MENCAP Employee Reviews

Useless
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Nottinghamshire14 August 2017
I used to enjoy my job, until mencap took over. Since then everything has gone down hill. Management are only interested in sitting in their office staying away from all of the actual work and dealing with challenging behaviour. We now run on unsafe staffing levels which they dont care about, we get more and more work put on us with no extra pay. Staff are defiantly just a number to them, they don't realise that without their staff they could not continue to run their buisness. Minimum wage, no sick pay and coming home covered in bruises or scratches. They like to make out that they care about the individuals we support but they only care about the money. The individuals and the staff I work with are amazing, and that is the only reason I am still there for now. I would not recommended working for or sending your loved ones to a mencap home
Pros
Some good staff
Cons
Minimun wage, no support from managers, no appreciation for the work you do
Dynamic and fun chiraty
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Teddington, Greater London6 August 2017
Working foe Mencap taught me alot of things and I have learned along the way, from what I have learned:
Working with clients closely on a daily basis, as well as being a team leader delivering high standard services, liaising with mulitble organics' and civil servants.
I've learned to thrive in a very busy and under pressure.
Learned to develop and deliver an annual and monthly project plans.
The hardest part is working with different mangers, which is more of a management challenge than my job scope.
Pros
Liaising with mutable agencies
Cons
low paid
Low paid
support worker (Former Employee) –  Rotherham, South Yorkshire2 August 2017
Mencap have good training and regular supervisions however they do not value their workers,they expect you to work long hours, very few weekends off and low wages for a very demanding role.
Pros
training
Cons
no respect for staff
Really only work here if you love the job
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, Leeds, UK26 July 2017
management are terrible and expect you to do a million things in a day, they pressure you into working ridiculous hours and theres little support. however, the people you support make it all worth it.
Pros
rewarding
Cons
high stress
Internship (Former Employee) –  Rotherham24 July 2017
it wos OK and i lernt a lot but i now a lot as well like team bilding, intwver skils, Helth and saftery, sculring a job and a lot moere it is a good exprians
Pros
Internship
Cons
Internship
Did voluntary work for them
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Newbury16 July 2017
Everything you would expect from a place that employs volunteer workers, loads of hours available, very professional and well organised with good facilities and friendly staff.
Pros
Rewarding place to work at
Cons
N/a
Terrible
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Lincolnshire16 July 2017
Incorrect pay regularly
No support
No chance to progress
No work/life balance
Pressure to pick up extra

The people you support are fantastic, so rewarding, lovely to see them develop.
Pros
The people we support
Cons
good
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Belper, Derbyshire12 July 2017
Mencap is an excellent employer. They look after their staff and care about the clients.
Everyone is extremely friendly and easy to get along with. I would recommend Mencap to all.
driver
Support Worker/Driver (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London11 July 2017
I would be in charge of transport of service users in many locations then take them to a sports hall. After that take part in sports with the service users.
Low paid but job satisfaction.
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  South West30 June 2017
POSITIVES : Not many to be honest, however as a Support Worker I enjoy what I do and the job satisfaction is always there. If you are working with a good team this also helps.
The training is very comprehensive.
Often you are based within the clients home which leans to being a little more of a relaxed environment than a care home for instance.
As a Relief support worker I can generally pick and choose when and how long I work.

NEGATIVES : Low pay currently £ 7-50 ph 22% below the national average, and considering the responsibility with the job (people's lives in your hands etc) this is an insult. No enhancements for working night or weekend shifts and often long shifts of 12 hours or more.
Staff turnover is seems to be more than the norm in most services.
No time at all away from the work place during shifts, no lunch break for instance.
Holiday entitlement is the standard but often you are not able to take annual leave when you wish to.

I find Mencap as a company very impersonal in my experience, I'm sure to upper Management we are just a payroll number, I will add that where I work the Service Manager is always there should you need them.
The nature of the work is what it is in being a Support Worker, however there are better paid less challenging jobs in care so I would advise to pick and choose carefully.
Pros
See description
Cons
See description
Training's good at least
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Colchester22 June 2017
Mencap offered me a place to take on responsibilities, as the care home was building from the ground up and didn't seem to know how to do that effectively. I've yet to hear of a Mencap home that has seniors to help with this.
The training is good, but you often have to travel, I went from Colchester to London and met people there from Manchester. Manchester.
Staff are not given a break room or even a scheduled hour's break.
Managers are expected to pick up some shifts when staffing is low, but usually they just apologise and run off.
Pay is not just low but unreliable and often disastrously wrong. My manager forgot to submit hours for the whole staff team for a whole week over Christmas.
To be honest, Mencap is a fragmented organisation and there will be different experiences in different homes but it sucked for me. Especially when the home was closed and I was made redundant with little notice.
Pros
The people you care for. They are worth it. If you're lucky, you'll also meet the loveliest colleagues.
Stressful but rewarding
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Hastings, East Sussex17 June 2017
Mencap is a good company to work for and you will be fairly treated by your manager (I have been). The only thing with mencap is there isn't much room for progression.
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Long hours, no lunches provided and under appreciated by staff
Fun workplace and gained skills
Charity Shop Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Bolton16 June 2017
I would help out my nan with customer service and run errands for colleagues. As well as this, I would work on the tills, including in a busy atmosphere so I was put under the responsibility to use my communication skills.
Pros
Free lunches
Work Placement with Mencap
Events and Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Belfast, Northern Ireland15 June 2017
I applied for a work placement at Mencap as an Events and Marketing Assistant with specific project duties on The Belfast City Marathon, 2017, working with the Fundraising Team in Mencap.

This position enabled me to write a Digital Marketing Plan for the project which guided us in all our promotional activities like Social Media content Marketing, analysis of results, google analytics, search engine optimisation, telemarketing, community reach through weekly newsletters.

During my placement, I greatly improved on my communication skills, report writing skills, team work skills, time management skills. Using my initiative, I was able to offer good customer care to all people who supported Mencap through fundraising, I always solved problems that the Fundraising Team faced like what customer segment to target to increase Mencap awareness, Identifying issues before they became serious and mitigating risks, reaching local suppliers in the community to fundraise or make donations to Mencap and support people with learning disabilities in Northern Ireland.

My team was very hard working, enthusiastic, approachable and good team players. We always looked out for each other and I greatly did research for the corporate fundraising and local community engagement by building a database for potential donors for Mencap, efforts which paid off by Mencap being nominated as the official Charity Partnership with some corporate donors and local schools.

Organising and analysing registration for The Belfast City Marathon 2017 was a huge project but working as part of the Fundraising
  more... Team in Mencap, it was a success. We managed to enroll over 1300 participants that registered for the Marathon and fundraised for Mencap. Our target was to raise above £150,000/. With more collections coming through, this target will be achieved.

Having successfully finished my work placement, I wrote a project report for the Belfast City Marathon for Mencap. Some of this information was used in my final degree report which mainly concentrated on raising awareness for Mencap. I also did research on Charity Fundraising in Northern Ireland.
Pros
Free transport refund, free coffee and water, wifi
Cons
No salary
Data Entry Clerk
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Twickenham, Greater London10 June 2017
Very helpful staff, work as a team and die as a team. fighting the good cause and we loved it. The work is very repetitive however the atmosphere st work is good and get you through the day, Also you feel something in your heart when you help people.
Pros
Good Work Colleagues
Cons
extremely stressful environment to work
Service Manager (Current Employee) –  undisclosed8 June 2017
Absolutely love working with the residents and their families. Senior managers have totally unrealistic expectations and there is so much responsibility put upon you for relatively poor financial reward or more importantly recognition for what you are doing. There is very little in the way of support when things go wrong - a culture of blame and finger wagging.
Pros
working with vulnerable adults
Cons
long hours, always on call poor salary
rewarding job but takes over your life
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire7 June 2017
too long hours , too little support, too little promotion chances, hard life/work , balance. positives are: good training and holidays. care work is very rewarding though that's why I do it
Pros
good holidays
Grotty place to work
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Rochdale, Greater Manchester4 June 2017
Bullying manager , moves staff to suit there own need. Exert to work sleeps when doesn't balance with life of staff. No relief staf .won't take notice when told you have medical need.to not do some tasks, and complain when not done.
Other staff not helpful, regional manager a big bully and can be hateful when it suits and then changes mind when wants to.
Wages bad, not family Freundly.
Pros
Non
Cons
Two many
Awful
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands3 June 2017
Long hours for little pay. No extra overtime payments, left to cover shifts when staff don't turn up while management do nothing and go home. Big staff turnover and mostly short staffed . Pressured into covering shifts to prevent having to pay agency, saying we will get a pay rise...what a joke! Never happened.
Endlessly training new staff only to have them leave when they realise the pressures of the job and they low wage that goes with it. Management more interested in image of company than improving staff moral.
Pros
Pws
Cons
The list is endless
Good place to work for
Support worker (Current Employee) –  Tamworth30 May 2017
I'm currently a support worker , and although the hours can be long , this job is so rewarding. You spend time with the pws ,take on personal days out and also holidays, management is good and any problems they will help you , the staff are friendly and helpful . It's a pleasure to work at mencap.
Pros
Rewarding, fun
Cons
Sleep ins and wages are national minimum wage, far too much paperwork

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MENCAP. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7