MidKent College Employee Reviews

Student
Full Time Education (Former Employee) –  Kent18 September 2018
Received good support and tutoring whilst a student at MidKent college studying sport. Facilities not the greatest but the staff made the whole experience worthwhile.
Poor management
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Medway Towns, Kent12 October 2017
It is a very stressful place to work and the lecturers always get the blame and are never praised.
Within your teams there is great support.
They employ too many high level contractors who do nothing to improve the college. They seem to be friends of the AP.
I was glad to leave.
Volunteer work
Lunchtime Club coordinator (Former Employee) –  Medway, Kent15 September 2017
As part of my college course I needed to do some voluntary work in a local primary school, it was rewarding work and the staff at both Midkent college and Burnt Oak primary school were very supportive and helpful.
A "storming" organisation
Head of Department (Current Employee) –  Gillingham26 June 2017
This organisation has been in "storming" mode for at least 3 years. The agenda has been regime change but it is still difficult to see if there has been any improvement. Morale is low as changes do not seem to have had any traction. Senior Leaders have also left and posts have been left vacant leaving an balance of workload for many departments. A real shame as there is vision here but a lack effective leadership to make positive change.
Pros
Staff work hard
Cons
Working hard is not enough
Challenging place to work but rewarding
Senior PDT (Current Employee) –  Gillingham, Kent9 May 2017
Be prepared to work hard against high expectations, but working with young people to make a difference to their lives is absolutely worth it. Every day is different but you learn so much and everyone is supportive.
A Good Place to Work
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Maidstone, Kent17 March 2017
I was only there briefly,due to the fact that the journey was too long and stressful. A lovely College to work at, staff so polite and friendly,lots of respect between staff and students.

A shame it is not located near enough for me,but the location is nice and explains why students are well behaved.
Pros
Lovely location, friendly staff
Strategic planning and timing
Lecturer Mathematics (Current Employee) –  Gillingham, Kent23 February 2017
The whole college year's activities calendar is always available early enough to allow individual departments to plan their events and implementation dates.
However, at departmental levels, it's not always possible to establish far enough, quantities of some of the resources that would be required for the year. This is felt hardest after the first half term of each year because a few students tend to change their mind about the course within the first half-term and this heavily impacts on the planning including timetable allocations.
Students' group profiling can also be an issue due to delays from some agencies (or schools) in sending up-to-date individual student learning needs and support.
Productive and interactive learning
waste management (Former Employee) –  Gillingham15 February 2017
In Midkent College I was able to have fun while I was learning my courses. This allowed me to stay on task and not get distracted from my learning. It also allowed me to work as a team more efficiently.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Lecturer in Mechanical Engineering (Former Employee) –  Gillingham5 December 2016
I really enjoyed my time working here, shame it was so far away or I would still be there. The staff are really good to work with and the Management actually listen and implement changes. They do tend to take on too many students and this does cause some problems but it is this just about manageable as a lecturer. I felt looked after and respected in this role and would recommend any one to work here.
Pros
Great staff and Good Mangement
Cons
Under funded
Amazing experience
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gillingham4 July 2016
The team at Midkent college is one big family. The work within the college is a great experience. The teachers and tutors are amazing. The work so hard to make sure we are happy.The security team are amazing they make sure all the students are safe and out of danger. I love studying at midkent college my tutors are amazing and are like my second family.
Pros
Free lunches
good learning environment
Student (Current Employee) –  Maidstone, ENG9 January 2016
its a very opening place, accepting to all types of people. the best part about my course is the practical side of it, working on the cars and getting hands on learning my way around it, how to fix it etc, also the fact have a variety of cars to work on and different designs such as front and rear wheel drive. the hardest part is remembering it all, theres a lot to take in but if you can remember it helps when it comes to the practical side.
Pros
discount card
E-learning Apprentice.
IT E-learning Apprenticeship (Former Employee) –  Gillingham2 October 2015
I deal with the day to day inquiries from tutors and students about programs and E-learning modules that I have been tasked to create for use in various class room settings.
Pros
Fun place, Different challenges everyday, exciting work, friendly colleagues.
Cons
Time consuming, Multiple same tasks.
A potentially rewarding place to work
Lecturer in English and Maths (Current Employee) –  Gillingham, Kent19 September 2015
A typical day is very hectic but definitely rewarding. There is a good deal of camaraderie between colleagues and the physical working conditions are very good.

The hardest part of a lecturer's job is perhaps the number of administrative tasks that have to be managed and completed alongside the responsibility of teaching.

The most enjoyable aspect of the job is the sense of reward one derives from seeing students develop and succeed.
Pros
Effective Line Managers
Cons
Administrative overload sometimes impacts on teaching.
A fun and refreshing experience
Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gillingham, ENG4 April 2015
I had a lot to do logging information, coming up with radio ads and much more. My colleagues put me at ease and were very friendly. The environment was relaxed and positive.
n/a
Apprentice Administrator (Former Employee) –  Gillingham, ENG29 June 2014
This was an apprenticeship but I would've liked to hav stayed longer as I enjoyed the role.
Beneficial
JobShop Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Gillingham14 March 2013
It is on a whole a nice place to work due to location and the education benefits. However, management can take apprentices as a way to pick up slack from other departments. Working within a cross campus team the communication struggled between management and co-workers as I feel the management forgot about cross campus workers. Over all I think the apprenticeship was well worth doing especially in a college environment. Most enjoyable part of the job would have to be seeing students expand and develop themselves in to professional working young people and knowing that they are comfortable and enjoying there roles was very rewarding.