MENCAP Employee Reviews

Worst company i ever worked for
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Essex9 December 2018
My initial experience with Royal Mencap Society was ok(first week) but things started going downhill quickly.
Most managers are so fake,unsupportive, gossip is the main language for managment and staff at Mencap.
Senior or regional managers are oblivious and couldn’t care less as long as the numbers look right.
Young people promoted in managment positions because they were the only candidates ignoring the fact that they are useless, bully people and gosip about their staff and senior managers all the time.
Very unprofessional and very stressful environment where people try to get you fired just because they are jealous or they just don’t like you as a person.
If you care about your health and sanity, please avoid Mencap at all costs.
Mencap is a fragmented organisation and there will be different experiences, but it sucked for me. Worst job i’ve ever had.
Payroll is awfull, myview is never working when trying to book holiday and all the online platform is forever being under repair.
I would give Mencap zero stars but that’s not possible.
If you want to feel appreciated and make a difference Mencap is not the right place.
Best day at Mencap for me was the day that i quit.
Amazing
Manager (Current Employee) –  North of England30 November 2018
I've worked at Mencap for over 20 years, progressing through this time into a management role. Mencap is a fantastic organisation to work for, putting people with a learning disability at the heart of everything it does. Can't recommend Mencap enough.
Pros
Inclusive
very proud to work for
Assistant service Manager (Current Employee) –  Leicester, Leicester shire28 November 2018
Hi am very proud of working for Royal mencap society. I have gained alot of experience and job fulfillment through my career with them.
I work in an office inside of a 12 bedroom residential home. I have been a supportworker and am currently an assistant service manager for Royal Mencap society.
I have learned through progression in the company. The training i have attended and the training that i give to staff is excellent and very thorough.
I have learned how to prioitise well, lead a staff team and support in running the house successfully. Budgets, costings.
I have learned the many computer systems we use e.g officebase, my view, office, powerpoint,
Mencap practice great values to uphold and i work with these values.
We are Inclusive. People with a learning disability are at the heart of everything we do.
We are Trustworthy. When we promise something, we don't let people down.
We are Caring. We treat everyone with respect and kindness.
We are Challenging. ...
We are Positive.
Pros
Job fulfillment
Cons
very challenging
Very productive for ceo
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  North West31 October 2018
As a previous service manager I have to worn potential candidates who may be tempted to apply for the role to approach with caution as there is a bullying culture by an area manager in the north west and nothing gets done about it
16 November 2018

As you will be aware, Mencap take any form of bullying serious. We have a clear process in place to report this and this is totally confidential.

Shame you felt for whatever reason you weren't able to follow process to get to the bottom of this and for this to be dealt with appropriately.

26 November 2018

Was this raised through the correct channels we have in place at Mencap? As you will be aware we take bullying very seriously and have a zero tolerance to this. We have a number of different channels for this to be raised to ensure this is dealt with. Did you do this...?

As you will be aware, lots of great work is done in the North West and we have a lot of happy colleagues who have provided great service to Mencap and the people we support.

didn't enjoy it
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Ipswich, Suffolk23 October 2018
don't work for mencap ipswich. under appreciated and management don't like hearing the truth. made me out of pocket as I took residents out and they said that I have to provide proof even though each day it was wrote into there daily dairies.

Ipswich branch, one person who we supported controlled everything including management.

goodluck.
Cons
long hours, management
16 November 2018

At Mencap there are lots of opportunities to share opinions, these will always be heard and considered. We have an expenses policy process which allows all to claim for any out of pocket expenses and for these to be reimbursed.

Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Borehamwood, Hertfordshire20 October 2018
Been with Mencap since January 2018, really enjoying my job! Great management and so supportive!! Lots of training opportunities too :) lots of opportunities to progress in to higher positions.
Pros
Great training opportunities
Cons
Could be better pay
16 November 2018

Great to read that you are enjoying your job so much and are feeling supported in your role. Hopefully you will have a long and successful career with Mencap and continue to enjoy this as much as you have been doing since you started with us...

Would not recommend
Waking Night Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Bradford18 October 2018
The management was really not good. I enjoyed the training but working here was very difficult. The culture was also bad.Honestly, I would not recommend it.
16 November 2018

Not sure which culture you are relating to here...? Good to hear you enjoyed the training and I am sure took something from this. The role can be very challenging at times and is not for everyone

Great place to wirk
Support worker full time (Current Employee) –  Borehamwood, Hertfordshire14 October 2018
I have been working for Mencap in Borehamwood now for six months. The management has been supportive in all that time. I have completed great training and work with a team that is both diverse and committed to the people we support (PWS).
There have been many exciting activities that we have supported and help plan with the PWS in that time and everyday is different and brings pleasure and learning opportunities for them.
I have seen so many reviews that I believe sadly are not an overall honest opinion of Mencap which has prompted me to share my experience of Mencap.
I believe that in the area I work (Borehamwood) the Four services are run by a team that do provide great opportunities for their staff. That we are supported by management that provide great opportunities to move forward in the company with training in various aspects of the role that only enhances the care we provide for PWS.
Pros
Great training, opportunities to move forward, new experiences
Cons
Pay could be higher

Fantastic to read this really positive feedback :) Thank you

Low stress, supportive and relaxed work environment.
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Hampshire13 October 2018
A good day depends really on your proper planning with the person you support and following the plan. Open and honest communication enables learning and a positive workplace culture. Knowing that at the end of the line there is someone to support you in crisis situations in reassuring and supportive of good care. Junior/Assistant Management opportunities are not easily available/non exisistant due to nature of service.
Pros
Staff who stay more than a year are committed
Cons
No free lunch and low salary for long serving staff
16 November 2018

Great to hear you are getting great support when you require this. Keep an eye out on the Intranet for any opportunities that may come up that may be of interest to you, all jobs are posted here

Poor management
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Southampton10 October 2018
I worked for Mencap for shy of 2 years, It had it's cons like supporting and improving the life's of individuals with a learning disability and your cons like rubbish wage, poor and foul mouthed management who ripped you off out of pay and management who bullied you whilst under pressure and pregnant, Didn't receive any sick pay what so ever.
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Poor and horrible management, no sick pay
16 November 2018

I am sure you meant the pros were supporting and and improving the life of individuals, this is great that you were able to do this for 2 years. Wages been paid are out of our control really and are indicative of the sector as you will be aware.
Process for recording sickness and a policy to back this up so not sure what went wrong here?

repetitive
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wakefield2 October 2018
Mencap is a brilliant charity and is an okay place if you want to volunteer or get work experience. Some staff member are nice in the Wakefield store but i haven't personal worked with all of them.
Pros
lunch brake
Cons
no too fun to work there
16 November 2018

Brilliant you were able to get some volunteering experience at Mencap, hopefully this will help you going forward in your chosen career

Rewarding, supportive, fun
Support worker full time (Current Employee) –  Nottinghamshire1 October 2018
Many negative reviews on here but I have to say I only have positive ones. I have been totally supported during my induction. The team I work with are loyal, supportive and fun to be with. We are encouraged by our Service Manager who takes all issues seriously, is very hands on and makes us feel valued.
I’ve worked for other social care companies and this is the best by far. Wages across the board are low but I’ve had far more difficult jobs than this one, for lower wages. I have a permanent contract and opportunity to earn more. I have good shift patterns with a very flexible approach by my manager.
I would say to those who have had an unhappy time- do something about it! There are structures in place to help improve working situations. I am supporting someone at the moment through this and I am finding she is being taken seriously.
Pros
Job satisfaction, teamwork, permanent contract, fixed hours
Cons
Only the usual social care issues. Low wages and high staff turnover
16 November 2018

Love the feedback and thank you... We can only agree with your comments here, in particular "do something about it!"
The job is challenging at times and often some feel the pay isn't enough, rewards for some though come in different ways...

Loved it
Support Worker/Carer (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield, West Yorkshire30 September 2018
Supporting people with a learning disability is really rewarding. the day will start with preparing for the days activities before the service users come in. then after a hot drink all the groups start their activities, which may be going out somewhere or staying in and doing an activity
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
communication
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Bingham, Nottinghamshire22 September 2018
No communication from managers to staff unorganized fun hard friendly I would work here longer but due to lack of communication between managers and staff is unbelievable
interesting but tiring.
Support Worker/Carer (Current Employee) –  Northumberland17 September 2018
the most enjoyable part of the job is the variety of dealing with the people we support - seeing their triumphs and know ing you helped them is very rewarding.
Pros
good discount package
Cons
very long hours
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Bedfordshire12 September 2018
Management course enables me to obtain the knowledge and skills needed to assume management positions in a wide range of organisations.

The hardest part of the job is when all teams are not pulling together in one spirit.

The most enjoyable part of my job is when service users are happy and have achieve their potential, I feel that I have make a positive impact in someone’s life.
16 November 2018

Thanks for the positive feedback here in regards to the role. Offering the great support we do to the people in our services we see as the most rewarding area for our Support Workers and in particular the positive impact they are able to make.
Thanks for taking the time out to leave these comments - hopefully the team are continuing to pull together

Again like so many others worst company i have worked for
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Wales2 September 2018
No training, no boundaries, chaotic rota, no staff cohesion.

Confrontational angry unprofessional manager.

Put forward ideas that were ignored.

No lines of communication.
Pros
Lovely service users
Cons
Nil induction low pay
16 November 2018

Surprising to read some of the feedback here, especially around training. Lots of this is available to all so not sure how you weren't aware of this?
Not sure what ideas were put forward that you felt were ignored? Maybe not all we can progress with but you should of had some feedback on these.
All staff need to go through the Mencap induction, this is mandatory for ALL

Mencap a company I would NEVER work for again
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Doncaster1 September 2018
I would never work for or recommend this company to anyone!! Useless waste of time and cannot deal or handle management/employer issues in a reasonable time scale. Once again, useless.
16 November 2018

A shame you had a disappointing experience, not clear how long you were with Mencap for. As mentioned previously there is an escalation process should you feel things not been handled as you would like, these would then be picked up and answers given

Hard work no back up
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Nottinghamshire29 August 2018
Person centred approach is at managers discretion!!!
Always staff shortages
Staff not appreciated- just expected to work longer or come in on days off - if you don’t you end up being rostered on every weekend
Inconsistent management
PWS are wonderful
Cons
Wages. Management
worst company i ever worked for
Support worker (Former Employee) –  essex29 August 2018
Do not follow there own values
Management only interested in there own progression
no recognition for hard workers
no discipline with staff, you make a complaint or report a member of staff and nothing is done about it
i could go on and on and on
Pros
the people you support
Cons
everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MENCAP. Our community is ready to answer.