Miller & Carter

Miller & Carter Pay & benefits reviews

United Kingdom234 reviews
They do lots of training on the food/drinks, which is only useful to a degree, for the basic salary rate of (£6.71) it is quite demanding. But if you are a good waitress you can make a fortune from customer tips. I pretty much doubled my wage from the tips. But it depends on which customers you have that evening and whether they are generous, some nights id earn £100 + in tips and some I would literally earn none at all. The people I worked with have become friends for life, but management can be patronizing and sour, especially to new employees. It's very easy to et a job there, but you've got to be strong-willed to deal with the job, therefore many employees leave soon after joining! The hours are also unsociable, leaving little time for personal progression, especially as they were very picky about holiday.
Pros
Generous tips, 33% discount across M&B, meet lovely people
Cons
Long and tiresome hours, no breaks, lots of pressure
Perfect place to work when you are young, good tips.
It’s nice to be to have a full time position, but I believe everyone can get full time position within the time
Pros
Good staff discount, good tips
Cons
Short shifts
Really enjoyed working here. They teach you as much as they can, loads of standards and steak knowledge to take in!.
wish I could've found a transfer when moved to London.
Pros
Flexible shifts & Good tips
Cons
Paying for staff food
Great benefits, the 33% discount is really good.
Management can be varied.

Hours can be past midnight and you don’t get paid for it. Unless you are 18.
Good tips, but not your salary, staff are lovely. Good job but not a serious career as a server, shifts are often able to be swapped, your required to work weekends and the guest are lovely.
Not good management. If managers don't like you, you will know it. They got their favorites. If you have a issue you can't flag it as every manager goes against you. Wages was always wrong. Someone didn't get paid 1month haf to wait till next payday and still no wages.
Cons
Good as a starter job and as a long lasting job. One off the most friendly teams I’ve ever met. Take time to learn the layout of the restaurant and the job will come easy as time progresses.
Pros
Friendly team.
Cons
Distance to get there ( if not driving).
Best place I have ever worked, minimum wage however tips are very good which gives you a great wage.
Bubbly team who support you and make it fun. Management always have your best interests at heart
Pros
Excellent tips, supportive and fun team, attentive managers
Cons
Decent first job, decent money if you don’t have bills to pay! The tips are decent, could be a little better managed otherwise a decent job
Can be hectic on weekends
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Miller & Carter?
forget your life
forget a nice salary
forget the peacefull life
forget to learn about hospitality

just deliver food to the table and hours cleaning

have fun
As a student definitely not the right restaurant job. Overwhelmingly negative management that only thought about targets and ignored any queries about hours. Really didn’t care about my experience or any of their other staff, regardless of how hard anyone worked. Wouldn’t recommend.
Cons
No free food, long hours, high expectations for little back
Management team there is abysmal, toxic work environment, constantly expected to become a drone of the company. Job security is high but often times where you aren't given enough hours or manager gives better hours out to their preferred waiters. Very unsociable hours which is part & parcel of the industry and hard to get time off
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Unsociable hours, Poor management, Rude team
Working for miller and carter is great as the staff are lovely and always try and cover your shifts for you if needed. The pay is good and the guests give good tips.
The hours aren't great as you could be working all day everyday some weeks then just nights others.
Hours drop then go up and then drop again.

You may be contracted to certain hours but you're not actually guaranteed them.

Always expecting more and more from you no matter how hard you work.

The team are brilliant but when it comes to getting problems sorted they are useless.
Pros
Good team, can have a laugh
Cons
Bad hours, no time for home or private life, bad wage
The management at the restaurant were always friendly however the contracted people I was employed under were an absolute joke. Salary given for the hours worked was pretty decent though.
No sociable work hours, never get to leave at time scheduled, management are useless and don't do anything, made to wear ridiculous uniform in all weather's, have to hand out most of your tips at the end of the night and if you havnt got it you have to give it out your own pocket! No progression opportunities and way too much expected of you for the wage and gratitude receive
I lasted a week. Managers were rude and demanding. I was expected to know everything as soon as I walked in. Everything I did was critisied. They expected maximum effort while paying minimum wage. If I was on a 5 - finish I never got a break. DO NOT WORK THERE.
Pros
Cons
Everythinng
Worked here over Christmas period. Short staffed trying to hire more. Had to work every significant day over Christmas/new year period as holidays not given fairly, ie. one person got all the days off.
Only benefit was the lovely staff, management poor and had favourites. Would not recommend
Pros
33% discount
Cons
Everything else
Some great work colleagues (a very small few were not). Management were okay but didn’t make much effort with the staff in a nice way yet constantly felt watched
Pros
On shift discount and 33% off shift
Cons
Not much praise, can get crowded
The job is extremely demanding and difficult, however I really enjoy being a waitress. My team is really nice positive and we are all good friends. We all help each other when in need and I think that’s why the job is completed to the best standard every time.
Pros
Incentives
Cons
Alright place to work. Nothing to special.
Pretty flexible hours
Management is alright
If you're looking to advance in the hospitality industry

this is the place to look