McColl's Retail Group Employee Reviews

Fun workplace, easy going environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hampden Park14 June 2018
The work at McColls was thoroughly enjoyable, the staff were friendly, and it was such a nice way to connect with customers. It caused me to become more confident within myself and to become more independent. It taught me how to connect and socialize with different types of customers (old, young) and taught me the basics of working in a normal business environment. There was never a day where I was dreading going to work. The management was nice, I really got on with my boss. The hardest part of the job was doing the lottery for people, I could never understand how to do it on the screen but I always had the staff helping me out with it to the point where I started to manage doing the lottery on my own.
Good experience
Newspaper Delivery Person (Former Employee) –  Cirencester8 June 2018
Had to collect papers from the local shop then sort out where they had be delivered.
Had to plan the efficient route around Cirencester to get the papers delivered as quickly as possible.
Pros
Enjoyed the walk
Cons
Weaather when it was raining or snowing
Robbed constantly
General Manager and Licensee (Current Employee) –  Manchester8 June 2018
Stores are constantly robbed, personally assaulted on 4 seperate occasions. Collegues held at knife point, numerous threats and physical harm and nothing ever done to ease employees or help with constant issues. COnstant hours cuts and never enough staff to besafe
Pros
Cons
Constant robberis, shoplifters
more management needed
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birkenhead7 June 2018
see above.. need a more structural review in my current branch. would be nice if people left handovers during the end of their shift for others to view
Pros
consistent
Cons
Worst company too work for
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Hoddesdon4 June 2018
I was a branch manager for 6 months , got too be the worst job I have ever had . No help from the higher management , always moaning never saying anything good ! Prices too expensive . Rubbish pay for ALL staff! NO work like balance whatsoever ! The list goes on
Cons
good start to my work career.
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingsway2 June 2018
I would work a variety of 4,6,8 hours shifts consisting of: serving customers, restocking shelves and fridges, taking deliveries and preparing food. I would also clean out the food cabinets, hot dog machine and coffee machine nearing the end of my shift. i would also help shut up the shift at the end of the day.
Pros
discount card
Cons
to many hours.
Promise of career progression but doesn’t happen
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Yorkshire and Humberside25 May 2018
Completed several internal development programmes however the company overlooks internal candidates and either recruits external candidates or splits jobs between others to save costs.
Being a manager is ok however you will not feel valued by the company at all. You get left to sort literally everything out especially when short-staffed, you don’t get support from other stores and are expected to work all hours yourself if there is no-one else to do it. Even when having time off you still get bothered with trivial problems staff should be able to sort out themselves.
Pros
Pick own shifts
Cons
Not valued by the company, long hours with no support when short-staffed
Great!!
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dorset22 May 2018
The only bad thing to say is that the security do not do their jobs properly. They expect us to deal with violent behavior.
Managment is great. Discount is ok.
Pros
Managment
Cons
Centre security
Terrible company to work for
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  North Wales21 May 2018
Do not look after their staff. Run them into the ground. Lone work is unsafe. Management are bullies and uncompassionate. Not a safe environment to work in and you are unable to do your job properly due to poor equipment.
Pros
Good staff
Cons
Unsafe and no support
great place to learn new skills
Work Placement Student (Former Employee) –  tupton chesterfield1 May 2018
assisted with deliveries and shelf replenishment.
served customers on the till
learnt how to sell lottery tickets
staff and management were patient and helpful with me pointing out areas that needed improvement to help me develop
Loved it.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hartlepool24 April 2018
McColls are a great company to work for, along with the staff, management and customers. always had something to do even though it was a small shop. great experience.
as a means to get by
Senior Supervisor/Shift Deputy Manger (Current Employee) –  Stalmine16 April 2018
good for a gap fill cant hack it anymore it payes the bills but i wouldnt choose it as a career i fin to be under paid and over worked and my manager is useless
Pros
pension
Cons
everythinf
Its a good job if you dont have a family
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Colchester5 April 2018
Ive worked for this company for many years now, and am now finding it hard to get a equal level with work and family. There are weeks that you will go with out a day off. Your shifts can changed from day to day. I have a very good area Manager who is always there to help you
Pros
if you are a worker the hours are there
Cons
if you have a family, you wont see much of them
nice customers
Cashier/Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Watford3 April 2018
fab customers fab staff overall a nice place to work local to my home serving customers handling cash stock taking deliveries putting them away having a laugh with the customers
Pros
fab customers fab staff local
Cons
Not as bad as people say
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  North East25 March 2018
It's a job with progression. Basic wages from the bottom. Yes shifts can be long but if you want the money you will work them. Manager support is good. Store security is not, that's down to the company rather than manager.
Managers in the past either been sacked or quit so God knows who hires them.
Store cleanliness is ok
Prices little on expensive side buts it's a convience store so expect to pay a little more.
Friendly staff
Expect to be told to try upsell
Pros
Good team, easy job
Cons
Long hours, sometimes boring, poor wages
Work like a dog for peanuts
Store Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Greater Manchester25 March 2018
No reward. No security. No care.
Awful place to work. Management are happy to go home and leave one member of staff working. Who cares if someone comes in with a gun. Oh and if that does happen, don’t think you’ll be getting any paid time off work to get over it. Absolute jokers. Supervisors paid 15p an hour more than other staff. Not worth it in the slightest.
Cons
It was a good company to work for
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ipswich, Suffolk21 March 2018
Mccolls was a good company to work for, I enjoyed my time I spent working there, the staff were friendly and helpful, it was a good team spirit, the management were also very friendly and helpful
Pros
Helpful management
Cons
Late closing
tedious
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Didcot19 March 2018
not enough pay for unsociable hours worked. workers treated like criminals, always on CCTV yet trusted with thousands of pounds to do banking. inexperienced staff expected to run shop in absence of manager. staff not allowed an over ride button on their tills yet expected to run the shop.
Pros
Cons
not enough hours
Worst company i have worked for.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Whitley Bay8 March 2018
Stay away from this company! My place of work was taken over by these and closed down 7 months later and I was made redundant! Had no intention of making it work pushed the prices up so high nobody would shop there was expected to do a supervisor job for no extra money! Management don’t care about the staff. I really hated working for these!
Pros
Cons
Over worked and underpaid
Not a great company but depends on shop
Customer assistant (Former Employee) –  Forres8 March 2018
Recently worked for Mccolls for just over 2 years, as a company and higher management they don't care about employees at all. Pay the absolute bare minimum that they can and only really care about themselves. However I was lucky enough to work in a shop with a fantastic team and shop manager, she really made it worth sticking with the job.
Pros
Shop managers do their best
Cons
Higher management just don't care