Mears Group Employee Reviews

Worst job ever.
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Alloa, Clackmannanshire17 February 2019
Mears was fine until the new phone system came in to place. Now they send your rota to your phone and change it as they please. Mine was updating several times a day changing my hours so I couldn't make plans outside work. No travel time between visits. Unrealistic time for visits for example 30 minutes to help someone shower, dress, toileting, medication, feeding.. it goes on and on. No allowance for petrol, you pay your own travel. Never thanked for doing above and beyond. My contract was continuously breached for years despite my pleas not to. Constantly changing management. Zero acknowledgement of my work. I was so depressed last year that I had to quit. When people say it's soul crushing they mean it. They also call you at all hours of the day on your work phone and personal phone. I've had calls at 6am and 11pm, even one at 5.30am when I was on annual leave.. take from that what you will.
Pros
Lovely clients.
Cons
Everything else.
How not to run a Company
Regional Credit Contoller (Former Employee) –  Colchester14 February 2019
Poor process and poor people recruitment leading to lack of employee buy-in to company culture and resultant poor service to service users and employee retention.
Pros
Cons
lack of training
i worked for mears for 16 years
œ Assisting my manager (Former Employee) –  crawley,west sussex7 February 2019
good company to work for.it gave me a good base to learn after coming of the tools and entering a management level.
long hours of work and not very many perks.
Dispicable company to work for. Managers not fit to do the job and cover up for each other
Carer (Former Employee) –  Elgin, Moray6 February 2019
No compassion.. all about pounds and pence. No thought for the carers who work for them... have carer put from 7am till 10p. To only get paid for 6 hours work.
Over worked
Carer (Former Employee) –  Tyne and Wear24 January 2019
If you value your life don't work here. Loved clients but no care for the carers Zero hour contract and worked more than 50 hours per week. Didn't get paid walking from one house to the next. Collapsed due to exhaustion and no food intake as no time do so
Pros
Cons
No breaks, no transport or travel
Poor all round
assist the severely disabled (Current Employee) –  stoke21 January 2019
I have returned to mears after leaving the first time due to personal circumstances, I have to say am very unimpressed with mears as a company I have had to fight no end to get paid for training which is asvertised as paid, also the overall management is very very poor, always being threated with your job, no continuity for you or your service users, co-workers constantly trying to get others in trouble- I would rather have gone back to high school!!
Pros
the service users
Cons
long hours may aswell marry your job
Appauling
Care assistant (Former Employee) –  Rossendale, Lancashire17 January 2019
Absolute joke of a company. Management is disgraceful and isn't well run. They have no desire to assist you with any issues. They do not pay your wages correctly or on time. Attitude is disgusting from office staff. You don't get placed in the area you applied for.
Pros
Clients are friendly.
Cons
Everything.
Overworked, underpaid and under valued.
Carer (Current Employee) –  Elgin, Moray16 January 2019
Thoroughly enjoy my role, ruined by poor management only interested in themselves rather than providing support.

The rest of the team i.e. senior’s and care staff work hard together often working 7 days a week. If you have a day off don’t expect it to happen you will probably get a call from the manager guilt tripping you into working even if you said ‘No’ already.

Annual leave authorisation is extremely poor insufficient staff leaves many unable to use their entitlement.

Mileage 20pm you can be asked to work out of area so this can add to travel expenses.

If you work for Mears document every interaction with an email never trust a verbal conversation.

Don’t expect hard work and dedication to be rewarded especially if you’re outside the manager’s circle of friends.
Pros
Care staff are the only positive thing about this work place.
Cons
Weekly rotas never on time constantly changes daily.
Ok company to work for
Senior Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  London15 January 2019
Mears were ok to work for, They had good contracts to work on but I feel they did not invest in staff, Packages with Mears are good but as said they need to invest in the good staff they have,
productive and fun to work in
Gas Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London9 January 2019
Very good company to work for very professional
always look after there staff if you want to work week ends you can
very flexible and good environment
Pros
very productive
Cons
travelling time
Good company
Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk9 January 2019
Mears is a good company to work for who cares about their staff, this is a really challenging environment and tricky to get a balance under so much pressure, the bad press on here is generally due to carers not being able to totally rule the roost and being challenged over poor care , there is good and bad in and out of the office.

The reward scheme good as is the refer a friend , I am a carer and have always been listened too , and every one has the choice to say no
Pros
rewarding
Cons
hard work
A care provider that doesnt really care
Office worker (Former Employee) –  Newton Abbot, Devon8 January 2019
Management within branch is appalling and is reflected in the turnover in staff. Not all staff are treated with respect or as equals. No one person is better than another no matter who they are. Poor and rash decisions are made which poorly affect day to day tasks. Training for care workers was great but not at an expected standard for other areas of the business. Don't do any overtime as it will not be paid regardless if it promised. Always take anything management promises with a pinch of salt.
Pros
good pay rates
Cons
poor management
Good Enviroment
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  South East London, Greater London8 January 2019
Allocate new work to the work men , take in the previous days works. , code up all works completed and move to invoicing.
Make site visits and carry out daily spot checks,
Meet client on sites to discuss projects.
Speak to contractors regarding progress of works.
Arrange out of hours cover .
Code up all out of hours works for invoicing.

Hardest part of the job was to wake up in the middle of the night to attend site .

Most enjoyable part of the job was working with a great team.
Pros
Local
Cons
Working out of hours
Ridiculous Work Environment
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  North Lanarkshire6 January 2019
Worst care company out there. I work for the Lanarkshire branch. So all over Motherwell, Wishaw, Coatbridge. Tje office staff think they are a cut above you because they are in front off a computer. The way they speak to staff as if you are a piece of dirt on their shoe!! You complain about certain matters but they can’t be bothered with the hassle and rush you off the phone. I have reported several times money items etc going missing from service users houses. But i was told its to much hassle to launch an investigation and it may just be a mistake. Office member brother actually stole from a service user and still has his job!!! Staff have been caught drinking alcohol on the job and are still working with the company. The more you do and the better you are at your job the less you get thought off and have to scrape by with 5-9 hours a week!! You would actually benefit more being unemployed. This company needs a major overhaul starting with the office staff and their lousy attitude!! Worst company i have ever worked for. They don’t CARE about staff and certainly DONT CARE FOR THEIR SERVICE USERS!!! Disgusting for a so called CARE COMPANY!!!!
Pros
Cons
Get treated like rubbish!! If your face fits your ok or a thief you get extra hours
productive comapny
Home carer (Former Employee) –  Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk3 January 2019
working here I had to travel to the office for training and post timesheets once a week, but great communication with the office when not there or while out in the community. I gained NVQ here at no cost to me.
very accommodating, with flexible hours.
receive visit client list each week.
when needed shadowing and management checking oi on visits to make sure we get on okay.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
can be long.
Care Work
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Stowmarket, Suffolk3 January 2019
I have worked for Mears Care in Stowmarket for 15 years, I started as a care worker and progressed my way up to a coordinator/events coordinator.

The staff at Stowmarket are very friendly and supportive and have all worked in the branch for many years.

If looking for a job is care I would highly recommend Mears @ Stowmarket.
Good in part
Customer and Community Manager (Former Employee) –  Eastbourne, East Sussex3 January 2019
Mears invest heavily in training individuals and upskilling staff, however, as their main interest is to satisfy their clients (councils and housing associations), the training provided often falls short of the expectations required by these clients. As a result, it is often the case that you are set to work long before the required training occurs and thus becomes obsolete.
Poor
Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Bathgate, West Lothian23 December 2018
I am an employee for Bathgate branch and the staff in the office co ordinator s and visiting officers do not provide support unless your face fits then your fine if not then you soon know they are rude and think it's ok to speak to an employee what ever way they like constantly phoning and hounding you to pick up more work if you don't answer work phone then the ring your personal phone always deining holidays love working with my service users makes the day nicer
Pros
Meet different people
Cons
Too many to list
low Morale by all whom work there
Maintenance Engineer (Former Employee) –  Brighton and Hove, East Sussex3 December 2018
self sufficiency is key on a daily basis.
Health and safety equipment (PPE) is provided on strict basis and often not when required to carry out works specified by line manager.
Yearly performance reviews are always ignored if not carried out at all. The morale and pay is low among staff members who work in the building teams with no option of progression within the company as jobs are continuously earmarked for friends of line managers. Expected to work in conditions unsuitable to most and very often personal health and safety disregarded to quickly complete jobs. hardest part of the job is the constant contention between office staff whom have no building experience and builders on how works should be carried out. Enjoyable part was comradery between building teams and completing works to high standards for those with little.
Pros
Range of works and tasks performed on a daily basis
Cons
Working often in unclean and unsafe conditions
Manager
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  South East London, Greater London2 December 2018
If you don’t want a life join Mears Care.
No support when needed and absolute blame culture and bullying from senior management who are fully aware of what goes on and do absolutely nothing!!!
Their is no care for staff in Mears Care and changes occur on a regular basis and no communication with the staff.
You have no quality of life as expected to be available evenings weekends and when on annual leave.
Ask for support and expect not to get any as everyone is struggling themselves!!
Never seen so many stressed employees and everytime you want to a meeting more people had either left or gone under consultation!!!
How’s that for job security.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mears Group. Our community is ready to answer.