Play YouTube video button

Mental Health Care Employee Reviews

United Kingdom70 reviews
Featured review
Mental Health Care selected this as a representative review
Having been working for MHC for approx 5 years now, I have had a very positive experience. Within my time in MHC I have progressed from being a support worker to a team leader. I have had excellent support of management whilst progressing in my role. I am always helped and guided when ever it is needed. I have received a great training program and it's always kept up to date. I have been given the opportunity to complete my Level 3 Health and Social care with the hope of going forward and doing my Level 5. Over all a great company to work for.
Pros
Supportive, flexible, annual leave entitlement.
19 September 2019
We appreciate you taking the time to leave feedback. It is great to hear you have had a positive experience with MHC over your 5 years with us and have been supported to progress in your career. Personal growth for colleagues is very important to us! We wish you a long and rewarding career with us.

Thank you for everything you do.
Look at the number of hospital managers that have been got rid of over the last couple of years, the place does not help its managers , it just blames them.
Hardest part of job is living in a constant state of who is next
Pros
Free food
Cons
blame culture, fear of who is is next on chopping block
I enjoyed my time with MHC. I worked for a year and a half with this company. I worked in numerous roles and was also given good feedback from managers and other visiting professionals. I couldn’t be more thankful to management within this company they supported wholeheartedly. People are supported to progress and positions become available for advancements and if you are capable you will be supported into those advanced positions . I am thankful to this company for a fresh start in adult care and I enjoy working on bank as and when I can.
5 May 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your 4* review, your comments in relation to management and progression are a pleasure to read and we thank you for your commitment to MHC. Wishing you the best of luck in your future career!
Worked for MHC for over 6 months now, all training was provided even with years of previous care experience. Management is very good here, understanding and holidays taken whenever possible. Progression is always pushed for. Currently applying for care co-ordinator role. Residents are changeling and there is MAPA used as physically violence is quite high, but you will be given. MAPA training and training and if you aren't or not confident enough you won't be asked to do it.
5 May 2020
Thank you for leaving us your recent 4* review, it’s great to hear your feedback as a new #teamMHC member. We wish you every success in your role!
BIG BULLYING culture from high up managers to team leaders - never dealt with properly just all brushed under the carpet - residents are CASH COWS - not people, there is no care. Staff treated BADLY work for years and no appreciation of their skills and experience - lots of AGENCY staff getting paid double!
why would you do that

why don't they pay great hard working staff PROPERLY and keep them???

NOT A NICE PLACE TO WORK
Pros
Cons
avoid
5 May 2020
We acknowledge you feel strongly about the reasons you have outlined, we do not tolerate bullying of any staff member and there are various ways in which staff can raise their concerns i.e. Speak Up Guardian, Whistleblowing policy as well as via the Workforce Team. If you wish to discuss your concerns further, please contact us Workforce@mhc-uk.com or alternatively call us on 01824 572 020.
Ive nursed for 20 years and i can say mhc is an employer who doesn't care about its staff. Poor pay 8.65 for nights getting assaulted by patients . So many fulltime staff leaving and staff nurses leaving. Working with agency staff who arnt fully mappa trained. No ppe given in coronavirus outbreak. No sick pay if you get coronavirus
5 May 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your review, we’re sorry to hear your experience of working at MHC has been unsatisfactory. Some of our services at times can be a challenging environment, and create situations which are difficult, however we encourage all staff to utilise their skills and knowledge as well as the individual’s personal plan to manage these situations effectively.
We have been and are continuing to follow the government guidance in relation to the use of PPE.
It's the same as most other Support Worker roles. If you have worked in mentla healthcare in the past you probably already know what it's like. Sometimes the work can get lonely if you're working without other staff.
12 March 2020
Thank you for your recent 3 star review. May we take this opportunity to pass on our sincere thanks for your continued contribution as a Support Worker. We wish you a long and successful future with us.
I found the role very rewards and I was happy to support the clients. The company was undergoing management changes which had a negative effect on the ground floor staff. The ramification was a workplace culture that was very 'clicky' which I felt had a detrimental effect of the patients.
12 March 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback, we are thrilled you have left us a 4 star rating. It is great to hear you had a positive experience during your time at Newton House and enjoyed the role and its rewards.
MHC strive to create positive working cultures across all of our services. Change is carefully communicated with patients and colleagues in mind to minimise anxieties and disruption. Apologies you didn't feel this was the case. If you would like to discuss this further please contact our Speak up Guardian – Ryan Sandick, or the MHC Quality Team on 01824 790600, in confidence.
Great staffs, great salary, pays on time and possible progression opportunities.
Excellent training opportunities to equip potential employees. Lovely facility.
17 December 2019
Thank you for your recent review, we’re delighted to hear your positive comments in relation to staff, salary and the learning & development opportunities at MHC. We are very grateful for the duties carried out by Support Workers and wish you every success in your role.
Highly pressured job for minimum wage, after nearly 5 years of service and being emotionally bullied by an unfit manager it was time to leave. Wage was lowered twice in the time I was there, no career progression from support worker level unless you'd like to be a nurse. Attacked at least 50 times with no support after 5pm when office staff go home, only support would be from unsuitable underpaid staff,pay peanuts get monkies
17 December 2019
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your review, and for your commitment to working at MHC for 5 years. We have taken your comments on board, and although alarmed by some of them, others don’t appear to be correct.

As a priority, we are concerned that you feel you have been bullied as a Support Worker. MHC promote and encourage all individuals to progress in their career, by offering internal job opportunities such as Keyworker Co-ordinator and Team Leader roles, and ensuring regular supervisions are carried out to support and monitor individuals’ progress. I’m sorry if you feel these opportunities have been restricted from you and if your experience does not represent what we stand for.

With regards to the rate of pay being lowered twice during your time at MHC, we reviewed and increased this in July 2019, and we take pride in being an employer within the care sector who pay above the national minimum wage.

Please voice your concerns (in confidence if you wish) to either our Speak up Guardian – Ryan Sandick, or the MHC Quality Team on 01824 790600. We would like to investigate your experiences further and in more detail so we can address the issues and prevent future negative experiences occurring.
One of the worse places I have ever worked constant turnover of staff which is including the floor staff and management
Management are vile bullies who speak to staff and residents with disrespect and insults like you are the dirt on the bottom of their shoes. If you don’t want to end up signed off sick with mental health issues and low self esteem due to management I highly advise you not to apply here. The staff are lovely but management is awful vile human being.
21 November 2019
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback, we acknowledge you feel strongly about the issues you have experienced whilst working at MHC and your feedback has been received gratefully.

MHC support all individuals in optimising their potential and empower them to achieve their goals, this includes all service users and colleagues. We are sorry you feel your experience with us does not represent this.

We are unnerved by some of your comments regarding a lack of respect and bullying culture from management at MHC and as a result, this having an effect on your mental health. We would very much like to discuss your concerns further and in more detail, to ensure your future experience is a more positive one. Please contact us, in confidence if you wish, to communicate with our Speak up guardian, Ryan Sandick or MHC Quality Team on 01824 790600.
Worked for MHC for a number of years and always been proud of that until recently. Now there is a bullying culture from management as well as a culture of blame . For a company that prides itself on care it has very little care for its staff , it seems that they are more interested in making money that actual care of residents or staff
11 November 2019
Thank you for your recent review and for serving a number of years working for MHC. We’re sorry to hear that your experience of working for MHC has recently become a negative one. We pride ourselves in delivering excellent quality of care for residents and patients, but also in empowering the individuals who help us achieve this and ensuring they reach their personal goals.

Your feedback is important to us and we would like to discuss your experience in more detail, please contact our Speak Up Guardian Ryan Sandick or MHC Quality Team, in confidence on 01824 790600.
I have been working for the company over 10 years there have been alot of changes over the years, the pay rate isnt good enough for what we do as being support workers and has never kept up with cost of living, plus having extra responsibilities, under staffed and current staff over worked there are no are bonuses of any kind, no sick pay,no appreciation from management , get £15 voucher at christmas to get a bog standard meal where management have banquets, when you have all day training no food is provided and they is only have a over priced venting machine,
11 November 2019
Firstly, thank you for your recent feedback, and for your commitment to working within MHC for 10 years. Your feedback is valuable in helping us improve, and we’re sorry to hear that you are not satisfied in your role as a Support Worker.

MHC pride themselves in having long serving, experienced staff within the company, and it is important to us that these employees are retained. Whereas we can’t immediately act on your comments regarding rates of pay and bonuses, we would like to enquire further into why you don’t feel appreciated in your role, as we feel like this contributes hugely towards your job satisfaction.

With regards to the rate of pay, MHC reviewed and increased this in July 2019, and we take pride in being an employer within the care sector, who pay above the national minimum wage.

We would also like to add that all employees at MHC receive the same amount of money at Christmas, regardless of how advanced they are in their role.

We’d like the opportunity to investigate your concerns further, please contact us, in confidence to talk with our Speak Up Guardian; Ryan Sandick or MHC Quality Team, 01824 790600.
I really liked working in mental health very rewarding but can be stressful at times too many managers for some jobs some not knowing what staff actually do work wise but Consultant very nice to work for once you are used to what you are doing its easy to do.
Pros
Cons
Hours not too bad as can do part time
26 September 2019
Thank you for your feedback and 5 star review! Its great to hear you had an enjoyable experience with us.
Wishing you success in everything you do.
Bullying culture management are forever brushing things under the carpet covering up nurse mistakes bullying staff and residents to the point they are being taken to court by x residents would like to say more stay away from them I have worked with a lot of good staff that have been treated apolingly staff who talk the talk are treated better there are nurses that sit on there bum all day aldalday assbuaday giving orders causing trouble for anyone they don't like.
Pros
Free lunch if you can get it
Cons
Long hours no thanks
17 September 2019
Thank you for your recent feedback. We are alarmed to hear that you feel there is a bullying culture within MHC.
We pride ourselves in not only providing a good quality of care to individuals within MHC services but also in ensuring colleagues are empowered to achieve their goals and are happy in their working environment. Sorry to hear your experience does not represent this.

We would like to hear more about your experience and how we can learn from any failings - please contact our speak up guardian,in confidence, on 01824 790600.
Worked at MHC for 6 years now I’ve had the opportunity to work myself up in the company...pay is not the best but since the pay rise it’s better, very supportive company when you are dealing with a hard situation
17 September 2019
Thank you for your review, we’re delighted to hear that you enjoy your role as Team Leader. You play a key role in motivating your team and ensuring continuity of care for individuals within the service. The professional support and guidance you provide to the team is invaluable.

We wish you well and support you on your continued journey with us.
Good work life balance, all training needed is offered and refreshed regularly. The team and manager are very supportive. Pay could be better. Very flexible with working hours and holidays.
18 September 2019
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. It is great to hear you are happy in your role and have a supportive team around you. A good work life balance is essential for your well being, we're glad to hear you have this balance.

As part of MHC's continuous improvement the Learning and Development department seeks to regularly review all aspects of the learning and development training programmes to ensure you can develop skills, knowledge and experience.

Thankyou for all you do.
I've been working for mhc for nearly 10 years and it's been a very enjoyable time working with both different staff and service users. I feel like I have great support off my deputy manager, manages well and listens to staff needs and helps in anyway possible. My only problem is that the pay isnt great and they got rid of the bonus scheme which helped greatly at christmas time.
18 September 2019
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, your feedback is valuable.

As a note of appreciation, thank you for your 10 years service with MHC and for everything you contributed during that time. We are pleased you found your time with us enjoyable and that you had supportive management .

In response to your pay/bonus scheme comment MHC are reviewing ways in which we can improve colleague journeys to make them as long and as rewarding as possible.

We wish you well with your future endeavors
I have worked for MHC for 12 years over two different periods. I have worked supporting individuals with learning difficulties, autism, bi-polar, ADHD and other issues. It can be a stressful job, it can be relentless, but it can be so rewarding, so enjoyable and its so good to see the impact you can have on people. Supporting individuals to improve their lives and be better makes me feel amazing.
The main aim of our role here is to help people to be more independent. We are always encouraged to take positive risks, to take steps to make people's lives better and to always look to improve the services we work in. I honestly dont know what else the company could do to safeguard people, or to try and be better all of the time.

I am a hugely opinionated person and I have always been encouraged to express my opinion - I have even had senior managers visit me and ask for a meeting as they wanted an honest opinion. I love that I work somewhere that encourages me to have a voice, and not only listens to me but changes things based on what I say.

Its not perfect, and I would be lying If I said it was. Do I think the wages should be better? yes. Do I think there should be more company incentives? Again, yes. There definitely could be more done around this and i think thats something the company should look at.

But genuinely, and I really do mean this, I love my job and I really enjoy working for MHC. The experiences I have had, the things I have been able to support individuals to do, the support I have received from the organisation when things havent been so good in my life - theyve
 - more...
17 September 2019
Thankyou for your recent and honest feedback! It is inspiring to hear you have had, a continue to have, a positive working experience with MHC. Your passion for your role is evident and greatly valued.

As part of the continuous commitment and appreciation to MHC employee, we continue to look at ways in which we can make your journey with MHC as long and rewarding as possible.
Worked here for 6 years, good residents and good staff teams. Management let the whole company down, quick to point fingers at the staff teams and will never accept responsibility. Staffing levels are poor, to the point where agency now outnumber full time staff on some homes. Recent pay rise and job title changes will do nothing for the company as they have lost numerous experienced staff over the years of which they will never get back, MHC being to proud to do what they can to keep experienced staff. Don't worry if you don't have experience either as the company are now that desperate for staff they will hire anyone, even people with criminal records. Company reputation in the surrounding area is very poor, with people only having a very low opinion of the company. Head office staff are clueless as to how the homes run, yet have input into how residents are supported, HR team are very arrogant and biased as well as being heavily influenced on decisions by management. A lot of the hierarchy are just power hungry and very cliquey. Very little career progression within MHC, certain staff already have the role before applying for senior roles making other staff waste their own time. Training is very poor too, with courses cancelled on the day (without notice) meaning some wasted journeys and days off for staff, very rushed training courses by the training department staff team who are happy to give answers for everything and will quite literally pass anyone no matter how bad they are, so they do not have to do it again (a shake up with training staff wouldn't be too bad at this - more...
Pros
Good staff team
Cons
Poor management, poor support, Bully culture. Massively understaffed.
26 September 2019
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. Your feedback is valuable in helping us improve. Although we are alarmed by some of your comments, it is good hear you felt there were some enjoyable aspects to you role in the 6 years you were with us.
MHC are proud to have a number of long serving, experienced, staff within the workforce. We strive to provide environments in which colleagues can thrive and progress their careers with us. We promote a positive, supportive, culture across out teams. Bullying is not tolerated. We sincerely apologise you didn't feel this was the case in your experience.

MHC has a robust interview and on boarding process. A key part of safe recruitment is the use of DBS checks.DBS checks are carried out on every individual before commencement of employment and every 3 years thereafter.

We are committed to improving the quality of services we provide so it is important to us that we address complaints and/or concerns. We recognise that everyone has the right to raise a concern/complaint, these are dealt with in an open, honest, confidential and timely manner. All complaints and concerns are acted on. We would like the opportunity to investigate your concerns further. The Speak Up Guardian, Ryan Sandick may be contacted, in confidence, on 01824 790 600.

If you do not wish to contact us directly and you believe individuals are at risk, please contact Care Inspectorate Wales (CIW) or the local Safeguarding office to ensure your concerns are fully investigated.

We thank you for your time with us and wish you well in all your future endeavours.
Used as a scapegoat
No work life balance

No communication

Disrespect

Poor pay considering you deal with challenging bahaviour on a day to day basis.

Management complete nightmare

Nothing done when concerned over safeguarding

No breaks

One rule for you another for someone else very clicky

Only good thing about the place is the residents.
Pros
Residents
Cons
Read above.
19 August 2019
Sorry to hear about your recent poor experience with MHC. We appreciate you providing feedback.
We are committed to act on any failings and would like the opportunity to investigate your concerns further. Could we speak to you, in confidence, to find out more?

The Responsible Individual, Steve Owen or Speak Up Guardian, Ryan Sandick may be contacted on 01824 790 600.

If you do not wish to contact us directly please contact Care Inspectorate Wales (CIW) or the local Safeguarding office to ensure your concerns are fully investigated. Many thanks in advance.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mental Health Care. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8