Ministry of Defence Employee Reviews

Great employment if no commitments
RN POLICE (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire23 May 2018
I have thoroughly enjoyed my time in the RN, however, stability is now non-existent and work\life balance is questionable. If you have no responsibilities or commitments this is a perfect job for you, with promotion prospects.
Pros
Healthcare, dental, holiday allowance, security.
Cons
No stability, poor work/life balance, no union and therefore no say, an expectation to work all hours at no notice, sometimes for months on end.
Atypical Government Organisation
Senior Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Fareham9 May 2018
MOD staff are in the main non specialist roles covering a multitude of different tasks as required. Like most Government organisations relies on the dedication and goodwill of its staff.
Pros
Flexible Working
Cons
Long hours, poor salary, little training opportunities
Fantastic Career
Civil Servant (Former Employee) –  London, High Wycombe, Salisbury, Germany, Bristol8 May 2018
I had a fantastic career with the MOD, had the opportunity to work in various locations, and in a variety of roles. The work was interesting and rewarding, loved working to support the work of the Armed Forces. I had opportunities that just don't come up in other companies - to attend university and study for a Masters Degree, to work overseas, to travel overseas, to negotiate with other Governments, to attend Parliament, to brief MPs. Some places and roles were better than others inevitably, but in the main the MOD was a great place to work.
What you put in, is why you get out.
GNR (Current Employee) –  Scotland5 May 2018
The title speaks for itself, if you work hard and out I the effort, you will find yourself being given more opportunities and chances to advance up the ranks.
Pros
Experience, cheap travel, fun and you will make many friends.
Cons
Pay is a little low.
Productive and Enjoyable Workplace
Business Manager, RAF Bicester (Former Employee) –  Bicester27 April 2018
The people are friendly and helpful. The management is clear in its goals and provide training and guidelines to help achieve targets.

With flexible working hours, you cant go wrong.
DIO - think twice
Heo (Former Employee) –  Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands16 April 2018
Job differed to what was stated in ad (apparently this is a common occurrence from speaking to other staff) and really poor as I never would have accepted the job. They struggle to get employees in so make job ads attractive - BEWARE!
Training on job ad not provided and limited from training due to over expenditure on budgets
Poor direction and guidance from clueless senior management who are sitting around waiting for retirement and their pensions
Little or no training which was stressful
Progression in my team was based on who management liked vs skills and attributes & limited opportunity for progression
Poor management behaviours and very outdated style of management - not leadership in any sense
Toxic working environment and high levels of micromanagement
Slow paced and boring
The worst CS department I have worked in yo date
Pros
Cons
Too many to mention
Good Workplace
Information Manager (Current Employee) –  Woking16 April 2018
Personable working environment often presented with challenges due to the nature of the work. Good work life balance is presented but can sometimes involve longer working hours
Pros
Flexible Working
Cons
No pay progression in band
Ok
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol10 April 2018
OK place to work however the new pay scheme is awful. It should go back to how it was before with the pay grades and better progression opportunities.
first real job
General Hand (Former Employee) –  Aldershot26 March 2018
this is thirty years ago and i damned if i can find anything useful to say that is relevant today. i was a general labourer and cleaner doing odds and ends until army cuts made my position unnecessary
Pros
long lunch breaks
Cons
none that i remember
Work Experience
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Andover23 March 2018
I learnt to do general office admin jobs such as filing, computing skills, writing E-mails and taking phone calls.
The team were very good and friendly towards me, making it a much more relaxed atmosphere.
Pros
Got a lift in each day
Cons
Long Hours
a company that looks after you
CSO (Former Employee) –  Fareham, Hampshire14 March 2018
hard work for reasonable pay,good workmates,questionable managemet,and no longer the job for life culture it used to be,but all in all the thirty years i worked them i felt safe and well looked after.
Pros
good pension
Cons
mediocre wages
Not for everyone.
Royal Engineer (Current Employee) –  Catterick12 March 2018
Long periods of time spent away from family. Last minute deployments and jobs. Testing conditions and institutionalised living. Apart from that a good salary, secure job and some great life experience.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Time spent away. Demanding hours.
Extremely diverse job roles
Army Commando (Former Employee) –  Plymouth6 March 2018
A typical working day would include equipment care and preparation. Typically you would expect to go away 6 months of the year for training or operational duties. I learned many skills such as driving multiple vehicles of different sizes and capabilities. Personal fitness was and still is kept to a high standard.
The hardest part of the job would be time away from home (2 months plus).
The most enjoyable part of the job was working within a small professional organisation with a high entry standard as it inspired high self confidence and great camaraderie.
Reprographic Officer
Reprographics Operator (Former Employee) –  Nottinghamshire23 February 2018
I enjoyed working with the people and the equipment within the department. The typical day would consist of Photocopying, Scanning, Printing and Binding, along with fielding telephone calls and emails.
Supporting our military personnel
PA to Director Service Liaison (Former Employee) –  Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands12 February 2018
Working behind the scenes to enable the tri-service personnel do their most important job protecting our nation. Opportunities to progress with hard work.
Secure
Administrator (Current Employee) –  North West3 February 2018
Secure regular work. Nothing out of the ordinary, no great highs or lows. Not sure what else there is to say about this role. Good holiday entitlement and nice people to work with.
Pros
free parking
Cons
not exciting or varied work
Good Place to work, if you have a good manager
Admin specialist DE&S (Current Employee) –  Cambridgeshire21 January 2018
After serving 25 years in the Armed Forces, I joined the MOD, did not pay me the Contract I signed for, very poor wages, very very bad management, that is when they came to work, I have only experienced bad lying managers who commit fraud and get away with it, they change the job role to suit the so called business reasons
Pros
finishing time
Cons
lunch brake
Not much room for promotion
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Liverpool11 January 2018
Flexible hours and good work life balance with plenty of benefits, but poor wages and no chance of Advancement with job cuts. Overall a good place to work.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Poor wages
A wide range of opportunities to develop career
Higher Executive Officer (Former Employee) –  Bath and North East Somerset10 January 2018
Good place to work but depends on which department, large variety of jobs on offer, decent opportunities to advance career and good training facilities
Pros
Good opportunities
Cons
Limited salaries
I would reccommend this to anyone.
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Glasgow10 January 2018
From the first day to the last there was never a 'typical day'. That is one of the many reasons that I loved the job, each day was different. even when you thought you knew what the day ahead would bring, something or other cam up and the day would change.
I learned many skills during my time in the MOD, many are not much use in the 'real world' but some are, they include, team work, how to organise at speed, thinking on the hoof with a clear plan, hard work, how to get on with other people from many different backgrounds, first aid, health and safety, physical and mental robustness, how to give to others, administration and clerical skills, and more to boot.
Due to the nature of the job, I came across many different managers of differing abilities, approachability an work ethic at all levels of the organisation. each had one brought something to the table to learn from and have all made me the person that I am today.
In each place that I worked there was an instant connection with pretty much all colleagues that I worked with. Although we all had our good and bad points, we all knew that and worked off each other to get the job done.
Some of the hardest parts of the job was being away from friends, family and home, but that can also be some of the best parts of the job also. I loved travelling the world, being with really great friends/colleagues and experiencing life as many do not get the chance to do.
Pros
The whole experience
Cons
Having to leave