Metropolitan Police Employee Reviews for Police Sergeant

A Great Career
Police Sergeant (Former Employee) –  London20 May 2018
A fulfilling and challenging career with may opportunities to enhance you status , experience , income.
I retired as a Sergeant , and although most of my career was in the Traffic Departments i ended my career as a Counter Terrorist Firearms Officer.
Pros
Great opportunities
Cons
Long Hours, cancelled res days poor life balance
Policing London
Police Sergeant (Former Employee) –  London4 September 2017
Great job providing a public service. Loved working there. I rose to the rank of Police Sergeant with 7 years service and then performed different roles as a team supervisor, Custody Officer and then finally training manager before retirement at the Serious Crime Directorate training Homicide Detectives. My speciality was Advanced Interviewing of Suspects. I was also a Level 5 Diversity Trainer.
Pros
Job satisfaction
Cons
Physically demanding at times.
Varied and demanding career
Police Sergeant (Current Employee) –  London30 May 2017
After 34 years service in the Metropolitan police I have seen many changes, none more impactive that those over the last few years.

The Police used to be a well rewarded public service career.
This is not the case currently. I cannot recommend the Police service as a career now,
No one day ever the smae
Sergeant Operations Manager Police Air Support (Former Employee) –  London19 January 2017
Fortunate to be able to spend the majority of my career in Police Aviation
With management come flying the desk. Budgets. H&S Staff. Training
Pros
Fly over London
Cons
Budget Cuts
Enjoyable employess
Police Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Various Locations12 December 2016
Great career for 30 years
Rewarding job , management has changed, very money orientated ,
Now have to complete 40 years service
Currently undergoing change
Police Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Proactive Crime Squad26 November 2016
The Met Police is a large organisation undergoing huge and widespread change. Being public sector the entire service is under review. I cannot say where it will end and what the organisation will look like in 2 years time. Although lots of the incoming management have no previous policing experience so there may well be teething significant issues in the near future. The prime minister has shown a general dislike of the service during her reign as home secretary so inevitably there will be more significant cuts and inevitably privatisation of certain policing functions.
Pros
Interesting and varied
Cons
Short notice changes to working patterns
Unrivalled variety and hugely rewarding
Police/Detective Sergeant (Former Employee) –  London, ENG7 June 2015
Possibly the most varied sphere of work available! From ordinary beat patrol to counter-terrorism operative in hostile locations around the globe. Surely there cannot be any other job which has the rich diversity, excitement and opportunity for helping those in unfortunate circumstances.
Consequently, there is no 'typical day at work!'.
Pros
At times hugely rewarding
Cons
Very long hours and crazy shifts
Target driven, pressure to perform
Police Sergeant (TRU Supervisor) (Current Employee) –  London, ENG24 November 2014
I work 10 hour days as a supervisor I am tasked with allocating the workload to my team, to achieve the department goals, to assess demands for risk and ensure problems are resolved. This job has taught me to to judge the strengths and weaknesses of team members and to use those individual skills to the benifit of the team.
Pros
Free coffee/tea
Cons
10 hour shifts
Over all not a bad place to work
Police Sergeant - Emergency response team (Current Employee) –  Newham18 September 2014
As a Sergeant I run the day to day responsibilities of a response team.
Pros
Nice to work with a great group of people
Cons
Shift work and the negativity of working with criminals
Busy,Challenging (on a daily basis), Exciting, Rewarding & Enjoyable
Police Sergeant (Former Employee) –  London, ENG4 January 2014
Typical Day, consisted of :- Briefing my officers on current crime trends and events in my area of responsibility, Response Team Westminster Borough, (Liecester Sq, Covent Garden, Soho, Mayfair, Oxford St.) and deploying them to their postings for that day. i.e. Car / foot patrols, security patrol, cime tasking, 999 Response.
I would then complete all admin ASAP and then join my officers out on patrol, ensuring to meet with all officers under my supervision. I would attend all serious calls and assist/supervise and provide a link to my Senior Management Team. I would make decisions at a tactical level and implement any Statagy decisions made by my SMT. I would be responsible for the safety of my officers and the public and ensure that they received the nessessary support accroding to their circumstances.

What I Learned :- I learned a lot about my personal abillities and how I react to certian circumstances and surprised myself that I work better under pressure or in emergency situations. I learned that I was very good with people, both Colleagues and Public. Very good with HR issues, Welfare, Employment & discipline. Developed an eye for detail & report writing.

Co Workers :- I had excellent relationships with my co workers as we worked well as a team. I am able to talk to people at all levels and can adjust my communication skills to fit the circumstances presented to me at the time. I am very approachable and able to defuse tensions and make people feel comfortable and listened too.

The hardest part of my role as a police officer would have to be dealing
  more... with abused children. Not so much hard to deal with but difficult to put into place, imediately, all the safegarding agencies needed to protect them from harm. Also takes an emotional toll on the officers involved.

The most enjoyable part of the Job:- All of it !
Knowledge in the fact that you have made a difference to someones life, helped them, rescued them from harm, removed offenders from committing crime and on occasion Saved someones life !

Also enjoyed driving fast cars on a Blue Light !!!
Pros
Job Satisfaction
Cons
Very long hours and unsociable shifts
Police Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Chadwell Heath, ENG11 June 2013
There are no typical days at work. Every day is different and diverse. The hardest part of this is trying to explain road death to a recently bereaved person. The most enjoyable part is the diversity where no two jobs are the same
Pros
job satisfaction
Cons
long hours, short notice change of duties
A challenging and rewarding place to work where teamwork comes first
Police Sergeant (Current Employee) –  London, Heathrow Airort18 March 2013
A career as a police officer provides you with a vast array of different duties and no day is the same. One day you can be patrolling and responding to emergency incidents and the next you could be in management meetings planning strategies and up coming operations. Managing my staff is the most important part of my job and working so closely with others means that teamwork is essential. The hardest part of the job is undoubtedly dealing with the endless bureaucracy and political changes. The most rewarding part is helping out members of the public in genuine need.
Pros
a secure and sociable environment
Cons
long hours and shift work
Variety of challenges
Police Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Romford31 October 2012
As a police officer based in London for the last eleven years I have worked in a variety of challenging roles, from protection groups, tasking teams to surveillance which have facilitated the development of my investigative and management skills.

Police Sergeant 2007 – 2011

•Responsible for designing demographic profile of response team route planning creating patrol zones to maximise efficiency and minimise time wasted getting to incidents.
•Response team Driver Verifier ensuring Officer Driver Standards were maintained, daily vehicle checks completed, and probationary officers were fully compliant with internal equipment prior to patrolling borough.
•Responsible for a 50 police officers including deputising for senior officer in managing incidents as they arose.
•Created interactive spreadsheet demonstrating available staff; now acknowledged as a critical system in the assessment and deployment of staff
•Conducted daily briefings in reference to ongoing crimes
•Acknowledged as expert in the coaching and mentoring of developing junior staff
•Designed network sharing folder to enhance supervision of staff sickness leading to vastly improved data availability and management
•Created spreadsheet enabling enhanced accuracy of statistics
•Seconded by senior management to oversee the enhancement of working patterns; recommendations now adopted by neighbouring services.
•Designed automatic email system for enhanced productivity
•Responsible for instigating networking practices improving operational efficiency
•Appointed by senior management to represent the police service at key
  more... community stakeholder meetings providing presentations to council members and senior officers.
•Contributed significantly to Havering being acknowledged as safest borough in Metropolitan Police
Pros
job satisfaction
Cons
management and morale
It was a rwarding job with real day to day chalenges
Police Sergeant on safer neighbourhood team. (Current Employee) –  Westminster23 June 2012
I was in charge of a team of 12 officers, my role was to run an area of London which had high levels of social deprivation and a strong gang culture.I would liaise with key individuals within the community and keep them updated with my plans and strategies on dealing with crime in the local area.
I learned how to work with a close team , keep them motivated during difficult times with re structuring etc that was going on within the organisation, keeping them focused on the work at hand.
I enjoyed overcoming the many difficulties I faced on a daily basis, and setting up problem solving initiatives within the estate on my ground, also working closely with the diverse community in Queens Park ward.
Pros
free transport.
Cons
the very complex shift pattern
The Police
Police officer. Acting Sergeant (Current Employee) –  West London11 June 2012
Work is generally very busy, with not enough officer's to cover all the incoming calls/incidents that are being reported.
My industry is one in which you never stop learning, with legislation and standard operating procedures changing almost daily!
My co-workers are very keen, although relatively low in service.
The hardest part of my job is supervising officer's and their decision making.
Most enjoyable part of my job is the variety.
Pros
variety, colleagues
Cons
hours, shifts, low pay compared to decisions that are made