaches you how to "talk properly" to inmates.
Courts Buildings
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Central region of Saudi Arabia1 May 2018
I worked with an individual institution owned by one person and with 70 workers in different professions in the construction sector. I was their manager. We implemented 2 of the buildings of the general courts in the central region of Saudi Arabia. The work was the implementation of the concrete structure and block works. By the owner of the project.
County Court
Executive Officer (Former Employee) –  London19 April 2018
I started as a Clerical Assistant undertaking general administrative duties and worked my way up to a Section Manager. This job involved higher responsibility for Staff as well as the level of work
Civil service atmosphere
Studio/Traffic Manager (Former Employee) –  London17 April 2018
The team was really nice but they are situated within a civil service building so there is no colour or music.
Not what it said on the tin
Prison Officer/ nanny for prisoners (Former Employee) –  Wetherby YOI30 March 2018
- No work life balance I.E horrible shifts.
- Under Staffed.
- Promotions given to those who 'put up and shut up' (Who you know not what you know).
- Dangerous.
- No authority, you are simply a lacky/run around after the cons.
- Not a 'Discliplined' role - simply a babysitter with no authority to make decisions.
- Stood out on exercise in ridiculous weather conditions to appease the higher management powers.
- Pointless training about pointless subjects.just be down to earth.
Please consider your current situation in life before applying as i wish i had, great life experience but really not a lifelong career it promises to be.
Pros
Great Pension, Great colleagues.
Cons
Management, pay, hours, lack of leave.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ministry of Justice. Our community is ready to answer.