MENCAP Employee Reviews

Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Bedfordshire12 September 2018
Management course enables me to obtain the knowledge and skills needed to assume management positions in a wide range of organisations.

The hardest part of the job is when all teams are not pulling together in one spirit.

The most enjoyable part of my job is when service users are happy and have achieve their potential, I feel that I have make a positive impact in someone’s life.
A joke of a company
Support Worker/Carer (Former Employee) –  North Yorkshire9 September 2018
I worked for mencap for quite a few years and there was no progression. I worked in different houses under different managers and they couldn't be anymore different.
The area manager Sally, doesn't have a clue how do to her job, she is incredibly patronising and selfish. There was lots of bullying and lies spread by managers, they will do this to push you out instead of sacking you. The pay is terrible especially for the amount of responsibility you are expected to have and the amount of stress you have to deal with, despite mencap having more money than they know what to do with, they won't give you a pay rise.
I am much happier now I don't work for this joke of a company, the best idea I had was to leave.
Pros
Cons
Terrible pay, bad managers, favouritism
Again like so many others worst company i have worked for
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Wales2 September 2018
No training, no boundaries, chaotic rota, no staff cohesion.

Confrontational angry unprofessional manager.

Put forward ideas that were ignored.

No lines of communication.
Pros
Lovely service users
Cons
Nil induction low pay
Mencap a company I would NEVER work for again
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Doncaster1 September 2018
I would never work for or recommend this company to anyone!! Useless waste of time and cannot deal or handle management/employer issues in a reasonable time scale. Once again, useless.
Hard work no back up
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Nottinghamshire29 August 2018
Person centred approach is at managers discretion!!!
Always staff shortages
Staff not appreciated- just expected to work longer or come in on days off - if you don’t you end up being rostered on every weekend
Inconsistent management
PWS are wonderful
Cons
Wages. Management
worst company i ever worked for
Support worker (Former Employee) –  essex29 August 2018
Do not follow there own values
Management only interested in there own progression
no recognition for hard workers
no discipline with staff, you make a complaint or report a member of staff and nothing is done about it
i could go on and on and on
Pros
the people you support
Cons
everything else
Support worker
Support Worker w/ Administration (Former Employee) –  North Yorkshire28 August 2018
Worked in a high stress role with a weekly rota, performing physically and mentally demanding tasks around direct personal care and also administrative duties around healthcare and enriching our patient's lives with activities and experiences.

Whilst management tried to provide a healthy work space, the manager was very young and inexperienced and that was reflected in the organisation of the team. There was a high staff turnover and frequent under-staffing which amplified those issues.

Company culture seemed to view support staff as disposable and replaceable; with low pay, no overtime benefits, erratic shifts and varying quality of training.
Pros
Work could be extremely emotionally rewarding
Cons
No work-life balance, high stress role with little compensation.
rewarding
Relief Support Worker (Former Employee) –  North East15 August 2018
Supporting people with Learning Disabilities in social activities including swimming, rock climbing, fitness training, and hill walking; Also supporting individuals with all aspects of personal care and activities of daily living.
Pros
rewarding
Cons
the hours of working
Terrible
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Cornwall14 August 2018
Just left Mencap after 9+ years. Previous managers very supportive and helpfull but its not what Mencap wants so got forced out. Replaced by pen pushers and bullies. PWS can be challenging at times like we all do. Very rewarding to see smiles on their faces and they are the only reason why I sticked so long. Managers change paperwork constantly. If something goes wrong you will be a scape goat. You will be a Minion and payroll number. They will use you as much as they can and give nothing in return. You are there to jump the hoops and shut up. If you speak up you will be punished for it and bullied. They make rules as it suits them. One day something is not allowed but if they can benefit from it another day, then no problem. One rules for them one rules for us. And please dont reply about communication channels and complains procedures. Been there and have a sticker. Got bullied out by my manager for speaking out.
Pros
PWS pleasure to be around
Cons
The worse managment award goes to....Mencap!!!
Interesting to see nothing has changed
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  North West13 August 2018
Worked for Mencap many moons ago and everything was amazing … until I was accused of unprofessional conduct. Management changed like Jekyll and Hyde and did everything they could to blame me and protect themselves because all they care about is their reputation. Rather than accept that their poor support left me in a vulnerable position, they did everything possible to destroy me and years later i'm still dealing with the after effects to this day. I find it hard to trust people and all I want is a quiet life away from everyone. It scares me to read the comments here because I see vulnerable staff and I worry someone is going to go though the same as me sooner or later. I've changed the location and dates out of fear. Please avoid Mencap and care work at all costs. You are giving them your reputation and future security for minimum wage.
Pros
Great job
Cons
Corruption
productive fun
Career (Former Employee) –  Maidstone6 August 2018
interesting job where you get to work hard as a career which is also good fun if you are able to strike up a good relationship with your child, this usually takes time
Pros
nice work area
10 August 2018

Thanks for taking time to leave this feedback, great you have been able to have fun as well as doing a great job

No Support still owed money
suport worker (Former Employee) –  Ipswich, Suffolk27 July 2018
I worked for lombardy park for 2 months (ash lodge)

you will notice a massive lack of support, you will notice that the manager is only happy when a certain resident is out of her way, I am still owed 13 bus journeys that i paid for out of my own money taking PWS's on the bus journeys with me.

The manager I had was rude, didn't like me cause I voiced my opinion and had the audacity to joke about R ape. ( had to space due to inappropriate language)

nasty nasty place to work, they get so many agency workers in that most( not all) normal staff members don't want to help them or get involved.

I was the only mencap support worker on a evening shift and did 4 peoples medication.

I walked the PWS's into Ipswich town centre about 3 times a week on average. no thanks given, they don't really care.

If a PWS becomes challenging, the current manager just gives in and give that PWS what he wants, doesn't matter if its affecting current staff or that person.

I asked for help to get to work as I was short of money one month and got no help however 2 different member of mencap asked for a float til payday and got it.

don't work here til they change the current manager.
Pros
looking after people
Cons
management, long hours, lack of support
10 August 2018

Sorry your experience at Lombardy wasn't what you were expecting, we have many staff here with great service who do a fantastic job with the PWS. If there is any money outstanding, please follow the process you will be aware of to get this paid back to you and as always in these cases the money will be paid. It may have been the pay date was missed for some reason, feel free to call the payroll team who will clear this up for you.

Stressful and demanding, Ever changing playing field.
Area Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Devon & Cornwall24 July 2018
The role was very stressful and management exceptions of service managers was at times unreasonable. As an Area manager i always liked to support my managers and ensure they maintained a good work / life balance but this was becoming more difficult due to the pressures they and i were under.
The workplace culture was at times "get the job done" regardless of lack of resources.
The hardest part of the role was to manage a workforce that had been depleted by illness or leave but still ensure that the people supported remained safe and free from risks. This meant staff working longer hours resulting in "burnout"
Senior management give what support they could but at times they were under pressure and could not be there when required most.
The management structure had been changed and it had left gaps in mid management which prevented good succession.
The role taught me how to manage critical situations but also brought home that the amount of stress involved in such a role was not worth ruining my health, character and personality.
The enjoyable part of the role was seeing the people we support achieving their objectives and outcomes.
Mencap was not a bad company to work for but the demands of a competitive, fast moving market meant that every day pressures mounted and never seemed to relent. This causes stress and anxiety which results in unnecessary errors occurring which in turn put the services at risk.
Pros
Pension scheme. "you Rock" reward scheme and various benefits related to retail outlets.
Cons
Stressful situations, staff shortages
Terrable workplace
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear4 July 2018
What a terrible workplace. Management is non existent and where they do help it's always to cover there own back. I have been threatened by managers to keep going. Do not work here if you care about trying to help the service users. Mencap only allow for a environment of abuse.
Pros
Cons
Hateful management. Abusesive workplace
10 August 2018

Mencap have many different communication points to raise any concerns, these will always be taken seriously and dealt with appropriately. Mencap Support Workers across the UK do a fantastic job in supporting many people and this continues to be the case.

Poor management
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Witham, Essex28 June 2018
Considering Mencap values I can truly say that I am disgusted the way the management team at churchfields approach valuable members of staff . The service manager feels she untouchable by the way she talks to us staff and the AOM is the least person centred person that has recently landed on churchfields soil. Stress levels raise when you enter the office. The service users makes the job worth while and the staff who work on the shop floor as they go over and above considering their work load.
Pros
Service users
Cons
how the values are not being led by management team .
10 August 2018

We have lots of great staff at at Churchfields doing a fantastic job with the PWS. We have a structured management team in place to support all staff. Mencap values are important to all, if these are not been followed in any way there are clear communication channels where things can be escalated.

Rewarding and fun
Volunteering at Mencap (Former Employee) –  Newbury, Berkshire28 June 2018
Mencap is a wonderful and helpful environment for all strengths of people to communicate and take part in a range of activities together. I volunteered as a student before I was 16 as my family are involved with their services and it was the perfect way not only to gain experience but to meet people of all ages unlike myself and how to handle stressful situations socially and professionally. It is run with a professional but compassionate sentiment.
Pros
New friends, long breaks, free refreshments and snacks
Cons
N/a
10 August 2018

Great to hear about the fantastic experience you have had at Mencap. Thank you for this feedback

Very welcoming and pleasant to work there
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Newbury, Berkshire25 June 2018
Good place to work- can get paid if you agree to it. Workers are very welcoming and children are treated well and looked after by caring volunteers. The children are given an opportunity to be who they are and play freely with the volunteer's job mainly to supervise but sometimes engage with them. They are supervised at snack time and in the holidays, the children get a potential day out to the local pool or nearby park.
Pros
Good to engage with children in a more personal way
Cons
Can feel at times a little disorganised but very rarely
Most appalling culture I have ever experienced
Manager (Former Employee) –  Cornwall12 June 2018
The senior management promote an intimidating culture so that people don't speak up as they fear loosing their job, rubbish pay for to much responsibility, no accountability in senior management blame culture that rolls downhill.
THE WORST COMPANY I HAVE EVER WORKED FOR
10 August 2018

Staff at Mencap have lots of opportunities to speak out and raise any concerns they have. This certainly isn't the culture we promote and thousands of staff we have will support this - as we have seen on our recent survey.

Productive and fun workplace
Volunteer Worker (Current Employee) –  Maidstone5 June 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to see all the children have fun and in their own little bubbles. We are able to see all the imaginative games and thoughts that go through their heads and into real-life situations.
Pros
Working with children
10 August 2018

Thank you for this feedback, this means a lot and glad you enjoyed your time working with the children.

Worst place I have ever worked
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Frinton-on-Sea, Essex30 May 2018
Staff are over worked and underpaid every month. You put in slot of hours and get nothing in return, clients are lovely but depending on your team can be extremely difficult.
The manager of the house I worked in was oblivious to everything going on around her. I was given no training and worked without a contract for a month.
Would never go back not even if they doubled my pay.
Pros
Clients
Cons
Management, long hours, no training, underpaid staff
10 August 2018

All staff have to go through an induction and will have a contract in place, these are available to anyone through the staff portal. We do not employ anyone without having a contract in place and having completed all checks. All staff are paid correctly and we have processes in place to ensure this is the case - Glad you enjoyed working with the PWS

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MENCAP. Our community is ready to answer.