McColl's Retail Group Employee Reviews

Rubbish!!!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Teesside, North Yorkshire17 October 2017
Honestly the worse company I've worked for

Senior management are terrible.....

No progression unless your 'in with the regional management'

Some shocking managers in the area who get away with alsorts
Pros
Good chance to build a team
Cons
Long hours. Poor pay. No chance to develop
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  The quadrant St Albans10 October 2017
Great place to work, I have been a dedicated worker here for 26 years .
McColls is the place to work for learning all kinds of skills and it is different every day
Friendly and professional
Paper Girl (Current Employee) –  Blurton9 October 2017
Always felt welcome and valued within the workplace. It is community within the paper deliverers and shop floor staff are always on hand if you have any questions.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Limited work
fun workplace
Newspaper Delivery (Former Employee) –  SALTNEY, Flintshire4 October 2017
The entire staff would always make you happy and feel good and always encourage you to help out as much as you can. McColls always opened early getting me used to the early lifestyle and got me pumped up and ready for the day with even just little conversation and laughter.
Pros
discount
Cons
newspapers could come late and then i delivered late.
Typical work day
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Combe Down3 October 2017
My day would begin by sorting papers ready for delivery and setting up the store ready for trading this would include the Post Office.

Serving customers both retail and Post Office.

Taking and checking all stock deliveries received.

Carrying out daily stock counts and stock rotation.
Pros
The customers
Cons
Working conditions
Decent place to work
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Worthing, West Sussex2 October 2017
Been working at McColls for a year, company in general is quite badly run. Bad pay and deal with situations badly. Fellow colleagues are great and feel so comfortable around them always have a laugh.
Pros
Staff members
Cons
Bad pay
Easy work
Paper boy (Former Employee) –  Grimsby30 September 2017
Good management but staff was not payed fairly, didn’t get payed all of my wages, staff didn’t really care about the people the papers were going to as sometimes the papers weren’t there.
Pros
Alright management
Cons
Awful pay
Ok place to work
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Gosport, Hampshire28 September 2017
Generally i find McColls OK to work for. A typical day is dealing with customers and working stock and delivery. The part of my job i enjoy the most is dealing with my daily customers.
Fun
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durham, Durham27 September 2017
It's is a very good place to work and is very good hours, good pay for what you do! You get a staff discount on everything in the shop which I think is very good
Pros
Discount
Cons
Hours vary
Avoid Avoid Avoid.
Supervisor/senior sales (Former Employee) –  Greater Manchester22 September 2017
The management is a joke. The company DO NOT CARE about their staff or customers. They are stubborn, do not listen or take advise when its needed and are very tight with money. All they want to do is make money. In this company YOU ARE completely replaceable. I hated being a part of the awfully run business.
Pros
It's a job.
Cons
No work life balance, terrible wage, company make it clear you are not important.
horrible
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire14 September 2017
I worked for McColls for 2 years, I have to say it is a terrible company to work for. The day to day jobs were boring and pointless. There was never much to do, you could also a lot of favouritism amounst the staff with the store managers and area managers. They have silly work policies. It is one of those jobs where you dred going into work even for 4 hours because you know it is going to be the longest and most draining 4 hours of your life.They also play on the fact that they can pay you the national minimum wage paying anyone within the company that was younger the 21 £5.60 an hour.
Cons
long hours, boring shifts, low pay
Whole company needs an overhaul
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  North West13 September 2017
The manager would work all the nicest shifts leaving one person to work all the evening shifts by themselves, there was no rotation.

There would only ever be one person working the evening leaving them quite vulnerable and unable to really have a break.

The stock rooms and other back rooms are disgustingly dirty!

Wage is rubbish. The whole company just feels like it needs a major update.
Good if you want a lot of overtime
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Runcorn7 September 2017
Good to work for, got a lot of over time, however was the one to be called in when others called in sick, didn't mins the overtime it was fantastic but most weeks on a 24 hour contract I'd be doing about 60. Quite tiring, late unsociable hours.
Pros
Overtime available
Cons
Long hours, tiring
Terrible
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire4 September 2017
I worked as Branch Manager in Cambridge for 1 yr, believe me it's the worst company I've ever worked for in my life, I did 3 months with no day off, very difficult to employ new staff as it's only minimum wage and your given not enough hrs to cover the store, you start at 5am and your on your own, not very safe at all, then I had 20 paperboys/girls & what a nightmare that is!!!

The first 3 hrs in the morning I was on my own, as not enough hrs, you get several boxes of magazines that you have to scan in, then there's the newspapers to sort, yr lucky if u get a break all day, I've seen many Mccolls stores close and that's a good thing, it's a terrible company that's why they always advertise, the one I worked in finally closed down, another Con is that they pressure u with link sales, basically every customer u have to ask them if they want to buy a certain product, very annoying for customers and us as employees.

Beware of stock loss from magazines, it was a nightmare for every manager, u have to put regular claims in as Smiths mess up and when u have a stock take, the chances are you will get the sack, they also set u up with age related sales & if u fail they investigate u and will sack you...
Pros
They will employ anyone
Cons
Long hrs, low pay, no staff, dirty stores
good peolle
Paper Boy (Former Employee) –  Faringdon, Oxfordshire4 September 2017
Alway friendly helpful always help if needing a day off from my paper round given extra money when helping out if people are away very good place to work
Pros
helpful if needing a day off my papers
fun workplace
Paper Boy (Former Employee) –  Strood, Kent23 August 2017
it was fun while the job lasted and the pay was good but could of been a little more because of my age at the time of work at mcolls and the round i had to deliver to was pretty close
Terrible workplace
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, Lincolnshire16 August 2017
No matter how desperate you are for a job this company is an avoid at all costs! So much is expected of you with the wages very very poor! Avoid at all costs!!
now leftsupervisor
Supervisor/Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire13 August 2017
Typical day at work was working none stop. Not allowed a break, manager constantly criticing other staff, manager never worked evenings or weekends but expected staff to work 10 hour shifts on a weekend. was origanaly another company but was taken over by Mccolls. They bully you into not having your contracted hours.
Pros
Cons
Bullying culture
Not nice at all
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Netheravon, Wiltshire10 August 2017
Horrible working atmosphere. Gossip and rumours between all staff. Management tell staff off in front of customers. Try and force you into working overtime on your days off.
Nice Workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kempston, Bedfordshire8 August 2017
The staff are all loverly and the environment is wonderful. The pay is a bit rubbish to start with but if you are lucky enough to more up the success ladder the pay get alot better
Pros
Lovely Staff
Cons
Bad Pay