Metropolitan Police Employee Reviews for Detective

Fantastic Career
Detective Chief Inspector (Former Employee) –  Southwark, Greater London21 February 2019
The Metropolitan Police was an everyday challenge. It allowed you to challenge decision making, change culture and policy. The ever changing aspects of society meant that you as an individual had to be flexible to change and be transparent in decision making processes.
Pros
Flexibility challenge and diverse
Cons
long hours and bureaucracy
Management of Child Abuse Investigation Unit
Detective Inspector (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London31 January 2019
Working with a Specialist Command Investigation and dealing with Child Abuse has a fantastic reward knowing that one has assisted and supported the most vulnerable people within our society.
Difficult working environment
Detective Chief Inspector (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London28 December 2018
30 years has been a challenge but overall a terrific experience. Not a job I would join now but perhaps because I see things through rose tinted glasses
Pros
Security and constantly changing landscape
Cons
Not the job it once was
Completion of Pensionable Service
I have thoroughly enjoyed my time as a police officer and during this time period worked with some dedicated and professional people.
the camaraderie is second only to the military. I have learned a number of new skills and honed many existing ones. If I could do it all over again I would do but join earlier in my life. No day is the same!A once in a lifetime experience.
Pros
A number of benefits packages, pension and job satisfaction
Cons
Anti social hours, scarifices made detrimental to family life
N/a
Detective (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London15 April 2018
Due to an office move I have a 2.5 hour commute each way and this on top of extended working periods away from home mean this is no longer the job for me
Pros
Lots of overtime if you want it
Cons
Long Commute
Confidential
Detective Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Counter Terrorism Command6 March 2018
I currently operate in security cleared vetted environment. I am not able or permitted to discuss my current role as it is secret/restricted environment.
Not what it was
Detective Sergeant (Former Employee) –  North London, Greater London18 February 2018
There are not many jobs where you can absolutely love what you you do for 90% of a 30 year career. I retired having had a mostly wonderful time and had the privilege of working with the most hard working decent people there are. Sadly the job started falling apart, in my opinion, when it became borough based and taken over by the mayor. Pensions were suddenly not what was promised. Some officers now have to work up to 10 years longer for a fraction of what they were going to get under the original agreement. The support of senior managers has gone, all they now care about is their own careers. They no longer want career officers as they don’t want to at the pensions. Long hours, Little reward, public abuse, the worry of a complaint where you receive little support, antiquated equipment. Truly a sad state of affairs.
Pros
Great colleagues
Cons
Everything else
Detective role (Current Employee) –  Ilford, Greater London30 December 2017
A great place to obtain necessary skills and confidence. Concisely risk managing and making sure you adhere to members of the publics needs and rights.
Wonderful Career
Detective Sergeant (Former Employee) –  London3 October 2017
Worked for 30 years working shifts. Investigating he most serious of crimes and dealing with victims, families and vulnerable people.
Having to create dialogue and appease the most violent offenders and those with significant mental and physical health problems.
Mps
Detective Sergeant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London13 August 2017
Seen so many changes over 30 yrs service, not all for the better.

My current local senior management work their hardest to ensure officers are happy and safe in their role. Unfortunately this is not always consistent throughout all levels of management, especially the mid management, who seem to have lost focus on others.

That said, the job itself is enjoyable and you get to work with some great people, who can become lifelong friends, you cannot buy this comradery.

The job all in all, has served me well over the years, providing me with a secure employment, but it has helped to have been a dedicated officer, with old values.

Exciting times ahead with the new Commissioner and change in approach to lower ranked officers
Pros
Secure employment.
Cons
Shift work, rest days cancelled at short notice.
Good career
Branch Detective Sergeant (Former Employee) –  London13 January 2017
For those following a vocation in life there is no job like it.
After 30 years service I am proud to say I helped make a difference.
General work
Acting Detective Chief Inspector (Current Employee) –  Borough Station18 September 2016
A superb group of people working to keep the public safe. The company is a solid professional body, willing to progress those staff whom are willing to take on additional work.
Pros
public service
Cons
Unsociable hours
Interesting work but lack of career progress
Detective Sergeant (Current Employee) –  London, ENG4 July 2015
Scope, Investigate and prepare case files for serious and complex fraud offences. These offences are national or international in scale.
After 34 years I would do it all again!!
Detective Inspector, Pan-London (Current Employee) –  London, ENG6 March 2015
Look, we all tend to moan about any job and there are many things to moan about being a police officer BUT when I stand back and look at my career with the MPS I have had such good times, met some fantastic colleagues and friends, achieved many successful outcomes and overall really had a varied and interesting job to do.
What job offers you such a variety of possible fields to work in? Local policing, traffic,boats, horses,dogs even helicopters. Running about chasing burglars and robbers over back gardens, helping an old lady who has collapsed at home or helping to solve a murder.
I seriously would heartily recommend the job as a police officer as literally most days you just cant predict what you are going to be dealing with - and that keeps it interesting.
In terms of benefits, there have been some changes recently because of the financial crisis so pensions are different, however, the whole package I still believe is good and even in these times of strict budgets, there is overtime if you are dealing with major crime or some other critical incident.
If you are thinking about doing it - go for it. Even if you did it for a few years and changed direction the experience of taking control of incidents, the public, making arrests and giving evidence at court will be valued elsewhere.
Pros
Camaraderie, getting justice for victims, making a difference to peoples lives
Cons
Dealing with some of the population of London!
Police detective
Murder investigation detective (Former Employee) –  London, ENG6 November 2014
Working on a murder investigation team. Responding to all types of suspicious death or murders. Giving advice on serious linked crimes and other serious crimes.
Good I.T. skill including police criminal intelligence systems, Police National computer, and other in-house computers for storage of information
Pros
I was very proud to be New Scotland Yard murder detective, before retiring at aged 50 years.
Cons
Unsure sometimes when you might get home.
fun
Acting Detective Inspector (Former Employee) –  London27 October 2014
great fun different each day witrh varied workload and get to meet lots of differtent people from different cultures and social backgrounds - and then arrest them lol.
Pros
free bus tube train travel
Cons
very long hours, days, weeks, months
Opportunities
Detective (Current Employee) –  London10 September 2014
My time with the Metropolitan Police has been exciting and diverse. The opportunities to carry out a wide array of work, allows you to obtain many different skills that can be transferred to the private sector. Within the CID portfolio, there are different roles requiring different levels of responsibilities and work loads. Since I joined, the MPS has change dramatically but due to the ever changing demographics of the people that we serve, you have to learn to be resilient, patient, disciplined, a leader, a listener and amongst other things, a great communicator. My roles over the last few years have been primarily covert led policing. This has allowed me to acquire Project Management Skills as I have been responsible for large scale police operations where I have managed the life cycle of a number of projects. I've been responsible for managing large budgets, personnel and risks management on a number of projects with exceptional achievements.
The hardest part of my job at present is budgetary constraints. I have to deliver the same exemplary standards for a third of the cost. I have managed to do this and this is testament to my ability to work under pressure and deliver under tight time and financial restraints.
The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing any one of my projects through to fruition and obtaining the results that I set out at the inception of the undertaking.
Pros
Job satisfaction
Cons
Unsociable hours
Strong Public Policing Body
Detective (Current Employee) –  London, ENG24 October 2013
There is no such thing as a typical day when working as a detective on a Murder Team and that in itself has been one of the things that has in the past been part of what draws me to this type of work.
If i have learnt anything over the past years it is that people my all be different but in some core elements we are all the same. I have taken a basic character trait and developed it, honed it until i feel conficent now in any situation i may find myself.
The team enviroment provides a network of support, advice and critic which allows you to learn and develop your skills and abilities while observing how others around you achieve the same result via different paths.
The hardest part of the role is the off switch, knowing when and how to disengage and walk away. This is often to area that most fail and is said to be the area where professionals are truely seen. The reward comes daily when you can see the work you do help another overcome an adversity and receive justice from a job well done.
Pros
Meeting a diverse group of people
Cons
Having to deal with Bureaucracy
A challenging workplace with something different every day.
A/Detective Sergeant (Current Employee) –  London7 September 2013
There is rarely a 'typical' day within the Met Police. One day i could be reviewing new allegations of crime and setting investigation strategies. The next i could be managing a critical incident, ensuring safety of the public and with minimal impact on local communities.

I currently manage a team of 6 staff and have had previous experience in managing both proactive and reactive investigation teams. I am trained in surveillance and covert operations. I have good experience in managing and chairing meetings involving several agencies including NHS, Social Services, Local Authority and housing departments, to name a few.

I am easy to get along with and a good people manager. I have handled many staff issues from working hours, shift patterns, training requests, and personal problems. I am responsible for completing performance reports on my team members and i am always transparent in my approach.

The hardest part of my job is the handling of sensitive matters such as persons deceased and their families. Work life balance is also tough sometimes as protracted fast time investigations can cause extremely long hours with little or no notice.

The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to help people in genuine need and the reward of getting results both at court and within the organisation on a wide range of projects.
Pros
Subsidised rail travel.
Cons
Long hours at short notice, limited work / life balance.
Dynamic, everchanging high pressure environment - a fun place to work
Detective Chief Inspector (Former Employee) –  Harrow, London16 May 2013
Review all crimes, ensure resources meet needs and prioritised accordingly according to risks to individuals.
Attend senior management meetings, review whole performance of Borough and ensure risks were managed.
Support staff with investigations, set investigation strategies, deal with victims, partners and other police colleagues.
Learned something new everyday - management skill, a new way of committing a crime and identifying methods to overcome etc.
Part of management team, open and inclusive, involved staff in change processes to give them ownership.
Hardest part of job: insufficient resources to be able to provide service to all that more than meets expectations.
The people,working as a team providing a service to people who were in need of support.