MHA Employee Reviews

Decent company
Acting Senior/Care Assistant - Mapplewell Manor (MHA) (Former Employee) –  Barnsley20 January 2020
Working for MHA in one of their homes was personally very rewarding. The training available was fantastic, with hardwork and determination along with the right attitude it is easy to work your way up the ranks. The people i worked with were just the best i can honestly say that every member of staff actually cared for and about the residents they supported. It was a close knit team and everyone was willing to help as long as you shared this mentality. The hardest part of the job as with any role in care was time restraints this can be very difficuly especially when working with individuals with Dementia. However stick to giving person centred care and you wont go wrong. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with residents and learning about their lives.
Not a great place to work
Night Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coventry19 January 2020
Management just care about making the home look nice and doesn’t care about the residents. Understaffed making the job unsafe. I wouldn’t want to end up there that’s for sure
Pros
No pros
Cons
Long hours, no support, residents deserve better care
Full of bullies
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rugeley, Staffordshire7 January 2020
Staff members are allowed to bully and berate new staff members quickly swept under the carpet and not dealt with made to feel inadequate , whole atmosphere is stressful dreaded going into work . Most mornings I'd cry when I got home .MHA not at all interested in their staff or how being bullied impacts on someone . Disgusting really ! Hence 6 members of night staff leaving within a short period
Pros
Non
Cons
Long hour's sometimes no breaks but still not paid
Glad I am Leaving
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Handsworth5 January 2020
I came to this place enthusiastic and happy, and going out feeling the complete opposite. However the SCA's and CA's are amazing here. Management care more about themselves and their ego than residents, Management more concerned about themselves then the staff or residents. Often Understaffed, over worked and all stressed out, don't go without caution and staff are never supported or appreciated. Unless you want to be undervalued and under minded. I ignored the bad reviews thinking it was just the disgruntled few but sadly I’ve learnt the hard way. As much as it saddens me to say it my advice would be don’t do it, morale low.. his month alone 3 other colleques are leaving not to mention last 9month 9 0ther coleques has Staff morale low. People leave faster than they can employ and if they do they don’t stick around for too long One carer Has been off sick for the last 2 months on stress leave due to work
Don't bother
Over worked care assistant (Former Employee) –  Pennystone court23 December 2019
Very stressful no support ! The manager has a click with the senior staff who are lazy & think they are better than the care staff that actually deliver all the care ! It's what I'd say not well run at all the care staff are brilliant but as I would say the senior staff & manager & deputy all up each other's bum holes to be blunt ! Hope they see the home for what it is all false & bull
Lovely place to work
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Handsworth Bowdon21 December 2019
Really happy working for MHA. They pay over the living wage and the company really cares about its hard working employees.
The management are really friendly and care about the staff. The Manager always treats the staff when they go above and beyond.
All of the staff work as a team and everyone is treated equal.
A great place!
Care Assistant for the Elderly (Former Employee) –  Whitstable, Kent6 December 2019
I worked as a Care Assistant. Friendly staff to work with. New Management full of purpose and ideas. A good working environment! Residents are just lovely.
Disgusting place
Laundry assistant (Former Employee) –  Poole, Dorset4 December 2019
I wouldn't even let this company look after my dog let alone my relative, if your face fits your okay, whistle blowing, JOKE, brushed under the carpet, management and carers rude to residents, and frightened to say anything for fear of what could happen, residents left in dirty clothes and left in bistro. Bullys!
Life with MHA
Wellbeing Worker (Current Employee) –  Wolstanton, Staffordshire3 December 2019
I feel pay compared to other companies is relatively good and MHA do consider retaining staff and appear to be looking into looking after staff more at present.They are the only company I know where any surplus actually goes back to the resident.
The service I actually work for is a great place to work.
Would not be very polite they are not worth it.!
Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Northumberland27 November 2019
Not proffessional. Bullying is allowed to continue. Too much lying and talking behind peoples back the decent ones. It is a poorly managed home. Has always been the same. Employ poor managerial staff. Also office staff.
Awful company
Senior Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Chester, Cheshire18 November 2019
Staff are over worked and under paid.
Too expensive for residents - what they pay and what they receive is awful

Management are bullies and will hire anyone and anything

Head office and above cover theirselves and stick together

and the values are pointless
Company disappointing
Domestic Assistant (Former Employee) –  Runcorn, Cheshire17 November 2019
I applied for the domestic assistant a week later was invite for a interview was successful and offered the job took all my identity for the dbs check then the next week they withdrawn the offer of the job all in total disappointed with the company to have done that and thinks its disappointing to do that to people
Started off excited, soon turned to dread
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire14 November 2019
I started off really excited to come and work for MHA. After my shadowing, which was on days when I was contracted to nights, I thought ok this place is really relaxed and the staff are nice. I had zero induction and was left to fend for myself on nights. Always under staffed too! Skip forward 8 months and I’ve handed in my notice because I feel like I was told a pack of lies when it come to the MHA values.
Amazing job if the management care, too.
Senior Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bottisham, Cambridgeshire14 November 2019
I have worked for MHA for 10 years, first as a care assistant, then as senior. I would say your experience completely depends on the management. I am fortunate enough to work with an amazing team.

Management actually care for you and residents. It seems rare with care homes but I can honestly say, employee welfare is high priority. A care home that gets it right. Happy staff = loyal, hard working staff.

Training/Progression.. You are required to do a lot of training, which is ongoing. Daunting at first but it is necessary for the job. You are also encouraged to progress, which is a great feeling. You aren't just a number. They want to see you thrive.

The hardest part of the job, for me, is that, like many health care jobs, you can go home with worries. Did I do this right? Did I forget anything? It's difficult to deal with sometimes.

Overall, I would highly recommend a care assistant job, it is very fulfilling which you can't get with other, similar paid jobs.
Love my job
Senior Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Blackpool, Lancashire12 November 2019
I've been a senior carer at Pennystone Court for 2 years. I get a lot of job satisfaction and this is due to the amazing team, working hard at been the best for our residents. With support from our manager achieving and encouringing us to continually achieve the best.
Great company
Senior care assistant (Current Employee) –  Blackpool, Lancashire11 November 2019
I have worked for MHA for 4 years in the 4 years I have iv enjoyed progressing I started as a domestic cleaner then was offered the opportunity to become a care assistant, a role I'd never done before. I had full support and training, the team is a fab team very helpful and again very supportive. This year I have been accepted for funding to complete my nvq 3 ... which goes to show that staff are valued and management are more than happy supporting with any progression ..
horrible
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  St Leonards-on-Sea, East Sussex10 November 2019
horrible!! was treated badly, communication is terrible. too much to do in one day. you're basically put in a corner and left with no support from management at all. MHA need to learn their own respect & values.
MHA Cares for WHO??
Administration Manager (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom4 November 2019
After working for this company, I found myself in a position where my role had changed and I essentially had to apply for my own job, which I did and luckily, I was one of the successful few that passed.
Enjoying my new role soon turned from enjoyment to sheer fear.
The amount of work you were expected to achieve on a day to day basis, when the home in itself was so incredibly busy was unachievable.
You were made to feel bad if you went home on time, so often ended up spending 1 or 2 more hours unpaid trying to catch up on work you could never get on top of.
Whoever thought of the role of Administration Manager has clearly never had to do it before, especially not in a home the size I worked in.
I ended up having a massive breakdown and the home I worked in was the majority of the reason. I would have panic attacks on the way in to work, I lost too much sleep over it. I would be on call even though it wasn't part of my job (to be fair, I offered), I also would offer to come in with the Home Manager to do a night shift (probably the only time I could actually finish anything!)
I had a wonderful relationship with the Home Manager, we had to battle through a ridiculously hard year where there was just the two of us with very little support from Head Office and no Area Manager.
Head Office were not the helpful people they professed to be. On a number of occasions, I was shouted at down the phone, snotty emails telling me I hadn't done something and then when I proved I had, there was no apology, no acknowledgment of it. It soon wears you down. It soon makes you feel
  more... that you're not worth anything, it makes you feel that you can't do your job properly and then you start to doubt yourself and your own self worth.
I absolutely loved that home and the residents, oh, my residents, I miss them terribly, but the job and all that it became. No. I dont miss that.
A lot of staff are leaving due to a massive change in the atmosphere in the home, its not the happy place it used to be. Don't get me wrong, the carer and nurses, the domestics, the kitchen and management do the best job they can ever do, but the atmosphere isn't what it was.
Essentially, you have to be the right fit, you have to want to work 45-50 hours a week, you have to want to ignore your family life and not have a social life. You have to want to put your job before anything else in your life because it will slowly take your soul, it will deprive you and make you feel worthless. It will make you consider extreme things. I was in a bad place. I left and now, now I feel so much lighter.
I didn't realise how toxic it had become until I was free.
Fantastic
Senior Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ormskirk3 November 2019
I found my time with MHA absolutely amazing the management the staff are a great bunch of people they are always willing to help with anything and the level of care is second to none the management are always willing to listen and help with any problems any staff member may have
Terrible
Care assistant (Former Employee) –  Chippenham29 October 2019
I have never felt so undervalued and as a 'number' in all my life. Management are only out for themselves, often making employees cry and stressed. They have employees who are favoured above others. Totally unsupportive towards mental health, or if you are signed off sick. This is seen with other colleges of mine.They dont provide you the correct information. Management unapproachable and care more about themselves and their ego than residents. Have seen to be unprofessional at times. Issues raised to the management, nothing is done about it. Night staff have different rules to the day staff. There is a constant feeling of negativity throughout the home due to the issues stressed above. I came to this place enthusiastic and happy, and came out feeling the complete opposite. However the SCA's and CA's are amazing here.
Cons
Long hours, no support, underpaid, undervalued

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MHA. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8