McLaren

McLaren Employee Reviews

United Kingdom100 reviews
They really throw you in the deep end here, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. You just need to make sure you can swim. There can be no support when needed, depending on what is going on in the company at the time.
I would only recommend working at McLaren if you had no alternative employment. I wouldn’t say it’s the worst job I’ve ever had, but it’s the worst place I’ve ever worked. I was glad to get away when I did and now I’m much happier in my new employment. It’s definitely a place living in the legacy of once a great racing driver and true engineer. Now it’s full egotistical people with Micky mouse degrees. Definitely not for me.
Pros
Some good lads there
Cons
Management, production manager, “engineers”, the culture
A little bit of who you know not what you know goes on everywhere but I’ve never worked anywhere else where this is so prolific
The company “recommend a friend” scheme really helps this along, paying out thousands of £££ to team/group leaders when they give their friend/brother in law/ pretty Romanian girl a job often after interviewing them themselves!

Th
Pros
Pay was ok, not anymore
Cons
Unless your friend/relative works there don’t expect to be fairly treated.
Fun place to work but if you don’t get your nose brown you won’t progress. Progression is only for family members and yes men. Management is clueless and most are just upper managements mates
Pros
Canteen
Cons
It’s 3rd world food
nicely presented place but there is weird working hours due to lack of parking space. New workers usually have to park is city centre which cost about £8 per day and from parking you will travel about 15 minutes in company bus. Easy job at cmm facility most of the time you will measure windscreens. You can forget about daily writing programs. People are bit stressed because they want maximum bonus up to 10k
Pros
Fancy name in you cv, nice cars
Cons
working hours, parking problems, people are crazy about bonus
Very stressful and with 0 recognition about your efforts. You can work five hours extra per day spend your own money for expenses, giving 300% of your self to the company and still, you will never get a thank you.No matter how good you are. On the top of that, management is lazy with zero planing , they never learn or listen,and you can progress only if you are friends with someone.0 benefits working for them. If you like quality and good engineering find something else
Highly disappointed in my experience at mclaren. Told of companies desire to promote within and hit every KPI and more and still got rejected for promotion because they advertise for a strong personality type person with fresh ideas but they really want yes people who will not challenge them.
Pros
Met some nice people
Cons
They dont practice what they preach
The things i have seen in this company is just shocking the qwolity of the cars are so poor for the price of them nothing ever gets fixed just boged the cars will jut full apart just sitting still needs a hole new management team ones that can run a manufacturing company and they go on about a competitive wage thats just so bad i got offerd a job there for 8k less that what i was on in the Midlands where its cheaper to live
Pros
The staff on shop floor are good
Cons
Poor management
While it was excellent place to start with it was becoming less and less attractive over the time. It`s fairly good pay with the shift allowance bonus, but shifting pattern is quite hard to cope with in your life. You can learn a lot, but to progress you need to make friends and connections within higher ranks. They rarely appreciate you for your skills.

Management is terrible. Taking all their faults down on their subordinates. Can`t even cope with simpliest problems. They are unconsistant, changing their minds few times a day.
Pros
Shift allowance, possibility to learn new skills within the business and in the other areas of employment
Cons
Poor management, when it comes to salary there are better employers
McLaren can be great, but they to many leaders that keeps changing things, they rather keep the very slow & lazy but not the fast & hard workers in the job
Pros
no pros
Cons
don't listen to the hard workers
Good place to work, endless opportunities within the company , the more you put into the company the more you will get out of it, excellent brand and a great place to learn
Pros
money
Starts with daily briefing. Everyday comes with its challenges. We'll organised management. Friendly and cooperation working environment. Hardest part is the early morning carrying LCS pipes to site but all part of the job so no complaints. Most enjoyable part of the job was using the LCS machine to make thread, cutting off pipes and fixing fitting.
Pros
Learning new things everyday
Cons
Job doesn't last longer
Like any another company, good and bad stuffs. My main complain is related to the lack of management. Senior management not really prepared to drive the company to the success.
This is probably not the dream job you imagined. I was definitely a bit naive in thinking this was a good career move. The work in the production centre is relatively unskilled and monotonous and the likelihood of learning another assembly process is low. After a year of doing the same thing I'd had enough and found a more challenging position within mechanical engineering.
I spent 13 years there, moved though various departments, ending in quality, I had some health issues and was treated badly, in the end my health issues clashed with the change to a shift pattern I wasn’t consulted about this after many attempts With occupational health ,in the end I decided to take redundancy , and sort legal help not being happy about how I was treated!
The work varies from day to day my role has changed throughout the years I have been there and I have learned new skills. The experience of working track side have been enjoyable as well as quite stressful at times.
There is a lot of pressure to get things done in very tight time scales and of course everything that is fitted to the car has to be of the highest standards with high reliability the pressure of knowing what you do could put a car out of a race if it is nothing less than perfection is quite intense at times.

Winter months are hard when new cars are being built requiring to work long hours 70+ hours/week which is tiring and you still need to be at your best and produce the best parts possible.

The most enjoyable is when the cars are racing and you feel the pride of what you have achieved knowing you are just a handful of people who make this possible.
McLaren is a structured, evolving company with a good work environment and it is a great place to work. Workplace culture is strong, new ideas taken on board and acted upon
Fast-paced and dynamic environment, very stimulating and multicultural. There are many live projects running in parallel and good collaboration between different departments.
Its a nice experience
Its a lovely facility

Very clean working environment

You have the chance to work on beautiful cars

Management is bad, we are not numbers, we are human

Parking is a mess
I was given notice due to coronavirus and after receiving this I was also furloughed .How can you as a company -after leaving a person who has performed great for the company -can cut more money of the last payment of your employee ?That is immoral and unethical.
Cons
Dictatorship attitude - with no appreciation for the actual work or results that are delivered.

Very poor organisation and very poor and camouflaged product.
Pros
Cons
Long Hours