McColl's Retail Group Employee Reviews

good company to work for
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Winsford, Cheshire7 December 2017
I enjoyed working for McColl's as I had learned thing I never thought I could. I was made supervisor after 6 months and I enjoyed the new challenges it involved. I also worked in the post office as it was apart of the shop
Overall positive
Paper Round (Former Employee) –  Witham4 December 2017
Although the wages were not great, the management was extremely good and supportive and job helped me get into a routine of a working life and helped me understand what working life is like.
One of the worst employers i have ever had
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Merseyside1 December 2017
Managers dont have a clue and couldnt care less about there employees. Regularly told that you have to do overtime. Been in understaffed shops and been told i had to work 7 days a week. Better off being unemployed than working for martin mccoll
Poorly run dirty shops a
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brentwood28 November 2017
Just handed in my notice with this company after three year ... very poorly run will sack you at the drop of a hat.... lone trading . Poor pay... management bang on about training but seem poorly trained theirselves .... no balance for you with your home life of work life.... very demanding of your time one minute then no hours the next.... seems they will employ anyone as no one stays very long ... I really could go on and on and it’s all bad
Pros
Cons
They just use you and never thank you
Not a bad place to work
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Harlow, Essex15 November 2017
It's a good place to work if your face fits, if it doesnt no matter how hard you work they don't really appreciate it. They expect too much sometimes.
Cons
Long hours for little reward
Overall it was good to work for but could be quite hard to do.
Paperboy (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth12 November 2017
The hardest part of the job was trying to carry over 20 papers with magazines on one shoulder whilst trying to ride a bike and would be made even harder if it was in the middle of winter.

The most enjoyable part of the job was receiving Christmas bonuses from the customers and the atmosphere of the job.

On a typical day at work the job would be fairly easy and quick with no big problems.

I learned to be polite to the customers and the staff.
Pros
Christmas bonuses
Cons
Cold mornings
Great job other than the pay
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stevenage, Hertfordshire10 November 2017
The typical day for me would be serving people on the till throughout the whole day, if there aren't any people in the shop I would go isle by isle facing up and cleaning each isle. I would also take stock out and put it out on the shelves. I usually served until 6:30 on on a normal day and then I would start the newspaper recalls, I would clean up and face up for the last time until I finish at 7:30.

Some of the things I learned included serving people on tills, resolving heated situations and I also developed my communication skills.

I like the hours as most of the time they're set the week before so if anything comes up short notice my manager could change my hours, I also like that the work isn't stressful or really busy alot of the time, but sometimes it was too quiet. However, I find the pay really poor compared to the majority of other places.

The most difficult part of my job are the Saturday and Sunday mornings where there is a large amount of people to deal with as sometimes 5-6 join the line in a few seconds. The most enjoyable part of my job is when I'm not serving and doing something else like the newspaper recalls or bringing stock out.
Pros
Flexible hours, nice colleagues, and it's not stressful
Cons
Poor pay
productive and fun work place
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Peterhead28 October 2017
fun working environment good group of workers and was fantastic with customers and helped out when they were stuck. management was also fantastic to work with overall a fantastic company to work for
Pros
good company
fun work place
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond20 October 2017
the staff were great to work with.
the hours were good.
the store was not far away from my home.
the parking was free
the locals always made your shift better
Pros
the team was good
Cons
not being able to have a hour lunch break off the premises
Rubbish!!!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Teesside, North Yorkshire17 October 2017
Honestly the worse company I've worked for

Senior management are terrible.....

No progression unless your 'in with the regional management'

Some shocking managers in the area who get away with alsorts
Pros
Good chance to build a team
Cons
Long hours. Poor pay. No chance to develop
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  The quadrant St Albans10 October 2017
Great place to work, I have been a dedicated worker here for 26 years .
McColls is the place to work for learning all kinds of skills and it is different every day
Friendly and professional
Paper Girl (Current Employee) –  Blurton9 October 2017
Always felt welcome and valued within the workplace. It is community within the paper deliverers and shop floor staff are always on hand if you have any questions.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Limited work
fun workplace
Newspaper Delivery (Former Employee) –  SALTNEY, Flintshire4 October 2017
The entire staff would always make you happy and feel good and always encourage you to help out as much as you can. McColls always opened early getting me used to the early lifestyle and got me pumped up and ready for the day with even just little conversation and laughter.
Pros
discount
Cons
newspapers could come late and then i delivered late.
Typical work day
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Combe Down3 October 2017
My day would begin by sorting papers ready for delivery and setting up the store ready for trading this would include the Post Office.

Serving customers both retail and Post Office.

Taking and checking all stock deliveries received.

Carrying out daily stock counts and stock rotation.
Pros
The customers
Cons
Working conditions
Decent place to work
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Worthing, West Sussex2 October 2017
Been working at McColls for a year, company in general is quite badly run. Bad pay and deal with situations badly. Fellow colleagues are great and feel so comfortable around them always have a laugh.
Pros
Staff members
Cons
Bad pay
Easy work
Paper boy (Former Employee) –  Grimsby30 September 2017
Good management but staff was not payed fairly, didn’t get payed all of my wages, staff didn’t really care about the people the papers were going to as sometimes the papers weren’t there.
Pros
Alright management
Cons
Awful pay
Ok place to work
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Gosport, Hampshire28 September 2017
Generally i find McColls OK to work for. A typical day is dealing with customers and working stock and delivery. The part of my job i enjoy the most is dealing with my daily customers.
Fun
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durham, Durham27 September 2017
It's is a very good place to work and is very good hours, good pay for what you do! You get a staff discount on everything in the shop which I think is very good
Pros
Discount
Cons
Hours vary
Avoid Avoid Avoid.
Supervisor/senior sales (Former Employee) –  Greater Manchester22 September 2017
The management is a joke. The company DO NOT CARE about their staff or customers. They are stubborn, do not listen or take advise when its needed and are very tight with money. All they want to do is make money. In this company YOU ARE completely replaceable. I hated being a part of the awfully run business.
Pros
It's a job.
Cons
No work life balance, terrible wage, company make it clear you are not important.
horrible
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire14 September 2017
I worked for McColls for 2 years, I have to say it is a terrible company to work for. The day to day jobs were boring and pointless. There was never much to do, you could also a lot of favouritism amounst the staff with the store managers and area managers. They have silly work policies. It is one of those jobs where you dred going into work even for 4 hours because you know it is going to be the longest and most draining 4 hours of your life.They also play on the fact that they can pay you the national minimum wage paying anyone within the company that was younger the 21 £5.60 an hour.
Cons
long hours, boring shifts, low pay