Metropolitan Police Employee Reviews

A fresh challenge every day
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Plumstead, Greater London16 January 2018
Not a job for the faint at heart. If you enjoy being challenged by your colleagues, managers and "customers" then this might be the job for you. It is no 9-5 Mon-Fri number either. You will work shifts including nights, at least for the first few years while you learn the ropes. After that, the specialist roles available are too numerous to mention.
Generally speaking the Met is a very good employer to work for. Support for employees is excellent from your line manager upwards.
Pay and pension is not what it used to be but I believe it is still at a reasonable level compared to other jobs.
You will see and do things you never believed possible in the Police and you will make a difference to the local community where you work.
Pros
Pay and Pension. Comradeship
Cons
Often long hours, shift work, being abused!
Depends on department
Police Constable (Former Employee) –  London11 January 2018
Depends on department.

Personally I left the Met as wanted to know what time my shift would end and this could never be guaranteed.

There are many different departments withing the Met meaning that the job is varied.
Im only a Cadet and it improved my confidence
Metropolitan Police Volunteer Police Cadets (Current Employee) –  Hounslow9 January 2018
Being a part of the Metropolitan Police cadets has had a massive influence on my life, it is something I hope to get into in the future and if I had a question there the staff could answer it because they are all current serving officers.
Pros
Learn about the police and shows a positive light on the officers
Cons
It does not guarantee a position as a PC when applying for the police
Excellent
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  London5 January 2018
A world renowned and great Police Service. The Metropolitan Police Service is one of the biggest employers of many Londoners and is one of the best employers with and an excellent pension and wage packet for its employees.
Hard but rewarding
Officer (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London1 January 2018
A hard and thankless job.

In recent times numbers have dropped vastly due to the state of the economy and the culture we are breeding in the UK. As a "workforce" most people stand together and get the job done regardless on how much management hold us back.

Awful for family life and work-life balance. The nature of the beast unfortunately.

The hardest part of this relatively easy job is the management. Constantly changing things without notice and expecting everyone to understand the changes regardless of cost or timing.
Great career once upon a time
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  London28 December 2017
I dreamed of being a police officer as a child and for the most part it was a career I loved and am to this day proud of. However, the face of the police has changed. Due to government cuts, this is no longer a lifelong career. Policing models have changed and like most that join to help others and make a difference, this is no longer possible due to the ever increasing work loads. Officers are often forced to answer call after call with no real way to correctly investigate crimes. There is more of a backside covering culture where crimes are often closed without even the most basic levels of investigation. This often frustrated me, but any resistance was futile as this goes deeper than a supervisor or line manager. It is a culture that British policing is now stuck in for the foreseeable future. Officers face allegations, more often than not unfounded, but these allegations will be dragged out for up to and over a year. This causes the officers involved unnecessary stress and does not allow them to do their jobs effectively. The Met does not stand by it's officers, regardless of previous reputation and conduct. Instead it would rather be shown to hand the public and media a head on a platter.
Pros
Rewarding, variety
Cons
Long hours, unsociable shifts, not protected by senior managers, blame culture
I loved the environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London18 December 2017
Working for the Metropolitan police was a very good experience. I loved the environment. I had different roles within the company, everyday was different. I had to deal with lots of queries from the public regarding insurance claims and court dates. I always went out of my way to deal with queries and make sure that the person enquiring was satisfied with the outcome.
Pros
Environment
Cons
Salary
bad experience
Traffic Community Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Kensington and Chelsea, Greater London1 December 2017
I had a bad personal experience whilst working with them, with sustaining and injury which has left me with an injury for life. The force neglected my rights and received no support or value from them. Not a reflect of the force as a whole but i was an unfortunate case.

My responsibilities were dealing with the general public, traffic incidents and crime. the hardest part was dealing with the terrorism attacks that had hit london and i was on front line in protecting the public. However i took pride in my work and was happy to contribute to the country and helping the community.
Cons
abuse from general public
Good job
Detective Constable (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London28 November 2017
It is a great career but only if you know the right people

I’ve worked hard and with passion for many years and never got reckonised for this by the MET

Need a new challenge
Pros
Pay
Cons
Long hours no flexible if you have children
Job satisfacion gained
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  London23 November 2017
Every day was different, from helping lost children to telling people that their loved ones have just been fatally injured in a Road Collision, to creating and armed inner cordon on 2 sieges.And deployed on the streets of civil unrest - Tottenham
Pros
Experience gained professionally
Cons
Job satisfaction
It’s a good workplace
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  London22 November 2017
It’s an okay workplace but I am looking for something new!
I have enjoyed my time here but I am looking for a more work life balance now..............
Pros
Experience
Educatial and fun
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Central north, Islington and Camden21 November 2017
Each day brings a new challenge, both difficult and often enjoyable. Enjoyable when a successful investigation is reached and victims of crime feel satisfied. Challenging at times of testing times such as the Westminster tragedy and losing a valued member of staff
Pros
Each day is different
Cons
Often long hours at shirt notice
Nightmare
Forensic Practitioner (Former Employee) –  London19 November 2017
Morale is at an all time low. Not given the tools to do the job to a high standard. Management care about themselves not the organisation. The infrastructure is not in place to cope with the demand of an ever increasing population.
Pros
Interesting work
Cons
no appreciation
It is what you make it
Investigator (Former Employee) –  London U.K.19 November 2017
Cut backs by the government make doing your work harder and for less money when they refuse your pay rise. Very rewarding work though, you see things and do things no one else sees.
Great and inspiring
Special Constable (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London13 November 2017
Every day is different a great place to work and serve the country helping to make London safer. Dealing with all aspects of life in what is a very difficult world at current.
Pros
Life experience
Cons
long hours lots of paperwork!
Catering Manager/Service Delivery Manager (Former Employee) –  London11 November 2017
Great place and Company to work for. Good salary and other benefits. Typical working day start at 6:30 and finish 15:00. Great time, hard work but great fun and great people.
Pros
Free lunch, 33days holiday, paid sick
Cons
nothing was wrong
large learning curve
Police constable (Former Employee) –  Hackney, Greater London9 November 2017
this is a physically demanding job changing from day to day with the things that you deal with working mainly as a large team at times depending on the size of the task that you are dealing with and also other police services
Pros
london waiting allowance
Interesting
Station Police Community Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Greenwich, Greater London31 October 2017
A job hich is filled with variety and if you dislike being in an office then this is probably a good route to go. The police is often seen as a negative entity but it has a good team ethic which will always make you feel safe
Pros
Uniform to impress the ladies
Cons
May be hated by people
Challenging
Communications Officer (Former Employee) –  London30 October 2017
No day was the same and dealing with different challenges was a daily occurrence. A sense of pride when you have helped someone in a difficult situation but on the other hand you are unable to help everyone.
Very Good Co to work for
Civilian staff (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London22 October 2017
Very busy from the moment you start plenty of support ,training and equipment to enable you to carry out your duties.
The workplace is busy but friendly with help and advice if needed .Due to the nature of the job assisting or aiding the Public in usually the most stressful times of their lives ,having a calm and professional attitude is always a priority .
Pros
Working in a team environment
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Metropolitan Police. Our community is ready to answer.