Ministry of Defence Employee Reviews

Apprenticeship
Apprentice Instrument Maker (Former Employee) –  Sealand15 October 2018
NA It is over 15 years since I worked there and any comments I have now would be so far out of date they would be useless, I know this scheme is no longer in place
Shocking senior management
Logistics Manager (Former Employee) –  Abbey Wood2 October 2018
Where to start!
-Senior management are heavy handed and will drive their own bonus regardless of the consequences.
-Unjust and complex performance appraisal system designed to make you sweat the minute amount of 'incentive' it may or may not deliver.
Pros
Working for any other employer afterwards will feel great!
Cons
You wont be able to find a toilet, or a car parking space to save your life. 4 to a tiny desk, insane organisational changes which appear to be dreamt up by a 3 year old, pushed through regardless!
Mod
Receptionist / Administrator (Former Employee) –  Crawley, West Sussex22 September 2018
I love the people I work beside. ...
Great people attract great people.
I love having the freedom to experiment and fail, and still support my actions.
We have been asked for an opinion on a regular basis, and we are allowed to speak our mind without fear.
Overall good
Mechanical Fitter (Current Employee) –  Beith14 September 2018
Good workolace atmosphere, slow pace can get too much, all other staff are friendly and have a family like closeness. Sometimes work can be slow at held up at all available points meaning weeks can feel like forever
Pros
Flexi time
Cons
Very slow pace
A good employer for a stable job.
Executive Officer (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London13 September 2018
Stability. Progression. Flexible working. Travel. Development opportunities. Variety. Personal development. Government. Pension scheme. International.
Stick to MOD Main - avoid DE&S
Tornado Aircraft Deactivation Team member (Current Employee) –  Marham11 September 2018
MOD Main is still a great place to work where you are valued, well trained and good efforts are appreciated.
However - I would advise against joining the DE&S part of the organisation as the pay and performance regime is stacked against those on the "shop floor". Outdated industry practices have been brought in which bring little or no benefit to the organisation and hamper the business. that said, if you are a Scheduler or are based in the Bristol area, this could well be the place for you as that's where the only opportunities seem to be these days.
Pros
Flexi, decent holiday allowances
Management not able to make decisions
Middle Management (Former Employee) –  Corsham, Wiltshire5 September 2018
I worked for MOD for most of my career and most of that time was fulfilling , interesting and exciting, Unfortunately due to policy changes and management chain changes, my last 6 years were difficult. I was permanently on 24 hour call out, responding within the hour yet was expected to be at my desk at 0700hrs when I could have been working all night. Management had no idea of the complexities of my department.
The most enjoyable part of my post was working with the military who were always positive and had a 'can do' attitude
The worst was attempting to explain my position to people who didn't want to know
Pros
travel to out of the way places
Cons
very long hours
Excellent interactive work conditions
Clerk of Works (Former Employee) –  Lyneham25 August 2018
Interaction between the construction team and consultants excellent , with a collaborative approach expressed by client and contractor .
Tolerance and professionalism shown by all key participants .
Pros
Good working relationships
To political
Specialist institutional officer (Current Employee) –  Leconfield near Beverley7 August 2018
To politically correct ,
Not a good working culture and lack of promotion, and no pay rises for eight years so making it harder to pay bills and run a family.
Excellent Workforce and Management
Transition Manager (Current Employee) –  Headley Court23 July 2018
The staff are friendly and very professional and the Management provide excellent support and are approachable to all staff. Line Managers provide the opportunity and freedom to use your own initiative yet are supportive to your needs.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
it is re-locating to the East Midlands
Productive well managed workplace
Executive Officer - Budget Manager (Former Employee) –  York18 July 2018
Much more structured and driven than the Ministry of Justice. Professional Management in place and goals and objectives clearly set. Full training given and Line management happy to assist when new items appear.
Pros
Great Atmosphere and a structured day
Civil Service
Civil Servant (Former Employee) –  UK and Europe16 July 2018
20 years of working in numerous bases around the UK and Europe was the best job I have ever had. The variation and ability to change posts meant one was able to try something new and gain experience in a myriad of areas from personnel to engineering.
Lacking Engineering work and low pay, however extremely good work life balance
Technical Through Life Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol12 July 2018
There is little true Engineering work to be undertaken and you have to fight to not be moved away from it. Your trained skills are undervalued and management will seek to make you fit in any unfilled role they have however the work life balance is extremely good. They offer 25 increasing to 30 days holiday as standard and operate a true flexi system allowing employees to take up to 36 extra days a year without management approval. They also allow you to work the hours you need to fit around you life, for example I start very early and am able to pick my daughter up from school whilst maintaining my full time hours.
High Profile
Interim Facility Manager (Former Employee) –  Brecon, Powys29 May 2018
Complete facility management of a prestigious high profile site. Dealing with the client at a very high level. This role required the ability to influence and build productive relationships with a variety of external stakeholders and senior ranking officer and other dignitaries.
Great employment if no commitments
RN POLICE (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire23 May 2018
I have thoroughly enjoyed my time in the RN, however, stability is now non-existent and work\life balance is questionable. If you have no responsibilities or commitments this is a perfect job for you, with promotion prospects.
Pros
Healthcare, dental, holiday allowance, security.
Cons
No stability, poor work/life balance, no union and therefore no say, an expectation to work all hours at no notice, sometimes for months on end.
Atypical Government Organisation
Senior Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Fareham9 May 2018
MOD staff are in the main non specialist roles covering a multitude of different tasks as required. Like most Government organisations relies on the dedication and goodwill of its staff.
Pros
Flexible Working
Cons
Long hours, poor salary, little training opportunities
Fantastic Career
Civil Servant (Former Employee) –  London, High Wycombe, Salisbury, Germany, Bristol8 May 2018
I had a fantastic career with the MOD, had the opportunity to work in various locations, and in a variety of roles. The work was interesting and rewarding, loved working to support the work of the Armed Forces. I had opportunities that just don't come up in other companies - to attend university and study for a Masters Degree, to work overseas, to travel overseas, to negotiate with other Governments, to attend Parliament, to brief MPs. Some places and roles were better than others inevitably, but in the main the MOD was a great place to work.
What you put in, is why you get out.
GNR (Current Employee) –  Scotland5 May 2018
The title speaks for itself, if you work hard and out I the effort, you will find yourself being given more opportunities and chances to advance up the ranks.
Pros
Experience, cheap travel, fun and you will make many friends.
Cons
Pay is a little low.
Productive and Enjoyable Workplace
Business Manager, RAF Bicester (Former Employee) –  Bicester27 April 2018
The people are friendly and helpful. The management is clear in its goals and provide training and guidelines to help achieve targets.

With flexible working hours, you cant go wrong.
DIO - think twice
Heo (Former Employee) –  Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands16 April 2018
Job differed to what was stated in ad (apparently this is a common occurrence from speaking to other staff) and really poor as I never would have accepted the job. They struggle to get employees in so make job ads attractive - BEWARE!
Training on job ad not provided and limited from training due to over expenditure on budgets
Poor direction and guidance from clueless senior management who are sitting around waiting for retirement and their pensions
Little or no training which was stressful
Progression in my team was based on who management liked vs skills and attributes & limited opportunity for progression
Poor management behaviours and very outdated style of management - not leadership in any sense
Toxic working environment and high levels of micromanagement
Slow paced and boring
The worst CS department I have worked in yo date
Pros
Cons
Too many to mention