Metro Bank PLC

Metro Bank PLC Employee Reviews

United Kingdom139 reviews
I love working with the people that I do
I have great relationships with my colleagues in store however I feel as though we are put under a lot of pressure and stress. I personally would like to venture away from a customer based job.
Not what it seems
The worst decision I ever made coming to working here. I didn't stay long, it wasn't for me. To much favouritism and fairness , all smoke and mirrors. Training was dreadful and that's being polite. They have inexperienced managers as leaders which is embarrassing, mixed messages. Our manager was bothered about feeding dogs than speaking to the team. All over the top, no substance.
Really bad experience
Having been there over 12 months I decided to walk out and look for another job. Our manager was awful , not treating people fairly at all. One of the colleagues was set up by her so that he would leave. They don't create fans, company is in a terrible mess, constant bad press and complaints covered up by her.
Unhealthy place to work
I took the job on because I thought it was different. At first things were fine, sure turnover is high but generally speaking it was ok. Then late last year our manager changed and the morale within the team went down hill. Colleagues began to leave and the manger looks down her nose at everyone. I have just resigned without another job because the atmosphere is unbearable and I couldn't wait to get out.The
regional manager encourages her behaviour which just makes it worse. m
Pros
Fun at timea
Cons
Stressful, poor manager. Low morale
terrible environment
they sell you the world on induction and then the reality sinks in. training is poor, management are promoted way beyond there potential and they buy customers effectione by giving them gifts etc. it’s all deceiving and the environment is terrible in places with turnover very high. seriously don’t apply to work here
Pros
Cons
hours, behaviours of management
Brilliant experience
Brilliant experience for those who don’t mind a challenge and opportunity to innovate and improve current processes. This is a new bank and new organisation that requires collaboration and continue stakeholder engagement to deliver on tasks.
Far from AMAZEING - Don't bother.
A typical day at this bank involves pandering to customers that seem not to understand their own finances. Instead of declining a customer, your autonomy is taken away from you and you have to 'bump it up' to a manager to say no, which unnecessarily extends the process and gives the customer the illusion of hope. Dreadful practice.

I learned quite a bit, but unfortunately wasn't offered the chance to progress in my career so I left for something better (i.e. where I am actually respected by management). Managers don't seem to understand what Customer Service Reps do so will manage you unnecessarily about your appearance and manner rather than the quality with which you do your job.

The hardest part of the job is finding time to write 1-2-1s and six-month appraisals. The bank doesn't give you time for this so often you're expected to take it home and write it while you're not being paid, which is offensive.

Couldn't think of anything enjoyable. I moved from one store to another in hopes things would improve but the bank just does not provide any incentive to stay or time to upskill yourself.
Great company
Really great bank to work amazing skills obtained training and development great opportunity to know the team and make new friends and to grown with business
Great for a starting position in the banking world
Like explained in the title, however it wasn't for me. I felt the lack of organisation between management chaotic. Perhaps the position was ruined for me based on the customers rather than the job itself- definitely didn't get paid enough to deal with the abuse you receive.
Good
Good place to work at. Friendly environment, relaxed and very less stressful at job. Competitive work culture and good place for learning and development
Political and individual mentality
It has a big stress on culture and difference from other corporate structures however this looks to me just to be a way of leveraging below market rate pay for staff. Management continually tell you how good you are and how you should not leave as there is a lot to be offered here around training, there isn't. In the management roles they seem to be friendly but in my experience this is just show, I have done work and asked for assistance and this has been turned around to benefit them. I would say join if you want to have a better job on your CV with the short term goal of leaving in a year. otherwise would definitely not recommend
Great company overall.
Metro are a great company to work for.
Sadly had to leave as a result of bullying and harassment by one of the managers.

He made my life an absolute misery.
Great Culture
A great place to work if you enjoy working as a team with other colleagues. You get many opportunities to grow and develop yourself and learn great skills.
Great bank for customers but not for employees
I have been working in metrobank for more than 3 years. The bank is perhaps the best bank when it comes to customer service however the same cannot be said not the for the employees . My former Managers never liked to take responsibility and used to put the blame on his colleagues as he was too “afraid" of the higher ups and forced CSRs to take the blame. As far as career progress is concerned it’s not what you know its who you know if you have the backing of your manager or ROM then you can literally go anywhere you want. The organisation concentrates more on posting stories on yammer then hard work and dedication. Interviews are really biased here before the interviews are even held hiring directors or manager already knows who would get the job it's just a matter of showing to others that they are following process. On the experienced CSRs work load is usually dumped by LBMs or local directors and when at times it is not done poor colleague is taken into a room and threatened that their grade will be affected. I have at the end of these cases several times and just makes me regret being in such as toxic environment
Pros
Gives you qualification
Cons
Hire people who know what they are doing
Best workplace ever
Culture is amazing and people are very supportive of each other. The environment is friendly and conducive and there are lots of training. There is also lots of opportunities to progress.
Somewhat like a youth club
I worked at the call centres and you’ll find that the job makes you feel like you’re back in college.
Everyone is very young which is nice for entry level applicants who want to gain experience but job culture takes you back to high school.

Management are not united and their is a heavy emphasis on Meeting unrealistic time targets.

The job is promoted as if their are good promotional opportunities but this is not the case and management themselves will agree with this. When the company was new this was the case, however it is not a distant memory and they basically lie in the interview process
Best job I've ever had
Really good place to work. they were extremely supportive and gave you really good shift times so you felt like you could still have a life outside of work. The people are the friendliest I've ever worked with and I wish I could have stayed longer but I went to university. A lot of opportunities not progress and be recognised for your hard work.
Can be a rewarding to work at times but very stressful.
My current role is shift based, the earliest shift starts at 8am and finishes at 16:30 pm, with the latest shift starting at 11:30 am till 8pm. The role allows you to gain fantastic experience and knowledge within the financial crime world. You have a vast amount of exposer to a lot of tasks in which you have a great insight into the financial crime world. You will have to use a lot different programs in order to complete your day to day tasks, such as SIRA, CIFAS, Equfax and other internal programs. It can be a joy to work at but due to the short amount of staff and high workloads, it can become stressful. The experienced staff are seen as point of bump ups and often given high volumes of responsibility such as training and guiding the new members but ensuring you complete your own work.
Good experience in finance and customer service
Metro Bank is focused on providing the best customer service they can, and are eager to help their employees learn and develop in order to do so. They are supportive of their staff and advancement opportunities in the company are always available.
Excellent work culture!
Lot of flexibility and great company culture! Definitely recommend to join. Great talent of people especially working within Agile transformation here.
Good culture
Metro bank is a good platform to move onto somewhere better, they have a great internal culture and pride themselves on giving great customer service which can really improve your customer interaction skills. They provide you with all the training so experience isn't really necessary however advancement is a slow process.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Metro Bank PLC. Our community is ready to answer.