MHA Employee Reviews

Lovely environment to work in.
Care and Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Hampshire20 July 2018
Thoroughly enjoy my role as a care & support worker for MHA. I’ve found management professional and fair yet very friendly and approachable.
There’s a great atmosphere and it’s good that I can be flexible and spend time with the residents rather than feeling rushed and pressured.

My role includes personal care, administering medication, domestic duties such as light cleaning and assisting residents where required. More importantly for me is that care is person centred, a core value for MHA.

I would recommend MHA as a place to work and I actually have done to friends.
As with any job, you get out what you put in, but working for MHA I find their work ethic and values makes for a rewarding experience.
Pros
Flexibility, free uniform, DBS check and training (further training available) Staff discount and loyalty schemes.
Awful management team
Carer (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire2 July 2018
Wonderful place to work with amazing residents. Great team of carers but horrendous management. No idea how to treat their hard working staff. No appreciation or respect. Care for themselves only. Work totally separate from their carers. They need to undergo some vital training themselves!!!
Pros
Good wage and training opportunities
Cons
Management team useless
17 July 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. If you’d like to provide further details please email laura.bell@mha.org.uk or call 01332 221871 for a confidential chat with our HR Team.

Poor work place, needs stability.
Volunteer Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Leicester.1 July 2018
Job was very rocky. 15 managers in 8 years. Did not have the right equipment to do the job. They said I had to be flexible for my job and restricted me to 9-2 hours. Management and seniors were in a click. Some staff were bullies and the list goes on . I feel for the residents and feel sorry for the staff left behind, who work long hours and sometimes don't get their breaks. The place does not feel like a home anymore, its a business .Other members of staff after long service ended up leaving because of the Bradford factor. The list goes on.
The positives were that the residents were lovely, the volunteers and families were great and the activities program and fund raising were outstanding.
I had help from Head office but not Home Manager.

My experience was a roller coaster ride.
Pros
projects that made families and residents happy.
Cons
Clickiness and Negetivity.
17 July 2018

One of the hardest experiences of my life
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  South West1 July 2018
Although I met some amazing staff and residents, the manager puts everything onto the seniors (I have witnessed this first hand) to breaking point. MHA are losing some wonderful staff who just could not cope with the pressure. Over the years, I have seen so many wonderful staff come and go and MHA just don't seem to recognise this. Blame is the biggest concern and and a total lack of support.
Pros
None really. Hoursly rate is ok, but no reflection on the workload.
Cons
No sick pay. Lack of management support. Culture of blame.

I adore where I work!!
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hathersage, Derbyshire26 June 2018
I have been and currently work for MHA for 4 years now and I absolutely love it! I love the staff I work with and the residents are brill, we are like one big family. Our manager hasn't been with us long but the improvements she has made to our home have been amazing. I am now happy to come into work. Only con I will say is in the last 2 years we have had a lot of our benefits cut such as sick pay, paid breaks. I think head office could do with going over this again as I know a lot of people feel the same. Other than that, I think it is a great organisation to work for. I always feel supported and if I have any problems or difficulties, our manager is always there the listen and help. Our home has also recently changed from nursing to just residential and I think the seniors are all doing an outstanding job!! Again, they are always there to help and advises and they work professionally considering how much they have to do. I understand that some people don't always feel appreciated when working in care however, you are all doing a brilliant job!!
Pros
Excellent rate of pay, paid holidays, amazing staff
Cons
No paid breaks, no sick pay

Comment – 28 June 2018

Thanks for sharing such a positive example of how MHA is living its Values.

Was a brilliant place to work and staff and residents was lovely
Domestic cleaner (Former Employee) –  Tranquility court crossgates21 June 2018
I left under mix up with carers but now I'm able and would love to return to job I lovedmanagement was friendly I knew what my role was and asked manager if I was unsure of anything I learned a lot from mha the work was very good and no hard work was asked of me
Pros
Good working hours
Cons
Ideal 2 hours daily

Comment – 28 June 2018

Thank you for your message. We really appreciate your feedback.

Disgusting to say it is a charity
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire12 June 2018
I worked within head office and I can truly say it was the worst experience of my life.

Unless you are part of the click you will be undervalued, under appreciated and quiet honestly bullied.

The way in which you are spoke to and treated is appaulling.

Rules are only for certain employees even of the same level.

If they treat their own staff like this imagine what they're treating your loved ones like.

AVOID AVOID AVOID
Pros
nothing

Terrible
Carer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hathersage, Derbyshire31 May 2018
Worked at MHA Hathersage for six months. All complaints were ignored. Management turn a blind eye to things and seniors are useless. All management is worried about is staying in her budget and stuff anything else. Then to solve the problems hire friends and ex work colleges.
Pros
Residents are lovely
Cons
In house politics

Comment – 28 June 2018

My first impression not good
Senior care assistant ( days) (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol29 May 2018
Was taken on a a Senior care assistant, my first day of working, I was assigned a buddy for my two weeks shadowing, on my first day I was shown very little on what the Senior carer role was, I was often left on my own, my second day was no better, was told as they were short staffed that I would be needed to work as a care assistant, which I had no problem with, but again was left on my own, had very little support from management or the senior member of staff, who should have been shadowing me, I stuck the job for two days and to be honest that was enough, I have never worked in such a disorganised place
Cons
Long hours, working 12 hours, shifts and only getting paid 11 hours

Awful
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hertfordshire22 May 2018
I met lovely staff and loved the residents but I had two days training before being put on the floor to work. I didn’t know the residents, their needs are what I was doing. I’d never done care work before. Hours are ridiculous, you are exhausted 12 hour shifts are too long. By 5 you are so mentally and physically exhausted. Always shorted staffed, nothing is ever right whatever you do. I was completely miserable there.
Pros
Lovely residents and co workers.
Cons
Management have no clue what it’s like day to day.
28 June 2018

Excellent place to work
Care and Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Portishead, Somerset17 May 2018
Wonderful residents and friendly staff. This is a great place to work. Typical day involves helping residents to wash and dress, administering medication, checking how they're feeling and some basic cleaning. I would highly recommend this place to work, manager and staff friendly and helpful.
Pros
Lovely residents
Cons
Shift work
21 May 2018

Thanks for sharing such a positive example of how colleagues are living MHA’s Values.

Experience excellent .. at hatherlow house
Mha support worker (Current Employee) –  Southport, Merseyside10 May 2018
Love hatherlow house . Very trendy place .staff are amazing and senior staff are happy and full of laughter. the home manager is a lovely person and helpful and postitive, the office staff are very good and very efficient, the house keeper is excellent , Relaxed and happy people living in there beautiful apartments , it's spot on for the residents that live here they live a normal life with the help of mha. Onwards and upwards i say . The Bestro is excellent . If anything the activity side maybe needs a small improvement but the residents that live here are happy and do there own thing family life is important so lots of family life coming and going . Wellbeing is important and thats what the staff do very well Need i say any more . Just lovely .
Pros
Easy to get to town and everthing anyone needs to live a happy life there
Cons
more staff needed now its full
21 May 2018

Thanks for the feedback. This is a great example of how our colleagues live MHA’s Values and deliver our Mission to improve the quality of life for older people, inspired by Christian concern.

unethical practices & behaviour the norm
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire3 May 2018
Dirty & underhand tactics used to bully, manipulate and use staff. Treated like rubbish by management- they grind you down and make you ill then when you have time off sick use their stupid sickness policy to get rid of you.
MHA advertise, boast and are proud of their values yet no one in management actually adhere or follow them. All smoke and mirrors to cover the horrible truth.
Pros
lovely team of carers
Cons
horrible manager
21 May 2018

•We’re sorry to hear that your recent experience at work has not reflected MHA’s Values. We’d like to talk to you more about this, please email laura.bell@mha.org.uk or call 01332 221871 for a confidential chat with our HR Team.

The right company to work for
Manager (Current Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire13 April 2018
Good company values. Excellent support and training opportunities available for all staff. Friendly staff who are extremely supportive of each other.
Pros
Good support
20 April 2018

Thank you for your message. We really appreciate your feedback.

staff are horrible
Administration Manager (Former Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire6 April 2018
Treated like rubbish by management, awful environment to work in, expected to do 3 peoples jobs, not enough time to do all the work in. always end up working late and missing breaks to get the work done, priority is always given to how the home looks rather than the care given.
Pros
Cons
poor wages, long hours and no acknowledgement from manager

Do not work here
Domestic Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire5 April 2018
domestic staff are treated appallingly, manager has favourites and if your not one of them your life is made difficult.
Staff are always being called in the office for no reason - management style is carrot and stick without the carrot!
Pros
Cons
long hours and lack of equipment/ materials needed to do the job

unpleasant environment
Senior Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire5 April 2018
Always overworked and understaffed, Management are never happy no matter how much effort and extra work that you do - never get proper breaks.
Managers are unsupportive and unhelpful in times of need, very suppressive environment and an ingrained culture of bullying.
Do not be tempted by the wage or nice furniture, the care is not up to scratch because of always using agency and being short staffed.
Hope the new CEO puts a stop to what is happening and ensures homes and staff adhere to the values and behaviours advertised.
Pros
always jobs available due to high turn over of staff - anyone interveiwed gets accepted
Cons
unpaid breaks

Awful
Care assistant (Former Employee) –  Ripley5 April 2018
Staff get treated like dirt by management, complaints are never dealt with. Sickness policy is a joke and there is no care or compassion for staff. MHA values only exist on paper and they rely on agency too much meaning residents don’t get the care they deserve.
Pros
The workers are friendly

Not good place to work
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ilkley, West Yorkshire3 April 2018
Staff care but management don't. If you work nights will expect you to go to meetings at 2pm, middle of the night for you! Will also ring you during the day ( your sleep time!) To ask if you will cover shifts. Always short staffed and often work without a senior member of staff.
Pros
Cons
Short staffed

Brilliant place to work
Care assistant (Current Employee) –  Mobberley, Cheshire22 March 2018
The best place I have ever worked and I have worked within the caring profession for 21 years
Good relationship between care staff and managers and a lovely atmosphere. Pay very good. The manages are really helpful if you are needing advice and very approachable.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
None really
12 April 2018

Thanks for sharing such a positive example of how MHA is living its Values.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MHA. Our community is ready to answer.