Merseyside Police

Merseyside Police Employee Reviews

United Kingdom81 reviews
Excellent place to work and I would highly recommend anyone wishing to join whether this be as a member of Police Staff or as a Police Officer. Both roles are very rewarding.
Secure job for 30 years.
Opportunities for promotion and to move to many different departments. Good pension. Full training given in each department.

Advanced driving qualifications.

Armed response required to have high fitness levels. Frequent

medicals including eye and hearing sight tests, blood pressure etc
Depending on the department I worked for, no two days were ever the same. My experience was broad and I attained the rank of Inspector, which meant I had much responsibility at times. The culture was collaborative and I learned almost everything I now know whilst doing this job. Report writing was inevitable and the requirement to be accurate and complete in answering questions was a necessity. The hardest part of the job was dealing with some of the scenes I have needed to manage and dealing with fatalities was always a difficult thing to do. This however, gave me a skill for interacting with people at the worst of times, which has assisted in the care industry.
Enjoyable occupation which can be stressful and demanding especially with home life. No longer a career, more of a stepping stone onto other things unless you intend to go through the ranks.
I am proud to have served in Merseyside Police. A great team, rewarding work and good leaders who come from the ranks. You get to stick it to the bad guys (mostly) and there's a huge range of roles. It's not for the faint hearted and I would recommend any prospective candidate does some soul searching before applying. Every team needs strong, committed and brave staff. There isn't space for the workshy or the timid (unfortunately). That said, if you don't know how you'd respond to a dangerous situation, you will get the training and team support to get out there and own it. Go for it. It's more than just a job.
I have worked for Merseyside Police for over 30 years and have had a great experience. I've seen the force evolve from the early days of my employment to the modern forward thinking and very effective organisation it is today. Anyone starting with Merseyside Police today has a lot of opportunities available to them and they will always be supported in their endeavours. The job is challenging and has moments of high stress, but overall it's very satisfying knowing you're making a difference to peoples lives
Police cadet first. Did policing, community service. Represented the Merseyside police cadets in athletics, field events, swimming, lifesaving.
Went to Bruche for 10 weeks course then posted to different stations. Policing the streets.
A long time ago when I originally joined it was a good place to work, you could trust your colleagues and making life long friends was part of the process. Now it is run by politically correct robots who fear complaints from gender xyz more than helping colleagues and implementing common sense procedures. DO NOT TRUST ANYONE! Remember this and you may be ok, if your lucky or make friends with enough of the senior officers. Children with university degrees order experienced officers to complete mundane tasks and ignore the decades of experience gained by good honest, hardworking constables, to further their career. Its a dangerous job with no rewards, assaults on staff and officers are a regular occurrence, look after yourself as no one else will.
A retired Police officer with 30 years’ service that has included quality investigative experience, most recently finished my career working within the Professional Standards Department. I have also benefitted from background experience within the CID, Financial Investigation and Historical Abuse, Fraud Squad and four years as a uniformed officer.
Certain departments drive a Clique type inclusion. If you don't fit the mould they will do anything they can to force you out.
Manipulation of others to turn against you.

Almost resulted in my taking my own life
Only good thing within the police was meeting new people and the colleagues you work with.

You're not seen as a colleague with feeling you're only seen as a number. You get told what to do and when to do it. No give and take.

You meet plenty of head working people who state they're unable to stay on shift for various reason. Which is often then left to the people without children.

The money is about the only decent thing when yoube been in the job a few years.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Long hour with lack of support
Worked here for 11 years and hated it. Supervision bullied and were very unsupportive. Huge workload constant cancelled rest days. Only plus was the other officers. Would not advise to work here. I transfered to merseyside and really regretted it.
Pros
Cons
Bullying
I learned a lot of new skills in this role but a lot of the other members were on a bit of a power trip. It was very male dominated and not very welcoming
Great team working environment but can be stressful & challenging. Most of the supervision were good leaders & tried to consider home life balance ut at times the pressures of the role didn't help this.
Pros
Pension
Cons
Unsociable hours
Long hard hours. No thanks. Management do not help with much. People at the top like to come up with new ideas, implement them and when it all goes wrong - leave.
I had a very busy workload.
I enjoyed the discipline

Not enough time in the day to do everything I needed

Very interesting

Loved the way we worked together as a team

I had a few different jobs learned a lot about HR and community relations.

Some managers were good and some were not
Pros
Some of the managers were great to work for
Cons
Not enough help when learning a new job
My role was to provide a well being session for each officer and civilian member of staff working under extremely stressful conditions and to report back to the DCI on conclusion.
Policing is an extremely challenging yet rewarding occupation. The job offers one the opportunity to make a difference, to help members of the public at times of crisis.
Pros
Public Service
Cons
Unsociable working hours
As a special i was a volunteer, but could value thier worth, alongside regulars they were incredible and felt valued. As a comany struggling with cuts, cuts and more cuts...they do a fine job, with some brilliant people inluding managment on board.
Staff set in their ways, not will to go progress forward with new ideas, very slow pace of work.
Some departments are very unorganised and unprofessional
Pros
Flexi
Cons
poor wages
I worked at Merseyside Police for 30 years and they are an excellent organisation to work for. Very staff focused and leaders in diversity.

Excellent opportunities for development
Pros
Many
Cons
You get out what you put in