MENCAP Employee Reviews

great organisation to work for
District Manager (Former Employee) –  London2 October 2017
very rewarding employer
no typical day as no two days the same
the management and support structure of this organisation is brilliant
lot a lot about care in the community and understanding of peoples vulnerability
Pros
good salary
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, Greater London27 September 2017
It was very fun and nice to help out by giving leaflets to hmthd public to raise awareness of the company and going to visit the place and see different types of people with disorders there really touch me .
Awful; don't put yourself through this.
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, Nottinghamshire26 September 2017
If you want silly hours with an even sillier salary, work for Mencap! They say they're 'person centred'... More like 'self centred' and money driven. You will not be valued as a staff member; the management and staff morale are poor and don't even bother filing for a complaint as it will be immediately be dismissed. Mencap is incredibly corrupt and I would honestly warn anyone away from applying for this job.
Pros
Experience
Lone worker
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Farnham, Surrey25 September 2017
Was a nice place to work and good pay. With all financial cut back, don’t get enough support from management. Also has to bring your own food and drinks for a 24 hours shift.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Have to bring own food and drinks for a 24 hours shift.
Fun workplace
Carer (Former Employee) –  Maidstone11 September 2017
Everyday was exciting and fun filled; days were spent playing with the children and young adults either by playing games, baking or going to the park!
Rewarding
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  South Yorkshire7 September 2017
Love the interaction with the service users. Can be long hours when there is staff shortages.
No day is the same , one day appointments another cleethorpes.
Can be hard if other staff have not got same work ethic but I should say something.
Managers have always been ok but would never want their job . Hardest part is when the service users are not able to do what they want because of hours .
Pros
Rewarding and life changing
Cons
Sometimes long hours when staff is short
Extremely hardwork for money paid
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Taunton, Somerset7 September 2017
Constant staff shortages
Individuals need much more support than detailed in support plans
Long shifts
Unable to leave premisis for lunch as no staff to cover so can be in there for up to 24 hours at a time
Unflexible hours
The only part of the job enjoyable is interacting with the individuals i support and making yheir day brighter
Pros
Providing a service
Terrible place to work
Support worker (Current Employee) –  Nottinghamshire24 August 2017
The place is awful used to be an amazing place until mencap took over and changed everything now you can't say anything or do anything without getting in trouble absolutely shocking they expect you to treat the pws as an individual but anything you say and do is wrong and your pulled in the office for it would not recommend working here or sending a loved one here avoid!
Pros
Couple of good staff
Cons
Poor management made to feel worthless poor care we are just a number we do no matter
Useless
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Nottinghamshire14 August 2017
I used to enjoy my job, until mencap took over. Since then everything has gone down hill. Management are only interested in sitting in their office staying away from all of the actual work and dealing with challenging behaviour. We now run on unsafe staffing levels which they dont care about, we get more and more work put on us with no extra pay. Staff are defiantly just a number to them, they don't realise that without their staff they could not continue to run their buisness. Minimum wage, no sick pay and coming home covered in bruises or scratches. They like to make out that they care about the individuals we support but they only care about the money. The individuals and the staff I work with are amazing, and that is the only reason I am still there for now. I would not recommended working for or sending your loved ones to a mencap home
Pros
Some good staff
Cons
Minimun wage, no support from managers, no appreciation for the work you do
Good job
Support Worker/Key Worker (Current Employee) –  Bury St Edmunds7 August 2017
Supporting adults with an LD helping people live a fulfilled life, supporting on outings and helping around the house. It is a rewarding job although it is not good if you have a young family as the hours can be long and you are required to sleep in.
Pros
Job satisfaction
Cons
long hours, sleep in's
Dynamic and fun chiraty
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Teddington, Greater London6 August 2017
Working foe Mencap taught me alot of things and I have learned along the way, from what I have learned:
Working with clients closely on a daily basis, as well as being a team leader delivering high standard services, liaising with mulitble organics' and civil servants.
I've learned to thrive in a very busy and under pressure.
Learned to develop and deliver an annual and monthly project plans.
The hardest part is working with different mangers, which is more of a management challenge than my job scope.
Pros
Liaising with mutable agencies
Cons
low paid
Low paid
support worker (Former Employee) –  Rotherham, South Yorkshire2 August 2017
Mencap have good training and regular supervisions however they do not value their workers,they expect you to work long hours, very few weekends off and low wages for a very demanding role.
Pros
training
Cons
no respect for staff
Really only work here if you love the job
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, Leeds, UK26 July 2017
management are terrible and expect you to do a million things in a day, they pressure you into working ridiculous hours and theres little support. however, the people you support make it all worth it.
Pros
rewarding
Cons
high stress
Internship (Former Employee) –  Rotherham24 July 2017
it wos OK and i lernt a lot but i now a lot as well like team bilding, intwver skils, Helth and saftery, sculring a job and a lot moere it is a good exprians
Pros
Internship
Cons
Internship
Did voluntary work for them
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Newbury16 July 2017
Everything you would expect from a place that employs volunteer workers, loads of hours available, very professional and well organised with good facilities and friendly staff.
Pros
Rewarding place to work at
Cons
N/a
Terrible
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Lincolnshire16 July 2017
Incorrect pay regularly
No support
No chance to progress
No work/life balance
Pressure to pick up extra

The people you support are fantastic, so rewarding, lovely to see them develop.
Pros
The people we support
Cons
good
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Belper, Derbyshire12 July 2017
Mencap is an excellent employer. They look after their staff and care about the clients.
Everyone is extremely friendly and easy to get along with. I would recommend Mencap to all.
driver
Support Worker/Driver (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London11 July 2017
I would be in charge of transport of service users in many locations then take them to a sports hall. After that take part in sports with the service users.
Low paid but job satisfaction.
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  South West30 June 2017
POSITIVES : Not many to be honest, however as a Support Worker I enjoy what I do and the job satisfaction is always there. If you are working with a good team this also helps.
The training is very comprehensive.
Often you are based within the clients home which leans to being a little more of a relaxed environment than a care home for instance.
As a Relief support worker I can generally pick and choose when and how long I work.

NEGATIVES : Low pay currently £ 7-50 ph 22% below the national average, and considering the responsibility with the job (people's lives in your hands etc) this is an insult. No enhancements for working night or weekend shifts and often long shifts of 12 hours or more.
Staff turnover is seems to be more than the norm in most services.
No time at all away from the work place during shifts, no lunch break for instance.
Holiday entitlement is the standard but often you are not able to take annual leave when you wish to.

I find Mencap as a company very impersonal in my experience, I'm sure to upper Management we are just a payroll number, I will add that where I work the Service Manager is always there should you need them.
The nature of the work is what it is in being a Support Worker, however there are better paid less challenging jobs in care so I would advise to pick and choose carefully.
Pros
See description
Cons
See description
Training's good at least
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Colchester22 June 2017
Mencap offered me a place to take on responsibilities, as the care home was building from the ground up and didn't seem to know how to do that effectively. I've yet to hear of a Mencap home that has seniors to help with this.
The training is good, but you often have to travel, I went from Colchester to London and met people there from Manchester. Manchester.
Staff are not given a break room or even a scheduled hour's break.
Managers are expected to pick up some shifts when staffing is low, but usually they just apologise and run off.
Pay is not just low but unreliable and often disastrously wrong. My manager forgot to submit hours for the whole staff team for a whole week over Christmas.
To be honest, Mencap is a fragmented organisation and there will be different experiences in different homes but it sucked for me. Especially when the home was closed and I was made redundant with little notice.
Pros
The people you care for. They are worth it. If you're lucky, you'll also meet the loveliest colleagues.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MENCAP. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7