Medway NHS Foundation Trust Employee Reviews

Great team spirit
EPRR Manager (Current Employee) –  Gillingham, Kent16 March 2019
Current role is very busy, everyone I speak to is willing to assist and all very polite. Great atmosphere to be working in.
Typical busy Hospital environment
Applying for a job here = big mistake
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Medway, Kent10 January 2019
Bullying...huge issue. If the bully is a higher grade than you then there is no chance of a fair hearing or any kind of help. if the bully is the same grade the previous comment applies, and if the bully is a lower grade the previous comment also applies.
Management....pure joke. Management positions increase whilst all other roles decrease and those left are run in to the ground
Advancement...forget it.
If you have an illness, even if it comes under the DDA ....forget it, you won't get any help and will be penalised for being Ill.
There are over 500 policies/process guides..... but they mean absolutely nothing, purely a tick box exercise for the benefit of the PC brigade.

Working at the hospital was the worst decision I ever made.
Pros
None.
Cons
See review. And have a chat with someone that works at the hospital.
Workplace
Ward Clerk (Current Employee) –  Medway, Kent19 December 2018
No chance of progression regardless of how hard you work, lack of support from management, no cover when you take time off, huge backlog of workloads, insufficient staff numbers...
Don’t do it
Clinical Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Medway, Kent19 October 2018
Bullies, bullying managers. Poor support. Terrible working conditions. Poor pay for what is expected.
Trying to get rid of all of their staff.
Run far run fast
Pros
Colleagues are kind and become your friends quickly
Cons
Ridiculously busy. Bad service for patients.
Locum (Former Employee) –  Gillingham, Kent6 October 2018
Such a busy hospital, putting staff under amazing stress. Some departments are very under staffed, and waiting times for some patients are unacceptable. Also in the hot weather some places in the hospital were unbearable to work in. Air conditioning desperately needed. Unfortunately not a pleasant place to be. Overall the Trust needs vast amounts of improvement.
Pros
Lovely food in the canteen. Really well organised volunteer section.
Cons
Too many to list
Staffing and safety
Senior clinical support worker (Current Employee) –  Gillingham16 August 2018
Colleague are great people, but we all work under a great deal of pressure. Don’t feel that I am informed about new details, when needed and not kept up to date with things changing. Colleagues are so supportive
Pros
The patients
Cons
Not being informed regularly
Medway NHS Foundation Trust
Maternity Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gillingham10 April 2018
I believe the NHS provides a significant amount of security for any staff member who joins and this is what drew me to the job and the NHS. There is plenty of training available within the NHS which allows you to develop any new skills that you are interested in for the future or for your current job role. I have been working 12 hour shifts at a time which means I only complete 3 to 4 shifts a week allowing more family time on my days off. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people you work with because the majority of staff are very friendly and very supportive within the workplace. The hardest part of the job is when you are the only member of staff with that job role in the department due to the fact there are other staff member relying on you for the jobs and it can get very very busy and overwhelming.
Great Learning Experience
Personal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gillingham, Kent3 April 2018
Given me plenty of opportunities to learn and progress however not a secure place to work. A day at work is very busy and productive, the atmosphere can sometimes be hectic
Pros
Pension
Cons
Job security
Challenging at times but a great place to work
Lead Assistant Clinical Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Imaging4 January 2018
I have worked for the trust for 18 years and feel that it is time to move on. The Trust has been struggling over the past few years and I feel that this is having a negative effect on the remaining staff.
Pros
Great home / life work balance
Cons
Little support from management
Hard working collegues
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Medway, Kent9 December 2017
Everyone works hard to give best patient care. You can have 6 requests within the working month. Good varity of extra courses run to advance knowledge and skills.
Poorly managed and no opportunities for development
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Medway, Kent11 April 2017
I would not recommend working here if you have a disability as requests for reasonable adjustments are often ignored. There is a lack of flexibility in shift patterns and working hours. No funding is available for professional development and the learning and development team are unhelpful and disorganised. There is a culture of allowing failing managers and employees to stay in posts, leaving the rest of the staff to carry their workload without appreciation.
Flexi and agency staff get paid much more than permanent staff and shoulder less responsibility. Loyalty is not valued in this trust and there's a huge culture of giving opportunities/promotions to favoured employees. There are very few people from ethnic minority backgrounds in senior nursing positions such as matron. The only pro of working here is the NHS pension and annual leave but it's often difficult to get annual leave when you want it.
Pros
Good annual leave, friendly support workers
Cons
lack of flexibility in working hours, no opportunities for professional development, poor mandatory training, covert discrimination.
Cardiorespiratory is the best department
Cardiac assistant practitioner (Current Employee) –  Gillingham, Kent11 April 2017
Cardiorespiratory is the best department in the whole hospital. All other Managers that run the hospital are no good and have no idea how the hospital should be run. If it was run by the managers in Cardiorespiratory the hospital would be a much better place overall.
Happy place to work with fantastic support from management
Concierge (Current Employee) –  Medway, Kent3 April 2017
So much to offer in so many fields, ability to develop and grow. I have worked here for 24 years in many departments. Meeting new people and assisting them at a time when they are feeling most vulnerable.
Pros
Pension
Cons
The way people talk to you sometimes
I loved working for this trust
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Gillingham, Kent15 March 2017
I loved working within NICU.

You never knew what the day would hold due to the nature of working in NICU.

I learnt an awful lot throughout this employment, I had fantastic management and extremely supportive nursing colleagues. I loved everything about this job even though it had its ups and downs as you would expect from this environment.

There were many opportunities for people to progress within this role.
Pros
Very supportive colleagues and management, help always available.
Cons
Can be very stressful at times, due to it being an intensive care environment
Interesting place for work..lots of new challenges
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Gillingham, Kent30 January 2017
lots of interesting opportunities for progression and development.

A busy & fast paced environment but one that I felt supported in, the team were very friendly and always on hand to help me when i needed it.
Pros
Opportunities for progression and development
High pressure, High stress, fast paced work.
Patient Service (Current Employee) –  Gillingham14 April 2015
While I learnt a lot of valuable skills in my time, most opportunities at job advancement are reserved for 'favoured' employees, rather than skilled employees. A typical day consisted of being relentlessly bombarded by rude impatient staff members and being asked to fix things beyond your control.
Management is poor and disorganised, the phrase too many chiefs not enough Indians comes to mind and progress is often halted by in house politics and bickering.
There is very little engagement between workers and management, meaning entire processes, standards, environments and more a change, dropped and tacked on at the drop of a penny.
In spite of all this the team I work with are supportive, friendly and always put on a brave face, bringing laughter into what would otherwise be a miserable working life.
Pros
Non managerial staff are friendly, helpful and supportive.
Cons
Long hours, poor working environment, poor management, poor continuity, Lack of support, regular unpaid overtime expected, unreliable payroll department, poor organisation.