Midlothian Council

Midlothian Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom43 reviews
I worked in the homecare team and the who,e time I was there I witnessed a serious problem of bullying and blame by one of the team supervisors with various members of staff. Although the senior managers know about it as at least 6 members of staff have complained they continually do nothing about it and expect people to work in this environment.
The turnover of staff in the department is very high due to this, morale is very low, lots of sickness and it is not a nice office to work in.

Lower grade staff are expected to find cover for the clients by continually harassing the carers on their days off to work. There is no other strategy in place to provide cover for clients and none of the managers seem to be able to plan ahead. When you complain about your workload and ask for help you are made to feel like you are not doing your job properly and are moaning.

In the last 3 years there have been 4 homecare managers and numerous new team supervisors and office staff.

All the good staff have left or want to leave and no-one seems to encourage them to stay.

There is no support or encouragement to advance into other roles and the supervisors have more say than any of the managers.

The only enjoyable part of the job was the interaction with the carers, who really did help me in my role. Also knowing that you have provided a service to a vulnerable or elderly client who really depends on care at home.
Cons
Bullying culture
I enjoyed my time working for Midlothian Council. I worked alongside a good group of individuals that made working at the leisure centre enjoyable. My shifts at times were very busy and faced paced but other times they were very relaxed and steady going.
working in the kitchen can get very busy at times and you must have food made by a certain time for the children to be able to have it on their breaks. i enjoy this kind of environment where it keeps you busy at all times.
Pros
happy team work
Cons
For the most part, very good job. Most fellow workers were patient and would allow for ones unfamiliarity with each new area. I learned many things that I did not know before.
Colleagues not very professional witnessed all sorts of wrong behavour from people going through customer drawers to stealing food from cupboards and Management is poor at this company
Pros
Finish early
Cons
Poor money and stressful
I was only seasonal with them,but you were treated no differently from the full time employees. You were not hard pushed,as long as the work you were given for that day was done everybody was happy. The only gripe I have is when there was any overtime,it was given to the full time guys over the seasonal ones.
Midlothian Council has restructured and reviewed its sections in the recent past in order to save money and it continues to review and restructure to save more money. In doing so the impact on the well being and moral of its staff has been profound. The opportunity for career progression is nil. The work is piled onto its `loyal' employees as there is not enough staff working there. It doesn't matter how hard you work the management are not grateful for anything. The attitude of management appears to be "as long as I'm ok and don't have to suffer then I don't care what happens to you." The result is back stabbing, frustration, anger at management, feelings of being bullied, apathy, lack of moral etc. The working conditions have become untenable and many highly experienced staff have got fed up and left to find employment elsewhere taking their skills, knowledge and experience with them.
Working for Midlothian Council my job requires me to work with computers and phones all day dealing with Waste Management and Housing Repairs. Within my role I must deliver a first class response to customer queries in an efficient, courteous manner; and to resolve the majority of queries at first point of contact by interrogating the relevant software applications, logging calls, entering data, and referring queries to service departments only where appropriate.
I am an enthusiastic and educated individual who will willingly deal with any challenge that comes in my direction. I am also an exceptional team player who is able to develop and achieve targets, but also able to work using my own initiative. Adaptable to all working environments with an ability to deal with people at all levels.

Midlothian Council is a great place to work, every day is different and challenging but good management make it a pleasure.
Pros
Flexi time
Cons
Extra Time
Good working environment and daily not too stressful but different issues on daily basis
Customers/client engagement, compliance with regulation and policy

I am not directly in management role but supervisory level, i have an insight in handling/resolving complaints and escalating if need be

, good pension pot, generous holidays
A typical day at work is exciting and enjoyable. The job is not changeling, the bosses are all lovely and easy to talk to if need be. The workplace is a happy and positive place to be and is chilled and can be busy at certain times of day.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Midlothian Council?
Positive environment, staff encouraged to develop more skills. Lots of opportunity for training and advancement. A great place to grown and develop your talent.
Good work ethic within the company and welcoming atmosphere. Understanding of other commitments such as studying, creating a steady work/study balance.
Great work life balance
No progression opportunity

Terrible Management

People are great to work with although some areas very closed groups and can't group on you if you rub them the wrong way but have no real pull.
Pros
Great Friends made
Cons
Lack of organisation
There isn’t a typical day really, every day is different. So many various people find themselves threatened with homelessness. Some simply want some housing advice. Good team to work with, very supportive of one another. Healthy work culture where we can talk about any problems we may have.
Good place to work, appreciating the employees, meeting a lot of people, employee benefits scheme, childcare vouchers scheme, paid mileage if work involves driving.
Midlothian council is a good place to work, I feel supported in my role as a teacher. The staff I work with are very good too, and highly supportive. I feel part of the team.
Easy going job. Not the best management. Money could definitely be better. Chances for some tickets if full time and good amount of annual leave. Average overall
Pros
Annual leave
Cons
No real chance of moving up
A typical day at work is answering customer enquiries, setting up payment arrangements for council tax. Completing and checking benefit claims. Assessing and processing benefit and Scottish welfare fund claims.
The management are very considerate and listen and try to be fair to all employees.

The workplace culture here is friendly with good team work, everyone mucks in and we are all helpful to one another.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with upset and angry customers and keeping them calm.

The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help people, sometimes in a real crisis situation, and it gives good job satisfaction
Pros
Flexi Time, Good terms and conditions
Cons
Old building in need of decoration
Great team working. Boosted my confidence. Learned new ways to deal with the public in new or difficult situations. Was always someone to help me out.
Pros
Being outdoors and active
Cons
Managment. Termination of contract without warning
Day to day in the job is a fast based working environment, all staff are welcome and friendly.

My hardest part of the job is that I currently have moved through to Glasgow as I have had some issues at home and had to move in with my girlfriend and I am currently having to get up at 4 o'clock so I can make work on time.

Enjoyable part of the job is working with the guys on the road and getting a laugh while getting work done on time.
Pros
Early finish when we complete all work required
Cons
Management arent always the best help.
My time as development officer in the community education service gave me access to great work opportunities in a small and friendly county. Work colleagues all striving hard to maintain a good service despite constant cuts. Management uninspiring at best, bullying at worst, all of which affects staff morale. Do not value, trust or respect their hard working staff who are much more professional than they are in every way. Please local councils..stop promoting staff to management roles just because they have been around for donkeys' years!
Pros
colleagues and clients
Cons
weak and bullying management