Play YouTube video button
MENCAP

MENCAP Employee Reviews

United Kingdom557 reviews
Good employer-ability to advance
Good employer with an ability to advance if desired, constantly changing nature of the job, no day is ever the same. Company offers various training opportunities if so desired in order to build knowledge and skills.
21 May 2020
Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Indeed. We agree that it is a great place to work and we take a person centred approach to the support we provide. It is also great to hear that you feel supported in being able to build on your knowledge and skills.

Thank you again for your review and wishing you every success in your position at Mencap.

Stay away
Boring job
Back stabbing staff

Managers mate getting more hrs than staff

No concern for staff as long as parents are happy

Make you pay for courses if you leave early even if your more qualified than the course
Productive and enjoyable job
A typical day consists of making breakfast for the people we support, doing their washing and taking them out for their activities. Also reviewing their finances and providing personal care needs. I enjoyed working for MENCAP as it is a rewarding job and management/staff are very nice.
21 May 2020

Brilliant place to work
Fantastic management, no issues. Management were approachable and fair. Good collaboration and team work alongside excellent training that covered all basis and helped grow skills and confidence withing workplace abdvbeuond
Pros
Team work
Cons
Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Indeed. We agree that it is a great place to work and we take a person centred approach to the support we provide. We have now launched our refer a friend scheme and if you know someone that would love working for Mencap as much as you do, we will give you £250 as a thank you, subject to our T&C's which you can find on our Intranet.

Fun workplace
Very friendly staff. Everyone was super nice and helpful. Whenever you needed help anyone was happy to help. Would highly recommend and have recommended to many people

Wouldn’t recommend them
The management haven’t a clue about real issues and not understanding when you have trouble at home with a love ones.your face don’t fit then you don’t get the shifts
Pros
Javing a nice team to work with
Cons
They don’t care about the staff as long as the shifts is covered
Hi,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to see that there are some areas of concern that you mentioned here.

We would like to hear more around the managerial issues you have mentioned as this is something we take seriously and if you have any genuine concerns it is imperative that you report these, either to us as an organisation or to an independent body. We would welcome more detailed feedback from you, please feel free to contact our AskHR team who would be more than happy to talk to you, this will ensure that we are aware of your concerns and can take the appropriate action going forward.

Awful
I worked at mencap for 6 years, in my last year there appeared to be a shift in the company and managers no longer cared about the staff or people we supported and focused more on making money. Mencap do not like to be disagreed with, even if you are challenging them for the benefit of the people you support, and will use false accusations with zero evidence to force you to quit. I would have fully recommended mencap in the past but I insist that it must now be avoided.
Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Indeed.

It is nice to hear that you was Mencap for many years and that you previously would have recommend this to others. However I am sorry to see that there are some areas of concern that you mentioned here that resulted in you leaving.

*Do not work there*
Do not work at this job started out great until true colours were shown you do not feel appropriated manager does not listen to concerns people that dont know how to do the job still working there im surprised CQC has not been there yet you do not feel supported in your role management hates being told the truth you tell management something in private they will go and tell the person who it is about the best thing and kindest thing to do is shut it down pws deserve better than that
Hi,

We would like to hear more around the managerial and confidentiality issues you have mentioned as this is something we take seriously and if you have any genuine concerns it is imperative that you report these, either to us as an organisation or to an independent body. We would welcome more detailed feedback from you, please feel free to contact our AskHR team who would be more than happy to talk to you, this will ensure that we are aware of your concerns and can take the appropriate action going forward.

Bad management
Team leader was rubbish she didn't care about you you are just a number. Head office no better glad I left when i did as its gone further down hill no respect at all for staff and certainly none for the clients.

Would not recommend
No employee values, employees are replaceable, management are unorganised and not suitable for the position.
Worried about paperwork and looking good in figures and less about the service users quality of life

Staff are competitive, ill mannered towards one another and service users
Hi,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to see that there are many cons within your list and wanted to provide you with an answer.

I am sorry to read that you feel there are no employee values and hope that initially you have spoken with your manager to raise your concerns. We are always continually developing and looking to invest in our people by offering training, development opportunities and qualifications alongside our salary.

Thank you in advance and I wish you every success in your current and future endeavours.

dont work here
no identity as a company. long hours. rubbish pay and rubbish management there is very little support and you feel isolated. no ideas on health and safety, fire evac. or policies. as a care provider i would be worried.
Hi,

Thank you for leaving your review on Indeed. We agree that it is a great place to work and we take a person centred approach to the support we provide. Our pay has been recently reviewed to ensure that we remain competitive and an employer of choice for those wanting to work within health and social care and we do offer a myriad of additional benefits. These will be based on your contract, however can include quarterly award schemes, discount and cashback at high street shops and free access to round the clock employee assistance program for advice and support. This list is not exhaustive and we have plenty more that we offer to those joining Mencap.

awful
unfair work practices one rule for one and another rule for others the quality of care and the people we support are amazing but the company is awful
Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Indeed. You have detailed a few areas of concern and if you have not already – please do raise this further and escalate to the relevant persons. If we are not aware, we are unable to resolve this or take any further action and it is important that you do speak so that we can support you. Please do contact our AskHR team if you would like any further advice and guidance.

Mencap problem
Mostly mencap is ok, staff cope with a bad situation and problems usually start at management level. If you start with them you will see the managers, some not all, are all self motivated and the staff are not in their considerations. Don't complain about it, or you will be out and make sure you have union covering your back.
26 March 2020

what i learned
pay is poor; staff gossip and bullying at work; management is very poor and so much politics in workplace. managers are never transparent and dishonesty is a norm.
Hi,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to see that there are many cons within your list and wanted to answer some of these that you have mentioned here.

I am sorry to read that you feel undervalued and hope that initially you have spoken with your manager to raise your concerns. Although salary is not the only reason for people wanting to work for Mencap, we understand that this is an important factor and we strive to be competitive and ensure our pay is reflective within our roles. We are always continually developing and looking to invest in our people by offering training, development opportunities and qualifications alongside our salary.

We also understand how important it is to have a work life balance to ensure that everyone has a life outside of work and that flexibility is a two way street. We endeavour to factor this in to our rotas so you have a fair balance of weekends, early and late shifts or any preferences if we are able to do so.

Hours per week
You get a lot less than advertised. You know when you are working a day to three days in advance. Weekends are optional but sometimes told you have to so if you’re not keen on weekends I would apply for this role
Hi,

I am sorry to read that you feel undervalued and hope that initially you have spoken with your manager to raise your concerns. We are always continually developing and looking to invest in our people by offering training, development opportunities and qualifications alongside our salary.

Mencap
No work home life balance
Did enjoy working with the clients and the team, but the biggest draw back was high staff turnover, just didn't seem to get the home and work balance, at times management seemed detached, but driven at times to implement things controversial to staff understanding of the clients creating a them and us feeling

Porductive fun and sociable
Great place to work would recommend it with training on the job and progression available within the company. Friendly community work based and offers a vital funding for good causes.

Night support worker
i am night support worker i have responsibility to take care of the residents over night settle to bed checked them every hour pad change personal care dressing assisted them with meals and medication as well.etc
Hi,

Thank you for leaving your review on Indeed. Seeing as you gave us 5 stars it tells us that you are extremely happy and passionate to be working for us.

Loved working for Mencap
Worked for mencap for nearly 8 years.A very rewarding job,loved every minute.good support from management,small team of support staff who worked well together always putting our residents first
Would recommend anyone to work for Mencap
5 March 2020

Mencap
Minimal concern for staff or residents
Management have very little concern for staff well-being and allowed many of the staff get away with unlawful behaviour. The place is very unhygienic and not much concern for the support given to the residents. I'm surprised how some staff have been there for many years as all they did in my time there was complain on how the service was run and it seems that nothing had been done to change it. Staff turnover was extremely high and lots of practice was concerning.

100% would not reccomend this place if you value yourself.
5 March 2020

Mencap
Supportive, caring, person-centred and rewarding.
I started at Mencap as a volunteer and was so impressed with the outstanding work Mencap do and wanted to be part of this amazing organisation. I am now a full time support worker at Mencap and have been for aprox. 8 years. I have learnt new skills and became more confident in myself this is thanks to my Line manager, which I have worked the from very start of my career, my Assistant Manger, who i worked with for many years and colleagues i have worked with throughout the difference services i've work in. I used to be shy and have low self of steem before joining Mencap, and I never believed I could achieve and be part of something so amazing until working at Mencap. I've see how throughout the company the great work from other departments have done to make Mencap what it is today and we are always improving and accomplishing new goals together. I have seen how happy the people we support are and seen what they have achieved. The quailty of support and care is the highest possible and we all work together as a team. The people we support are supported to be independent and empowered individuals . Mencap work with valves and a very person centred approach. We make dreams come true. There is no such word as 'can't'. We can make dreams and goals achievable and adapt to every individual. I've seen individuals achieve learning a new skill like making their own cup tea, to dreams coming true to see their favourite music band to achieving goals of going into paid work.
The people we support are always included in their own personal support and care, and have their choices, wants
 - more...
3 March 2020
Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Indeed. We agree that it is a great place to work and we take a person centred approach to the support we provide. It is nice to hear how much of a positive affect your team members have had on your personal journey.