MidKent College

MidKent College Employee Reviews

United Kingdom22 reviews
Great place to work with great people and a good start to get into teaching.

To gain qualifications to help build your teaching teaching career. Great place to be.
Bad for your mental health; a culture of systemic bullying that is hard to escape. No work life balance and no routes to complain.
It’s not about the students.
There is no typical day. I work with students, 16+ from all walks of life who access E&M support for a variety of reasons.
The hardest part of my job is being able to support all the students required.
Pros
The team
Cons
Term time only
I went here after choosing to leave school for a fresh start, I chose a course that was going to be good for me and help me in my career choice, the first few months we had a lack of staff so were in a group of up to 50 people at once which meant it was impossible to learn anything and this was the time we were preparing for our exams. It took until after the Christmas break to get this sorted and then we get put with a tutor who jokes about suicide and finds people dying funny. Personal circumstances of one of the girls changed after losing someone very close to her, and although she did decline the help at first when she did eventually decide that maybe she needed help the counselling service here did nothing even though she was at risk. Then the tutors started to blame her for her work because although she was getting passes they wanted her to get higher which is disgusting honestly. They targeted her and made her hate her time here, and she decided she would not continue this course next year. Other girls in my class were treated like China and were given everything they wanted because they said they were sad or having a hard time. The tutors here are biased and have favourites and dont care to hide it. The good tutors here are overworked and shunned by their colleagues for not only teaching but caring that their students are on track and ok but they are pushed out much so that they begin to hate their job. They claim to treat you like an adult but they give you no respect whatsoever and you are treated more like a primary school that an adult. Huge disappointment.
The college has overspent for some time but is now coming up against financial hardship, leading to cuts which will make everyone's lives harder.

It is run as a business rather than an educational insitiution.
Received good support and tutoring whilst a student at MidKent college studying sport. Facilities not the greatest but the staff made the whole experience worthwhile.
It is a very stressful place to work and the lecturers always get the blame and are never praised.
Within your teams there is great support.

They employ too many high level contractors who do nothing to improve the college. They seem to be friends of the AP.

I was glad to leave.
The college suffers from poor management of its HE provision. As a supply lecturer, there were no resources available for teaching from previous lecturers resulting in self-creation of resources - much home time necessary for this.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
No job security
As part of my college course I needed to do some voluntary work in a local primary school, it was rewarding work and the staff at both Midkent college and Burnt Oak primary school were very supportive and helpful.
This organisation has been in "storming" mode for at least 3 years. The agenda has been regime change but it is still difficult to see if there has been any improvement. Morale is low as changes do not seem to have had any traction. Senior Leaders have also left and posts have been left vacant leaving an balance of workload for many departments. A real shame as there is vision here but a lack effective leadership to make positive change.
Pros
Staff work hard
Cons
Working hard is not enough
Be prepared to work hard against high expectations, but working with young people to make a difference to their lives is absolutely worth it. Every day is different but you learn so much and everyone is supportive.
I was only there briefly,due to the fact that the journey was too long and stressful. A lovely College to work at, staff so polite and friendly,lots of respect between staff and students.

A shame it is not located near enough for me,but the location is nice and explains why students are well behaved.
Pros
Lovely location, friendly staff
Cons
The whole college year's activities calendar is always available early enough to allow individual departments to plan their events and implementation dates.
However, at departmental levels, it's not always possible to establish far enough, quantities of some of the resources that would be required for the year. This is felt hardest after the first half term of each year because a few students tend to change their mind about the course within the first half-term and this heavily impacts on the planning including timetable allocations.

Students' group profiling can also be an issue due to delays from some agencies (or schools) in sending up-to-date individual student learning needs and support.
In Midkent College I was able to have fun while I was learning my courses. This allowed me to stay on task and not get distracted from my learning. It also allowed me to work as a team more efficiently.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
I really enjoyed my time working here, shame it was so far away or I would still be there. The staff are really good to work with and the Management actually listen and implement changes. They do tend to take on too many students and this does cause some problems but it is this just about manageable as a lecturer. I felt looked after and respected in this role and would recommend any one to work here.
Pros
Great staff and Good Mangement
Cons
Under funded
The team at Midkent college is one big family. The work within the college is a great experience. The teachers and tutors are amazing. The work so hard to make sure we are happy.The security team are amazing they make sure all the students are safe and out of danger. I love studying at midkent college my tutors are amazing and are like my second family.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
its a very opening place, accepting to all types of people. the best part about my course is the practical side of it, working on the cars and getting hands on learning my way around it, how to fix it etc, also the fact have a variety of cars to work on and different designs such as front and rear wheel drive. the hardest part is remembering it all, theres a lot to take in but if you can remember it helps when it comes to the practical side.
Pros
discount card
Cons
I deal with the day to day inquiries from tutors and students about programs and E-learning modules that I have been tasked to create for use in various class room settings.
Pros
Fun place, Different challenges everyday, exciting work, friendly colleagues.
Cons
Time consuming, Multiple same tasks.
A typical day is very hectic but definitely rewarding. There is a good deal of camaraderie between colleagues and the physical working conditions are very good.

The hardest part of a lecturer's job is perhaps the number of administrative tasks that have to be managed and completed alongside the responsibility of teaching.

The most enjoyable aspect of the job is the sense of reward one derives from seeing students develop and succeed.
Pros
Effective Line Managers
Cons
Administrative overload sometimes impacts on teaching.
I had a lot to do logging information, coming up with radio ads and much more. My colleagues put me at ease and were very friendly. The environment was relaxed and positive.
This was an apprenticeship but I would've liked to hav stayed longer as I enjoyed the role.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at MidKent College. Our community is ready to answer.
MidKent College Reviews by Location