MENCAP Employee Reviews

Soul destroying
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Doncaster, South Yorkshire4 December 2017
Mencap should be a good opportunity to do good, meaningful work to help shape and improve lives.
Instead what I experienced was apathy and low morale compounded by dreadfully inept management, infighting and bullying. Aside from the poor pay and long hours there was an expectation for staff to pick more and more shifts regardless of their contracted hours. You would be treated differently if you choose shorter hours, that's if you even got them.
I heard of bullying and intimidation from the manager and staff were miserable and tearful. The only chance of any progression is if you are pro Mencap and fit into the hierarchy. It speaks volumes when almost every member of staff are applying for other jobs constantly.
What a depressing place to work.
The only consolation is the people we support but that is marred by the whole dreadful experience.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, low morale, culture of bullying, low pay
My team are great too work with but there was no chance of furthering myself in the company .
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Witham, Essex19 November 2017
I learnt a lot but it's time too move on . I met some lovely people in the process and I'll remember all they taught me and will always be thankful too my colleagues I worked with day in day out .
Pros
The people I support
Cons
Not flexible
Misleading
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  london17 November 2017
This is what it says on the MENCAP page on Indeed:

"Everyone wants a purposeful job - to do something really meaningful. At Mencap, we can give you that. You’ll have opportunities to develop as a person, colleague, leader and activist.

You’ll make new friends (everyone here is pretty great) and you’ll feel inspired to reach your potential. We’ll ask a lot of you - but you’ll get back so much more. With us, it’s never ‘just a job’."

That is simply not true. I and my colleagues were bullied, intimidated, ignored and overworked.
Pros
Cons
bullying
Low moral...low wages...no management support...no progression
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Leicestershire15 November 2017
Started off first 4 years really positive lots of continuous training, chance for career progression. Management support and advice always available..
Taking tenants out you'd of been paid expenses for food and drink, costs of any outings.
Used to have meal allowance when on a 24 hour shift.
Wages were above the nmw.
Now all the above is in complete reverse.
Tenants not taken out due to no expenses covered.
No continuous training
Hardest part is weak management when input or support needed. expected to run home and tenants lives with out any senior support.more experienced staff expected to train up new staff.. No acknowledgment for all the work you do.
Being short staffed and having to use agency means less security for tenants and no continuity for them.
When agency do not turn up staff who will have been on for 24 hours told they have to stay and cover.
No on call staff available.
Phone call or texts from work place when it's your time off.
Too many negatives to write on here.
Best part of job is the people we support...
Pros
Making a positive difference to people with a learning disability
Cons
long hours.no management support
rewarding
Support worker (Former Employee) –  Rotherham, South Yorkshire13 November 2017
Love working with a large range of age groups. no two days the same going out on outings taking then to personal appointments. The only down side was that some times you had to sleep in their homes.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
good place to work but very needy with hours
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Nottingham7 November 2017
I worked with men cap for 6 months and enjoyed my job thoroughly. although the sleep ins can be very needy as people rang in sick and managers depend on the staff with no children to jump in and say yes! staff cut a lot of corners and accusations weren't taken too seriously when whistle blowing but the job as a whole the residents and day to day life there was an amazing experience. they should look into getting staff just for nights/sleeps so the staff employed there can do the shifts they originally opted in for.
Pros
lovely residents, good rate of pay & every day is different
Cons
long hours, too many sleep ins & alot of staff pulling the "child card" out
Lack of support from Managers
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Rochdale, Greater Manchester2 November 2017
Worked for these managers. All fine till I had a personal issues this year due to being a single parent asked to leave due to my 'Mental Health' Managers said I could not handle the job. I did nothing wrong but was faced with accusations. When managers covering up their own mistakes and failings and blamed me instead and lie to the regional management.
Pros
Got a new job
Cons
Don't trust these Managers
Excellent job but poorly managed
Support worker (Current Employee) –  Suffolk31 October 2017
Supporting adults with learning disabilities and autism is a very rewarding job but the hours are very long. Don't feel management understand the pressure on their staff with 24 hour shifts(sleep ins) and weeks without days off.
Pros
Supporting amazing people
awful
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Kettering30 October 2017
Adore the people I support. Management let everything down!!!!! they don't ensure that support workers give the people we support a life they actually want to live. Management say how we are 'Person Centred' what a load of rubbish! love my job - hate Mencap.
Pros
the relationship gained with PWS
Cons
long hours, rubbish pay, Management!!
people are great, charity is poor
Support Worker/Key Worker (Former Employee) –  Derby14 October 2017
working for the residence at mencap was very life changing and they were a true inspiration. however the pay is very low and where I worked the hours we were all over the week. I found my self working 4 weekends out of six and this would be Friday, Saturday and Sunday. the managers are never on call so when it turns out some one doesn't turn up for a night shift most of the time staff will have to work them who have already been there all day. I think managers have so much on their plate that they have no time to empower staff and listen to their opinions. its very hard to go up in the ladder in mencap there are no team leaders or seniors, its hard to develop your career. even though I liked working with the people in the end I had to leave because I was not progressing my self.
on a positive note working with people with learning disabilities really changed my like. The people great, the charity no so great.
Pros
service users are amazing, you can have good fun, training offered
Cons
long hours, poor pay, no one oncall. (acept a area mangers that tells you its your duty of care to do a night wake
great organisation to work for
District Manager (Former Employee) –  London2 October 2017
very rewarding employer
no typical day as no two days the same
the management and support structure of this organisation is brilliant
lot a lot about care in the community and understanding of peoples vulnerability
Pros
good salary
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, Greater London27 September 2017
It was very fun and nice to help out by giving leaflets to hmthd public to raise awareness of the company and going to visit the place and see different types of people with disorders there really touch me .
Awful; don't put yourself through this.
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, Nottinghamshire26 September 2017
If you want silly hours with an even sillier salary, work for Mencap! They say they're 'person centred'... More like 'self centred' and money driven. You will not be valued as a staff member; the management and staff morale are poor and don't even bother filing for a complaint as it will be immediately be dismissed. Mencap is incredibly corrupt and I would honestly warn anyone away from applying for this job.
Pros
Experience
Lone worker
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Farnham, Surrey25 September 2017
Was a nice place to work and good pay. With all financial cut back, don’t get enough support from management. Also has to bring your own food and drinks for a 24 hours shift.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Have to bring own food and drinks for a 24 hours shift.
Fun workplace
Carer (Former Employee) –  Maidstone11 September 2017
Everyday was exciting and fun filled; days were spent playing with the children and young adults either by playing games, baking or going to the park!
Rewarding
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  South Yorkshire7 September 2017
Love the interaction with the service users. Can be long hours when there is staff shortages.
No day is the same , one day appointments another cleethorpes.
Can be hard if other staff have not got same work ethic but I should say something.
Managers have always been ok but would never want their job . Hardest part is when the service users are not able to do what they want because of hours .
Pros
Rewarding and life changing
Cons
Sometimes long hours when staff is short
Extremely hardwork for money paid
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Taunton, Somerset7 September 2017
Constant staff shortages
Individuals need much more support than detailed in support plans
Long shifts
Unable to leave premisis for lunch as no staff to cover so can be in there for up to 24 hours at a time
Unflexible hours
The only part of the job enjoyable is interacting with the individuals i support and making yheir day brighter
Pros
Providing a service
Terrible place to work
Support worker (Current Employee) –  Nottinghamshire24 August 2017
The place is awful used to be an amazing place until mencap took over and changed everything now you can't say anything or do anything without getting in trouble absolutely shocking they expect you to treat the pws as an individual but anything you say and do is wrong and your pulled in the office for it would not recommend working here or sending a loved one here avoid!
Pros
Couple of good staff
Cons
Poor management made to feel worthless poor care we are just a number we do no matter
Useless
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Nottinghamshire14 August 2017
I used to enjoy my job, until mencap took over. Since then everything has gone down hill. Management are only interested in sitting in their office staying away from all of the actual work and dealing with challenging behaviour. We now run on unsafe staffing levels which they dont care about, we get more and more work put on us with no extra pay. Staff are defiantly just a number to them, they don't realise that without their staff they could not continue to run their buisness. Minimum wage, no sick pay and coming home covered in bruises or scratches. They like to make out that they care about the individuals we support but they only care about the money. The individuals and the staff I work with are amazing, and that is the only reason I am still there for now. I would not recommended working for or sending your loved ones to a mencap home
Pros
Some good staff
Cons
Minimun wage, no support from managers, no appreciation for the work you do
Good job
Support Worker/Key Worker (Current Employee) –  Bury St Edmunds7 August 2017
Supporting adults with an LD helping people live a fulfilled life, supporting on outings and helping around the house. It is a rewarding job although it is not good if you have a young family as the hours can be long and you are required to sleep in.
Pros
Job satisfaction
Cons
long hours, sleep in's

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MENCAP. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9