Miller & Carter Employee Reviews

Difficult
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Swansea15 May 2018
The managers were laidback which was difficult because you don’t know if you’re doing well or not. The job wasn’t overly difficult but the workload was very overwhelming. The colleagues were the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
50% off on shift food
Awful
Kitchen Porter (Current Employee) –  Lytham St. Annes14 May 2018
the management won't listen to any problems you have, i work 1 shift a week for about 5 hours even though i signed a 16 hour contract, i tried telling the manager several times and he promised me more hours but i never got them.
Could be improved
Chef (Former Employee) –  St Albans, Hertfordshire1 April 2018
If you want your rota changed on a day to day basis, being over worked and underpaid then this is the job for you!
I got hired under the impression that I’d be using fresh ingredients, and they was right. They was so fresh it was frozen.
Chefs are on poor rates for the job they do
Management are generally disorganised with again poor communication skills
And I really don’t get ringing that bell and salad wedge
Welcoming Staff and Nice work place
Table Hand (Former Employee) –  Exeter, Devon21 March 2018
I loved working with the people at Miller and Carter but i dont think that this job was suited to me. They wanted me to work all the time, and on days i had specifically told them i couldn't do.
The people that i worked with were all very helpful and supportive, I just didn't get along with the actual job because of the hours they wanted me to do.
They give you reasonable pay and the managers are lovely.
Pros
colleagues feel like a family
Cons
very long hours
Team were great
Front of House Staff (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire29 January 2018
Miller and Carter is a very busy place so you always have a job to do to keep you on your feet. The team i worked with were very kind and helping each other made the busy days so much easier for everyone. The food served was always amazing and the training provided was great. Short hours did make it a struggle to work here but overall a good experience.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Short hours
A fun workplace that never gets boring.
Chef (Former Employee) –  Lakeside Shopping Centre, Essex10 January 2018
Miller and Carter is always a busy place - there's never a day that goes by where there's nothing to do. There's great opportunities to learn within the company, and the team are generally a fun loving bunch that like to have a laugh while still keeping their head in the game.
Its ok
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside9 January 2018
Decent place to work, fast paced, friendly staff with an experienced team. good place to learn about steaks too. Downfall is the tip system. Its ridiculously bad for bar staff.

would NOT recommend if your a bartender who wants to make tips.
Pros
Steaks
Cons
Tips for Bar staff
Terrible hours and Management
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Worcester, Worcestershire12 December 2017
Management don't do a good job always play favourites with certain people, pay is really bad for a company such as Miller and Carter. The first few months the manager couldn't pay anyone properly and clearly can't do his job properly and is dating one of the waitresses (Again playing favourites) Training was terrible and overall is was just a waste of time. Only good thing is other staff members were mostly alright to get on with
Pros
Other staff members (Excludes Management)
Cons
Bad hours, pay, managers
Fun workplace
Bartender/Waitress (Former Employee) –  Chigwell, Essex1 November 2017
Friendly work place, although there isn't a lot of control on the managers part. I have recently eaten in the Miller & Carter since working there and have notice that it is very unprofessional at times and the service is poor.
Pros
30% discount
Living nightmare
Bartender (Former Employee) –  London12 October 2017
Management was never helpful, never listened to staff or customer complaints. On my first week I worked 8 days in a row and 4 of them were double shifts, 11;30 til past midnight, I felt over worked and stressed out, not feeling like i got enough rest to be focused on the next day. The only thing I liked about the job was the fact I worked with my friend who helped me get the job.
Pros
Worked with friends
Cons
Over worked
Low pay, awful management
Chef (Former Employee) –  Warrington11 October 2017
Although easy to move through the ranks, and a near inability it seemed for other chefs to be fired, the management was awful. They relied heavily on the competency of young staff, even going as far as to put a 16 year old on the front line. Chefs of course walked, and an inability to replace them, increased the work load drastically for the rest of us for at least 5 months leading up to me leaving. We were regularly left waiting for an hour+ before being let in to start our shifts. One manager went as far as to spread rumours about members of staff, this is a 30+ year old apparent professional. The constant talk of getting their bonuses due to our achievements became incredibly damaging to morale.

I would never work for a restaurant owned by Mitchell and butlers. They are the exact sort of corporation that has destroyed the industry for young professional chefs and I advise anyone thinking of joining them to see at as a stop gap, and make sure your aim is to work where the food is fresh, the management is good and the standards are high.
Pros
Free food, long leash
Cons
Everything else
Fun place to work.
Front of House Staff (Current Employee) –  Harlow, Essex9 October 2017
Great place to work, I am part of an upbeat, outgoing team.
Great customers, never had bad customer feed back personally.
Good, flexible hours that are deemed reasonable.
productive
Food Runner (Current Employee) –  Worcester30 September 2017
a friendly environment with a relaxing atmosphere - great food and drinks to offer with lots of skills learnt along the way. the hardest part is dealing with wrong orders and complaints, also when it is extremely busy.
Pros
friendly team
Cons
busy
Not the best
Deputy Manager (Former Employee) –  Wilmslow, UK30 September 2017
Dont get paid enough for what you do unfortunately. If you have a family forget it. They demand too much of your time with very little reward or thanks. Its sad but true.
Pros
50% off food when working
Cons
long hours, if your face doesnt fit you wont move up
I'd go back
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  South East17 September 2017
The salaries are not particularly competitive and I worked considerably over my contracted hours on a regular basis, however, both the restaurant teams and management teams are full of fantastic people and I would happily return! Albeit, for the right money!!
Pros
The brand feels like a family
Cons
Busy and fun work place with its faults.
flow (Former Employee) –  Rickmansworth, Hertfordshire11 September 2017
I loved working at Miller & Carter. Being very busy it was exactly what I wanted. The teamwork amazing and I believe everyone really tried their best to upkeep the miller and Carter standards. Sadly I became sick with the flu and was reprimanded for doing so. My shifts were cut from 6/7 a week to 1 with no explanation. One of the managers then seemed to find any opportunity to embarrass or 'tell me off'. 9/ 10 it was necessary. It began to have a knock on me as a person.
Pros
busy
Cons
management
Miller and Carter
FOH (Current Employee) –  Bournemouth1 September 2017
The place is altogether a good experience of different kind of people we meet, we work with and is also fun loving atmosphere. Everyday is a new day with new experience
Its okay
Waiter/Bar Staff (Current Employee) –  Ipswich29 August 2017
Hard work at miller and carter, the pay is poor but the company is good most the time. The shifts can be long, but the breaks do not feel like they are long enough.
Pros
50% off
Cons
Poor pay
Fun work place but very demanding
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Ruislip, Greater London11 August 2017
Great working atmosphere but very demanding on hours and shifts, hard to maintain both social and work life as quite understaffed. Hourly wage is minimum and there seems little opportunity to progress.
Floor Staff / Bar Staff
Bar Person (Former Employee) –  Poulton le Fylde, Lancashire1 August 2017
Great company to work for, the management and staff were so friendly and it made working fun. The only thing for me was the hours, as you could be working from 12 am till close or start at 6pm, but that was the job itself and I couldn't complain.
Pros
Money and management
Cons
Hours can be long and working at funny times

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Miller & Carter. Our community is ready to answer.