McColl's Retail Group Employee Reviews

Terrible workplace
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, Lincolnshire16 August 2017
No matter how desperate you are for a job this company is an avoid at all costs! So much is expected of you with the wages very very poor! Avoid at all costs!!
now leftsupervisor
Supervisor/Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire13 August 2017
Typical day at work was working none stop. Not allowed a break, manager constantly criticing other staff, manager never worked evenings or weekends but expected staff to work 10 hour shifts on a weekend. was origanaly another company but was taken over by Mccolls. They bully you into not having your contracted hours.
Pros
Cons
Bullying culture
Nice Workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kempston, Bedfordshire8 August 2017
The staff are all loverly and the environment is wonderful. The pay is a bit rubbish to start with but if you are lucky enough to more up the success ladder the pay get alot better
Pros
Lovely Staff
Cons
Bad Pay
Nope
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  West Sussex6 August 2017
I'm a supervisor with martins currently, I have to say how bad the way that McColl's run their shops, having one person on their own for most if not all of the day is not secure. I've had to work 46 hour weeks because my manager is absent almost all the time. I've never had a break.I run the post office and the shop at the same time essentially. I work 13 hour shifts and although i have the best colleagues and customers, i can tell you that's the only bonus you'll get, the people.

What i have learned, reviews don't lie. It's not a typical day unless something breaks or there's something wrong with the post office.

The best part of the job, is the people i work with, the other supervisors and sales assistants are fantastic and are worth their weight in gold.

The hardest part of my job is doing everything all day, alone.

If you want to work as a team to have fair hours and get paid what your worth. look elsewhere, I know I am.
Pros
Great collegues
Cons
Long Hours, Bad Pay, Bad management
Avoid. Worst company ever!
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  North East4 August 2017
Unsafe lone working is the main trend even on Friday and Saturday nights, The low pay doesn't justify it. 4/5 of the shops I worked in fall flat of basic health and safety. All this company cares about is pure profit. Even at the expense of the customers (waiting in big queues) as the last thing you'll get is two tills on, No matter what the hourly sales. This company have no interest in developing staff, and seem happy to have a huge staff turnover. They loose hard working staff as the mentality is any monkey can do it. Don't do this job even if you're desperate (that's what I did) Avoid at all costs. Something better will come up.
Pros
Some nice regular customers
Cons
Everything else
Just awful
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Midsomer Norton, Somerset1 August 2017
I started this job as I lived on the same street so it was convenient for me. That's about all that was good about it. Management never seemed to care about the under staff. We had a robbery and mccolls tried any way they could to blame it on the staff. As well as being expected to work 13 hour shifts because the company refuses to bring in extra staff to cover holiday and sickness. Staff moral is at an all time low. And have just recently lost a relative and the management couldn't have cared less about it. Upon asking for compassionate leave. They said I wasn't entitled to it. (Which was a lie to get management out of working extra hours)
Pros
Loved the team i worked with
Cons
Shocking management and long hours
Sales Assistant
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Malvern Wells26 July 2017
It's an alright job but the whole system what you use on the tills is very bad and needs to be updated especially when you are serving 5-8 customers and it completely shuts down and has to reboot.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
No break's even when working an 8 hour shift
Shop
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Southmead, Bristol22 July 2017
We have a good team they become like family . Theres always hour going. It is always busy and you get to have regular customers you look forward to coming in
Pros
Good team
Cons
Low pay
Paper Boy (Current Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent19 July 2017
A typical day at work would have me going into the shop on the weekends around 8'o'clock to pick up my paper round which typically takes around 45 minutes. In this job, I haven't learned much, as the job I did didn't require any skills and so I couldn't improve on or learn any new skills. The management of the place kept changing, as throughout the time working here there have been 4 managers in place. One of the hardest parts of this job would be the frequently reoccurring occasions where the newspapers weren't correctly counted and so I would have to go back to the shop pick up more newspapers and deliver them to the correct places which would result in me being late for other events outside of work. On the other hand, the most enjoyable part of the job was meeting employees who did the same job as me.
Pros
A 10% discount from anything in the shop.
Used
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Ellesmere Port17 July 2017
Having been promised some much by the company I moved and took a branch manager role only to let down the second I was in, one thing I have learnt about these guys is the management structure is woeful at best and health and safety doesn't seem to concern them one bit.
Pros
Customers
Absolute joke
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire17 July 2017
Mangement useless, work on a basis of you work the shifts given no matter what even if it's not in your abaliblity.
Wouldn't recommend anyone working for them
Pros
Non
nice place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harwell, Oxfordshire13 July 2017
I worked as a supervisor and it was long hours bit the customers were always nice

the management was not that good. it felt like you worked 8n a sweet box.
Pros
good customers
Worst job ever
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow9 July 2017
This is the worst company I have ever worked for, I gave up my entire social life to maintain this job. I have even missed funerals as the management wouldn't lift a finger to get me covered for the shifts or give me time off. I have worked for the company for 2 years now and I've had about 3 weekends off not including the holiday time.
Pros
There are none
Cons
Way too much
Good work place
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Portchester9 July 2017
I enjoyed working here as I got to work to my full potential. The staff were all really friendly and good to work with which made my position even better
slow workinh
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Harrogate, North Yorkshire8 July 2017
Nice place to work just is a very quiet shop so once all work is complete there is losts of time waiting around there is only so much you can clean a shop before it is really clean
Pros
nice stafg
Cons
slow shifts
Bad place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hertfordshire29 June 2017
Minimum wage (for your age if you're under 25 as well). I started when I was 16 so meagre pay but I didn't think many other places would hire 16yo.
Management was good to start with then the manager left and they couldn't get another one because no one wants to work there. I was there for about 3 more months, working with different people each week who were covering so didn't get to know anyone. High staff turnover.
Newspapers are often not delivered by supplier or the paper boys don't come in so you're constantly dealing with customers angry about their newspapers. I even got sent to do the rounds when the paper boys didn't come in sometimes. I got paid extra for it but it's not what I signed up for.
I did overtime in the week and the people who worked then were nice but I only worked then in the holiday. I'd be told I was doing overtime in the morning then go in and be told it had changed to afternoon. Very unorganised.
The actual work was easy because it was a quiet shop, it was boring and lonely a lot of the time.
They were always open on bank holidays and new years day even though no one came in so that was very boring.
Don't waste your time. Don't know why I stayed so long.
Cons
Long shifts, minimum wage, angry customers, poor management
Fun place to work
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lincoln23 June 2017
Excellent staff and management isn't bad either, although sometimes the customer s can be hard work but apart from that the work is relatively easy but supervisors don't get paid enough
I enjoyed my job
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Crawley, West Sussex14 June 2017
Always happy to make people smile I'm great with customers they are great food quality they have a lot of customers and enjoy social experience mangerment are also great and hard working
Pros
Good fpod
Cons
If you wanted to be treated bad this is the place for you
Supervisor Assistant (Current Employee) –  Norfolk8 June 2017
McColls only care about money shops falling apart no air con working security systems shocking especially with store with post offices managers with no back bones and allow staff to pick and choose their hours they work and get away with anything Rota's done by sales assistants. Supervisors expected to perform miracles even being made to work16 hours shift 5am-10pm doing Food to go post office running a shift chilled and ambient deliveries the few staff that are hard working are either quitting or being treated poorly. This company is open 365 days a year and only double pay for Christmas Day no other really insensitives. No morale everyone moans about everyone to staff AND CUSTOMERS. 10% discount is a slap in the face really don't work for this company
Pros
Customers few nice staff
Brilliant part time job
Co-op (Former Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire, UK6 June 2017
Understanding, kind and thoughtful staff and customers, I honestly enjoyed every second here and couldn't have wished for a better workplace. Pay was good and standard of work was beyond what I was expecting/
Pros
Discounts and friendly staff