Metropolitan Police Employee Reviews

Administration Officer (Former Employee) –  vauxhall, london, Greater London26 September 2018
responding to various emails from Pension related companies and schemes. Both national and international. This depends on where the Officer is relocating to.

checking pay grades on database in regards to transferrable pension and telephone conversations.
Pros
Good short term experience
Cons
Contract based
Great Company to work for
Executive Officer (Current Employee) –  Windsor Castle19 September 2018
Busy working environment, Enthusiastic culture and great
company to work for.

Very supportive Equality Diverse Inclusive Company.

Good benefits and training.
No two days are the same
Detective Constable (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London10 September 2018
The job is rewarding and you have to be prepared to put in the work. Not the best work life balance however. Great colleagues who will support you and good team work.
Pros
free travel
Cons
long hours and weekend work
A great place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hammersmith23 August 2018
A typical day included answering phone call, going to the custody suite for records and archiving. A very close knit community with excellent social events.
Great experince
Special Constable (Former Employee) –  London20 August 2018
Great experience, however no work life balance. Special constables not fully appreciated for volunteering their free time. Learn great life skills and good for learning about UK laws.
Pros
Great experience
Cons
Work life balance
Variety of jobs
Team Leader I (Current Employee) –  South West London, Greater London9 August 2018
In my current position as Team Leader for the Metropolitan Police, I manage numerous departments that support the Operational Police Staff in order for them to do their job.
Varied and challenging
Deputy Facilities Manager (Former Employee) –  London2 August 2018
Varied and challenging every day, no two days are ever the same, progression is very difficult though as with all civil service roles and often requires substantial changes to working location to break through the next ceiling.
fools gold
Constable (Former Employee) –  London31 July 2018
Such a shame- I went in with the best intention, but was left soul searching. Such a fantastic job in so many ways, but the good times and camaraderie lull you into a false sense of security. You're often cornered into roles you don't want, at times that don't suit and into teams you don't know. There is next to no thought into your work life balance and career objectives. It's physically and emotionally demanding and you're often left exhausted, with no support. The workplace hierarchy is still trapped in the seventies and the uniforms that are crafted to protect you and the public aren't fitted. The list really goes on... be so so sure before you commit.
Stressful environment
Detective Constable (Current Employee) –  Hillingdon25 July 2018
Very stressful environment with not great work/life balance. Long unplanned hours. Will have working days/hours changed at short notice.
This is not a great environment if you have family/children due to the hours and shift changes.

Great people you work with and you can gain a variety of skills.
Cons
Long unpredictable hours
Loved this job
Administration Officer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London17 July 2018
Had an amazing few years working for the Metropolitan Police Service. Great community with excellent structures. Would work for the Met in a heart beat.
Pros
great comoradery
Cons

Want to know more about Metropolitan Police?

Ask a question
Lost direction
Police Constable (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London13 July 2018
After nearly a decade it's time for a change.
The Metropolitan Police as a result of significant budget cuts has had to change dramatically.
These changes are in the wrong direction and I know longer feel the Organisation reflects what it's core values should be and I know longer feel that I can represent the company.
Pros
Stability
Cons
Work life balance, pay and working conditions
Good workplace.
Volunteer Police Cadet (Former Employee) –  London12 July 2018
a typical day at work is learning about the law and how we would react when we see a crime, we also went camping and I enjoyed that most about the job.
Pros
free food
Cons
indoors for too long
Completion of Pensionable Service
Police Detective - Accredited Investigator (Former Employee) –  London & various boroughs,specialist units29 June 2018
I have thoroughly enjoyed my time as a police officer and during this time period worked with some dedicated and professional people.
the camaraderie is second only to the military. I have learned a number of new skills and honed many existing ones. If I could do it all over again I would do but join earlier in my life. No day is the same!A once in a lifetime experience.
Pros
A number of benefits packages, pension and job satisfaction
Cons
Anti social hours, scarifices made detrimental to family life
Serious and boring workplace
Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Holborn, Greater London26 June 2018
Very strict manangement with no joy at all. Any conversation was frowned upon . Very boring repetative work leaving you feeling drained and lifeless. Management treated us like machines not people.
Fantastic Place to Work
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Westminster23 June 2018
Specialist Operations SO 17 Palace of Westminster Police services for over 16yrs. Search and screen trained to NVQ Level 2 in X-Ray and full physical and full fish Eye trained in under vehicle searching and digital screening of all vehicle entering the parliamentary estate Respond to incidents and complete all necessary documentation Monitored and authorised entrance and departure of vehicles, cargo trucks and visitors. Detected suspicious activities and watched for criminal acts and rule infractions. Monitored and authorised entrance and departure of employees and visitors. Circulated among visitors, customers and employees to preserve order and protect property. Monitored and reported suspicious activities to local authorities. Operated detecting devices to screen individuals and prevent passage of prohibited articles into restricted areas. Denied entrance to the building to unauthorised persons.
Pros
Reliable & Alert
Best experience
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Croydon18 June 2018
I always wanted to join the police since a kid so as soon as the opportunity to apply arrived I couldn’t wait to start the process.
I enjoyed the 18 week training course and learnt so much from the amazing instructors.
Once on borough training continues and if your willing to put in the time you can learn so much from your colleagues and senior members of staff.
Pros
Exciting
Cons
Shifts
Good
Legal Administrator (Former Employee) –  Holborn, Greater London15 June 2018
Good company to work for. I brought my experience to the company and utilised it but did a NVQ3 in Business Administration and learnt the Health and Safety Executive and learnt the Health and Safety Act so could risk assess an area. I must say nothing phrased me, I work efficiently and accurately.
Pros
benefits good
Self employed
Freelance Interpreter and Translator (Former Employee) –  various7 June 2018
I was freelance interpreter for Met and the pay and treatment I received was great. However, work-life balance is hard to achieve because of non-predictability of work hours.
For me was until all the interview are over. This means that I had to wit for all relevant parties, for example duty solicitor, to arrive before the interview begins and depending on how complex the case was this could go on for hours even the whole night.
Pros
Good pay rate
Cons
Non-predictable hours
Great place to work overall - job is what you make it
Police staff (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London2 June 2018
Something different every day... great people to work with, supportive colleagues. Management are tired and more flaky the more senior they are !! Lack of strong leadership with firm decision making skills.
Focus on change rather than improvement sometimes “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” should be adopted rather than change is always positive ......
Pros
Good culture. Benefits.
Cons
Lack of support and supervision
Do it for love not money!
Investigator (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London30 May 2018
Constant, poorly managed restructuring in an effort to meet budget cuts. Understaffed with a solid blame culture. Poor work life balance as a consequence of understaffing, excessive overtime in some roles is necessary to get the job done.

Pay and conditions do not reflect risk and responsibilities in some roles.

The very real bonus is being able to make a genuine difference to peoples lives at times when they are most in need of support.
Pros
Making a difference.
Cons
Undervalued at many different levels.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Metropolitan Police. Our community is ready to answer.