Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government

Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government Employee Reviews

United Kingdom13 reviews
Good natured fellow employees willing and able to offer advice and assistance where needed. Excellent IT. The work was challenging and varied and interesting, and the supervising officers were knowledgeable and patient.
Encouraged culture to identify issues and risks and provide business solutions; some risks were hard to develop management interest. Great team and good location
Pros
Great team
Cons
Challenging reporting
This is an IT Contract, there isn't anything more I can say. each contract changes from one to the next and I do not feel I am able to give advice on a company I do not work for
Great people to work with. Good opportunities to contribute ideas and skills to the running of a vital ministry in the heart of Government in Westminster.
A great place to work, always something interesting and challenging to get involved in. A wide variety of tech form VB6 applicaions to the latest cloud based web apps.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Limited pay rises (next pay increase is in 2028)
relaxed place to work with good people but the teams are led by particularly uninspiring and formulaic management styles. good place to work if you don't want to progress or particularly develop yourself. full of lifers.
Pros
Annual Leave
Cons
Career progression
The Planning Inspectorate provides an interesting place to work where one can learn in-depth information regarding the planning procedure in England, from start to finish.
Great place to work. Good work life balance.
Flexible working. Good career progression.

Civil service job can move around the department and get to work across Whitehall.
When i was there they treated me great and i learnt a lot. the people are friendly hours good but i was only work experience so i cannot give full review on placement.
Pros
Good hours.
Cons
expensive food
I worked at the Planning Inspectorate for a number of years generally it was a good place to work and flexible.I l did learn lots about planning a typical day was spent doing emails and working alongside councils and inspectors. There were strict deadlines to follow which could cause stress. The hardest part of job was it was always busy. The easiest was having the flexibility.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
tight deadlines
Very friendly workplace, workload can ebb and flow. Work was not necessarily challenging. All employees are treated relatively equally. Good benefits of the job include flexi time.
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
Can get boring
My career as a town planner began with my student placement within the Infrastructure Planning Commission (IPC) which was established to determine applications for nationally significant infrastructure projects (NSIPs) under the PA2008. Upon graduation I was offered a permanent post within the IPC/ Planning Inspectorate (United Kingdom) and was promoted to the position of Planner.

The work experience and recently gained degree has perfectly prepared me to progress further in my career as a town planner. My current role, involves high level project management skills and stakeholder engagement competence. Working closely with multidisciplinary team and assistance of the Examining Inspectors are key principles in my job. Great knowledge of the English planning system, key legislation and associated procedures allows me to provide policy, planning and procedural advice to developers and external stakeholders.

I am keen to relocate to continue with my career progression.
This was an enjoyable contract role with a varied set of duties and responsibilities working within a small team of individuals.
Duties included:

- Mentoring

- Business As Usual

- Migrations and Installs of SQL Server and Databases

- Problem solving

- Report and package development

- Performance tuning
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government. Our community is ready to answer.
4.5