Mick George Employee Reviews

Easy work well paid
HGV Driver (Current Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire9 February 2019
One of the easiest jobs I’ve had and good vehicles. Well paid £32k. Don’t agree with some of the reviews. If you want to keep your boots clean then you should’ve been a bus driver (but you’ll get paid a lot less)
Fair company to work for
Skip Driver (Current Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire8 February 2019
Hours are okay - many complain they are too long, but then again they would complain if they were any shorter. Not having to work as many weekends as I used to. Pay is good. Have noticed improvements in H&S and management over the last year
The worst place to work
HGV Driver (Current Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire7 February 2019
The worst place to work ,long hours, holiday if you want they not gonna give you, 5 days of holiday it's for cristhmas, you have to wash your truck the chassis and underneath for service evry 4 weeks, car park full of mud like in a quarry, office treat you like... , no family life, pay rate 10£, avoid if you can't.....it's a trap
Pros
Cons
Very long hours
You get what you put in
Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire6 February 2019
I have only been with the company a short time but already I have seen so many promotions/ pay rises for people who put in the effort and go the extra mile.

I have a good team who support me in new tasks within my role and push me too reach my potential,

From the moment I got the call to say that I had been offered an interview I was made too feel at ease and after the site tour, I knew this was the place I wanted too work.

Management seem very hands on and are around on site most days. After meeting them once they all seem very approachable and will help when needed.
Pros
Family run, Supportive, Progression
Cons
Holiday
Endless Opportunities
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire5 February 2019
Mick George work you hard but in return you gain a career in a company with countless opportunities. My role has developed continuously over the past few years and I've received constant mentoring and support from managers including Mick himself.
The environment can be high pressure but the rewards are endless. This is not a company for people with a 'feet up' attitude.
Communication can be improved in some areas.
Pros
Progression; Salary
Cons
Communication
Rubbish
HGV Driver (Former Employee) –  Peterborough19 January 2019
These people treat staff like rubbish and don't care about the staff wants or even needs. Avoid at all costs. They prey on the desperate and use them for everything they have
Awful place to work!
SKIP DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Mountsorrel, Leicestershire12 January 2019
Worst place I have ever worked! Avoid if you want a life and family! They will take your soul chew it up and spit it back out at you to make you feel worthless. Told you can't finish an hour early to go to the doctor. Impossible to book annual leave. Micro management and bullies. Constantly bothered all day by the office. They know you are driving but still ring you and have a go at you if you don't answer. You will never win with these clowns. You are just a number!

AVOID AVOID AVOID!!!!!!!!!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
Pros
Cons
Everything i have said below and much much more! Dreadful!
Terrible
Driver (Former Employee) –  Dogsthorpe3 January 2019
Worked here for a short time. Was pressured to work all around the clock. Going out of my driving hours and being forced to drive around in dodgy trucks. When reporting the issues I was given no explanation to have it fixed and told to carry on.
Stay away from them
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Wellingborough, Northamptonshire11 September 2018
I was told i am allowed only one 30 minutes break a day, because i start at 8 00 and finish at 16 00, but at 16 00 i was told to stay till finish things to do ( at least 1 hour more). I have told them bye and see tomorrow, but tomorrow never come.
Love it!
Skip Driver (Current Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire5 August 2018
As a Skip Driver you go all over the area, not just localised to your depot. You meet many lovely customers/contractors on your daily shift. When you get to site/address, its a challenge, which I love, and the skill to position your truck to drop or pickup a skip is a good test of your ability. All the doom and gloom posted here on this site isn't a fair representation of many drivers who love working for Mick George, which is growing rapidly and is well recognised in the building trade as a key player for the products and services they need. Mick George is undergoing replenishment of their vehicle stock, so, as time goes on, the older vehicles will be retired. I can only talk about my personal experience with the company and am full of praise for the founder and organisation.
To sum up; there can be long hours and frustration with the traffic office and the 'marmite effect', whether you love/tolerate or hate it, but the scope to drive so many different vehicles and widen your skill level is down to you. So, don't be put off because you may actually love working at Mick George.
Pros
Challenging to promote your skills with a rapidly growing company and decent pay for your efforts, .
Cons
the harmonising of office, coordinators and drivers is the area which needs improving, but as new technology and practices come into play this will improve.
unhappy environment
L.G.V 2 Skip Driver (Former Employee) –  Rushden16 June 2018
Job was ok but management needs to be updated within the modern world.
salary was good but hard to get requested holiday.
company pushes to the max hours.
Pros
fair money
Cons
forced to work to max, Hard to get requested holiday
Don't bother
Transport Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Huntingdon12 June 2018
Long hours, no lunch break really as you're glued to your desk, rules change at the snap of the management's fingers, ridiculed if you ring in sick. No career progression and too many idiots that somehow keep their jobs
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Long hours, no break, constantly stabbed in the back
Supervisor
Demolition Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Demolition28 May 2018
You do not want to work for this company!! They haven’t got a clue when it comes to demolition. Crash and bash everything and then pick it out of the rubble.Dangerous!!
Full of hope and promises,lots of back stabbing and slagging off. You will find your wages being messed around with and your expected too work long hours. Get ready for before and leave off work in your time not theirs,so expect to leave site after 17.00.
Expect everything for nothing.Worst company Ive work for!!
If the management don’t like something about you then they will make life difficult for you and push too make you leave.
You can expect them to blame their mistakes on you!
Expect to be spyed on “yes seriously “
No morning break!
Pros
Pensions and healthcare
Very poor
Weighbridge Operator (Former Employee) –  Mepal, Cambridgeshire9 May 2018
Very poor, 6-6 everyday with no breaks, lied at the interview, they employ anyone, huge turnaround of staff.
The road to the quarry was terrible, would easily damage your car.
Pros
Non
Cons
Long hours and no breaks
BASIC COMPLIANCE ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire30 April 2018
Getting along with my colleagues was the most difficult part of this job. The environment was often contentious. Aside from this, it was a great job that was never dull, there was always something to do! Was very sad to leave to go back to Uni.
Stay well away
Tipper driver (Former Employee) –  Rushden, Northamptonshire13 March 2018
If you want to be treated like dirt this is the job for you all above reviews are very true most drivers last 2 weeks also no pay for 2 months but you can ask for a sub. I had half day induction then you are given ur uniform and the dreaded company phone , you then go to ur site and start training if ur lucky you get 3 days then out on ur own. You don’t get ur own vehicle for a good few months so you drive all sorts , all are different every day, all they care about is getting the jobs done and not the staff , not a very friendly company at all no one speaks to you and you are expected to know it all after ur training . At the interview which is a joke they don’t tell you that you have to work a month in arrears and then get paid a month later . You have to work every other sat and start times are 0600 to 0630 and finish is anything from 1600 onwards. So be warned you have to pay for ur uniform when you leave
Pros
Cons
Everything about the company from training what a joke, transport office have no clue, poor money for being on the go 12 hrs every day, if you pull over to grab a coffee transport on the phone straight away asking why you are stopping
Current employee
HGV 2 Driver (Former Employee) –  Ringstead, Northamptonshire4 March 2018
Horrible place to work everybody constantly looking for other jobs unfortunately there are not many around that pay as well, planners if you can call them that are bloody useless good job it's not there money they are wasting.
Pros
Money
Cons
Horrible place
Poor
Driver (Former Employee) –  Mountsorrel, Leicestershire11 February 2018
Check your wages every month they will find a way of taking something off you and you will be required to work your maximum hours if you work a Saturday don’t assume you will be off the next and don’t book any holiday you won’t get it
Pros
Cons
Don’t bother plenty of work around without these clowns 🤡
Mick george
Tipper driver (Former Employee) –  Raunds10 January 2018
Nothing good to say about this company so best not say anything would not put anyone off from working there just not a good company for me no life work balance just work .
Good money
Demolition Labourer (Current Employee) –  Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire27 November 2017
It's a nice company to work for, a nice company van and fuel card. Long hours but revive good money for the hours you Do, monthly pay, revive all PPE for the job

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mick George. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6