McDonald's Employee Reviews for Crew Member

Found 5,495 reviews matching the search See all 137,109 reviews
Great place to work for regardless of where you are in life
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Tibshelf21 October 2018
From college students to people coming close to retiring McDonalds has a range of opportunities for people to develop their careers. Being a franchise worth hundreds of millions it doesn’t come to a surprise that the opportunists are endless, from the people serving food in the kitchens, right through to higher manangement sitting in office complexes this company will have everything to give and with a good wage too.
Pros
Flexibility, Pay, work life and free lunch
Cons
Barely any
Fun environment & Friendly collegues
Crew Member - Part Time (Former Employee) –  Lowestoft21 October 2018
I liked this job because the colleague's I worked with were very friendly and approachable. On a normal day I would clock into work, usually do a 6-8 hour shift and then clock out. This job fit very well with me going to college as it was flexible and I could work anytime I wanted.
Pros
Free food
productive and fun workplace
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  york21 October 2018
A typical day at Mc Donalds was easy going in some parts but then other parts were also quite challenging. Overall the staff were really nice and encouraging. The most enjoyable part of the job was in the kitchen due to doing several tasks on a day to day basis. The harset part of the job was learning how to use the tills.
It's ok, but needs improvement.
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Bromley20 October 2018
I have worked in two different McDonald's stores, both part of different franchises. In both stores the management has been pretty poor with many of the new staff being left untrained and to fend for themselves. The work is a lot more stressful than it seems but if you know how to do your job well, then time goes by pretty quickly and you will end up making some good friends at the job.
Pros
Good friends, flexible shifts
Cons
Bad management
Working With Food
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Manchester20 October 2018
While working in Mc Donalds I was thought how to work as part of a team although I wasn't there for very long. The most enjoyable part of the job was the free food and the hardest part was working a match day on till it was manageable jut not very enjoyable.
Pros
They give you a free medium meal with a soda
Cons
they have you working every weekend from 7 am til 6 pm
All work and no play.
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Boston, Lincolnshire19 October 2018
In my personal experience, working in McDonald's - they expect you to have no social life, it doesn't matter if you want to see your family for dinner or you have to take your kids to school. Management do not care and will schelude you when they need you, not when it is suitable for your availability.

All crew members tend to be lovely, management can be horrible but I'm sure it's like that everywhere.

One of the biggest benefits is the pay. They pay above minimum wage as well as lots of benefits. You are never going to get a set amount of hours a week and your shifts will vasty change from mornings, to evenings to overnights.

It's an okay place to work if you need the money. I personally wouldn't choose to make a career in McDonald's as manangement are treated bad. I see it as a job not a career.
Pros
Free lunches, Good Pay
Cons
Bad management, No social life
Good starting job
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Bredbury and Woodley19 October 2018
Good place to work for when you are a student and want to progress enough to get enough experience to find a new job or even start a career through the company itself.
Perfect for students or family providers.
Crew Member - Part Time (Current Employee) –  Eastfield19 October 2018
Reasonable pay with the capability for large amounts of flexible hours, can feasibly work as much or as little as you need. The work is easy and simple (to a degree) however there's a lot of it to do quickly.
Perfect for people who need a simple, comfortable job to support yourself through college/uni or need to support your family.
If you're quick-minded, polite to customers and respond well to criticism then this job is perfect for you.
Pros
Employee discounts (both in store and in other big branded stores)
Cons
Stressful environment. Hot, sweaty and stuffy working environment.
it was a great work place
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  London Colney19 October 2018
i had a lot of fun working there made loads of friends great pay but i left coz i had issues at that point and i did personal things which im not proud of
Pros
free lunches was aloud smoke breaks and it was fun working there
Cons
10 hours a day great pay lovely people
good
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Barnstaple, Devon19 October 2018
overall a good plate to work i enjoyed my job but they push you to get the food out in under 2 minutes which is hard when you have a rush hr they need to be more relaxed then their would be less mix up with orders people would rather wait 2 minutes more and have exactly what that ordered.
Cons
not garanteed hours
Good communication workplace
Crew Member - Full Time (Current Employee) –  Ferndown19 October 2018
McDonalds is very good job job they are flexible with your hours very good for a first job I will stay at McDonald’s just need another job for extra money.
fun and flexible work place.
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  London18 October 2018
Pay does not match up the work load but Other than that it is a friendly work environment but you do need to have a high tolerance as there will alot of customers are going to have something to say but you cant really reply to them the way you would want to.
Pros
Employ discount.
Cons
you got to put up with alot of s***
Don't apply if you want to stay sane
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Derby Markeaton18 October 2018
I have worked in several maccies and that was the worst one by far.

Management is made up of either lazy or incompetent crew trainers who wanted extra money, so went for manager and now don't know what they're doing.

The whole atmosphere of the store is very unfriendly, it's like a cliched high school clique formed of the staff that had been there a long time and you, the new starter, are the loner they bully. This attitude might have stemmed from markeaton's strange need to beat all of the other mcdonald's at everything. This is mainly managers shouting at crew for not being fast enough, which lead to mistakes and then complaining customers.

Also, their stupid facebook group, which they post daily about how well the store is doing and if they beat any times, god help you if you didn't. They also like to congratulate you when you're not sick, you'll get passive aggressive posts with 'oh look only three no shows and look at our times this is what happens when no ones ill, haha keep it up'

They also didn't like following proper procedures. Such as taking money out of your pay check without consent, to put in their charity pot so the managers get a raise.

All this together, as well as the horrible working hours, just meant the worst working environment that wasn't worth the pay.

Not to say that everything was bad, all of the new starters were nice, majority of them soon left as they realised it wasn't worth it. You got free food on your break, definitely the best part.

If you're as desperate as I was you'll probably apply anyway, and you're get the job
  more... no matter what because they're that desperate. my best advice is to make friends with the other new starters and stick together, take as much food as you can and if you get stuck on waste count when its monopoly, you can soon make that worth your while.

Enjoyyyy
Crew member
Crew Member - Part Time (Current Employee) –  Bromley18 October 2018
•I am in the till
•I helping the customers
•Cleaning the restaurant
•Helping in the kitchen
•Teach to the new crew how they should to do the drinks, take the food, the communication and the table service.
Pros
Good communication skills
Cons
I work many hours and I do not earn much Money 💵
Fun work environment
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Boston17 October 2018
It was a fun environment to work with interesting people also, the constant challenge made for varied and different experiences. The high pressure environment made you improved and learn quickly.
Pros
food provided
productive and faced-paced environment
Crew Member - Part Time (Current Employee) –  Sprucefield17 October 2018
McDonalds is a great place to work and provides staff with a great number of benefits. The staff are great together which is important in order to carry out the tasks required as without teamwork the stores' rate of productivity would lower. There is also great trainers who provide support to many of the crew members helping to motivate and improve the work ethics in the store. The workplace is hard but is understandable as it is one of the most busiest franchises in the food industry.
Pros
experience gained
fun
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Coventry, West Midlands16 October 2018
The typical day would be to be on your station either kitchen or on front to deal with the customers.

I have learnt a lot over 7 years about how to work in harmony as a team member and how to develop certain workplace skills.

The hardest part of the job was that if you are reliable and good at your job you would be the first one the managers called to help them when they required.

The most enjoyable part was the friends and relations you make with at first strangers you work with.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Very long hours and not guaranteed a social life
Worst experience of my life.
Crew Member - Part Time (Former Employee) –  Spennymoor, Durham16 October 2018
I spent only three months at McDonald's and I can safely say that it was the worst experience of my life. I've been subject to many things whilst I was there (which I'll go into more detail in a minute) and it was all of these things which pressured me into resignation. I ended up dreading going into work and fearing what my managers would accuse me of on that particular shift.

First of all, McDonald's claims to be the perfect job for students looking to earn a little extra cash alongside studying: this is not the case at all. You are constantly expected to go out of your way (which is fair enough in certain circumstances), but when I say this I mean they pay no regard to what is going on outside your work life. My manager actually accused me of lying to them / hiding information as they were 'unaware' I was studying A Levels, even though this was clearly stated on my application form and I'd mentioned it at interview. Of course they did not say this to me directly- I heard this from gossip between the other managers. This situation only came about after I had found myself struggling to balance my college work with McDonald's, and it was certainly frowned upon by management.

On my first shift, I got an extremely bad burn having been immediately thrust onto fry batch (chicken, cheese bites, fish, apple pies). Nobody realised despite the fact I was grabbing my arm and in immense pain, and it has still left a mark today (I don't think it will ever go away). What I learnt during my time here is that burns are frequent and no one really cares about them; the employees are
  more... all used to it despite the danger they are put in. On my second shift, I was left alone on the drinks machine (bevcell is how you say it but I haven't got a clue how you spell it): the floor was soaking wet and I ended up slipping on some ice, spilling about 30 drinks off the float and really injuring my back in the process- I was blamed for the initial water spillage (which I had not caused), and the managers treated me worse for the rest of the shift.

As well as this, the probationary period for McDonald's is only supposed to last 3 weeks, yet mine lasted almost 2 months and people who joined after me were able to take their 'trainee' label off weeks before I could. I'm not really sure why this happened as it was never explained to me, but I don't believe that this is right. In terms of training the crew trainer I was assigned was given hardly any of the same shifts as me so I rarely had them train me, I was mainly left alone on stations whilst they were on the other side of the restaurant and I was not fully trained.

The attitude amongst employees was toxic, negative and degrading. It didn't matter that I did the same job as another employee, or that I worked the same number of hours. What mattered is I was young, I was new and I didn't get paid as much: therefore, I was lower in the 'hierarchy' that was the kitchen. Managers constantly shouted, coworkers constantly moaned, complained and gossiped about each other. It was not a happy place to work, and quite frankly I felt neither safe nor welcome.

By the end of my first month, I became a laughing stock, the employee who always injured themselves by their 'own hand' (not true!)- so much so that my boss called me a 'liability' (the actual word they used). I handed in my resignation on my next shift, I received no acknowledgment that my manager had received it, just as the tiresome work I had put in over the past months had never been recognised.

My last shift is another story in itself. Typically we were given breaks after the first hour of our shift, which meant that we'd have to spend the next seven or so hours on our feet without a break. It was only on my final shift when I was given my break two hours before I was due to finish- their reasoning for this was that they had 'forgotten' about me. They were not aware that it was my last shift. I was covering till for most of the night and when the manager cashed my till, I was £12 short. I had not used the till for the entire night, and I am 90% sure that I wasn't to blame for this, but I was essentially accused of stealing the money. They even arranged for me to be retrained in this (even though I hadn't been trained on it in the first place AND it was my last shift, which I thought they were aware of). When I told them it was my last shift I didn't even get so much of a thank you- the response was genuinely just 'oh'. I left the restaurant after that last shift thinking, 'what on earth have I just wasted my time on?'

I could not recommend this job any less, the only thing it has taught me is how not to treat other people, and how to ignore the hurtful things that other people say to you. I have now been left with scars, and not even a thank you.
Pros
Good pay for my age (£5.50 an hour)
Cons
Literally everything else
a really good job
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Coventry16 October 2018
an awesome place to work very busy at times but you are treated like a member of the team and are made to feel welcome free food is provided on breaks which is a huge bonus
Pros
Working as a member of the team
Hit or miss
Crew Member - Part Time (Former Employee) –  Thamesmead15 October 2018
This job is perfect if you need experience In hospitality or just some pocket money for the holidays but wouldn’t reccomend Doing long term as it can get much like a big horrible chore even getting there.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Terrible management, stress, a lot of overtime, treatment of staff

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McDonald's. Our community is ready to answer.

535.1K