McColl's Retail Group Employee Reviews

Ex supervisor at martin mCcolls
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire8 November 2019
Awfull place to work , bad management. I was working 52 hours a week 7 days a week without any days off for 4 weeks . No cover to help me . Poor wages I was on 35p more for running the shop than a sales assistant. Utterly disgusting. No prospect for working their .do mot work for this company unless you dont have a family or a life cause you will never hardly see them
Productive and relaxed
paper round (Former Employee) –  shandwick place, edinburgh8 November 2019
Management was always very nice and understanding. Were always very appreciative of the job you did.

Always kept me updated if new staff were coming in and polite in asking if I could cover for someone.
Supervisor / sales assitant
Supervisor/Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire7 November 2019
There is no cover if you are ill , night time work very dangerous to work have to keep your eyes every where.
They keep you occupied for 7 days contract is 20 hours a week .
as supervisor you must serve on till , check dates, fill shop up , check stock , take delivery, keep store clean , cash up check short code diary fill all cleaning , baking paper sheets this is daily base for all this one persons job.
Ok
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Walsall Wood6 November 2019
The job in itself is fairly easy but there’s heavy lifting required and no male staff to help.
You have to push sales which can seem to be the only thing they care about.
The company don’t care about their employees whatsoever.
But it’s a good job to start out in and sometimes can work around your lifestyle.
Dont work there
Deputy Manager (Current Employee) –  Doncaster, South Yorkshire2 November 2019
Horrible place to work they expect everything for nothing. If your looking for an easy job where you wont progress or get a thanks for anything this is the company.
My experience
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Carterton, Oxfordshire1 November 2019
Working at Mccols
- was completely unsafe.
- Mccols as a company should never leave people alone to open or close a store especially closing at 10pm at night Makes it an extremely easy target if for burglars with just one staff member.
Okay but not brilliant
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Weston-super-Mare1 November 2019
Really enjoyed working in the shop environment, lovely work colleagues, absolutely amazing regular customers, lush area, rarely saw area manager or any other type of higher management, rubbish training, minimum wage for work that should be paid more
Do not do it to your self
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands30 October 2019
You will get on well in this company if you have no opinion and you don't speak the truth. Managers are only out for themselves. Do the rota to suit them and generally are not very fair or professional.
Pros
Customers ( most of them)
Cons
Where do i start
Poor Management.
Retail Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wrexham, Wrexham30 October 2019
The company in itself isn't a bad one to work for. Its the management, they don't care about you or anything going on to do with you. I had to operate the store on my own numerous times after the manager refused to come in to assist even with an attempted theft with weapons had taken a few days prior, on another occasion refused to let us close the store even though it was being robbed consistently and we were losing more money than we were making by staying open on that day.
Fun and productive but dangerous
Sales assistant and Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Whitefield, Greater Manchester29 October 2019
Very fun work environment which has a constantly changing environment with no lack of things to be doing.

All staff are very friendly and are all at a high working standard.

Downside is that i didn't always feel safe there as i was involved in a robbery and assault with another employee. As well as many other minor thefts that occur daily.
Pros
Lot to do, friendly staff
Cons
Not as safe as you should be
McColls gave me the job experience I need.
Paper Boy (Former Employee) –  Meopham, Kent25 October 2019
Working as a McColls delivery boy allowed me to earn my own money, pay was not the best but for teenagers looking for extra cash and work experience, I would recommend McColls. The hardest part of the job for me was getting up early and having to do rounds for other people however it was very rewarding getting extra pay. Staff were friendly and helpful especially when I first started working for them.
jobs
trainee (Former Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire24 October 2019
job not serten but coleges are a fantastic people to work with. job opportunities was limited to working in the back with the stock or frunt of house replenishing stock tlrotating stock but was not able to operate the till side of things.
So bad
Supervisor - Full Time (Former Employee) –  Downend Bristol24 October 2019
Everything about working there is bad. Nothing is to health and safety, nothing to to code. No unsocial-able hours and they leave you unattended in bad hours and could be attacked while left alone
productive but slow workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire23 October 2019
this was a good job and helped me gain many new skills however most times working the afternoon shift the pace was really slow and didn't feel like there was anything i could do unless there was a customer in the shop.
The higher you go, the worse it gets
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Southport20 October 2019
Stable, secure job. Go higher up, work in loads of different stores and stick around long enough, and you see the unfairness of some of the higher management. People who should have been sacked years ago are praised, where people who have shown genuine loyalty to the company, suffering the poor work/ life balance and all, don't get a break. Good for part time jobbers.
Very bad workplace and unsafe location
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bd7 great horton20 October 2019
I have not enjoyed working for this company..I was not allowed any days off when I was sick as they had "lack of staff" the safety is zero percent..robberies always taking place and the manager will not take any precautions to protect its workers. The pay is terrible and if you don't cover someone's shift they threaten to fire you. I do not recommend this workplace. Lastly the colleagues at the bd7 great Horton mccols branch ate the worst!! They spread too much rumours and are very very fake and unfriendly. Especially the female staff members.
Pros
No pros whatsoever
Cons
Very short breaks, lack off staff so you're always asked to cover other people's shifts, unsafe environment, unfriendly staff
Dreadful backwards company
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom19 October 2019
Bloody awful place to work, problem is once you're in you're stuck, and unless you're sleeping with a director you wont get anywhere. Everyone that works "out and about" is having an affair with someone from a store or a colleague the works on a different department
Tiring but well paid paper round.
Week day, Saturday and Sunday paper delivery person (Former Employee) –  Sheffield18 October 2019
I would get up at around 7 every morning before school and do a 1-1.5 hour paper round. Most days the work was managable but the paper bags could be extremely heavy on saturdays due to all the supplements. The hardest part of the job would have been the weight of the papers but this was could be avoided with alternative methods of carrying the papers rather than the provided paper bags. The walks in the morning were nice and the tips at christmas were great.
Pros
discount at the shop and christmas tips
Cons
heavy bags
Quite enjoyable for the most part
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Giffnock, East Renfrewshire18 October 2019
I learnt a lot about working on my own quite a bit as it was single manning store in the mornings, and senior management wasn’t always available to assist with problems, meaning a lot of problem solving and initiative was needed. Talking to customers was a big part of the job and the most enjoyable bit too.
McColl's Howard Drive
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Borehamwood, Hertfordshire17 October 2019
I had fun working in there.
People who I met and with people who I worked.
Awesome management.
Minimum wage.Hard to be promoted.
10% Staff discount
Hard to keep with social life.
But work by itself pretty good.
But I know it depends with who u r working.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McColl's Retail Group. Our community is ready to answer.