Miki Travel Limited Employee Reviews

The company is a joke
FIT Reservations Agent (Former Employee) –  City of London, Greater London8 March 2019
This company is an absolute joke. I saw 2 types of employee. Those who have been there for over 10 years and never worked anywhere else...and those who come and leave within 6 months after seeing what a joke it is (the majority).

- "trained" on a reservation system from 1980. If you don't master the system within a month you will be sacked on the spot (even though the training is supposed to be 3 months).

- No progression opportunities. People are promoted for their length of service, not their ability to do the job.

- School mentality. You cannot even go to a meeting on your own. You have to wait until your manager is ready to collect you from your desk and escort you. (Even for team meetings we had to walk as a team to the room).

- Micromanagement. You will see 2/3 different cursors pop up on your screen whilst you are working. These are the cursors of managers logging into your screen.

- The atmosphere is horrid.
Pros
Free tea/coffee, decent salary
Cons
no career progression, no discounts, backward mentality, micromanagement, old system
"My Worst Employment Experience EVER"
FIT Reservation Agent (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London30 April 2018
I worked at Miki Travel full-time (More than a year)

Weak Poor Management allows supervisors to take control of staff Supervisors you report to - are in charge and are authoritarian, rude and unprofessional Everyone is stressed due overload of work High staff turnover- check out all other reviews No incentives No Rewards Very old(DOS) from the 80s in house system which is cumbersome - together with poor training equals a nightmare

Advice to Management
Do not dismiss complaints or allow people to train and supervise others - especially if there is "history" and when you have had numerous complaints from their staff/team previously about their behaviour and attitude. Most companies would take the appropriate disciplinary action or at minimum investigate and conduct a grievance and take the ongoing allegations more seriously.
Pros
Small Gym, Free coffee and Tea
Cons
Old management style and old system
10 October 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide this review. We welcome all feedback to help improve the working environment at MIKI.

It is difficult to comment on your review without further detail about your specific situation, while you were with us. However we would never pay staff to write reviews – this would be unacceptable business conduct. We are instead listening to feedback and making concerted efforts to enhance the overall work experience here. Staff are considered for promotions twice a year based on performance and appraisals, and we are delighted that many progress quite quickly and develop their careers with us.

We do appreciate that everyone has a different perspective on their work experience and we respect that, hence why we like to respond to all comment whether good or bad.We would welcome more specific information regarding your experience. Please contact us at hr.uk@group-miki.com. If not, then we wish you well for the future.

Productive workplace
Series and Special tour negotiator (Current Employee) –  London SE, Greater London8 April 2018
The typical day at work is usually quite busy. Firstly analysing sales office messages and requirements then starting to find space for large groups in hotels all over Europe try to get the best outcomes for the company in terms of rates and conditions.

Management is very good, they try to make the team feel confortamble everyday giving the tools to work properly and giving support when required

I have learned to work under pression meeting tight deadline
and to negotiate rates and conditiions to guaratnee competitiveness on the market and gain an advantage on competitors

The hardest part of the job is managing the workload and try to respect the tight deadline

The most enjoyable part is to manage to place the business in the hotels at rates and conditions we have been required to.
Pros
flixible hours
Cons
woarkload
Maybe a better place to work now
Sales Control / Sales Ledger (Former Employee) –  London EC44 April 2018
This job was the most awful job I have ever had. My confidence was badly dented I have never recovered.
There were management problems which was made public and in the press. However the changes came to late for me as I had already left. I can only hope that it is a better place to work.
Pros
The building is very nice and there is a gym with pool
Cons
Badly run department
The worst job ever in London
Contracts Coordinator (Former Employee) –  London19 February 2018
Avoid working for this company. Lack of management, no training at all. Old-fashioned computer system from the 80´s with tasks so repetitive. No career progression at all altough they promise you posibilities to grow. They will kick you quickly if you don´t get on well with department manager even with no reason.
Pros
nothing
Cons
No microwaves to heat your food?
12 October 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, we value your feedback. We recognise that our computer systems are old, that said they have remained a very reliable global platform for us. We are looking at how we can improve workflow and systems for the future, to improve. We regularly advertise vacancies internally and support internal moves and promotion opportunities exist within your Department. We are keen to improve the overall work experience at MIKI and appreciate your comments. We wish you every success for the future.

Good experience overall
Contracts Coordinator (Former Employee) –  London8 January 2018
The company offers the possibility to move internally.

Promotions are more limited though, being challenging making a move up.

Nice offices located in a prime location in London.
12 October 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, we really appreciate your comments, it’s great to hear that you had a good experience during your time with us. We would agree that we are in a great location on the river, with a gym and swimming pool in the building too. As well as promotions within your team, staff can apply to move to other roles. We appreciate that the timing around some of these opportunities does not work for everyone. We wish you every success for the future.

Worst employer ever
Group Reservations (Former Employee) –  London4 December 2017
The worst company I have ever worked for with managers who have gained their title only for their long service and loyalty but not for their abilities. They could never survive as a manager at any other company out of Miki.

Supervisors were generally rude and everything but not a help in the learning procedure.

During the 3-month long "training" when the supervisor had a bit of free time, explained a few things, otherwise most of the time they did not want to be disturbed, which was clearly stated. Once I really had to ask something and the supervisor started to shout (!) at me asking how did I dare to talk to her instead of sending an email at the end of the day.

At one of the meetings the manager explained me that if any of my superiors spoke to me, I was supposed to tell only "excuse me" and to keep silent afterward.

I have never ever seen a company like this. My only suggestion is to keep yourself far from there as it will not teach you anything and will not help in your further career. The only thing you can gain is frustration.
Profesionalidad
Coordinadora senior y administrativa (Former Employee) –  Londres2 October 2017
Empresa muy profesional, con muchísimas ventajas para el empleado. Contratación de empleados sin tener en cuenta sexo, edad, religión, color de piel... Tenían a todos los empleados contentos y los empleados trabajaban mucho y con entusiasmo. Ascender era complicado porque al final los supervisores o encargados promocionaban a amigos con los que sentían afinidad.
Good starting job
Validations Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London28 September 2017
Involved checking invoices sent by hotels to Miki for their services for possible overcharges, or if it had been misclassified on Miki's computer system. I worked in a small team although not much collaboration was required.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Can be a bit repetitive
Boring
Contracts Coordinator (Former Employee) –  London8 August 2017
Sitting down all day on a computer actioning emails on a concentration camp! Old style management that have preferences on members of staff only for being friends. Bad training program and bad trainers. The blame game is very quickly played. There is not a team atmosphere
Pros
free coffee
Cons
bad management style
Good team but lacks strategy and focus on employee satisfaction
IT Project Manager (Current Employee) –  London, UK26 April 2017
Management team needs an infusion of new ideas and is fairly resistant to change. Not many opportunities for employee growth especially in the IT department. Most of the roles are not very demanding hence can provide a decent work and personal balance. But,there is no Sick Leave and employees are allowed to take time of in case of sickness only if they work overtime to make-up for the time lost or have to take it as unpaid leave.
Working very hard
Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London24 November 2016
Nice school to start on the travel industry. Flexitime, gym, pension scheme and long term progression posibilities. No microwave for lunches.
Pros
Flexitime
Cons
Ambiente multicultural en el centro de Londres.
Administrativa (Former Employee) –  Londres5 October 2016
Gran experiencia laboral y personal, ya que esta empresa está ubicada en el centro de Londres.
Muy buen ambiente multicultural.
Pros
Horario flexible y gimnasio incluido.
Cons
Mucho cambio de personal.
Decent Workplace
Coordination Manager (Former Employee) –  Cannon Street Station11 September 2016
Coordinating tour groups on the road, assisting with emergency issues that arise on a daily basis, and then to formulate a collective solution or provide sound advice in order to assist with the situation.
I learnt alot from this role and how to deal with tricky situations that arose on a daily basis.
Worst tour operator i have ever worked in
Negotiator (Current Employee) –  London18 September 2014
Miki is one of the worst places to work in. if you are a young, ambitious and sociable person, you will not enjoy a minute of your time in Miki. its a place where old people with no hope in life go to work till the day they die.

Managers are unprofessional, arrogant and lack the most very basic people skills.
Job is very very demotivating and you will never learn anything which will benefit you in your career.

Very narrow mind and typical Japanese mentality all over the company and you will be blamed for everything which goes wrong even if its not your fault. and if you try to fight it, you will be sacked no questions asked. (this has actually happened to 3 people I know very well)

So consider other opportunities and work somewhere else
Pros
Cons
Infinite.
very productive and busy
Hotel Booking Clerk (Former Employee) –  London2 January 2014
• Hotel reservation for Leisure & business to UK and Ireland, Egypt, Greece and Istanbul.
• Contacting hotels by telephone to achieve a quick response, sending reconfirmation faxes whilst paying attention to detail. Also dealing with amendments, cancellation, book outs and tour reports within 24 hour resolution. Checking all correspondence from the hotel with rates and conditions. Processing conference and banqueting request as well

I learnt to organise and time manage my work to meet deadline whilst woking under pressure.

The hardest part of the job was resolving bookouts during high season.

What is most enjoyable is working with your collegues and attending hotel events and educationg yourseld with what you are selling.
Pros
excess hours built can be used for holiday
Cons
long hours during high season