Matalan

Matalan Employee Reviews

United Kingdom1,822 reviews
Found 1,822 reviews matching the search
Awesome Team
It was a great experience, the managers were really thoughtful and everyone worked together really well. The only minus is minimum pay, which I guess is understandable.
Got paid barely anything to do a lot
Would never work here again, everyone left as did I. Manager was horrible, management has apparently changed since. He was rude and made multiple employees cry. Environment was stressful and everyone was scared of the manager. They expected you to always be available for a shift at the drop of a hat. Once you started working weekends you would not get a single weekend off. We did not get paid enough to put up with it all.
Matalan was ok
Overall Matalan was a relaxed environment however there are daily goals to reach by the end of the day which caused a lot of pressure and stress for the employees. The management were reasonable and friendly however still maintained a level of professionalism.
Okay for students
The work ethic was very 'That's not my job'. They pay minimum wage, they have bonuses in place but they don't actually give them out when they're supposed to sometimes. I got along with management really well but the actual staff are miserable.
Workplace
I was taken on by a recruitment agency as a picker the agency was poor and the work was easy butthe never had enough stock in the bays to pick.i had a holiday book before i started and i was told there was no f***king chance i was going on it
And there would not be a job for me when i come back despite knowing this the swapped me between shifts day/night and put me down as sick well i was on hiliday for two week not sure if its the same agency still there but i would give it a miss
Could have better management
Working is so fun there but management is so bad. Members of staff are so nice & the job is fun but the money definitely isn’t worth the stress that comes with it
Good work experience.
Management is very good. Homely feeling. Some times I need more time to finish my work. Good motivation so that I can prepare my self. Iater I planned myself how to finish timely.
Generally Great place to work
Taking into account the overall store and management - generally fine.
However, the pay and the overall experience with staff benefits and holidays were appalling.
enjoyable working enviroment
working at Matalan always meant some enjoyable days but there was also the stressful working days that balanced it out. Theres also a lot of room for progression if that's what you are aiming for
Pros
overtime
Cons
minimum wage
Productive and fun workplace
........
Friendly atmosphere in the store,between workers and management. Friendly for customers. Very enjoyable place to work. .
Hard work not very supportive
First couple of years were good, but declined from about 2014. Very stressful job, unpredictable working hours, forever putting colleagues in consultation due to restructure. No movement for managers on promotions as a lot of mangers with 20+ years service still doing the same job in the same shop? fine is that is what you want but I need progression. If your face fits and you don't have an opinion then you will be fine.
Pros
Depending on where and who is your line manager!
Cons
Unpredicable, stressful, unsupportive
Stressful and Fast Paced
A lot of work is expected to be completed by most members of staff, including shop floor maintenance and customer service. Management is mostly helpful but occasionally are not easiest to approach. A lot of stress when low staff are present and often are understaffed, but the team members are excellent and fun.
Pros
Staff Discount
Cons
Low Pay
Non professional
I was in matalan and left due to very little opertunity soon after i left they let a lot of staff go some had been working there for over 9 years clearly dont care about staff
Worst company in the world, ran from top to bottom by idiots
Greedy selfish management who care more about turning a profit and getting their bonuses than they do about the well-being of the staff. disgusting hygiene everywhere in the warehouse
Horrible management
When I worked there in 2016 the management was terrible. They bullied me, refused to let me have a drink with me and gave me the worst jobs because they just didn't like me. I quit after I few months because I felt terrible working there. So uncomfortable.
Ok for short term work
Friendly staff - pay not the best but ok

Shift work - not always flexible

Cannot talk on the job can make it boring. Some managers stricter than others
Workplace
the store was going through a refit and things were hard has the store stayed open the Maanger and refit team didnt gell and the whole thing was left to me.
Professional Growing
I worked for Matalan in a great team, we always help each other and the managing colleagues support us when needed. We enjoy the time spent on shop floor and the problems that appeared we solved quickly and without stress.
Discrimination throughout
I worked at matalan for a few years and over time it got worse and worse, when you want to progress if your not in with the management then you have no chance, get thrown to one side and given all the worst jobs, drops your hours if you decide you want to leave or if you take holidays
Good workplae
A very good experience. I had a good time and got on well with all of the team I would recommend this place of work to anyone. The hours were flexible.
Productive and fun workplace
From what i learned from this job was the importance of money and how important it is to earn a weekly wage and how to start an earning for myself by being able to pay for things like direct debits with the money I've earned. I also learned a lot of new skills like customer services and customer interactions.

The most enjoyable part about my job was meeting new people but what made it easier for my was working with people a similar age to me or that there was always an other member of staff around if I ever needed help. All members of staff were really nice and helpfull.
Pros
Staff, Family and Friends discount