MBDA Employee Reviews

No management skills
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Stevenage10 October 2019
Mbda need to look at the security team at the site,especially the management team
They all need re training.i was their for quite a while, would not recommend this company to any one.
They do not look after agency or contract staff in any way
Went downhill rapidly!
Senior Secretary (Former Employee) –  Stevenage7 June 2019
Started with a great manager and absolutely loved my job, however communication was bad and discovered at the eleventh hour that my 100+ colleagues were moving to a new office leaving me on my own with no work. Was told I was being made redundant time and time again only to be asked to stay each time as there was no one else to cover the work. Then was promoted 3 times in 2 years as the job I was covering required a higher grade, but I wasn't given a single pay-rise. I handed in my notice when I discovered that people on a lower grade were being paid double my salary and I was told I couldn't have a raise as I'd been promoted too quickly!
Pros
Cons
Badly treated, not appreciated
Technically challenging and engaging place to work.
Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Stevenage, Hertfordshire1 March 2019
MBDA is a great place to work for, the people are very friendly and approachable and the work life balance is great. The work is interesting and challenging too and great space to grow.
A great place to work!
Finals Inspector (Former Employee) –  Bolton, Greater Manchester6 November 2018
I'd always wanted to work at MBDA, as an aeronautical guy, I'd always wanted to see how the weapons side of the industry worked. MBDA at Bolton is an immaculate and clean facility, and actively promotes all the good practices in modern industry. Housekeeping and Safety are excellent.
The products are extremely well made, and the work is easy and a little monotonous, but with a repeat process that is to be expected, even embraced!
The higher management are rightly extremely proud of the site, and strive to maintain the highest standards.
The site is flawed in some ways, no natural daylight in the workshops make it oppressive, and this is further "rubbed in " when one visits the offices, which enjoy floor to ceiling glass walls.
They haven't thought through facilities for meetings, and use the restaurant for various meetings which disrupts the refreshment breaks frequently to the constant annoyance of shop floor employees.
Apart from a few niggles, MBDA is a great place to work.
The pay is excellent for the industry.
Pros
Clean, safe, easy to work, tolerant management team.
Cons
No daylight, drumbeat work for those with keen minds
good place of work
Italian Business Tutor (Current Employee) –  Stevenage25 October 2018
prepare and teach group lessons and individual lessons to delegates in French and Italian.
Some administrative work on a new interesting learning portal as well.
Pros
relaxed environment
Cons
far from home
Disappointing and Terrible Experience Beyond Belief
Css (Former Employee) –  Stevenage, Hertfordshire5 October 2018
Horrific experience....The environment i worked in was extremely dull. The work pace was non existant, often doing very little for days. Then project leads whos roles overlaped then could not decide on how they wanted things done, so work was changed backwards and forwards until errors were introduced and it became a mess. What should take days at my previous company took weeks at MBDA to be done badly... Management and HR are at very best poor and make things up as they go along, reactive and hostile rather than proactive. The working practices are very backward and dated. I cannot believe the processes and working methods that were used. This environment should be a paperless office as much as possible, i am supprise they aren't using type writers and Windows 3.1!
When i put my notice in things really went wrong and MBDA management turned very nasty. Too many disappointments, a truly terrible experience and daily ordeal until i left.
Pros
Flexi time and work life balance
Cons
Company is very dated. Onsite gym naff. Canteen expensive and generally unhealthy.
Good employer mixing challenge wiyth healthy work / life balance
Procurement Manager (Current Employee) –  Stevenage, Hertfordshire30 August 2018
Having worked at several other UK defence companies, I know that MBDA has a comparitively good work / life balance, offering flexible working and great on-site facilities including a good restaurant, and a gym.

Lunchtime learning events happen every month. In the last three months I have been to events on mindfulness as a management skill, creating innovation in learning, and a session highlighting technologies currently the subject of internally funded R&D programmes.

There is a vibrant feel to the business, set in campus like surroundings and impromptu meetings often take place in the atrium coffee bar, or restaurant.

The order book for the business is healthy and challenging both for our operations team and the supply chain. The biggest challenge as a supplier manager is managing the delivery schedule of very complex subsystems.
Pros
Flexitime, Free coffee, good work / life balance
Cons
Challenging deadlines for supplier product development
Improving, but painfully slow
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Stevenage3 June 2018
Lots of new staff joining the company in a desperate attempt to fill the huge void of retiring staff over the next 3-5 years.
The company needs to be more innovative, allow project managers to be project managers and join the modern world. Old systems, processes and methodologies.
Overview
Principal Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee) –  Manchester9 May 2018
Managed by a culture that is outdated. The cost of non quality is at best laughable and where major risks are identified, totally ignored unless its management idea. Equipment and process qualification non existent and unsure how a major qualification was not conducted / PPAP type exercise for major site transfer - must be the defence industry way of working. Hope they are successful some great individuals there.
Pros
free coffee, facilities good
Cons
my review above
good salary but boring job
Mechanical Fitting Apprenticeship Completed (Current Employee) –  Bolton4 April 2018
the money is very competitive but the actual work is not challenging. Some of the management do not listen to problems employees have. Benefits are very good.
Benefits
Cons
Boring work.
Not a nice place to work these days.
Senior securiry officer (Former Employee) –  Stevenage14 March 2018
I worked for MBDA for just over 20 years. During that time I was involved in the sites development and the changes made to bring the company up to date. I had a team of 15 under me that also had to change which we did. I have been directly involved in 3 medical emergencies on Stevenage site in which all 3 survived. Then when I left the company what did they do for all those years of putting the company first...Nothing just let me walk away without a Thank you.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
You are just a number. Your pay award is not linked to your appraisal. Your department heads decided
Excellent People to work with
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Stevenage11 March 2018
MBDA is going through some changes, hence, departments seem to be operating differently from each other. Some confusion. But I would expect this problem will be solved after a year or two.
general
Principal Manufacturing Engineer (Current Employee) –  Manchester26 February 2018
Interlaced the engineering V-model with existing NPI process. Have initialised design reviews from concept. Hardest part of role is linking the appropriate skills to tasks. Large organisation with competing priorities between department
Pros
free coffee
Cons
culture
Very negative and disappointing
MLU (Former Employee) –  logistics22 June 2017
I found this to be the most undesirable company to work for HR take no involvement or interest Senior members of staff verbally abusing you with no action being taken to address or look into no attempt to resolve abusive manner which has been identified from many section how just seem to avoid confrontation.
Pros
37.5 working hours per week
Cons
far to many to mention
Too embedded a culture
Requirements Manager (Former Employee) –  Stevenage, Hertfordshire22 May 2017
Not enough allowance to implement best practice from outside. Refusal to implement change and learn from failures. Doomed to repeat mistakes in a shrinking business and market.
Good company with good perks
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Stevenage United Kingdom11 May 2017
Good company which is working towards changing its olden ways of working. It can be challenging to implement new ways of working or ideas but if you focused and are driven you can do great in the company. Too many meetings to make a decision.
Pros
Flexible working hours, gym on site, half day fridays
Cons
too many meetings, very slow at times
lots or opportunity
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Bolton, ENG11 January 2016
good place with lots of different task to do, and good canteen and good routes of progression and lots fun work stations, and opportunities abroad in europe
Mentally stimulating, Productive
System Engineer Contractor (Former Employee) –  Stevenage, ENG30 October 2014
Learnt new skills using Matlab, FORTRAN and C designing tools for trials and analysing trila data.

I am involved in writing numerous reports based on analysis.

I enjoy programming, making a difference and being challenged.

I am a great team worker and enjoy working with other people
Pros
Work gym
Cons
1 hour lunch breaks
Productive and fun workplace
Business Support Officer to the Head of SS (Current Employee) –  Stevenage25 September 2014
Excellent Team to work with, lots of benefits including amazing lunches in the restaurant and the gym facility
Good place to gain experience and progress.
EMC Laboratory Manager (Former Employee) –  Filton9 January 2013
Co Workers and Team excellent.
Good development opportunities for younger engineers.
Pros
varied work
Cons
management