Midcounties Co-operative Employee Reviews

Fun and Enjoyable
Pharmacy Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bloxwich West5 November 2018
A typical day involves aiding customers and stocking the shop floor; as well as aiding the pharmacist in filing prescriptions. The management is very friendly and accomodating.
kind
Paper Boy (Former Employee) –  Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire24 October 2018
were always kind to staff and helped others get the job done
hours can be long but are not too hard going. managers are lenient and time can easily be booked off
work places
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton, West Midlands23 October 2018
I would work on checkouts, stack the shelf's it was my first job when I left school.

the work colleague was helpful and understanding when you had a problem
Working at MCC
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Leamington Spa22 October 2018
A refreshing culture with no shareholders to answer appease. Benefits include discount on products bought from Midcounties and some other coops. Salary package overall is fair.
Pros
Culture. Relaxed environment.
Cons
MCC are prone to sudden reorganisation. This casts a shadow on job security.
it was fun
sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Summertown, Oxfordshire16 October 2018
The people you work with where fun and friendly. I work on the tills and stacking shelves.The training you did was interactive and fun. I also love talking to the customers.
Pros
great benefits.
Cons
N\a
good experience
consultant then Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands11 October 2018
good team to work with, great colleague benefits and passionate management/ head office.
was looked after and had great training when I became a supervisor
Friendly and Interesting
Grove, Oxfordshire - Customer Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxfordshire4 October 2018
All in all my time at midcounties was a good one. I worked with amazing staff member and even during a period of change the store remained organised, this was my first job and i would recommend it to anyone looking for a part time job
Pros
Staff, Pay
Cons
Early hours
Demanding with no incentive
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gloucestershire28 September 2018
You were expected to work overtime and short notice with little thanks for doing so. The store managers knew what they were doing but management at a district/higher level had very little e.g.Cutting staff budgets to a minimum. If you work 6 or more hours you automatically get deducted half an hour's pay for a break that quite often you do not get to take as staffing levels are so low you don't get a chance too.
Pros
Friendly staff, reasonable pay
Cons
Low staffing, higher management are useless, little Thanks for hardwork
Working in Co-Op
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bicester20 September 2018
The job can be fun sometimes but sometimes it can be hard due to how busy it can be. Due to the one of the only shops that are open after 5pm on a Sunday it can be very busy and stressful.
Pros
Good Team Players
Cons
Promotions
Working for the Co-Op
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire13 September 2018
As a convenience store the downside is that we open 7-10, seven days a week with early shifts starting at 6am and late shifts finishing at 10pm. The job can be hard work with 8 hour shifts on your feet all day which involves putting out heavy stock and dragging heavy stock cages.
The management say they listen to your concerns but in reality you are there to work for them and do their work.
The store I work in has some good work colleagues and we do work as a team.
Pros
Yearly bonus scheme
Cons
Weekend working and late night shifts
Rubbish.
Team leader (Current Employee) –  Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire4 September 2018
Working here at first was good, exciting and every day was different. 3 years down the line it's boring as anything. The staff are so unreliable and get no consequences if they've not turned up to shift or are 30 mins+ late. As a supervisor you are expected to stay if someone doesn't turn up which turns into working 10-14 hour shifts with no thanks.
Pros
some nice staff
Cons
expect the world of you, rubbish pay.
Don’t work there
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Midlands16 July 2018
It’s absolutely awful. I can’t even put it into words quite how bad it is but I wouldn’t advise anyone to work for Midcounties Cooperative. With the new Kronos system coming in, we now have to book days off as annual leave even if we have the 6 other days to work that week. There is no flexibility and I would tell anyone to look elsewhere for work.
Pros
Only pro is the equal pay amongst ages - no differences for the under 25s
Cons
Long hours, ridiculous new system, not flexible, bad management
Ok place to work
Advisor (Former Employee) –  Warwick, Warwickshire3 July 2018
Midcounties is a true Co-op, people always look at the co-op values before doing anything. Pay can be an issue, so need to keep an eye on what new starters receive.
friendly workplace
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  gloucester30 June 2018
I loved working for the co-op it gave me a sense of community. A lot of customers that came in were regular so it was easy to build a rapport with them.
In a typical day i would clean the store and set the scales on the till prior to opening, I would then mostly be on the tills as a cashier and restocking shelves. Twice a day I would do markdowns/reductions on the items which were due to be out of date the next day and further reduce items with the date for that day.
I learned about how to prioritise jobs, and about the legality of selling specific, age-related items. It was very important to manage time efficiently.
The hardest part of the job was dealing with difficult or rude customers but I very quickly learned that the best way to deal with them is to remain calm and not take their words to heart as they take out their frustration on you.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being part of a team and working with people that you get on with, as well as seeing the regular customers and being able to help them with their shopping or paying bills or other services we offered.
Pros
flexibility with breaks
Great First Job or Part Time Job!
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, Shropshire22 June 2018
Job required putting out stock and helping customers out whilst maintaining a clean safe work environment.
A typical day would include putting stock out in the morning, thoroughly checking dates of fresh and produce products, helping out customers, 'facing' and tidying the shop in the afternoon as well as locking up.
A lot of team working skills and time management is learnt to make sure all jobs are completed before the shop shuts.
The workplace is very friendly as the Co-Operative requires high levels of customer service so staff tend to be nice.
Pros
Taught alot of valuable skills whilst dealing with customers.
Cons
Not much chance of progression within the company.
Interesting and a fun environment to be in
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  Walsall, West Midlands11 June 2018
I currently did 1 week at Midcounties Co-op HQ in Walsall. It was overall a good experience and I learnt a lot. From looking through cheques to see if they were correct to ticking off suppliers. It was a good place to be in and the atmosphere was calm even on the busier days
Happy workplace.
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leamington Spa4 June 2018
I'd always get a cup of coffee before my long shift and I think it's the reason I'm probably addicted now. I've taken a lot away from the Co-op and I've learnt plenty of life lessons throughout my 5 years. It can be stressful, but that's all part of the job, you learn to deal with it and find a solution. I met some great people whilst I've been at the Co-op and I'm sure I'll miss them.
Pros
Good breaks.
Cons
Repetitive.
Productive, informative
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Highworth17 May 2018
In the Co-op a typical working day entails customer service to the highest possible standard. Politeness, manners and co-operation is most important and expected from team leaders and managers. I have built relationships with co workers and managers which has really taught me the value of team work, and applying maximum effort into tasks. The hardest part of this job would be dealing with difficult and challenging situations with customers, I have really developed my communication skills because of this job. The most enjoyable part of being a CSA is working with such a tight group of peers, who are fun, intelligent and have helped me become a member of the co-op community.
Customers always come before staff
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire11 April 2018
After working hard for many years you are stabbed in the back and are given a disciplinary when you can't reach unrealistic targets.
There is an industry wide recession but that isn't taken into account.
You give your all physically and emotionally but it's just not enough.
For the responsibility and expectation the pay is atrocious. Out of date systems and inadequate support are ignored. For a company that advertises a DOES value for customers it completely disregards the job satisfaction and well being of it's hardworking and loyal staff.
I could get paid more stacking supermarket shelves without the constant harassment of management. I have come to the conclusion for my own sanity I will have to look elsewhere for employment.
Pros
Small discount on food, holidays and funeral services
Cons
Very low pay, unrealistic targets, complete lack of empathy
friendly enviroment
Team leader (Former Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire6 April 2018
This company has a friendly enviroment.
i progressed as far as a team manager but then was unable to move further due minimal opportunity within the district.
Hardest part of the job was the hours as they were constantly changing even at the last minute.
The most enjoyable part of my job was the people i worked with.
Pros
friends
Cons
silly hours, constant late shifts, low salary, constant high expection past what your job role is.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Midcounties Co-operative. Our community is ready to answer.