Midlothian Council Employee Reviews

Ward Member (Current Employee) –  Midlothian16 May 2019
Positive environment, staff encouraged to develop more skills. Lots of opportunity for training and advancement. A great place to grown and develop your talent.
Good work place, strong team
Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Midlothian9 May 2019
Good work ethic within the company and welcoming atmosphere. Understanding of other commitments such as studying, creating a steady work/study balance.
Good Team Terrible Management
Leisure Attendant (Former Employee) –  Midlothian28 March 2019
Great work life balance
No progression opportunity
Terrible Management
People are great to work with although some areas very closed groups and can't group on you if you rub them the wrong way but have no real pull.
Pros
Great Friends made
Cons
Lack of organisation
Never know what will happen next
Homelessness Officer (Current Employee) –  Dalkeith, Midlothian12 February 2019
There isn’t a typical day really, every day is different. So many various people find themselves threatened with homelessness. Some simply want some housing advice. Good team to work with, very supportive of one another. Healthy work culture where we can talk about any problems we may have.
Nice place to work
Administration Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dalkeith, Midlothian7 February 2019
Good place to work, appreciating the employees, meeting a lot of people, employee benefits scheme, childcare vouchers scheme, paid mileage if work involves driving.
Primary Teacher (Current Employee) –  Midlothian28 October 2018
Midlothian council is a good place to work, I feel supported in my role as a teacher. The staff I work with are very good too, and highly supportive. I feel part of the team.
Easy going
Gardener (Current Employee) –  Gorebridge18 June 2018
Easy going job. Not the best management. Money could definitely be better. Chances for some tickets if full time and good amount of annual leave. Average overall
Pros
Annual leave
Cons
No real chance of moving up
Good team work with a friendly atmosphere
Revenues Officer (Former Employee) –  Dalkeith, Midlothian10 May 2018
A typical day at work is answering customer enquiries, setting up payment arrangements for council tax. Completing and checking benefit claims. Assessing and processing benefit and Scottish welfare fund claims.
The management are very considerate and listen and try to be fair to all employees.
The workplace culture here is friendly with good team work, everyone mucks in and we are all helpful to one another.
The hardest part of the job is dealing with upset and angry customers and keeping them calm.
The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help people, sometimes in a real crisis situation, and it gives good job satisfaction
Pros
Flexi Time, Good terms and conditions
Cons
Old building in need of decoration
Enjoyed working as part of a team
Collector sort (Former Employee) –  Stobhill5 April 2018
Great team working. Boosted my confidence. Learned new ways to deal with the public in new or difficult situations. Was always someone to help me out.
Pros
Being outdoors and active
Cons
Managment. Termination of contract without warning
Productive Work place
Waste Operative (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh27 March 2018
Day to day in the job is a fast based working environment, all staff are welcome and friendly.

My hardest part of the job is that I currently have moved through to Glasgow as I have had some issues at home and had to move in with my girlfriend and I am currently having to get up at 4 o'clock so I can make work on time.

Enjoyable part of the job is working with the guys on the road and getting a laugh while getting work done on time.
Pros
Early finish when we complete all work required
Cons
Management arent always the best help.
Interesting work marred by weak and bullying management
Development Officer (Former Employee) –  Midlothian17 January 2018
My time as development officer in the community education service gave me access to great work opportunities in a small and friendly county. Work colleagues all striving hard to maintain a good service despite constant cuts. Management uninspiring at best, bullying at worst, all of which affects staff morale. Do not value, trust or respect their hard working staff who are much more professional than they are in every way. Please local councils..stop promoting staff to management roles just because they have been around for donkeys' years!
Pros
colleagues and clients
Cons
weak and bullying management
Brilliant
Assistant gardener (Former Employee) –  Midlothian dalkeith8 January 2018
Brilliant place to work where you feel challenged most of the time , j learn d a lot of new skills and the people I worked with were absolutely brilliant workers ,
Pros
Job satisfaction
Cons
Overtime
Supported staff environment
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh8 November 2017
Working in care with four levels of care from an independent client to
totally dependent clients. Shift work and lots of overtime, take residents out and encourage as normal life as possible.
great company
Care Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Dalkeith, Midlothian30 August 2017
good company to work for and all my colleagues were good to work with.worked on a rolling rota.which meant I worked four days on and four days off.split shifts.7-1pm then 4-10pm.great rate of pay and extra for being on stand by.mileage allowance paid by council.
Fun to work with
Trainee Stores Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scotland4 July 2017
Fun to work there and enjoyed my time with the other work colleagues whilst I was there, and enjoyed taking on the roll that I did and felt as though I was part of a team and that I was applying myself and would like to show my qualities and ability to do the jobs given to me.
Pros
The job was close proximity to where I live.
Great fun!
Communications and PR (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh30 June 2017
I only worked briefly at Midlothian Council, but greatly enjoyed my time there. The people were great, my manager was outstanding, and the work was both challenging and rewarding.
Fun Workplace
Carer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh28 June 2017
Doing my work experience here was quite enjoyable. I got to interact with not only the pupils but the teachers too. I enjoyed working her as I was always kept on my feet - which I personally like - and was never left to the side or excluded from a lesson by the teacher.
local government
Assistant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Midlothian4 June 2017
Enjoyed catering for functions and preparing buffets for local members of parliament.
Also covered seasonal duties ie Christmas lights ceremonies, galadays etc
Pros
different types of catering
Cons
Sometimes very quiet
Poor management
Contact Officer (Former Employee) –  Jarnac Court1 June 2017
Midlothian Council was historically a great place to learn and grow with different avenues and opportunities available but recent department reviews and new management structures have caused very low moral amongst staff with lack of support and compassion from managers.
Whilst I enjoyed all aspects of my job with Midlothian Council, the pressure of little support and the lack of staffing due poor management decisions to make to cuts across the board etc, it made the previously enjoyable role unbearable. Whilst I have no issue with working under pressure at times, I do not wish to be subjected to continual pressure to provide an excellent service that is simply now undeliverable due to lack of staff and management understanding and back up.
Pros
Flexi time
Cons
lack of support and compassion, not treated as an individual, lack of support
Boring and dull management
Digital Consultant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh10 February 2017
Afraid to make decisions and accept responsibility for any thing managers take for ever to decide then miss the opportunity
Pros
Nearby
Cons
no career advancement