Mental Health Care Employee Reviews

Shambles of a place!!!
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Llandyrnog6 April 2019
Well what can I say other than what an awful place to work. From day one you can pretty much see that it is a money making machine and not looking out for the vulnerable adults in their care. Many service users are not compatible for the houses they are living in. The support workers are given no support and are constantly blamed by management when they are put in challenging situations because of the companies greed. Staffing levels are appalling and agencies are always covering because of the turnover off staff. Experienced staff are scarce because there is next to no progression within in the job. So in most cases staff leave to go elsewhere to progress or are bullied out by management. You can start the job with no experience and be on the exact same rate of pay as somebody who has been there for years with experience and qualifications. As they only care about attracting people into the job and not the hard working staff they already have. Who often go above and beyond to cover short shifts and give the service users the best care possible. This "care" company isn't caring at all. And only seeks profits. Stay clear!!.
Pros
Improving peoples lives
Cons
Everything the company stand for
8 April 2019

Thank you for your recent feedback. Sorry to hear you had a poor experience with MHC.
MHC pledges to deliver high quality service delivery and positive employee experiences. All issues raised are taken seriously and investigated fully.

We would like the opportunity to investigate your concerns further. Could we speak to you, in confidence, to find out more? The Responsible Individual, Steve Owen or Speak Up Guardian, Ryan Sandick may be contacted on 01824 790 600.

If you do not wish to contact us directly please contact Care Inspectorate Wales (CIW) or the local Safeguarding office to ensure your concerns are fully investigated. Many thanks in advance.

A company in crisis
Support Worker/Carer (Current Employee) –  Highfield Park1 April 2019
Whilst it does depend on which house you work in, overall the culture is pretty much the same. Staff are given limited resources for residents activities (i don’t think the amount has changed for ten years or so). Stream managers are generally arrogant bullies who seem to enjoy interrogating staff so they can justify earning double the amount of money that you’re on. Assaults from residents are common, rather than supporting the staff they try and make out that you weren’t supporting them in the correct way. Most of the staff on shift tend to be agency or new recruits who haven’t got a clue what’s going on. Any concerns raised are deemed negative and there’s always someone waiting to stab you in the back. There’s very little in the way of promoting independence and management lie to the authorities around support hours. Staff are often disciplined over things that they know nothing about, and in some cases, sacked. There is very little in career development or a wage increase (team leaders earn under £1 more than support staff for a massive increase in responsibility and workload). The worst thing about it is the knock on effect for the residents who do not receive the support that they need whilst the company take extortionate amounts of cash from their providers.
Pros
Relationships with residents
Cons
Too many to mention
4 April 2019

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Sorry to hear you have had a poor experience with MHC.

MHC are committed to deliver high quality services and positive employee experiences . All issues raised are taken seriously.

Don't work here!
HCA/Support Worker (Former Employee) –  New Hall Ruabon19 March 2019
I worked for them for 6 years. I am disabled. My working hours were changed and I had to work days and night on rolling rota. I had no change to my contract either The extra hours and working nights made my disability very bad and had to go on the sick. No support, and no understanding of changes to be made to my working practice. Left to live £159.00 a month in sick pay.
Don't work for them if you are disabled, they have no idea what to do or how to help you. Stay clear of them at all costs.
Pros
Cons
No support for disabled workers
Keep clear
support worker (Former Employee) –  Llangwyfan24 February 2019
Absolute joke of a place, getting attacked every day with no support in place, management dont care and have no respect for staff. Probably one of the worst places I've worked.
4 April 2019

Thank you for your recent feedback. Sorry to hear you had a negative experience with MHC.

All concerns raised are taken very seriously. We are committed to deliver high quality service delivery and positive employee experiences.

To support our continuous improvements we would like the opportunity to investigate your concerns further. Could we speak to you, in confidence, to find out more? The Responsible Individual, Steve Owen or Speak Up Guardian, Ryan Sandick may be contacted on 01824 790 600.

Changing lives!!
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Holywell, Flintshire24 February 2019
I am currently a Team Leader in Holywell. I have previously worked for MHC and returned. Management are fair, they listen and encourage growth professionally. Yes, there are challenges but don't come into this job thinking there won't be. Training is robust. You can progress further. There is specialist training available if you choose. I am always learning and I love my job. I actually make a difference to residents lives and that is what makes me happy. Yes pay is not fantastic but MHC pay better than most!! Meals are provided. If you want to make a difference to someone's life, if you want to progress, if you want a challenge, give MHC a chance. I love it!
Pros
Training
Cons
Can't think of any!
Lovely place to work
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Highfield park, llandyrnog4 January 2019
I started working here a number of years ago. I thoroughly enjoy working for MHC, managers and team leaders are fully supportive of their staff members. Annual leave is very generous, and other staff members go out their way to support you and ensure that you are happy. Residents are wonderful to work with and helping them progress to be independent is amazing. I would recommend working here to anybody that enjoys helping others and likes to make working friends. I have made many friends working here, who are trust worthy and supportive. I have also been able to build upon my skills and knowledge and now I am a valued member of the team. Shifts are great to work around and overtime if needed is on offer. Pay is reasonable. Matters that arise are dealt with in an appropriate manor and I have never had any issues.
Pros
Enjoyable working environment, supportive and rewarding
Cons
Pay could be better
Good place to work!
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Llandyrnog4 January 2019
Having been working for MHC for approx 5 years now, I have had a very positive experience. Within my time in MHC I have progressed from being a support worker to a team leader. I have had excellent support of management whilst progressing in my role. I am always helped and guided when ever it is needed. I have received a great training program and it's always kept up to date. I have been given the opportunity to complete my Level 3 Health and Social care with the hope of going forward and doing my Level 5. Over all a great company to work for.
Pros
Supportive, flexible, annual leave entitlement.
Avoid this place by all costs, unhealthy environment to work in.
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Llangwyfan27 December 2018
What should be a great company is ruined by registered managers bullying their staff, an area manager that supports this and a human resources department with no idea what goes on around the company.
I have witnessed bullying using a seniors position, support workers being disciplined as scapegoats, hidden and modified paperwork, supervision and a complete lack of support for staff that need it.

There is a massive turnover for staff here as people have gotten fed up with the staffs treatment, plenty of oppertunities for advancement as people don't want the jobs or leave after a short time because of the blame culture, but if your face fits you got it.

Pay is shocking for the intensity of the job, and trying to book annual leave is more of a challenge then it is an employee right.

Residents get abused by the higher ups who just look at the money they can get from them.

If your outspoken, have a backbone and have some grit about you then you will not be welcome here.

Massive amounts of agency staff used as local's know the company's notorious reputation.

I would love to see this place turn around but with the current managers and their clique, this won't happen. A real shame.

And no, I would not like to phone to discuss this, I already tried in person and you could never 'find time'
Pros
People you support, staff teams you work with regularly, some people DO care
Cons
Managers, complete disregard for staff, bullying, abuse
A let down
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Denbigh, Denbighshire24 November 2018
I worked for MHC for 3 years, I really enjoyed it at the start learning alot, becoming a good impact on people's lives. Until I transferred and felt like I didn't fit in because of my differences.

Having meetings with the HR who are supposed to help their employees not belittle them or make them feel "out of place" I lost respect for this company after handing in my notice for feeling discrimated.
Pros
Training
Cons
0 respect for staff
Culture of fear!
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Highfield Park Llangwyfan11 September 2018
Worked here for a number of years. Worked nights during my last few months on the park. Very old fashioned way of running a care provider . I witnessed abuse and was told to keep quiet about it. Look elsewhere please.
Pros
Anual leave, some good support staff
Cons
Abuse, bullying, unfriendly bosses, poor training
19 September 2018

Thank you for your feedback, can I please request you contact Steve Owen (Responsible Individual) on 01824 790600 at the earliest opportunity so we can investigate and address your concerns. If you do not wish to contact us directly, can I please request you contact Care Inspectorate Wales (CIW) or the local Safeguarding office, again to ensure your concerns are fully investigated. Many thanks in advance.

Ok
Staff Nurse Band 5 (Former Employee) –  North Wales7 September 2018
A typical day at work involves almost 5-6 hrs paperwork and also drug administration/ordering, updating care plans and patient contact
I learned that every patient has something really nice in their personality and if you were trusted they really opened up to you as regards their thoughts/feelings.
Management is now very negative and strict whereas prior to new management taking over this was a very happy and fun place to work whilst also being up to date with excellent paperwork/care plans
Workplace culture is negative - most of the "old" workforce have left the company
The most difficult part of the job is "juggling" all the duties you are expected to complete whilst often being short staffed. Staff were very stressed which makes you more at risk of making errors
The most enjoyable part of the job was spending time with the patients and also experiencing successful discharge from the hospital
Pros
Free Food on duty
Cons
Overtime required
HR Advisor (Current Employee) –  Head Office22 August 2018
I have worked for MHC for over 5 years and have worked in a few different departments. Each time I have received appropriate training and developed professionally. I was supported to achieve a level 3 and level 5 CIPD qualification as part of my current role.
The support staff and managers give the best of care and really put our service users at the heart of every decision.
Pros
Job satisfaction and career progression
Poorly managed, bully culture (Highfield Park)
Support worker full time (Former Employee) –  Highfield Park, llandyrnog19 August 2018
MHC is focused on making money, not on improving lives of the residents. The management are a joke, literally ex supermarket workers. There’s a clear bullying culture, people will stab you in the back to further their own career. There’s clear abuse rife within this place. The owner only cares about money, yet doesn’t pay his staff well. Probably voted brexit too.
Pros
Leaving the company
Cons
Bad management, bad pay, abuse to staff and service users

criminal!
Support worker full time (Former Employee) –  Denbigh6 August 2018
got given extensive training, including safeguarding. came across abuse at where I worked. reported it and got my probation period brought to an end.
a company that likes to cover itself to make the most profit, even turning a blind eye to abuse
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Highfield park llangwyfan17 June 2018
I have been in my current position now for nearly a year and a half and I have got to know the residents very well and developed a good and trusting professional relationship with them. I am also good at working in a team and very flexible with hours.
Pros
Free lunch, making residents happy and have a better way of life, extra hours if wanted
Cons
Hours can be long, pay could better
Working with like minded people
Group Head of Marketing (Former Employee) –  National26 April 2018
It is rare to come across people who share your values and ethics by MHC was one such place. Everyone striving to deliver the best care possible to those we support. Great management support for communications and marketing.
Good training provided
Key Worker/Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Denbigh, Denbighshire2 February 2018
I began work with no care experience but after 5 years I have completed my QCF level 2 & 3 during my employment with MHC. I work with adults with autism and complex needs. Which is very challenging but rewarding.
4 April 2019

Thank you for your positive feedback. Its great to hear what you have achieved over the past 5 years and how rewarding you find your role is.

Long hours, hardly any time off.
Mental Health Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Llangwyfan21 January 2018
Started off amazing but as I progressed management fell apart, good environment with relatable staff teams, long hours with only one day off a week. Good place to work, not the best paid for the work done.
Pros
Free eye tests
Cons
One day off a week
Appalling company
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Holywell, Flintshire19 January 2018
Appalling company to work for Poor wages No staff support No advancement in company Support staff are treated poorly and unfairly with little respect given for all the hard work you put in
Bad place
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Blackpool, Lancashire20 November 2017
Worked their a long time, staff morale at an all time low! Poor management, poor pay, good residents however some innaproppriatly placed. Some staff are on more money than you!
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Everything!!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mental Health Care. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6