Ministry of Justice Employee Reviews

Good steady job
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham25 September 2018
Good opportunities, excellent work life balance. Plenty of variety within departments. Good pension and holidays. Can be easy to progress to next grade.
Pros
Flexi time
Cons
Salary
Ever changing environment
Regional Facilities Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London1 November 2018
The MoJ is a dynamic working environment that has been undergoing constant change over the last four years, which is in line with Government strategies and objectives. This is both challenging and rewarding and has enabled me to expand my wealth of experience and management of change in the FM space considerably.
Pros
Flexible working
Funding Problems
Lead Systems Manager (Former Employee) –  Petty France London22 December 2017
I had a few roles, starting off in Her Majesty's Prison Service, then the Home Office, then back to the Prison Service and finally the Ministry of Justice. The moves were mainly due to promotions and some to financial downsizing.

On the whole I enjoyed my time in the Civil Service, however the job become an impossible task with the funding constraints that I was asked to work to.

When a further down sizing exercise took place. I took the option of taking early retirement.

My final position in the Ministry of Justice was as a Senior Team Leader, responsible for the Property Data Systems.
The properties involved was all prisons in England and Wales, Courts in England and Wales, Police and other Government Properties in the London Estate.
Pros
Good Pension. Option to work flexibly, Good Salary
Cons
Commuting and working under severe financial restraints.
Not what it said on the tin
Prison Officer/ nanny for prisoners (Former Employee) –  Wetherby YOI30 March 2018
- No work life balance I.E horrible shifts.
- Under Staffed.
- Promotions given to those who 'put up and shut up' (Who you know not what you know).
- Dangerous.
- No authority, you are simply a lacky/run around after the cons.
- Not a 'Discliplined' role - simply a babysitter with no authority to make decisions.
- Stood out on exercise in ridiculous weather conditions to appease the higher management powers.
- Pointless training about pointless subjects.just be down to earth.
Please consider your current situation in life before applying as i wish i had, great life experience but really not a lifelong career it promises to be.
Pros
Great Pension, Great colleagues.
Cons
Management, pay, hours, lack of leave.
Awful place to work
Call Centre Agent (Former Employee) –  Nottinghamshire10 January 2019
after applying for a flexible work hours position with OPG I then had to wait months for my vetting to then be told my shift was 9-5 wich I stated I couldn’t work they didn’t care and basically told me to leave I gave my notice in in 2017 and 2019 I recived Bailifs at my door saying I was over paid and wanted to take my belongings to pay it back I new nothing about any overpayment Do not work for this company they lie and have no care for employees at all !!!!
Productive workplace
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London19 December 2018
You get to meet people from different works of life with a panorama of work ethics. It's a good place to begin your career if just out of university. Quite engaging and challenging atmosphere.
Pros
You have your weekends free
Cons
A challenging place for one who is a Christian.
Case Administrator (Current Employee) –  Mansfield, Nottinghamshire4 October 2018
Good place of work, good culture and great management. Hardest part of the job is sometimes when it is so fast paced. Typical day includes running court lists in preparation of the days ahead and inputting offender data on to the national database.
Good people to work with.
Designated Fines Officer (Former Employee) –  London24 September 2018
As an Officer, the role required us to deal with the courts, defendants and claimants. While most people are polite and respectful, there was far too often those that tried to be rude in order to intimidate workers. In my role, I was responsible for handling complaints. It took mental fortitude to remain calm when dealing with those individuals. It was also completely baffling to me that people who you expect to have a higher level of education/intelligence/respect, tended to be some of the most ignorant, stubborn people to deal with. Aside from those characters, it helped that our team was always supportive of one another and really felt more like a family.
I still remain in contact with our direct supervisor and manager as they became like a brother and father figure to me over my time there.
In general, the people I worked with were amazing and I can truly say I have made some close friends here. The clients we dealt with however, made the job sometimes unbearable.
Pros
Great Team
Cons
Dealing with defendants and disgruntled claimants or stubborn co staff.
Most pernicious organisation I’ve ever worked for.
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Midlands9 September 2018
Good pension and I made good friends but it’s a long time spent working towards a pension. Sadly not an organisation with any appetite for improving its employee ratings. It has all the policies in place but works hard to erode and avoid them. Trade Union membership advised. Similarly there was no obvious sign of putting the public or service users at the heart of any improvement process with cuts, service withdrawal and regionalisation causing hardship to those often already disadvantaged.
Pros
Pension
Cons
Everything else
Hr
Executive officer (Current Employee) –  London25 October 2018
very diverse group lovely to work with. Flexible working as long as you complete the work assigned. However, managerial decisions are not communicated properly or in time we would result in the disengagement of employees
Pros
flexible, diverse and good working enviroment.
Cons
Poor management from top
Moj hq
Project Support Officer (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London4 September 2018
Workplace culture is not the greatest depending on directorate. The most enjoyable part of the role is knowing you helping vulnerable people. Management are not completely supportive.
Pros
You can work from home
Cons
Not enough support to progress
Not the job your think it is
Ministry of justice (Former Employee) –  Wetherby, West Yorkshire4 August 2018
Awful place to work in HMP only ok if your a manager or a con as no support for over stretched officers absolutely dangerous environment do not join this job gives you mental health problems then there’s no support they want rid of you wen they’ve sucked all the life out of yoy
Pros
Gym
Cons
Long hours no support awful job
Caseworker/admin officer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands17 November 2018
Friendly environment and the work load was reasonable. Plenty of overtime and the management were great. The work required a lot of attention to detail and the security precedures were extremely on point. Everything was super professional
Helpful Managers with excellent communication skill, a pleasure to work for.
Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  Neath Port Talbot28 August 2018
There is no typical day with MOJ, the workload varies, lots of different tasks undertaken during the day.
Team Leaders are Team Players, giving staff detailed briefings and very good interaction.
The hardest part of the job was initially understanding legal terminology and practices of a Magistrate Court.
I have enjoyed working with very like minded people that interact with you and enjoy their work.
Pros
Flexible working pattern
Cons
Only temporary roles available in this area
Diverse work force
Prison Officer (Current Employee) –  London16 July 2018
Interesting place to work but has its moment of danger to staff. Prisoners do not recile from attacking staff and not a job for any one. However, there offenders who value the work of staff are appreciative of the efforts that staff have put in.
Pros
meeting lots of people
Awful
Listing Officer (Current Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames, Greater London5 September 2018
Higher management do not care about there staff or moral of the office. They apply pressure at all angles and wonder why they have such a high turn over on staff I wish I never joined!!
Pros
The staff in my office
Cons
Higher management not caring for staff
Professional working and good central location
Project Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London25 August 2018
I worked as a contractor on a very aggressive Windows 10 Deployment across a number of sites, so had to stay calm, assertive and efficient at all times.

Co-workers are friendly from Management to Non-Management staff.
Interesting, Fun, Nice people
PROJECT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London30 October 2018
I really enjoyed my time at the MoJ. A great place to work with friendly people. A nice environment and work culture, I really enjoyed my role and would return given the chance.
Infrastructure Project Manager (Former Employee) –  London2 October 2018
Enjoyed every moment of it and want to go back ASAP been looking at new roles here lately. Culture is great felt like a family of workers when we where sinking pints after work.
Pros
Good Cafe
Day to day experience at the office
Chief Legal Clerk (Current Employee) –  Oshakati, Namibia16 November 2017
Dealing with Criminal matters. I learn legal system , how it works. Management does not care about the well being of low level employees. The hardest part of the job is work overload and low salary. Enjoyable is meeting different people with different scenarios.
Pros
No work during weekends.
Cons
No training

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ministry of Justice. Our community is ready to answer.