Mears Group Employee Reviews

A care provider that doesnt really care
Office worker (Former Employee) –  Newton Abbot, Devon8 January 2019
Management within branch is appalling and is reflected in the turnover in staff. Not all staff are treated with respect or as equals. No one person is better than another no matter who they are. Poor and rash decisions are made which poorly affect day to day tasks. Training for care workers was great but not at an expected standard for other areas of the business. Don't do any overtime as it will not be paid regardless if it promised. Always take anything management promises with a pinch of salt.
Pros
good pay rates
Cons
poor management
Good Enviroment
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  South East London, Greater London8 January 2019
Allocate new work to the work men , take in the previous days works. , code up all works completed and move to invoicing.
Make site visits and carry out daily spot checks,
Meet client on sites to discuss projects.
Speak to contractors regarding progress of works.
Arrange out of hours cover .
Code up all out of hours works for invoicing.

Hardest part of the job was to wake up in the middle of the night to attend site .

Most enjoyable part of the job was working with a great team.
Pros
Local
Cons
Working out of hours
Good company
Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk9 January 2019
Mears is a good company to work for who cares about their staff, this is a really challenging environment and tricky to get a balance under so much pressure, the bad press on here is generally due to carers not being able to totally rule the roost and being challenged over poor care , there is good and bad in and out of the office.

The reward scheme good as is the refer a friend , I am a carer and have always been listened too , and every one has the choice to say no
Pros
rewarding
Cons
hard work
Poor
Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Bathgate, West Lothian23 December 2018
I am an employee for Bathgate branch and the staff in the office co ordinator s and visiting officers do not provide support unless your face fits then your fine if not then you soon know they are rude and think it's ok to speak to an employee what ever way they like constantly phoning and hounding you to pick up more work if you don't answer work phone then the ring your personal phone always deining holidays love working with my service users makes the day nicer
Pros
Meet different people
Cons
Too many to list
Worst company ever
Support worker full time (Former Employee) –  Scotland2 December 2018
Worst company you could work for. Pay is ridiculous for what you are expected to do, no mileage paid, no extra pay at weekends so say goodbye to your family. Management don’t care about their employees or the clients, put you in various situations without appropriate training. Expected to run about here there and everywhere in your own car with no mileage, half an hour or 15 minute visits are regular. Half the time you’re working all day to get paid for about 8 hours.
Pros
Lovely clients
Cons
Everything else
Manager
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  South East London, Greater London2 December 2018
If you don’t want a life join Mears Care.
No support when needed and absolute blame culture and bullying from senior management who are fully aware of what goes on and do absolutely nothing!!!
Their is no care for staff in Mears Care and changes occur on a regular basis and no communication with the staff.
You have no quality of life as expected to be available evenings weekends and when on annual leave.
Ask for support and expect not to get any as everyone is struggling themselves!!
Never seen so many stressed employees and everytime you want to a meeting more people had either left or gone under consultation!!!
How’s that for job security.
Non productive
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Aberdeenshire14 November 2018
I recently left Mears as a support worker, the training was very good but the shadow shifts were not good as the first one I went to the staff there didn’t know I was coming, Communication with management was not good at all and never improved, pay was supposed to be weekly but it was 5 weeks before I was paid my first wage, despite reminders. After a few more disasters put my notice in, was asked to reconsider, and they would offer me somewhere else, a month later still no communication regarding this.
So no I would not recommend this company at all.
Management need to communicate better with their staff and be more supportive.
productive comapny
Home carer (Former Employee) –  Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk3 January 2019
working here I had to travel to the office for training and post timesheets once a week, but great communication with the office when not there or while out in the community. I gained NVQ here at no cost to me.
very accommodating, with flexible hours.
receive visit client list each week.
when needed shadowing and management checking oi on visits to make sure we get on okay.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
can be long.
Good in part
Customer and Community Manager (Former Employee) –  Eastbourne, East Sussex3 January 2019
Mears invest heavily in training individuals and upskilling staff, however, as their main interest is to satisfy their clients (councils and housing associations), the training provided often falls short of the expectations required by these clients. As a result, it is often the case that you are set to work long before the required training occurs and thus becomes obsolete.
workplace
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes16 October 2018
general care of my services users, washing, dressing making the beds making meals. i learned its a rewarding job to do, I learnt that I can do things never thought i would be able to do eg change a stoma bag. friendly bunch to work alongside with.
hardest part of the job is not getting attached as i feel its humanly impossible not to get attached.
Seeing your services users face light up when the see you even if they think your someone else, seeing some come along further and in better health
Victimised
Electrician (Former Employee) –  North West15 November 2018
I was put in a position where I had to resign as an electrician. No office or managerial response was acted on following feedback I sent in, for their attention, from various sites. Accumulated faults and site issues were left unresolved until, after some time, the blame for the lack of response was eventually aimed at me after a fall out with a manager.
Pros
Good workforce
Cons
Communications
Not enough hours in the day
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  West London14 October 2018
Supervisor on a plumbing and heating contract is what I was doing.

There is just to much to do, constantly stressed constantly playing catch up, not much support and most issues are arising from the planners and engineers not talking, the staff working under you are paid along the lower scale of rates in the gas industry so are newbies who go wrong a lot or average engineers who can’t get work elsewhere. This means basically there lazy and inexpirenced and create a lot of issues
Job was too much with a useless team of planners and engineers.

My job should have been 45000 a year not the peanuts 36000 and vehicle use not a tracked fiesta van with no air con.
Pros
None expect tea and coffee in the office.
Cons
Roasting hot summer and No air con in vehicles
Appauling
Community Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Burton-On-Trent, Staffordshire2 October 2018
Would not recommend to work here at all. You work all the hours under the sun and nothing is ever good enough. You ring your on call and they give you attitude when you call them for help. They do not care about their staff at all. If you want a healthy work and social life balance then I would not bother. Don't get paid mileage and holidays were always unfair. If your face fit then you got what you wanted!! Stay away or question the staff turnover as it's horrendous.
Pros
Good luck
Cons
Snooty management. Management who flirt with service users.
Not what I was promised
Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Bathgate, West Lothian4 October 2018
Your life is not your own with this company! Very Bad Management. And don't bother trying to take holidays always declined. The up side is you do get to make a difference in the service users life's but that's about it. No paid travel time the milage allowance doesn't come close to covering it They advertise £9 per hour sorry but because of the un paid travel and paid only by client numbers you won't even get close to minimum wage. You could work 8 hours or more a day and only get paid for 5. When you do have time off they are constantly phoning you to work. No human on the planet should have to work under these conditions. I would also tell you that the management are so rude and unsympathetic. Save yourself don't apply!!
Pros
Service users are fab
Cons
Long hours under paid and have to fight for time off
Lovely environment
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire30 October 2018
I worked at Parkview in Huntingdon as a career and absolutely enjoyed it the co workers we all worked together hours were there if needed managers worktwith you and cared about you as a person up to date training communication was good service users were like family unfortunately the distance was too far miss the work
Pros
Good management
Cons
Pay
Fun, Caring and Reliable
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton, West Midlands21 September 2018
As a community support worker, I enjoyed working here a lot. I worked morning lunch and evening calls independently and with another care assistant. The management was lovely always caring and looked after their staff as much as they could. I would recommend this company over and over again.
Pros
Flexible working hours, great management, friendly staff all round
Cons
Pay rate, driving around was tiring
Care Work
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Stowmarket, Suffolk3 January 2019
I have worked for Mears Care in Stowmarket for 15 years, I started as a care worker and progressed my way up to a coordinator/events coordinator.

The staff at Stowmarket are very friendly and supportive and have all worked in the branch for many years.

If looking for a job is care I would highly recommend Mears @ Stowmarket.
Ridiculous.
Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Birmingham24 August 2018
I’ve worked with Mears for a little over a year now, and I can honestly say that this is the worst company anyone could ever work for; first off all the pay is ridiculous, the manager and the coordinators are forever gossiping about the care workers and can I just mention the lack of support and understanding towards carers is disgusting. I advice anyone who’s interesting in working here not to !!!
Pros
Working with the service users
Cons
Pay, no support, long hours, travel
Do not go near this company
Visiting Officer (Former Employee) –  Lanarkshire20 August 2018
The place is full of back stabbing, 2 faced liars, that talk behind your back, make a full of you to your face.
Manager is partial to bullying and physical abuse, then goes to police accusing others of abuse but when a witness provides a written statement it is ignored.
Worst company I have ever worked for, despite being the best job I've had. I actually joined Unison whilst working there because of the manager.
Appauling
Care assistant (Former Employee) –  Rossendale, Lancashire17 January 2019
Absolute joke of a company. Management is disgraceful and isn't well run. They have no desire to assist you with any issues. They do not pay your wages correctly or on time. Attitude is disgusting from office staff. You don't get placed in the area you applied for.
Pros
Clients are friendly.
Cons
Everything.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mears Group. Our community is ready to answer.