Millets

Millets Employee Reviews

United Kingdom77 reviews
I had a good team to work with, with whom I became confident I could rely upon to produce good team efforts. The manager praised freely if you did well, Senior management frequently visited & were often demeaning toward ground level workers.The hardest part was achieving the add-on sales targets.
Pros
Friendly team workers
Cons
Often short staffed & undisturbed lunch breaks rare.
The team works so well together. Easy to talk to staff. Supportive, lovely people. Will help if needed. Environment professional but casual. Easy to follow tasks.
If you enjoy working in retail and enjoy the outdoors, then it’s for you. Always different every day , on-site training on computer is excellent so learning about the brands you sell is excellent. Store merchandising is easy Best part of the job is the customers,
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
A good job to introduce you to the world of retail, and the progression from store assistant to store supervisor is pretty easy if you have the required drive and push for it.
Pros
People you work with
Cons
Head office are all over the place.
I was manager for 3 years at a small millets branch in a rural town in the Midlands. The building was over 200 years old the basement would flood with sewerage on occasion and the layout was cramped to say the least. A new area manager tried to give me a written warning for it being untidy. This was overturned after an appeal.
Poor management
Awful pay

Lack of respect from higher authorities

Managment levels are poor and leave big tasks last minute to complain to stores when they havent been completed
I personally love working there and love the management team my only real issue is I’m doing a lot of hours just to find I’m making half of what my fellow co workers are making
I have been working at Millets for almost two years now and it has been an amazing company to work for. All of my team are hardworking individuals with outstanding personalities. The most enjoyable part has been the friendships that have been created within the company. There is a lot of product knowledge to learn but this allows you to feel confident within the sales you make and customers know that they are receiving the best product for what they need. I have learnt a significant amount about the outdoors, traveling around the world and I have received a lot of advice from loyal customers who encourage you to get out and see more than just your town. A really enjoyable atmosphere to work within!
Pros
Friendly and caring colleagues
Cons
Different amount of hours each week
Because millets are a part of the JD sport group you can expect a well maintained site and plenty of over time. Good management. work load is managed by organisation of staff
Good team and company to work for but can get difficult at times you have to be In store for 5.30am when there are Audits happening and if you are the unlucky one you might have to work the all day shift as well
If you are looking for a retail environment long term, the Outdoor Group is for you.
KPI and On Target Earnings based, you get to exceed customer expectations and deliver great service daily. The working environment is friendly, it can be slow at times, however it can be extremely fast paced as well. Every day brings a new challenge, there is never a dull moment.
I have found Millets to be a challenging but rewarding company to work for. I first worked from them in 1999-2009 and returned in 2018. Overall, the company supports staff and promotes a good work ethic.
Staff is very friendly n supportive. They have good management. I leaned many things from there.they very busy in summer days. I worked with them around 5 months
Obtained a number of skills working within this workplace. Worked well within a group environment and built my confidence up when working and interacting with people.
i thought it was a really good experience to work within a company that sells outdoor gear for duke of edinburgh and i got a good insight of the company and how it communicates with its customers
The manager of the store is not very supportive or able to exert his authority in the correct way.

I learnt how to use the till and about customer service.

In my opinion, not a great place to work. The salary is not very good, only just above minimum wage.
The workplace culture is great, with great stuff to support new members and plenty of opportunities to develop working knowledge both through online training and whilst working. A typical day is helping the customer on the shop floor and keeping the store clean and tidy throughout the day, or putting out delivery. The great thing is they take on even young people who have no prior work experience providing opportunities for all.
Millets for me was an okay place to work, was a place that I was around the things I love (walking, camping). however, the company does not value you as a person but more like a number. the company personally lied to me and my staff about our job status after our store entered close down process, resulting in me being made redundant. would not recommend to those under 18 as the wage is minimum and a lot more work is expected of you.
Pros
Very Good Discount, Some staff were lovely to work with.
Cons
Minimum Wage, Unfair work load. Not valued
Sometimes quiet sometimes busy. But a fun place to work. Always something to do whether its delivery standards restocking cleaning or training/product knowledge on the ipad. We all chip in and help each other working well together.
Always something new to learn and further your knowledge in the products. Customer service is the most important part of our job making sure each customer is greeted with a smile and served with great customer service. If we can't find your size in store we can find it on the kiosk!
Good place to work for, motivated team and always busy. Learned a lot about the products and gained new skills to use in work since. I would recommend this company.
Pros
Overtime.
Cons
None.
A typical day at Millets consisted of stacking shelves and rotating stock whenever it was winter, summer, autumn or spring time. Every Friday you would have to unpack deliveries as well as help customers with their enquiries into certain products.
I learned more about time-keeping to arrive on time for work and how to make up for lost time at work if necessary.

The management and the staff I worked alongside were very polite and often helped out if I had a problem.

The most enjoyable part about the job was that you got to help a lot of people who needed help. Sometimes they didn't need the help, but you often pointed them in the right directions for what they needed, It also helped boost my confidence as well.
Pros
Depending on your shift, you normally got a hour break.
Cons
N/a