Metropolitan Police Employee Reviews

A typical day at work
Communications Officer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London3 December 2018
Very dynamic and challenging at times. Every day was different as you had to cover various roles and situations.
When dealing direct with the public especially in an emergency situation every day brote something new and challenging, however very rewarding at times.
A typical was taking 999 calls from the public and dealing with the situation by taking control and helping the caller to the best of your ability.
Pros
Good Salary and benefits and rewarding
Cons
Working shifts especially nights
Public Access Officer
Public Access Officer (Current Employee) –  Tottenham, Greater London20 November 2018
The Met is full of amazing people who do not receive the recognition for the thankless job they do. Work/life balance can be difficult but if you don't have a family and you can put up with shifts then it's fine. I think we would all like to earn more money, but those officers on the front line certainly deserve a better wage for the job that they do with their hands tied behind their backs.

I would say that there is a certain comradely and togetherness working in a police force due to the situations you deal with.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Lack of pay for amount of work and effort
Challenging and enjoyable
Police Community Support Officer (Current Employee) –  London8 November 2018
Two days are not the same, therefore the job remains interesting where you learn a lot about yourself as you do other people and best how to interact with them and your enviroment which can change dramatically given the situation. You should have a good sense of humour and be prepared to take a joke having said that colleagues and managers are supportive and helpful.
Pros
Pension, Pay, leave, variety
Cons
Early starts
It was fun once!
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Barnet, Greater London6 November 2018
Having done this job for so long now, nearly 28trs, it has obviously had its ups and downs, but as the job has progressed the lack of support we get from the public and press, the paperwork, the management has got worse, which is why Policing is finding it hard to recruit.
I loved my job until probably 2010 but there has certainly been a significant difference since then.
Pros
My pension is safe, unfortunately not for others with lesser service
Cons
Long hours if you arrest someone at the end of your shift, paperwork, lack of support from management, always put down by the press.
Work experience
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  Plaistow Station26 November 2018
For my work experience at King Harold Academy I completed my Year 10 work experience with the Metropolitan Police at Plaistow police station. I learned how to use and maintain equipment at the police station and about the duties the police complete. I enjoyed the work experience and dealing with the public
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Travel
Hard work no support
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  London13 November 2018
.little chance of promotion - too many people too few jobs and whole thing is a mess. Enjoyable about 10years ago but now its the most accountable job in the world with little to no support from senior managers and even less from government. New officers now are joining for very little money.
Pros
None i can think of
Cons
too many to list
Administration Officer (Former Employee) –  vauxhall, london, Greater London26 September 2018
responding to various emails from Pension related companies and schemes. Both national and international. This depends on where the Officer is relocating to.

checking pay grades on database in regards to transferrable pension and telephone conversations.
Pros
Good short term experience
Cons
Contract based
fools gold
Constable (Former Employee) –  London31 July 2018
Such a shame- I went in with the best intention, but was left soul searching. Such a fantastic job in so many ways, but the good times and camaraderie lull you into a false sense of security. You're often cornered into roles you don't want, at times that don't suit and into teams you don't know. There is next to no thought into your work life balance and career objectives. It's physically and emotionally demanding and you're often left exhausted, with no support. The workplace hierarchy is still trapped in the seventies and the uniforms that are crafted to protect you and the public aren't fitted. The list really goes on... be so so sure before you commit.
Difficult working environment
Detective Chief Inspector (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London28 December 2018
30 years has been a challenge but overall a terrific experience. Not a job I would join now but perhaps because I see things through rose tinted glasses
Pros
Security and constantly changing landscape
Cons
Not the job it once was
Good people and good place to work
Reporting & Insight Lead (Former Employee) –  Earls Court5 December 2018
Good organisation filled with hard working staff. Good leadership. Great variety of roles available. Strong work ethic.
Hardest part of job is managing a heavy workload.
Best part about the job is the people you work with.

Want to know more about Metropolitan Police?

Ask a question
Lost direction
Police Constable (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London13 July 2018
After nearly a decade it's time for a change.
The Metropolitan Police as a result of significant budget cuts has had to change dramatically.
These changes are in the wrong direction and I know longer feel the Organisation reflects what it's core values should be and I know longer feel that I can represent the company.
Pros
Stability
Cons
Work life balance, pay and working conditions
Completion of Pensionable Service
Police Detective - Accredited Investigator (Former Employee) –  London & various boroughs,specialist units29 June 2018
I have thoroughly enjoyed my time as a police officer and during this time period worked with some dedicated and professional people.
the camaraderie is second only to the military. I have learned a number of new skills and honed many existing ones. If I could do it all over again I would do but join earlier in my life. No day is the same!A once in a lifetime experience.
Pros
A number of benefits packages, pension and job satisfaction
Cons
Anti social hours, scarifices made detrimental to family life
Stressful environment
Detective Constable (Current Employee) –  Hillingdon25 July 2018
Very stressful environment with not great work/life balance. Long unplanned hours. Will have working days/hours changed at short notice.
This is not a great environment if you have family/children due to the hours and shift changes.

Great people you work with and you can gain a variety of skills.
Cons
Long unpredictable hours
Good
Constable (Current Employee) –  Wandsworth, Greater London30 December 2018
a fantastic career with great benefits if you can manage the ratio between work and personal life effectively. requires inner strength in a lot of situations. nor recommended for those who feel uneasy in a heated situation.
Good career
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London13 December 2018
This is a good career with fantastic opportunities to specialise and develop if you are hardworking and willing to work shifts.
The salary and benefits are very competitive.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Shift work
Friendly environment
Garage Hand / Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hillingdon4 November 2018
Travelled between various station throughout the borough, cleaning and maintaining vehicles to ensure they were suitable and roadworthy.
Friendly colleagues and management.
Stressful
Police Constable (Current Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames, Greater London11 October 2018
The only positive is work colleagues . Poor shift pattern and SLT do not care about lower ranks especially police officers. Very outdated IT systems and equipment.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Poor shift pattern, no leadership, poor pay
Self employed
Freelance Interpreter and Translator (Former Employee) –  various7 June 2018
I was freelance interpreter for Met and the pay and treatment I received was great. However, work-life balance is hard to achieve because of non-predictability of work hours.
For me was until all the interview are over. This means that I had to wit for all relevant parties, for example duty solicitor, to arrive before the interview begins and depending on how complex the case was this could go on for hours even the whole night.
Pros
Good pay rate
Cons
Non-predictable hours
Best experience
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Croydon18 June 2018
I always wanted to join the police since a kid so as soon as the opportunity to apply arrived I couldn’t wait to start the process.
I enjoyed the 18 week training course and learnt so much from the amazing instructors.
Once on borough training continues and if your willing to put in the time you can learn so much from your colleagues and senior members of staff.
Pros
Exciting
Cons
Shifts
Great place to work overall - job is what you make it
Police staff (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London2 June 2018
Something different every day... great people to work with, supportive colleagues. Management are tired and more flaky the more senior they are !! Lack of strong leadership with firm decision making skills.
Focus on change rather than improvement sometimes “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” should be adopted rather than change is always positive ......
Pros
Good culture. Benefits.
Cons
Lack of support and supervision

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Metropolitan Police. Our community is ready to answer.