MENCAP Employee Reviews

Most appalling culture I have ever experienced
Manager (Former Employee) –  Cornwall12 June 2018
The senior management promote an intimidating culture so that people don't speak up as they fear loosing their job, rubbish pay for to much responsibility, no accountability in senior management blame culture that rolls downhill.
THE WORST COMPANY I HAVE EVER WORKED FOR
Productive and fun workplace
Volunteer Worker (Current Employee) –  Maidstone5 June 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to see all the children have fun and in their own little bubbles. We are able to see all the imaginative games and thoughts that go through their heads and into real-life situations.
Pros
Working with children
Worst place I have ever worked
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Frinton-on-Sea, Essex30 May 2018
Staff are over worked and underpaid every month. You put in slot of hours and get nothing in return, clients are lovely but depending on your team can be extremely difficult.
The manager of the house I worked in was oblivious to everything going on around her. I was given no training and worked without a contract for a month.
Would never go back not even if they doubled my pay.
Pros
Clients
Cons
Management, long hours, no training, underpaid staff
Stressful
Support worker (Current Employee) –  London28 May 2018
From the moment you walk in the door your stress levels are through the roof. To much work put on you to ease management.
No support from management and no help.
A lot of the staff talk about you behind your back. Some staff sit and do nothing all shift and get away with it while others are running round trying to do the best they can.
If you complain or suggest something new it gets turned on you and you get shot down.
Pros
You get to leave work on time (most of the time)
Cons
Never get listened to
Area Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Ipswich13 May 2018
an organisation with great values and direction, feel like you’re part of something bigger.
Everyday is challenging and rewarding.
Great support for leaders
31 December 1969

Thank you for the positive feedback. As you will be aware we have values in place which all try to work to. Great to see you are enjoying the challenge and the reward this brings

Awful awful awful
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom10 May 2018
Having worked for Mencap for well over 10 years, you'd think you would have been valued..well NO you are not! Management are rubbish give you all the paperwork (what do they actually do? )to do on shift whilst you are supposed to be supporting the people we support. The pay is awful for what you have to do, support plans, risk assessments, appointments, meal prep, general care, book your own annual leave, do your time sheets, and now on call is longer available you have to sort out cover and if you can't get cover well your lumbered!!
Pros
Cons
Paperwork, Management, no NVQ offers, money terrible
31 December 1969

All staff at Mencap are equally valued, given you have worked for the organisation for 10 years I am sure you will have seen this.
Sorry to hear your experience at the end of your time with the organisation was not what you were hoping for.
We have processes in place for any issues like those raised to be escalated through clear channels.

Wouldnt go back if they payed triple the wage
Key Worker/Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Sheffield20 April 2018
I worked for Mencap 10+ years and i left this year.
At first this was a great place to work and I loved my job.
The people we support whilst challenging were characters and were the reason I stayed as long as I did.
At first the training was really good and the company offered relevant training for you to do your job correctly now you are lucky if you get the basics.
They are employing people who don't know how to support people with learning difficulties and don't understand their job role putting pressure on the staff who have been there a while.
When you discuss problems with your manager you get ignored and they pretend the problem isn't there or say they will look in to it and never do.
Same with upper management.
The pay is ridiculous for what you have to do and managers are forever giving you more work on top of an already busy workload.
You aren't valued and are just a name on their system.
Sad really as Mencap used to be a nice company to work for.
Pros
Nice clients
Cons
Long hours, undervalued, just an employee number
31 December 1969

As you will be aware the Support Worker role is challenging and this is recognised by Mencap. Our Learning & Development team continues to grow and there are lots of development opportunities for all positions.
Unfortunately it appears you weren't able to get answers at the time to some of your problems, we do have clear processes in place to be able to raise these further.

What a joke of a company
Support worker (Former Employee) –  County Durham19 April 2018
Worked for Mencap for 17 years. Absolutely loved the job I did and the service users I supported. For 15 years it was amazing, then I got a new manager who couldn't manage her way out of a paper bag. Didn't care at all about the service users,often getting them mixed up and their support needs. Classed good staff as those that covered shifts,didn't matter if there was safeguarding issues with that staff. Area manger was exactly the same. Felt bullied and harassed by both of them.
Pros
Service users
Cons
Bad management, unsuitable staff, service users not thought of, low morale, if your face fit you were fine and if it didn't you knew
31 December 1969

Great to hear you had fifteen great years at Mencap and loved your job over this period. Unfortunately the last two years you did not enjoy, hopefully you had the opportunity over this time to address your concerns.

Mencap to not condone any form of bullying or harassment, we have processes and helpline in place for any issue like this to be reported.

A lovely job
HR Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Rickmansworth5 April 2018
I got complete satisfaction in my job. The team is very friendly and helpful. I started learning a lot about how a charity works. It was a great opportunity for me to work with them in HR.
31 December 1969

Thank you for the positive feedback, great to hear you had a really positive experience and now have a much greater insight in to the great work the Charity does.

Managers should be replaced with honest people
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Rochdale, Greater Manchester4 April 2018
I worked for this service enjoyed working with Clients. hated management that cover up for staff that were blatantly being abusive. They use choose Clients and staff to lie to CQC making out this service is better than it actually is. Absolute disgrace, service in Rochdale should be shut down or replaced with better management that take genuine concerns seriosly and not cover up for their friends.
Also you should stop management pressuring staff not to take owed sleep in pay by being agressive and blaming selfish staff. When we all know that management jobs would go first, so the managers only care about themselves and not the clients they work for anyway.
Pros
Clients are lovely
Cons
Lying Management that cover up

Want to know more about MENCAP?

Ask a question
work experince
Charity Shop Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Bury31 March 2018
days at Mencap shop are very quite you don't have to work a lot only things you vìhave to do are: stay at the till, re-order the clothes, insert target on the clothes and press the clothes.
Colleagues at Mencap shop are very nice and funny.
My work experience at Mencap shop went very good.
Pros
launch for one hour
Cons
encrease launch time
31 December 1969

Great to see your positive experience in a Mencap retail store, looks like you worked with some really good people in the team.

Very good
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Kirkby in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire21 March 2018
Nice company to work for, can get stressful at times always opportunities for you to go further with your career in the care or management side of the company
Pros
Lovely people
Exciting workplace
Student Placement (Former Employee) –  Belfast18 March 2018
I was only in this setting for a few days. I really enjoyed these days as the staff were all welcoming and it confirmed to me that I wanted to work with children.
terrible
suport worker (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester stockport13 March 2018
if i could give no stars i would the management are terrible to deal with. you are stuck in between problems off mencap and the familys.
because off mencaps incapability to manage a house or put the service user first.
the pay is low and they never get your wages correct( do over time it go's into a banking system and you dont receive it for 2 months}
stay away people dont do it to your self.
stay away from stockport,manchester, areas
you will be asked to drive but there is no insurance cover for you provided by mencap.
Pros
no pros to this job
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire3 March 2018
The team at the Normanton road store are brilliant. They are very flexible with working hours which was really useful whist I was working another full time job. In a typical days work I will serve customers on the till, tag, price and label products, help tidy and clean the store and assist customers. Everyone works really well together the management team are respectful, discreet, approachable and friendly. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with my colleagues to sort through a delivery but it is also the hardest part.
Pros
Great friends
Cons
No wages as it is voluntary
great place to work
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire2 March 2018
This is a great place to work but I would like to advance and there are not many opportunities to do this. There are however a lot of great opportunities to advance in qualifications such as NVQs in health and social care.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
Great staff team but poor management
Support worker (Former Employee) –  Essex23 February 2018
Manager was very inexperienced with poor managerial skills and inadequate skills in managing the service users. but the service users were great and made going into work a joy and a pleasure to work with them.
Pros
Productive, fun and making a difference
Assistant Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Lancashire20 February 2018
MENCAP is great to work for as long as you have a good manager behind you. Its fun and you can clearly see the difference to the lives of the people we support.
Pros
great development opportunities to further career
Rewarding and fulfilling
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk11 February 2018
A good and positive environment to work in as all of us who were staff have the same objectives and outlook and duty to the work.
I enjoyed my time at Mencap as I was doing a fulfilling and rewarding job where I was able to implement my people skills and care for people and get involved in campaigning and helping to provide a better environment for people.
Pros
Flexibility
Supportive environment
Voluntary Worker (Former Employee) –  Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands3 February 2018
It was a wonderful environment with supportive coworkers and managers. The service users are supportive, there was just no way to progress for me so I had to leave.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MENCAP. Our community is ready to answer.