Mersey Care NHS Foundation Trust

Mersey Care NHS Foundation Trust Employee Reviews

United Kingdom50 reviews
I worked as part of a friendly and cooperative social work team within the hospital. I was able to maintain knowledge of my field through training courses and I was also funded for additional trading in CBT and counselling. I enjoyed the work for over 30 years.

The most difficult part of the job was leaving it in October 2019.
I worked in a secure forensic mental health unit which was dominated by the men and the HCA culture which made introduction Psychosocial interventions a challenge. Female nurses need to be strong characters to survive and promotions where mostly organised on the golf course!
Stressful job understaffed but supportive lots of good support and opportunity for overtime. Lots of roles across different sites with weekend enhancements
As a employee of the trust I think the just and fair culture is a good way to learn the principles of care.
However the vision set for the future requires investment and attention to a diverse population.
I initially loved my job at merseycare but was moved to a newly developing team even though there was no clear role or job plan for me there. I spent about 6 months sat about twiddling my thumbs with nothing to do as a result. In the end I had to leave.
Nepotism is rife. Toxic working culture and top heavy management. Stuck in the past - secure unit philosophy permeates the whole place. Some really great people there but undermined by a nasty corporate culture combined with old school secure unit attitudes: Patients seen as either something to make money from or something to be locked up.
Community Division CQC inspection findings good an improvement on previous inspection
Well led

Promoting Just and Fair Learning Culture

Management oversight, bottom up
Book annual leave for hospital appointments if you require time off, otherwise it goes on your sick record, also make sure you check wage slips as they underplayed me for about 11 months, when I queried this I was fobbed off until I spoke to HR myself.Patient lead which means staff come 2nd best.
The management in my directorate are clueless. "Basil Fawlty", would make a more effective manager!

Lots of form filling, huge numbers of 9-4 with 9-3.30 on Fridays pen pushers.
Mersey care is the best place to work in the world. Management are quite understanding and try to help were necessary. You can achieve what you want to achieve through Mersey care.
Pros
Money
Cons
Happy long hours
New provider jury still out nothing much has changed. Job role still the same some concerns around job security. I update my skills all the time.do not have anything to do with management. Work plavpce culture is good have built up a good working relationship with other members of MDT. I enjoy my role
Pros
Same
Cons
Same
A negative vindictive culture where managers profess to have no knowledge of what goes on on the “shop floor” despite being repeatedly told by staff. When something goes wrong they have a combination of how did this happen (surprise) and who is to blame. Unless it’s a consultant doctor in which case no mater how many staff are injured by a decision they make it gets glossed over and forgotten. It’s a wonder they don’t make the press more often
Pros
They pay you
Cons
The seldom pay you correctly
managing admin team, ordering of stationery, stores orders, furniture.

booking in patients for inpatients stay.

Outpatient appointments, line manager for admin team
Pros
staff I worked with
Cons
volume of work
Secure organisation, but development seemed limited to preferred people. Excellent benefits. Less development than I had hoped for. Good workplace culture
Pros
Excellent annual leave
Cons
Regular shifting across NHS
Assist a service user with everyday life, finances, medications, activities and cooking etc. Keep up to date and accurate daily notes of days activities. Management fighting between CQC and trusts policies. You needed good sense of humour and good people skills, you need to stay calm and react to situations rationally and without prejudice. Your there to help and not judge.
Pros
Great team with professional attitude.
Cons
Restrictions by CQC
Good place to work, pension, meals provided, good holidays good wage. Much better than most private sector jobs. The training is only in house they won’t fund NVQs but they train you what you need to do the job. Working with offenders with learning disabilities can have its challenges but as long as you are friendly, respectful, professional and positive in your approach you should have no issues. Not every staff I worked with had this approach, some felt they needed to always show the patients they were ‘in charge’ and usually ended up being attacked often by the patients with this approach. Shame it is closing down I really enjoyed my time there apart from a few bad apples (support staff) but the most part a good team very supportive of each other. Managers fine, no problems with them.
Pros
Pension, holidays, wage above average
Cons
Long shifts, some support staff
typical day of caring for clients with mental health issues understanding there needs from day to day.building an relationship of trust. activities with the clients
Great learning environment strength in numbers and very experienced colleagues. There needs to be better staffing levels and they need to re introduce the high Secure lead payment, as some staff receive this and new starters dont
Pros
Support
Cons
Pay
Good place to work with good job prospects. Days can be long as a support worker but with shift rotation of one week working Mon, Tues Sat Sun and then Wed, Thurs, Fri the next they are short weeks.
Pros
Enhancement prospects and 3 day working week on the wards
Cons
Long shifts
The Ward based teams are generally good teams ,although some people are inexperienced in working in this environment. The wards usually run well and to plan . On the very positive side the reviews from CFC are excellent.
Pros
Great AL entitlement
Cons
My daily tasks vary from working on patient ward area's to working in the main hospital kitchen or the hospital laundry. Further tasks when required can also involve portering. A nice environment to work in.
Pros
Lunch
Cons
None really.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mersey Care NHS Foundation Trust. Our community is ready to answer.
Mersey Care NHS Foundation Trust Reviews by Location