Metropolitan Police Employee Reviews

Fantastic Environment
Infrastructure Project Manager (Former Employee) –  London21 May 2018
The Met Police provided opportunities and challenges which helped my personal development and motivation. It was and probably is a rewarding place to work.
A Great Career
Police Sergeant (Former Employee) –  London20 May 2018
A fulfilling and challenging career with may opportunities to enhance you status , experience , income.
I retired as a Sergeant , and although most of my career was in the Traffic Departments i ended my career as a Counter Terrorist Firearms Officer.
Pros
Great opportunities
Cons
Long Hours, cancelled res days poor life balance
it was fun and a good experience
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Gravesend, Kent6 May 2018
it was good to do work experience at the metropolitan police training centre it was a good experience.

it was good because you got to be involved with the police and get to know what they do on a daily basis.
Pros
good experience
31 years
(MPS) - Serving Police Officer (Constable) (Former Employee) –  Hendon1 May 2018
A typical day could be anything. Nothing to major incident.
I learned never to take anything for granted.
Management - Mostly over promoted failures.
Culture of just keeping ones head above water.
Hardest part of the job - going home thinking you have made a difference.
Most enjoyable part-Getting home after each shift in one piece.
Overall Summery
Police Community Support Officer (PCSO) (Current Employee) –  London28 April 2018
Varied work no day is the same
Learned to think and act on the spot as come across different incidents every time.
tough to assess the management as organization is stretched
Can be fun if in a good team
Long hours, language barriers no career prospects
Most enjoyable part meeting and speaking to the public in all walks of life.
Pros
free bus travel
Public Sector!
Detective Constable (Former Employee) –  London24 April 2018
working public sector can be disheartening. Management is poor as the organisation is so big. You are one tiny piece of a huge organisation and so can get lost. money has been tightening and opportunities limited. hard to progress and takes a long time to move roles or promote.
N/a
Detective (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London15 April 2018
Due to an office move I have a 2.5 hour commute each way and this on top of extended working periods away from home mean this is no longer the job for me
Pros
Lots of overtime if you want it
Cons
Long Commute
My experience of The MET
Intelligence Officer (Current Employee) –  Cobalt Square8 April 2018
Being a Police Officer has been the most rewarding experiences of my life. Being an officer requires following strict protocol and proceedures but everyday is different. I love the need to think on your feet and deal with intense real life crisis, it has made me a very well rounded, strong, hardworking individual. I have recently moved into a Central intelligence role from being a dedicated Ward Officer responsible for managing an area. I currently deal in the real time 24/7 Intelligence unit where we assist the entire organisation with analysing data, sharing necessary information and fast time research for serious crime.

I have learned how to continue to look at the big picture, work under extreme pressure and be creative when the odds are against you.

I have found the mangement in the MET to be made up of brilliant individuals who are overworked and under imense pressure. I greatly respected my management however I did not get the time and attention to detail that I needed at times due to the entire organisation being so stretched of resource
The positive side of the management failure is that I learned to manage myself.

The most difficult part of the job has been trying to manage demading circumstances and heavy responsability with little resources to do the job well.The most enjoyable part of the job are the moments when you have genuinely helped someone or dealt with a crime in w thorough and successful manner.
Pros
Interesting, challenging, rewarding
Cons
No work life balance, no resources
Great work experience and variety of roles to choose from
Police Constable (Former Employee) –  London19 March 2018
I enjoyed my 30 years with the Metropolitan Police and got a lot of job satisfaction from my various roles. The organisation encouraged promotion and self-development. My line management were very supportive.
The police service
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  London9 March 2018
The police have lost their humanity, empathy and sympathy... Alway moaning about cuts yet other front line services are been reduced.....culture of bullying
Good team ethic
Police Constable (Former Employee) –  London7 March 2018
Daily routine can Valery. I have learned a lot management were fantastic. Work ethic needs to be maintained. My team mates were the best always had you back in some frightening situations and vice versa.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Never know when youre going home
productive
Traffic Warden (Former Employee) –  Kensington and Chelsea, Greater London6 March 2018
I learnt to work well independently and the importance of attention to detail.
There was always someone to give you advice.
The hardest part was working in bad weather.
Pros
subsidised meals
Cons
working in bad weather
Enjoyable
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Sidcup, Greater London5 March 2018
This was the line of work i wanted to work in. Originally wanted an admin position to eventually apply for a permanent position. Just a shame jobs being outsourced to volunteers. Was told i had to volunteer for a year which ended up being 18 months
Pros
Met lovely people
Cons
No option for permanent job
My review
Designated Detention Officer (Current Employee) –  Barking and Dagenham, Greater London4 March 2018
DDOs play a vital role in the smooth running of our custody suites. You’ll support the Custody Sergeant in dealing with detainees that walk through our doors, with the collective aim to provide a safe custody environment in which the rights and entitlements of those detained are protected. Detainees may be facing the most difficult day of their lives when you meet them, and part of our role is to enable access to the necessary support services that may provide a lifeline to somebody in need.

No two days are the same, but on an average day you can expect to:

Input the details of detainees into our electronic custody system.
Maintain system logs in respect of activities throughout a detainee’s time in custody.
Cell visits and monitoring, dealing with calls for attention from detainees.
Taking fingerprints and footwear impressions of detainees.
Drug testing procedures with detainees.
Collection of non-intimate samples with or without detainee consent.
Fielding of telephone calls from those who need access to the custody suite or detainees eg. health-care professionals, solicitors, other MPS employees etc.
Supporting detainees with general welfare duties.
Arranging and delivering meals to detainees, paying regard to specific dietary requirements.
Attending court and providing evidence when required.
Providing assurance that calls are maintained and presentable for use by the next detainee.

You will work as part of a team, under the supervision of a Custody Sergeant. You’ll give each other support, and work as a family
  more... to ensure the smooth running of the custody suite. When the going gets particularly tough, you’ll appreciate the team camaraderie that makes working in this environment so unique.

Being a DDO isn’t easy, but if you can do all of the above and still shrug off your experiences at the end of the day, you’ll be rewarded with an immensely satisfying job that’s never dull, as well as the opportunity to make a real difference to the community and London itself.
Do you have a say in where and when you work?

We operate 24/7, 365 days of the year, so you will work to a shift pattern. We work to one shift pattern across the custody suites, where you’ll work 12 hour shifts with rest days. The typical shift pattern looks as follows:
Pros
Long rest days
Cons
Long hours/ shift work
Very challenging company to work for
Designated Detention Officer (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London27 February 2018
My role as a detention officer is very varied and dynamic, no two days are the same.
The custody environment can be both challenging and tense and on occasion dangerous but as my job is primarily to ensure the welfare and wellbeing of the people detained it can also be rewarding.
Pros
Great team to work with
Cons
Challenging and can be rewarding
Detective Constable (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London27 February 2018
Challenging and can be rewarding but the organisation is now under constant change, much of this does not make the junior ranks job any easier and with the lack of a meaningful pay rise in 7 years, it must be job that you really want to do.
A typical Day
Police Constable (Former Employee) –  London26 February 2018
Each day was varied, you learned early on how to deal with numerous situations.
It was both and exciting job, but at the same time a frustrating job, overall all i am very proud to have served in the Police Service and learned a great deal
Pros
Salary
Cons
paperwork
Varied but demanding
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London23 February 2018
I have been in the police for 10 years and have had a variety of roles. It can be exciting at time buts also can be difficult to balance a work and home life balance.
demanding & very different jobs
Executive Officer (Civil Staff) (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London22 February 2018
Various Executive Office jobs within the Civilian Staff - Met Police Service.
I was a manager of up to 25 staff for over 20 years dealing with varying crimes & cases.
over worked
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  London21 February 2018
a very much mans world, departments have down sized making and putting far too much work load on staff. i need a change hence i am looking for something differnt.
Pros
different work every day
Cons
overworked

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Metropolitan Police. Our community is ready to answer.