MENCAP Employee Reviews

Area Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Ipswich13 May 2018
an organisation with great values and direction, feel like you’re part of something bigger.
Everyday is challenging and rewarding.
Great support for leaders
Awful awful awful
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom10 May 2018
Having worked for Mencap for well over 10 years, you'd think you would have been valued..well NO you are not! Management are rubbish give you all the paperwork (what do they actually do? )to do on shift whilst you are supposed to be supporting the people we support. The pay is awful for what you have to do, support plans, risk assessments, appointments, meal prep, general care, book your own annual leave, do your time sheets, and now on call is longer available you have to sort out cover and if you can't get cover well your lumbered!!
Pros
Cons
Paperwork, Management, no NVQ offers, money terrible
Wouldnt go back if they payed triple the wage
Key Worker/Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Sheffield20 April 2018
I worked for Mencap 10+ years and i left this year.
At first this was a great place to work and I loved my job.
The people we support whilst challenging were characters and were the reason I stayed as long as I did.
At first the training was really good and the company offered relevant training for you to do your job correctly now you are lucky if you get the basics.
They are employing people who don't know how to support people with learning difficulties and don't understand their job role putting pressure on the staff who have been there a while.
When you discuss problems with your manager you get ignored and they pretend the problem isn't there or say they will look in to it and never do.
Same with upper management.
The pay is ridiculous for what you have to do and managers are forever giving you more work on top of an already busy workload.
You aren't valued and are just a name on their system.
Sad really as Mencap used to be a nice company to work for.
Pros
Nice clients
Cons
Long hours, undervalued, just an employee number
What a joke of a company
Support worker (Former Employee) –  County Durham19 April 2018
Worked for Mencap for 17 years. Absolutely loved the job I did and the service users I supported. For 15 years it was amazing, then I got a new manager who couldn't manage her way out of a paper bag. Didn't care at all about the service users,often getting them mixed up and their support needs. Classed good staff as those that covered shifts,didn't matter if there was safeguarding issues with that staff. Area manger was exactly the same. Felt bullied and harassed by both of them.
Pros
Service users
Cons
Bad management, unsuitable staff, service users not thought of, low morale, if your face fit you were fine and if it didn't you knew
A lovely job
HR Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Rickmansworth5 April 2018
I got complete satisfaction in my job. The team is very friendly and helpful. I started learning a lot about how a charity works. It was a great opportunity for me to work with them in HR.
Managers should be replaced with honest people
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Rochdale, Greater Manchester4 April 2018
I worked for this service enjoyed working with Clients. hated management that cover up for staff that were blatantly being abusive. They use choose Clients and staff to lie to CQC making out this service is better than it actually is. Absolute disgrace, service in Rochdale should be shut down or replaced with better management that take genuine concerns seriosly and not cover up for their friends.
Also you should stop management pressuring staff not to take owed sleep in pay by being agressive and blaming selfish staff. When we all know that management jobs would go first, so the managers only care about themselves and not the clients they work for anyway.
Pros
Clients are lovely
Cons
Lying Management that cover up
work experince
Charity Shop Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Bury31 March 2018
days at Mencap shop are very quite you don't have to work a lot only things you vìhave to do are: stay at the till, re-order the clothes, insert target on the clothes and press the clothes.
Colleagues at Mencap shop are very nice and funny.
My work experience at Mencap shop went very good.
Pros
launch for one hour
Cons
encrease launch time
Very good
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Kirkby in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire21 March 2018
Nice company to work for, can get stressful at times always opportunities for you to go further with your career in the care or management side of the company
Pros
Lovely people
Exciting workplace
Student Placement (Former Employee) –  Belfast18 March 2018
I was only in this setting for a few days. I really enjoyed these days as the staff were all welcoming and it confirmed to me that I wanted to work with children.
terrible
suport worker (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester stockport13 March 2018
if i could give no stars i would the management are terrible to deal with. you are stuck in between problems off mencap and the familys.
because off mencaps incapability to manage a house or put the service user first.
the pay is low and they never get your wages correct( do over time it go's into a banking system and you dont receive it for 2 months}
stay away people dont do it to your self.
stay away from stockport,manchester, areas
you will be asked to drive but there is no insurance cover for you provided by mencap.
Pros
no pros to this job
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire3 March 2018
The team at the Normanton road store are brilliant. They are very flexible with working hours which was really useful whist I was working another full time job. In a typical days work I will serve customers on the till, tag, price and label products, help tidy and clean the store and assist customers. Everyone works really well together the management team are respectful, discreet, approachable and friendly. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with my colleagues to sort through a delivery but it is also the hardest part.
Pros
Great friends
Cons
No wages as it is voluntary
great place to work
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire2 March 2018
This is a great place to work but I would like to advance and there are not many opportunities to do this. There are however a lot of great opportunities to advance in qualifications such as NVQs in health and social care.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
Great staff team but poor management
Support worker (Former Employee) –  Essex23 February 2018
Manager was very inexperienced with poor managerial skills and inadequate skills in managing the service users. but the service users were great and made going into work a joy and a pleasure to work with them.
Pros
Productive, fun and making a difference
Assistant Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Lancashire20 February 2018
MENCAP is great to work for as long as you have a good manager behind you. Its fun and you can clearly see the difference to the lives of the people we support.
Pros
great development opportunities to further career
Rewarding and fulfilling
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk11 February 2018
A good and positive environment to work in as all of us who were staff have the same objectives and outlook and duty to the work.
I enjoyed my time at Mencap as I was doing a fulfilling and rewarding job where I was able to implement my people skills and care for people and get involved in campaigning and helping to provide a better environment for people.
Pros
Flexibility
Supportive environment
Voluntary Worker (Former Employee) –  Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands3 February 2018
It was a wonderful environment with supportive coworkers and managers. The service users are supportive, there was just no way to progress for me so I had to leave.
Parents Advocacy Worker (Former Employee) –  London30 January 2018
The most enjoyable place to work
Working and empowering the parents of disabilities
The workplace culture was open that we build relationships outside work
Pros
Fun workplace
productive place to work
Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands26 January 2018
the management was not helpful in resolving some issues. there is good team work and the service users were treated with upmost respect. training of staff was also fantastic.
Great job satisfaction but poor management and benefits
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Grimsby, Lincolnshire20 January 2018
Building therapeutic relationships with our service users through supporting them to carry out everyday tasks is the most enjoyable part of the job. However, the salary is poor for the amount of work that is expected and as an employee you feel very unappreciated.
Brilliant - best decision I ever made
Area Administrator (Current Employee) –  Wansbeck District, Northumberland16 January 2018
Having worked in law for over 20 years, I was offered a job at Mencap. It was the best decision I ever made.

In my previous jobs I didn't get sick pay, I didn't get bank holidays, I didn't get the offer of a pension, there was no flexibility or care for my personal life.

At Mencap I get training, a great work/home balance, the managers are so supportive and helpful, great benefits and a calm working environment. It is hard work, but I don't think that's a bad thing. All the time it's hard work you have a job to do. If it was easy anyone would do it. I hope to be here for a very very long time - Mencap Wansbeck, North East.
Pros
Excellent company - professional and supportive
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MENCAP. Our community is ready to answer.