MENCAP Employee Reviews

Great staff team but poor management
Support worker (Former Employee) –  Essex23 February 2018
Manager was very inexperienced with poor managerial skills and inadequate skills in managing the service users. but the service users were great and made going into work a joy and a pleasure to work with them.
Rewarding and fulfilling
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk11 February 2018
A good and positive environment to work in as all of us who were staff have the same objectives and outlook and duty to the work.
I enjoyed my time at Mencap as I was doing a fulfilling and rewarding job where I was able to implement my people skills and care for people and get involved in campaigning and helping to provide a better environment for people.
Pros
Flexibility
Supportive environment
Voluntary Worker (Former Employee) –  Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands3 February 2018
It was a wonderful environment with supportive coworkers and managers. The service users are supportive, there was just no way to progress for me so I had to leave.
Parents Advocacy Worker (Former Employee) –  London30 January 2018
The most enjoyable place to work
Working and empowering the parents of disabilities
The workplace culture was open that we build relationships outside work
Pros
Fun workplace
productive place to work
Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands26 January 2018
the management was not helpful in resolving some issues. there is good team work and the service users were treated with upmost respect. training of staff was also fantastic.
Great job satisfaction but poor management and benefits
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Grimsby, Lincolnshire20 January 2018
Building therapeutic relationships with our service users through supporting them to carry out everyday tasks is the most enjoyable part of the job. However, the salary is poor for the amount of work that is expected and as an employee you feel very unappreciated.
Brilliant - best decision I ever made
Area Administrator (Current Employee) –  Wansbeck District, Northumberland16 January 2018
Having worked in law for over 20 years, I was offered a job at Mencap. It was the best decision I ever made.

In my previous jobs I didn't get sick pay, I didn't get bank holidays, I didn't get the offer of a pension, there was no flexibility or care for my personal life.

At Mencap I get training, a great work/home balance, the managers are so supportive and helpful, great benefits and a calm working environment. It is hard work, but I don't think that's a bad thing. All the time it's hard work you have a job to do. If it was easy anyone would do it. I hope to be here for a very very long time - Mencap Wansbeck, North East.
Pros
Excellent company - professional and supportive
not good
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Kidlington, Oxfordshire7 January 2018
with regard to Support Worker (Former Employee) – Doncaster, South Yorkshire post = bullying happens in Kidlington Mencap Services to some staff ,this people been forced to leave company if you dont belong to clan there is no option to win or progress,witnessed on many occasions managers misconduct but they are protected
Pros
Cons
Kidlington services
loving home
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Yorkshire and Humberside13 December 2017
a warm compassionate loving home for the elderly who have learning disabilities. full of love and care. there's always laughter and a tea break for those who need a one to one.
Soul destroying
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Doncaster, South Yorkshire4 December 2017
Mencap should be a good opportunity to do good, meaningful work to help shape and improve lives.
Instead what I experienced was apathy and low morale compounded by dreadfully inept management, infighting and bullying. Aside from the poor pay and long hours there was an expectation for staff to pick more and more shifts regardless of their contracted hours. You would be treated differently if you choose shorter hours, that's if you even got them.
I heard of bullying and intimidation from the manager and staff were miserable and tearful. The only chance of any progression is if you are pro Mencap and fit into the hierarchy. It speaks volumes when almost every member of staff are applying for other jobs constantly.
What a depressing place to work.
The only consolation is the people we support but that is marred by the whole dreadful experience.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, low morale, culture of bullying, low pay
Official response from MENCAP
12 December 2017

Hi, thank you for your feedback. I agree with your first sentence, and would stress that Mencap is an opportunity to do good, meaningful work to help shape and improve lives.

I am would like to discuss your comments further, particularly the references you have made regarding bullying and intimidation from managers. Mencap do not condone this type of behaviour, and we have comprehensive policies and procedures in place to support anyone who experiences or witnesses bullying and intimidation. I can assure you bullying and intimidation will not be tolerated.

It terms of your comments regarding progression, we have excellent opportunities for people to develop, learn and progress their careers, and we are by no means hierarchical. You have stated you must be pro Mencap in order to be receive progression, I am not sure what you exactly mean by this comment, however we do expect all our employees to share the Mencap values.

As mentioned previously, I am keen to discuss your comments in more detail. Please feel free to contact me.

Sam Jackson
Head of Resourcing
sam.jackson@mencap.org.uk
01733 246699

Productive work environment
Voluntary Work (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire23 November 2017
Volunteering here was a fun experience for me as I gained an insight into many new opportunities to learn about mental health and communicate with the service users
Pros
Great learning experience
Cons
Volunteer work without pay
My team are great too work with but there was no chance of furthering myself in the company .
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Witham, Essex19 November 2017
I learnt a lot but it's time too move on . I met some lovely people in the process and I'll remember all they taught me and will always be thankful too my colleagues I worked with day in day out .
Pros
The people I support
Cons
Not flexible
Misleading
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  london17 November 2017
This is what it says on the MENCAP page on Indeed:

"Everyone wants a purposeful job - to do something really meaningful. At Mencap, we can give you that. You’ll have opportunities to develop as a person, colleague, leader and activist.

You’ll make new friends (everyone here is pretty great) and you’ll feel inspired to reach your potential. We’ll ask a lot of you - but you’ll get back so much more. With us, it’s never ‘just a job’."

That is simply not true. I and my colleagues were bullied, intimidated, ignored and overworked.
Pros
Cons
bullying
Low moral...low wages...no management support...no progression
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Leicestershire15 November 2017
Started off first 4 years really positive lots of continuous training, chance for career progression. Management support and advice always available..
Taking tenants out you'd of been paid expenses for food and drink, costs of any outings.
Used to have meal allowance when on a 24 hour shift.
Wages were above the nmw.
Now all the above is in complete reverse.
Tenants not taken out due to no expenses covered.
No continuous training
Hardest part is weak management when input or support needed. expected to run home and tenants lives with out any senior support.more experienced staff expected to train up new staff.. No acknowledgment for all the work you do.
Being short staffed and having to use agency means less security for tenants and no continuity for them.
When agency do not turn up staff who will have been on for 24 hours told they have to stay and cover.
No on call staff available.
Phone call or texts from work place when it's your time off.
Too many negatives to write on here.
Best part of job is the people we support...
Pros
Making a positive difference to people with a learning disability
Cons
long hours.no management support
rewarding
Support worker (Former Employee) –  Rotherham, South Yorkshire13 November 2017
Love working with a large range of age groups. no two days the same going out on outings taking then to personal appointments. The only down side was that some times you had to sleep in their homes.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
good place to work but very needy with hours
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Nottingham7 November 2017
I worked with men cap for 6 months and enjoyed my job thoroughly. although the sleep ins can be very needy as people rang in sick and managers depend on the staff with no children to jump in and say yes! staff cut a lot of corners and accusations weren't taken too seriously when whistle blowing but the job as a whole the residents and day to day life there was an amazing experience. they should look into getting staff just for nights/sleeps so the staff employed there can do the shifts they originally opted in for.
Pros
lovely residents, good rate of pay & every day is different
Cons
long hours, too many sleep ins & alot of staff pulling the "child card" out
Lack of support from Managers
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Rochdale, Greater Manchester2 November 2017
Worked for these managers. All fine till I had a personal issues this year due to being a single parent asked to leave due to my 'Mental Health' Managers said I could not handle the job. I did nothing wrong but was faced with accusations. When managers covering up their own mistakes and failings and blamed me instead and lie to the regional management.
Pros
Got a new job
Cons
Don't trust these Managers
Excellent job but poorly managed
Support worker (Current Employee) –  Suffolk31 October 2017
Supporting adults with learning disabilities and autism is a very rewarding job but the hours are very long. Don't feel management understand the pressure on their staff with 24 hour shifts(sleep ins) and weeks without days off.
Pros
Supporting amazing people
awful
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Kettering30 October 2017
Adore the people I support. Management let everything down!!!!! they don't ensure that support workers give the people we support a life they actually want to live. Management say how we are 'Person Centred' what a load of rubbish! love my job - hate Mencap.
Pros
the relationship gained with PWS
Cons
long hours, rubbish pay, Management!!
people are great, charity is poor
Support Worker/Key Worker (Former Employee) –  Derby14 October 2017
working for the residence at mencap was very life changing and they were a true inspiration. however the pay is very low and where I worked the hours we were all over the week. I found my self working 4 weekends out of six and this would be Friday, Saturday and Sunday. the managers are never on call so when it turns out some one doesn't turn up for a night shift most of the time staff will have to work them who have already been there all day. I think managers have so much on their plate that they have no time to empower staff and listen to their opinions. its very hard to go up in the ladder in mencap there are no team leaders or seniors, its hard to develop your career. even though I liked working with the people in the end I had to leave because I was not progressing my self.
on a positive note working with people with learning disabilities really changed my like. The people great, the charity no so great.
Pros
service users are amazing, you can have good fun, training offered
Cons
long hours, poor pay, no one oncall. (acept a area mangers that tells you its your duty of care to do a night wake