McMullen & Sons

McMullen & Sons Employee Reviews

United Kingdom45 reviews
Also noticed they always had my hours just so I wasn’t entitled get my free meal when I worked sometimes until 12 at night.
Rubbish pay

People I worked with made it worth it
I loved working for McMullen. They ensure the staff are well looked after. Everyone who works for them are generous and easy to get along with. They are such a nice company
If your face fits you might have yourself a low paid, undervalued career. It doesn't matter if you're doing back to back shifts, against EU regs because everyone else is happy to be walked all over.
most times you dont even get a break while working 13/14 hours

always doubted by what you do constantly pulled for mistakes that werent necessarily you
I worked for this company for many years only changed pub once to start management training (which did not happen for another two years after) once I complete my silver my money did not go up much at all, and with having to provide your own uniform, use your own fuel for bank runs and often end up locking up on your own, it was not very fair the wages especially as no tips are given to management, and we all know that’s how this industry staff survive
This pub had a few managers when I was there, which was very unsettling on the staff and customers. We often did not know what was going on

The reason I left was no support from area manager for issues with general manager.
Everyone was friendly. Everyone helped out. At times the job was very stressful but when it died down everyone had a laugh and a joke to de-stress. Overall it was a good experience and I would recommend it.
Assistant kitchen manager is very rude and unhygienic. Not many people stay there as kitchen assistant as they just leave you to do it all by yourself and then moan when you’ve worked 10 mins over your scheduled time.
Very hard work and very stressful atmosphere. Moody management and can be very rude.
At the time of my working I was under the age of 21, for the stress and loudness of the job the pay of £6.21 was far too little. The pay is not enough to even cover basic living.
Each individual pub/restaurant has its own quirks. The team can be great, but if the manager isn't proactive, the place will not be good to work in. Some managers avoid confrontation which makes working with slackers really tough.

Head Office and the area managers don't seem to offer much support, they wander in and have lunch/dinner, but don't often engage with the staff, other than manager / asst manager.

As a bar job / waiter job it's alright and the customers are usually good fun.
Temping role, though brief, was enjoyable and friendly.
Nice management and staff. Easy parking and location.

Reasonable working hours .

I learnt more of the brewing business and how the family run company had a long history in Hertford
working at mcmullens was a good time wasn't stressful and was engaging. very friendly team and very helpful and understanding with any problems.......
Good place to work nice friendly. Sorry I left but I thought it was time to take another step in a different direction. I'll say that you can work well and can go far in your job
Some of the staff were nice but generally the atmosphere was pretty bad. While everyone was on 0 hour contracts, with some people complaining they were working too much and others not being given enough hours to afford anything.
The two main management within behave disgustingly towards staff that they do not favourite. Can end up getting blanked by your own manager for a whole day whilst she sits and praises the others for work you did. Work all the overtime in the world, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, no respect for it, no respect for covering shifts etc. Only thing that kept me going was my fellow team members as they all were so lovely don’t work gere
If you are young & energetic this is the place for you. Weekends are especially busy. You get three hours prepping time in the morning. There are a variety of shifts available.
For some reason i cant just submit it without saying something. Overall McMullens is not a company i'd go back to work for and it thats about it in a nutshell.
Fun work, unsociable hours and often longer than planned.
Staff were lovely and of similar age, not guaranteed hours, bad pay considering the stress and job roles.
Unfortunately the management was unfair and did not treat me as a 17 year old who they knew had other things going on, they even acted shocked when i asked for Christmas day off.
I was not allowed breaks as it was so busy, and even if i went on a break regardless, they would not help me when there was stacks of plates to wash on my own.

Hours would vary, but i would normally work standing up flat out from 6 to midnight.
Pros
Cons
Long hours and bad management
I have been working full time at Mac`s for just over a year, I think it is the worst decision I have ever made. Just not the right fit for me at the moment...
Pros
Cons
Long hours, terrible pay
Started working whilst the pub was fairly new, GM quit after about a month, stressful work and unfair managers, very bias towards certain ‘team’ members, long shifts, working till close (12-1am) to be rota’d on at 10 the next morning, they exhaust you and you don’t even get a thank you
Pros
Pubs pretty
Cons
Long hours, untrusting managers, lack of breaks
IIt's by pleasure I work with McMullen Cooney almost 7 years. Its great company to work. Its easy to cominacatin woth copnay if need somerhing. Also good for money.
Pros
50% off on you meal if you woking more then 6 hiurs
Cons
Flaxible hours