Midcounties Co-operative Employee Reviews

Good job, terrible management
Funeral assistant (Former Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire22 January 2019
Job is rewarding and lots of different things to do. It's just a shame the management and certain people there ruin it. If your face fits you will eventually progress some what. If not, you will go nowhere. Favouritism and bullying is very common working here. So be prepared to bite your tongue and take a lot of people talking down to you. Moral can be very low at times.
Pros
Rewarding, lot's to do
Cons
Bullying, favouritism, management, low moral.
Good company to work for
CSA (Current Employee) –  Gloucestershire14 December 2018
Ive been working for Coop Midcounties for over a year now. I had a rocky start getting to know everybody. my typical day would be, starting at 6:30am and getting the papers in. I would then be on till for some of my shift and do sandwiches when they get delivered and then when another CSA comes in they normally take me off so I could do a bit of warehouse. At my store the management is great. the hardest part of the job for me is trying to multitask.
the enjoyable part of the job is you have a laugh with most of your coworkers and sometimes a bit of banter with management.
Pros
Good Holiday Scheme. Good Pay
Cons
Long Hours.
Great Company to work for
Senior HR Advisor (Former Employee) –  Warwick, Warwickshire5 December 2018
I worked for this company for 5 years and they gave me so much experience it is a great company to work for and would recommend them as a company to work for to everyone!!!!
Great management and always happy to help whether it's with your workload or powers of persuasion with management
Always listen to what you have to say at all management levels
Great atmosphere and great team work
Pros
Great atmosphere and team work
Great place, great people
HR Advisor - Projects (Current Employee) –  Warwickshire7 December 2018
I have been working as a HR Advisor on a transformation project for the Mid-counties Coop for the past 4 months. From day one the HR team made me feel really welcome and so far I am loving my role. The HR Management team are very supportive and take a genuine interest in how things are going and are there to offer support and guidance which has been great. The wider HR team are always ready to offer any help and you will never be on your own for lunch. The ethos of the Mid-counties Coop is very customer centric and I enjoy working for a company that cares not just about its colleagues (which it does) but the wider community also. I would encourage anyone to apply for a role at the Mid-counites Coop.
Pros
A very friendly working environment
Cons
The traffic but its to be expected in Warwick at this time of year
Good for part time, rubish after finishing school
CSA (Current Employee) –  Gloucestershire20 November 2018
Enjoyed the job when I was at school, since leaving I was promised a bigger contract and 3 months later I have the same contracted hours but I’ve lost one of my contracted shifts and so it could be any day of the week. We’re always understaffed yet the overtime I need is always in chunks so I can work 6 days on one week then the rest of the month only have 3 shifts. I can plan ahead or have any short of a schedule due to being forced on to what feels like a zero hours contract. And even though profits for MCC is increasing they’re trying to reduce pay and benefits all the time and it’s taking a toll on lots of the employees, you can chat to anyone about how much of a sham it is.
Pros
Good as a part time job at school
Cons
Management lies, pay seems to get less, unappreciated, rubbish unsociable hours always
Demanding with no incentive
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gloucestershire28 September 2018
You were expected to work overtime and short notice with little thanks for doing so. The store managers knew what they were doing but management at a district/higher level had very little e.g.Cutting staff budgets to a minimum. If you work 6 or more hours you automatically get deducted half an hour's pay for a break that quite often you do not get to take as staffing levels are so low you don't get a chance too.
Pros
Friendly staff, reasonable pay
Cons
Low staffing, higher management are useless, little Thanks for hardwork
Working for the Co-Op
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire13 September 2018
As a convenience store the downside is that we open 7-10, seven days a week with early shifts starting at 6am and late shifts finishing at 10pm. The job can be hard work with 8 hour shifts on your feet all day which involves putting out heavy stock and dragging heavy stock cages.
The management say they listen to your concerns but in reality you are there to work for them and do their work.
The store I work in has some good work colleagues and we do work as a team.
Pros
Yearly bonus scheme
Cons
Weekend working and late night shifts
Great company
Business Development Executive (Former Employee) –  Walsall, West Midlands11 December 2018
I only left due to relocating down to the south coast, to begin a career in a new location. I worked for different sectors in Midcounties, ranging from a Travel advisor, to a billing and collections advisor for the energy side. Moving onto Business Development for the homeworking travel agents.
Great Team to work in
HR Advisor (Former Employee) –  Warwick, Warwickshire4 December 2018
MCC was a great investor in development of people if you were willing to invest the time yourself. The HR team are friendly and always willing to help each other out. I'm still friends with several of the now. I only moved on to get a more senior role.

Overall I would recommend them as a place to work.
Rubbish.
Team leader (Current Employee) –  Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire4 September 2018
Working here at first was good, exciting and every day was different. 3 years down the line it's boring as anything. The staff are so unreliable and get no consequences if they've not turned up to shift or are 30 mins+ late. As a supervisor you are expected to stay if someone doesn't turn up which turns into working 10-14 hour shifts with no thanks.
Pros
some nice staff
Cons
expect the world of you, rubbish pay.
avoid avoid avoid
Manager (Current Employee) –  warwick18 December 2018
not cooperative very corrupt it who you know and you will get on. uneducated untalented people in senior roles for the most - just mates looking after each other.
Pros
working with non-management staff
Cons
one person does role of 2-3 people, do all the work for exec who get the benefit
Working at MCC
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Leamington Spa22 October 2018
A refreshing culture with no shareholders to answer appease. Benefits include discount on products bought from Midcounties and some other coops. Salary package overall is fair.
Pros
Culture. Relaxed environment.
Cons
MCC are prone to sudden reorganisation. This casts a shadow on job security.
Friendly and Interesting
Grove, Oxfordshire - Customer Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxfordshire4 October 2018
All in all my time at midcounties was a good one. I worked with amazing staff member and even during a period of change the store remained organised, this was my first job and i would recommend it to anyone looking for a part time job
Pros
Staff, Pay
Cons
Early hours
Don’t work there
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Midlands16 July 2018
It’s absolutely awful. I can’t even put it into words quite how bad it is but I wouldn’t advise anyone to work for Midcounties Cooperative. With the new Kronos system coming in, we now have to book days off as annual leave even if we have the 6 other days to work that week. There is no flexibility and I would tell anyone to look elsewhere for work.
Pros
Only pro is the equal pay amongst ages - no differences for the under 25s
Cons
Long hours, ridiculous new system, not flexible, bad management
Great First Job or Part Time Job!
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, Shropshire22 June 2018
Job required putting out stock and helping customers out whilst maintaining a clean safe work environment.
A typical day would include putting stock out in the morning, thoroughly checking dates of fresh and produce products, helping out customers, 'facing' and tidying the shop in the afternoon as well as locking up.
A lot of team working skills and time management is learnt to make sure all jobs are completed before the shop shuts.
The workplace is very friendly as the Co-Operative requires high levels of customer service so staff tend to be nice.
Pros
Taught alot of valuable skills whilst dealing with customers.
Cons
Not much chance of progression within the company.
Terrible place to work
Hr advisor (Former Employee) –  Warwick, Warwickshire20 November 2018
Bullying culture
I worked in HR and was shocked by the way people are treated and rewarded
It’s who you know not what you not
The company do not treat employees fairly
Pros
Good canteen
Cons
No job security
Working in Co-Op
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bicester20 September 2018
The job can be fun sometimes but sometimes it can be hard due to how busy it can be. Due to the one of the only shops that are open after 5pm on a Sunday it can be very busy and stressful.
Pros
Good Team Players
Cons
Promotions
Fun and Enjoyable
Pharmacy Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bloxwich West5 November 2018
A typical day involves aiding customers and stocking the shop floor; as well as aiding the pharmacist in filing prescriptions. The management is very friendly and accomodating.
Happy workplace.
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leamington Spa4 June 2018
I'd always get a cup of coffee before my long shift and I think it's the reason I'm probably addicted now. I've taken a lot away from the Co-op and I've learnt plenty of life lessons throughout my 5 years. It can be stressful, but that's all part of the job, you learn to deal with it and find a solution. I met some great people whilst I've been at the Co-op and I'm sure I'll miss them.
Pros
Good breaks.
Cons
Repetitive.
good company to work for
Post Office Manager (Former Employee) –  bellgate5 November 2018
i have learned lots working for this company.i enjoyed customer services ,the hardest part is you never know whats happening from one day to other.its lovely to help

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Midcounties Co-operative. Our community is ready to answer.