McColl's Retail Group Employee Reviews

Don't do it to yourself
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent14 February 2018
Worked there 2 years worse job ever trying get a day off is like waiting for Christmas come around staff are two faced management is shocking shop was like stepping back in time to the 50's always empty shelves massive security issues no panic alarms so if u got robbed ur bye ur self with no back up
Don’t.
Supervisor/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Birmingham11 February 2018
So the other staff were great, the management is not. Three robberies inside 12 months, manager missing for over 6 months and still no replacement. Relying fully on part time workers and being told that it’s not possible to hire new staff or additional safety for the store as we don’t make enough money.

Can’t say too much about flexibility as it wasn’t really an option. Terrible management made a possibly great job, dreadful.
Pros
Staff are lovely
Cons
Literally almost everything else
Cost focussed
Area Manager (Current Employee) –  Midlands7 February 2018
The problem with paying below market rate is you get below market performance. Trying to change for some time now but will eventually be acquired/eaten alive by competitors/online
Great company not much room for progression
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire6 February 2018
Great company bt very boring when used to working in a busy supermarket very nice management team but not much room to progress and salary was not reflective to most company's
Enjoyable job
Newspaper Delivery (Former Employee) –  Grays29 January 2018
I enjoyed working as part of McColl's. The environment was friendly. Good gob as a teen to get some money each week. Highly recommend it to young children.
Supervisor role (Former Employee) –  Chatham, Kent25 January 2018
This was an ok company to work for. The store was fine but the area management wasn’t great. Their was a lot of things that were self taught. Customers and work colleagues with in the store were great.
Pros
Your Regular customers
Worst Employers ever
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  East Lothian19 January 2018
If you are looking for a job with guaranteed contracted hours and a friendly work place then you’ve come to the wrong job. I have worked for Mccolls for almost a year and I have hated every single second of it, one moment I was told my hours were being cut and the next I wasn’t being given shifts I had already made clear I couldn’t do. The atmosphere was so tense and uptight all the time that the customers even felt uncomfortable, I really do not recommend working for this company as they are not respectful of their employees.
Pros
There are none
Cons
Terrible Managers, Not getting to clock out when your shift ends, no guarantee of a break and unnecessary early starts
productive
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chatham, Kent18 January 2018
was a fine workplace but poor salary
staff were mostly nice
good security
not very flexible with hours they give,
not the hardest job in the world but can get busy or doing deliverys can be tough sometimes.
Nice happy store to work in
Manager (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen City14 January 2018
Most enjoyable part of my job is dealing with the public. Typical days work starts at 5am, fill up stock, count takings and do the banking, take in deliveries. Make sure store is trading well and within the law. No day is typical as everyday is different and I learn something new very day, whether it's about my job or myself. In the the shop I manage we have a very good team that work well together which makes work a happy place to be. Normal day ends for me at 14.30pm, however at times I am required to work later for the needs of the business.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Salary and store needs refurishment
Worse company ever
Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Devon11 January 2018
Disgusting kitchen/toilets
No respect for their employees
All about making
Always trying to cut hours
Never enough staff in to operate effectively
Pros
Cons
Bad pay
Fun
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Basingstoke, Hampshire9 January 2018
I got promoted really quickly and had a lot of fun, made loads of friends and also gave me good hours. The money I received and the benefits in the job are truly worth it.
Worst place to work for... EVER!
CTM (Former Employee) –  Blackley, Greater Manchester8 January 2018
Staff left 1 on 1 to not only cope with the daily running of the store, but also as makeshift security.
Management is questionable. Staff left alone on shop floor for long periods of time while management sit in office doing very little. Even when deliveries arrive.
The company really takes the proverbial.
Since the "PROJECT DETROIT" deal that saw mccolls take over some co op stores, it is abundantly clear that this company has zero experience running anything bigger than a newsagents!
Certain ctm's left to do supervisor role without any additional pay, thanks or reward, just so other members of management can have the day off or call in sick to avoid their wrong doings in store.
The area manager is a joke. Never wants to take your grievances seriously, even when it is a serious health and safety breach.
If you are young and inexperienced, then this may be the place for you. But, if you want a decent place of employment with career advancement, job security and safety? Then look elsewhere.
Cons
Bad management. Unsanitary. Health and safety concerns.
Dire
Shop Floor Worker (Current Employee) –  North West8 January 2018
Badc customers, violence, poor cctv, no security guards ,poor repairs...Bad training, poor management...Rotas not given early enough, sickness levels vety high, confidentially non existent. Very lazy area managers.
No union , staff ok but lack any motivation, if face fits yoyr ok if not then..
Pros
Non
Cons
Too many to list
fun workplace
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wirral, Merseyside7 January 2018
wasn't a dull moment, always had a laugh with who ever was on shift. the boss was kind and caring about his staff. shop was well organised ran like clockwork everyone had a job and they got done on time.
Pros
good colleagues
do not apply!
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Redditch4 January 2018
favourtism
mangement dont care about you.
nothing is done even if there is an issue. i recommend no one applies

nothing enjoyable about this place
Pros
no pros
Cons
everything
Very unorganised.
Stocktaker (Former Employee) –  Dunstable, Bedfordshire3 January 2018
I worked for McColl's as a stock taker for 2 years and the way the staff are treated is disgusting no matter how hard you work you will not be rewarded. I was also getting pulled into doing other jobs that had nothing to do with the job I applied for.
Pros
home early
Cons
Bad managment
Good
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Trimsaran29 December 2017
While working at McColls I learned how money is processed and counted and I also learned how produce is put onto shelves. Overall the job was Safe, Enjoyable and Educational.
Pros
Very flexible hours
Cons
Non
Store Manager
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands29 December 2017
Joined this company as a store manager, the HR department is a joke. Visited several stores, all managers would complain about higher managers! Awful
The worst company ever
Deputy Manager (Current Employee) –  Wolverhampton, West Midlands28 December 2017
It's ridiculous. Worked in wolverhampton branch more theft than profit.

It is a load of ****

Bad hours
Poor area manager
Vile staff
Pros
Nothin
Good starter job
Newspaper Delivery (Former Employee) –  Ashford, Kent28 December 2017
This was your typical newspaper delivery job. Had quite good pay for an underage worker, especially for my first job. £50 a month for 2 weekend shifts which lasted ~1 hour, where you delivered newspapers. Occasionally worked overtime and did the other half of my village as the rounds were split into two.