McDonald's Employee Reviews for Shift Manager

Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Burton-On-Trent20 May 2018
Mcdonalds offer 100% effective training for anyone with no experience and the chance to be able to rise through the ranks fairly quickly and gain excellent life skills.
Pros
Great training
Busy but friendly environment
A Shift Running Floor Manager (Former Employee) –  Luton, Bedfordshire17 May 2018
I enjoyed my time at McDonald's more than I though I would. It was one of the best companies I have worked for.
All fast food restaurants are busy, but I worked with a lovely bunch of people and we were one big family.
Work load can sometimes be too much and there's times where you have to work over 12 hours if the restaurant is short staffed.
Pros
Work benefits
Cons
Low salary for the work load
Poductive and a good place to work
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Middlesbrough14 May 2018
Working at Mcdonalds gave me many opportunities over the 19 years working there. It is very accomodating and were very pleased when i decided to go part time and go back to university. They are a very flexible company that will always go out there way to help anyway they can. I have thorougly enjoyed my career working at Mcdonalds.
Awful
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Rugeley, Staffordshire10 May 2018
I would not work at Mcdonald's even if it was my last choice, id rather be jobless. Managers have favourites, as a manager you get treated awful. Expect way to much from you. Business manager is vile. Poor hygiene.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Management, poor wage, long hours, dont get aknowledged for hard work
work life balanace
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Manchester6 May 2018
McDonald's is great for young people who work and and study, with flexible hours, you are able to gain a good work life balance. it is a great place to work young people.
Can be fun but affects your private life
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands5 May 2018
As a student it started of great because you are part time it is very flexible. If you put effort in it is very easy to progress to crew trainer.
Once you get crew trainer you have a little bit of responsibility you have to train new crew and retrain existing crew. You're expected to be the managers right hand man/woman.
Once you go full time fully flex that's when they start taking advantage of you, I work almost every weekend of year, I'm also expected to do the jobs of 3 people because we are constantly understaffed even though you are trained to "go home tired of talking but not of working" I consistently go home tired of both. My shift patterns are awful ,mostly working night shifts.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Modern day Slave trade
Under staffed, Over worked and under appreciated
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Leeds, Kirkstall3 May 2018
Generally the managers are not properly trained and not motivated, shifts are frequently under staffed, hours can be extremely inconsistent, rare to have a consistent shift pattern, poor record for supporting those with mental illness, often go without a break, targets unreasonable, hostile working environment, staff demoralised, high staff turn over
Pros
free lunch, flexible to a degree
Cons
Not enough staff, poor work life balance due to shifts
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Coalville, Leicestershire3 May 2018
I definitely believe that there are many different challenges within this workplace, there is always something new to learn and something to keep you occupied. I believe that the majority of management are seeking to push to achieve the most of your abilities.
Pros
Free lunches, Flexible hours, Room for progression
Cons
Long hours, Weak higher management, lots of young staff, high turnover
Fun work place with life long friends
Shift Running Floor Manager (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire3 May 2018
No day is ever the same, it was a job where you literally could learn something new every day. A typical day at work would be to arrive around 15 minutes before my shift was starting, take the safe from the previous manager, cash up tills, run the kitchen or the drive thru, help new starters with training, work as a team to hit set targets.
The management team were great to work along side because we all had the same goal at the end of the day! The hardest part of the job was definitely the shift work, sometimes it could be very hard, especially switching from late nights to early mornings or doing overnights. The most enjoyable part was being able to work with my friends every day and all working together to meet our store goals and beat records.
Pros
Free food, working with friends, free private healthcare after 3 years, guaranteed payrise every year
Cons
Long hours, shift work, 24/7 trading, unreasonable hours over festive periods, low pay compared to lower skilled jobs
daily tasks
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Livingston, West Lothian1 May 2018
Managing a team of 20 people daily, motivating crew to achieve store targets and personal targets. Completing daily food Safety audits to ensure gold standard food and safe food is being made and given to they customer every order
Pros
hours of work
Cons
promotion
productive workplace
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Holborn29 April 2018
It was a funny workplace but the best place to start as a new people in the country. In Mcdonald's employees are taking care of the others and making the workplace the best.
Shift Manager
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Plymstock, Devon28 April 2018
I arrive roughly 60 minutes early to my shifts to ensure i can have a thorough walk around and examine any potentially barriers to the smooth running of the restaurant during my shift, this however rarely works due to a lack of communication among my colleagues whom do not keep to their commitments of arranging stock and completing tasks that are necessary to keep the production of food consistent in speed and quality. This causes a great deal of difficulty and subsequently a poor working environment.
Pros
Free lunch and career progression
Cons
long hours, poor treatment, mental health suffers, inconsistent shift patterns.
Fun work Place
shift manager (Current Employee) –  Kent16 April 2018
Good balance between work and home life. Training and development within the company is offered. Friendly work place.
great atmosphere. Quick environment to work in
Pros
free meals
Good days and bad
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow12 April 2018
Working for McDonald's has its benefits, you can have a great work life balance if you get good shifts but the weeks that that actually happens are few and far betweeen. For me anyways. Also when you apply for the job they fail to mention the abuse that you are more than likely to receive when dealing with the public, people tend to get very angry when it comes to their food to the point where I have had my life threatened over a cheeseburger. But when that isn't going on the job is easy money but I'm glad I have had the experience in working with the public to know how it feels to be on the other side of the counter and do recommend that everyone at some point in their life has this experience.
Pros
Free lunch, private health care
Cons
unsociable hours, abuse
flexible reliable job
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Rugeley10 April 2018
good working hours flexible around family and always work available. positive and friendly staff. always kept busy and good breaks available. management helpful
can be fun but very stressful
Shift manager (Former Employee) –  Falkirk Retail park6 April 2018
Can be a fun place to work but can be very stressful and management are all in 1 big group of friends who very rarely admit they are wrong. Very little praise for a job well done mostly and a lot of critisism for a mistake or a mishap. 0hrs contracts mostly so no job security , sent home early very often so miss out on pay, and quite often asked to start early or stay on late when short staffed.
Of course not all the managers are like this and there are a few diamonds in the rough.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
No garunteed hrs.
Fast paced enviroment,challenging
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow5 April 2018
A fast paced environment with many varying challenges. a fun atmosphere to work in . Lots of room for job progression . the most enjoyable part of the job is the constant strive to better yourself
fun workplace
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Derby29 March 2018
good people, high standards, stressful when you take on more responsibility. room for progression if willing to put the work in, excellent company to work for.
Pros
work with amazing people
Cons
24 hour opening times
People you work with keep you sane.
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Huyton25 March 2018
Company too concerned about the labour targets they have to hit, management don't care about customers or anything really. If you enjoy working with people who are incompetent and don't last long in the job you'll love it.
Pros
Free breaks
Cons
Poor Management, Anti-Social behaviour
Very supportive and good at recognition
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire23 March 2018
McDonald's is a great company to work for as the company ensure that hard work is recognised and rewarded, in addition there are many employee benefits, for example, private health care. In addition, the company have very flexible working hours that suit your lifestyle.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McDonald's. Our community is ready to answer.

530.7K