Metropolitan Police Employee Reviews

Assists development
Suitable career for developing yourself as a person and obtaining skills that are transferable to a number of other professional areas. Good way to develop understanding of human nature as well.
Work enjoyment
Correspondence Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lewisham2 October 2019
I enjoyed working for them, but last few years things changed. Went for promotion and passed, then higher grade work was not available and my present grade would mo longer be available at present location. I was a hard working person who looked for work once my job load was completed. I kept to my timelines and made sure things were completed on time, In which more work was given to me.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
No promotion
Pension was great
Character Enquiries Clerk (Former Employee) –  Victoria, Greater London1 October 2019
Due to budget cuts there was no promotion on offer, no pay rise and not much training available. Seemed to be a gap between senior management and those working on the ground.
Always interesting, very rewarding.
VIIDO office staff (Former Employee) –  Scotland Yard27 September 2019
Its always good to be part of the police service serving London. Working with people who have a common purpose and who are equally dedicated to their work is a good feeling.
Who can you trust? No one.
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London26 September 2019
Working for the Metropolitan Police Service was one of the worst experiences of my life especially having dedicated 15 years to them, the last 4 years in particular were the worst.

An organisation that is keen to promote equality and diversity as well upholding a strong sense of honesty and integrity is nothing but deceitful and discriminatory. You are better off trusting the "criminals" you deal with rather than your colleagues or managers who are only willing to support you if there is a benefit for them, outside of that you are on your own hung out to dry by an organisation that tries to sell an image that is rapidly crumbling from within. Figures speak for themselves when you look at staff turn over vs those that used to see it as a long term career.

There used to be prestige and respect in being a police officer and you had to work for it, now it's harder to get a job in a supermarket than it is to get into the Met who now take on anyone and call it "Diversity".

The staff they have are incompetent unlike the old guard who are slowly fading away.
realistic view
Communications Officer (Current Employee) –  Hendon, Greater London25 September 2019
Working within the metropolitan police you need to know when to detach your feelings and become professional. This is not a job for someone that is unable to do this. The job title of a communications officer comes with 12 hour shifts 4-5 times a week including weekends and bank holidays.
This is a great role for its salary but not amazing for work life balance.
fun
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  Forest Gate, Greater London20 September 2019
new experience
fun
the typical day at work was very fast paced we learned alot about the life of crime. when we first came we was shown around the place and we done various of acitivities e.g visiting the police dogs
enjoyable
Resouce Fleet assistant (Former Employee) –  Whitechapel, Greater London16 September 2019
The Metropolitan police. I worked for this organisation twice first between 1980 and 1987 and again between these dates 2005 to 2015. I was employed as a resource fleet assistant which entailed cleaning police vehicles, driving when required to various locations around London to either get an IDR vehicle download or to get some damage reported, or taking vehicles to or collecting them from the workshops, occasionally going to Hendon police college to swap vehicles over so that the mileages of these vehicles used by the training unit increased the mileages rather than just one vehicle being used all the time. I also traveled to a company in Erith Kent to collect and delivering method of entry equipment to the repair center. Every week I also did the collecting of vehicle mileages inputting these on to the computer system and emailing them across to the central office. I found the work variable and extremely satisfying as you are left to your cognizance to fulfill your workload without anyone bothering you.
City of London Police
Intelligence Analyst (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London12 September 2019
Good organisation to work for - work life balance, innovative and global. Healthy workplace culture, funded units, supportive management nice colleagues.
Professional
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  London10 September 2019
The Metropolitan Police Service is a great organisation to be apart of and I thoroughly enjoyed my time in the Met. However, I recently relocated in Yorkshire and subsequently transferred to another police force.
unsocial hours
pcso (Former Employee) –  North London, Greater London4 September 2019
productive , nice environment, work always under work pressure ,
good communication skills.
working under all the weather circumstances.
liaising with all the nationalities and divercity .
going unsocial hours like weekends and bank holidays.
The most enjoyable part of work is to work with the team.
Great Place to Work
SIT Test Manager (Former Employee) –  London2 September 2019
Had a pleasure to work with the great team. Even though it was a public sector project, my team made it an exciting & enjoyable experience. Apart from some usual issues good experience overall.
Excellent employer
Stable hand groom (Former Employee) –  London30 August 2019
I always received the support I needed from the employer and colleagues. Very good employer. I worked there for 17 years and I found it a very worthwhile career working with animals.
Met police officer.
Police Constable (Current Employee) –  London30 August 2019
Being a police officer is a vocational job. If it's for you, then you will exceed goals and get job satisfaction. Helping vulnerable people, get the fairness and protection they deserve. Stopping or interrupting organised crime and gathering the evidence that will result in achieving justice. The other side of the coin includes a possible change or reaction from friends or family, shift work and public attacks both verbally and physically.
Good environment to work for
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Hammersmith26 August 2019
excellent teamwork and good management who are more than happy to help and support you always a good workload guaranteed breaks and always leave on time excellent opportunities to progress and self develop
Detention Officer
Designated Detention Officer (Former Employee) –  Heathrow Station25 August 2019
Taking fingerprints and Photos of Detainees, as well as looking after their welfare and their needs.
Liaising with Solicitors, Doctors for Detainees. Booking in
Vocational work with great job satisfaction.
Police constable (Former Employee) –  Bethnal Green, Greater London7 August 2019
I served as a Police officer within the Metropolitan police service for 5years. I loved a lot of my time there though nothing is perfect. The pay is not great but that depends on your personal situation. For younger people with less life responsibility its diffenately a fair salary. It is shift work and if there is an incident that requires your attendance, its your duty to help. Therefore planning events on the same day as early shifts remains a risk. You are face to face with members of the public who have a very varied experience and idea of what you do. Though in my opinion 70_80% of the time you are respected for the difficulties you face daily. I is hard but rewarding work and it is a disciplined service. In my opinion it's vocational, if your the right type of person it's great if not you may struggle at times.
Pros
Job satisfaction
Cons
Negative attitudes towards the organisation.
Pleasant and friendly colleagues, despite work load
Driving Instructor (Current Employee) –  Hendon, Greater London29 July 2019
Have worked for the Met Police for over 40 years .
Challenging some times both as a serving police officer and later as a civiliasn driving instructor. Hav been suppoted when needed but not always as flexable and therefore sometimes work life balance was difficult.
work
DCI (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London17 July 2019
satisfactory place to work. Motivating leadership.
Multi Job
Designated Detention Officer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London10 July 2019
This is a job that requires numerous different skills ranging from public skills to forensic skills. You will/maybe working very long hours or many shifts in a row. Under current government it has been stripped down to its bare core but hopefully with a more intelligent government in place this will turn around.
Pros
Learning new skills
Cons
Job/Life completely unbalanced

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Metropolitan Police. Our community is ready to answer.