MHA Employee Reviews

Overworked and underpaid
care assistant (Current Employee) –  South Yorkshire17 January 2019
Great home with some great staff, manager is lovely and has turned the home around but senior management micro manage.
Wished the manager would stay and a lot of staff will leave when she leaves.
Always short staffed and only 1 senior to give medications to 33 residents and staff dont get to spend time with the residents as always rushing to get things done, manager has tried to get more staff but head office more interested in profit over the residents.
Pros
Wages ok, nice home
Cons
Only care about profit not staff or residents
Stable employer good prospects
Registered Manager (Current Employee) –  Lancashire17 January 2019
Good organisation to work for, supportive, very good staff induction , good job prospects. Excellent rates of pay, staff bonus, pension and other benefits.
awful
Care Assistant for the Elderly (Former Employee) –  Chippenham, Wiltshire9 January 2019
I have never felt so uncomfortable in my whole life. I was left to get on with everything by myself on my first shift, the senior carer who is supposed to be in charge and professional made comments about the job before I even started making it seem like it was the worst place to work ever. staff need training on how to actually be carers and how to treat residents, hygiene poor when giving personal care, understaffed, looks amazing to work for on the outside if you like the carer role, very poor on the inside, no one knows what goes on on a night shift and it definitely shows
Pros
Cons
understaffed, underqualified, long hours
I love MHA
People Development (Current Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire2 January 2019
I have worked for MHA for 2 and a half years now and I have had a great experience. I truly believe that most of the organisation live and breathe the MHA Core Values and truly care about bringing quality to later life. I have had comprehensive support from my managers and feel appreciated in my work, I have also had the opportunity to work on my personal development and have managed to progress within the organisation.
MHA pay generously but I would say we do slack somewhat on employee/company benefits and some benefits you don't feel comfortable using and so doesn't really feel like a benefit.
I am very happy in my role and feel I am doing my part in helping to bring quality to later life.
Pros
Core Values
Cons
Lack of benefits
Rubbish management AND care
Carer (Former Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk31 December 2018
Care varies depending who provides it and whether or not the resident is a 'favorite' night staff have little to do with residents during the night regardless of their needs, manager is power hungry but doesn't actually DO anything and staff are run down because of the impossible work/life balance.
Pros
Can get away with anything if you're a favorite
Cons
Ignore the residents, check the boxes
You get out what you put in, found the management very helpful.
Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire11 December 2018
Been working at the Maples for over 2 years after over 30 years being self employed.
Big change for me.
Kept busy most days with the maintenance and general up keep.

The residents here are a really nice group,they are mostly quite elderly and have varying needs which seem to be catered for admirably.

People come and go, but I'm humbled by the commitment most people give for what is generally a low earning occupation.

I guess being older and settled in my life helps with my work life balance needs.

On the up side i applied for 3 jobs when i decided to give up my self employment and chose this job after being offered the role.
I'm not looking for a change.

If you want to work in a care environment you could do a lot worse than working for the MHA group.
Pros
Nice working environment, paid holliday!! Great food
Cons
I' m not self employed anymore...
Don’t do it
Care assistant (Former Employee) –  Montpellier manor middlesbrough11 December 2018
Never worked in such a disorganised place as that, staff haven’t a clue,worst ever staff team I’ve worked in,i thought it was not good to have families working together and their friends ,they do there ,Paper managers who just sit behind a computer whilst the few staff on the floor run ragged and the one senior run around like an headless chicken,short staffed always got to the point were they won’t use agency because it’s costing the company too much money,I was there a month if that,
Pros
Residents
Cons
Always wondering if you were going to get your break
Fantastic organisation and team
Talent Acquisition Advisor (Current Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire4 December 2018
I joined the the organisation 3 months ago and have thoroughly been impressed from day 1. The induction, support and opportunities I have been given in a short space of time has really helped me settle in.

The team I work within truly represent MHA's values and the work ethic is second to none. I would most certainly recommend MHA as an organisation to work for.
Pros
My team and commitment to diversity as well as opportunities for development.
Cons
None.
I love my job!
Administration Manager (Current Employee) –  Bury, Greater Manchester27 November 2018
I have worked at MHA for a year now as Administration Manager and I love my job. It is certainly full on and at the end of the day I am tired, but I wouldn't change a thing. Our home is lovely. The Manager is very supportive to me in my role and to all the staff. We have an excellent senior team. All the care staff and other ancillary staff are lovely and everyone cares about the residents so much. There is always a lovely atmosphere. In a highly regulated industry such as care of the elderly, you need a sound structure and yes, there are lots of policies governing how we care for residents and staff, but they are there to protect the everyone. All in all I would say this is the best job I have ever had.
Pros
Great team of people
Cons
Can't always get through everything in the day
Great place
HCA/Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Bexhill, East Sussex26 November 2018
Great place to work. Good atmosphere, great caring attitude towards residents, clean and tidy place in general, well organized. I like working in this house.
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
Unpaid brakes
Visiting residents
Senior Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Queenswood22 November 2018
Worked at Queenswood for almost 10 years, worked my months notice and left on good terms.
Was told i was not aload to visit residents after leaving, i was told this rule applies across all MHA homes. Obviously certain residents were upset about this.
Contacted HR to complain and 2 months down the line this is still ongoing.
I think this is disgraceful, MHA has values, but in my opinion they dont practice them.
Pros
Uniform/Training
Cons
Management/Head Office
23 November 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We’re sorry to hear that your recent experience at work has not reflected MHA’s Values

awful place to work
anonymous (Former Employee) –  Stainton, North Yorkshire18 November 2018
was suppose to be on induction at start date but was that short staffed was just left on my own, wasn't shown about anything,never met such rude uneducated and unprofessional staff,no support from management at all they just sit in office like they got nothing better to do whilst the few staff on the floor are run ragged, but mha provide state of the art home but no quality of care to those residents.i didn't want to be part of this so lasted only a very short time
Pros
Residents
Cons
No quality of care
23 November 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. If you’d like to provide further details please email laura.bell@mha.org.uk or call 01332 221871 for a confidential chat with our HR Team.

Shocking Management
Carer (Former Employee) –  Oldham, Greater Manchester7 November 2018
I worked for Avonleigh Gardens in Oldham for over a year. Management promise you the world, promise to support you and put you through for any training you’d wish. The whole time I was there non of this happened. Incidents would accrue and the manager would brush them under the carpet. We eventually got a new manager later this year, this one likes to make staff cry, discriminate them when they needed time off for family emergencies. I thought MHA was meant to be a caring company? Where’s the care and compassion there. It’s pretty clear that as staff we are though of as nothing.
Pros
Salary, care staff
Cons
Management, head office
23 November 2018

Home great for residents, but not staff
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  unknown5 November 2018
Working at an MHA Home at present..
Was meant to have an induction and shadowing, not happened! Been at home for 2 weeks and already looking for new job.
Left on suite with 16 residents whilst Senior and other career went outside. On my 2nd Shift!

Poor management, hours rubbish, not considerate at all if you need to change. Shifts are set in stone, was told I'd be doing 3.5 shifts (3 x 11hr plus an hour unpaid for breaks and 1 x 6hr shift) per week, but didn't get told that start of week was Sunday to Saturday so one week you end up doing 4.5 shifts per week.
Off-duty is already done 10 MONTHS in advance what a joke!! (so I know what I'm working up until August 2019!!!
You also have to falsify paperwork, writing about residents you've not even got dressed or up in the morning
Pros
Free lunch, residents are lovley
Cons
Maybe £9phr but no enhancemenst for weekends, bank holidays or overtime

Nope, don’t do it!
Chef (Former Employee) –  West Midlands31 October 2018
Never before have I been made to feel like I wasn’t good enough, until I worked here. The management style needs to be reviewed and evaluated- Bullying and intimidation is the norm! Rude and aggressive behaviour from management. No matter how well you do your job, it’s never enough, constant criticism. Management are only interested in keeping to budgets so they can recoup their bonus, so staffing levels kept to the bare minimum. If you value your mental health, do not work for MHA. Please don’t ask me to ring or email for a ‘confidential chat ‘, I have already spoken to HR, who are not interested in my exit interview or the written assessment I provided! Avoid at all costs!
Pros
Colleagues and residents
Cons
Awful managers, bullying and intimidation
23 November 2018

We’re sorry to hear that your recent experience at work has not reflected MHA’s Values. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

Worse working experience ever.
Live at Home (Former Employee) –  Derby24 October 2018
Senior management have no idea and give conflicting information with impossible expectations. Staff morale low and concerns are not addressed and it speaks volumes when staff turnover is twice the size of the entire team.
Pros
Volunteers and service users
Cons
Everything else is a nightmare
23 November 2018

If you value your career don’t work for MHA
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sussex13 October 2018
clicks of staff , bullying rife, constant cover ups of real errors and fabrication of allegations when they are pressured to investigate.
Place is total joke. If you tell the truth they sack you. Only like people to work for them that will help to cover things up and forge documents.
Pros
The team I worked with
19 October 2018

We take your comments seriously and would like to gain a proper understanding of your experience. Please email us laura.bell@mha.org.uk or call 01332 221871 for a confidential chat with our HR Team.

Let down
Ca (Current Employee) –  West Midlands10 October 2018
The manger who is supposed to listen to staff as they on the floor working not hiding behind a computer knows what’s going on but this manger don’t want to know has a reply for everything of what happened in the past. The staff are all over worked no thank you. The manger has no people skills not approachable.
We always short staffed and it effects the residents this is they home we should be able to spear 5 mins to sit and talk to them but we can’t because we are that busy it’s been times when they just been two careers and one senior with 33+ residents.
Pros
The care team amazing
Cons
Manger don’t listen
19 October 2018

Absolutely dreadful place to work
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wells, Somerset4 October 2018
I am not going to waste much of my time with this awful company.. management useless and rude and a bully.. worst place I have ever worked and worked for ..
Pros
No pros
Cons
Long hours .. want blood

Dreadful Company
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire25 September 2018
This was one of the worst environments I have ever worked in, a terrible culture of bullying, blame shifting and senior management feathering their own nests. No idea regarding modern working practices in matters regarding inclusion, diversity etc. If you value your wellbeing do not work for this company!
Pros
Cons
Dreadful management, bullying, lack of diversity
19 October 2018

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MHA. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9