Matalan Employee Reviews

Fast productive
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  London17 July 2018
Great place to worl at good environment and takes care of gheir employees well
Customer service was top
Amd managers were kind but to the point
Great pay and good hours
Pros
Great hours and pay
Experience
General Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bescot10 July 2018
I left this job with a lot of experience in retail. At the time I worked there the some management were good, others power crazy. As you can appreciate I has been a few years since I was there and I am sure things have changed.
enjoyable people to work with
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  St Albans9 July 2018
Great staff to work with and for, really enjoyed my time at Matalan, with restructuring and constant restraints on budget and payroll it is tough to deliver what is asked at the required standard. Takes hard graft but the people you work with makes it worthwhile.
Pros
the staff, the management
Cons
long hours, tough to deliver with restraints
An honest account from a current employee.
GSA (Current Employee) –  United Kingdom9 July 2018
If you just want to learn the basics of retail, develop confidence with members of the public and understand the extreme psychology and expectations of customers - Matalan is ideal for you - on a short term basis.

The management structure can be erratic, between contradictions from different managers wanting the same tasks done in different ways or wanting different tasks done entirely - it does keep you on your toes.

I've always had good working relationships with my managers, however, that doesn't mean that I don't always agree with their managing styles. Of course, a good manager knows how to keep their staff happy - but head office do pressure us with never ending demands and expectations that don't translate well for the amount they pay their employees i.e. Customer Services assistants will be expected to do the Till Operator job AND the CS duties without an increase in pay despite the increase of responsibility inflicted - essentially, you will be expected to do 2-3 jobs for the price of 1.

The pay is poor for the amount of work and effort you have to put in, not only the labour but the mental effort of having to learn all the skills to carry out the work, with next to no training.

There isn't much promise or opportunity for advancement nor is there an internal access to proper vocational training either, which is sad, I have spent the last few years working there and would really like to have some qualifications under my belt to justify my continuous hard work just to receive very little in return.

The hours aren't great, some weeks you could be
  more... doing 25+ hours and the next week you could have 8 hours. The rota is very poorly done, rarely do we get to know what we are working a week in advance - sometimes we only get it a day before the next working week is due to start - very unpredictable, especially, when you're trying to establish and manage both a social life and financial commitments.

We have mandatory 'team brief' meetings every 6 months, always on a Sunday, regardless of your availability. In these meetings we are expected to absorb marketing information and somehow, apply it to our work and encourage customers to spend more and increase company profits.

"Profits were up/down last year, we need to do more" yet hardly ever are we offered an incentive aimed to the individual employee.

I do enjoy the company of my colleagues and we champion through the work, we are a credit to each other.

Head office must learn to look after their staff as much as they look after their customers. It is beneficial to look after the employees first, cascading down to us looking after the customers to an even higher standard.

There's more to job satisfaction than "look at all the good work I did" to then looking at your bank balance and wondering, 'what for?'
Pros
Experience and development of a good work ethic, no matter how low your moral is. 20% discount (sale items non discountable)
Cons
Short hours. Pay. No advancement opportunity.
not really a warehouse, more like a production line
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Knowsley, Merseyside9 July 2018
I stayed only 5 weeks,my goal was 12 weeks, its not warehouse work in the traditional sense, matalan sell mainly clothing, you have people in this vast building who's only role is to hang up clothing, that is all they do for the entire shift, others will then re hang same items on racks then its rehung on lorries, you get one role and that is all you will do, you wont see many pallet trucks, or fork lifts, the age group is varied but a majority would be under 35, all nations are employed here,you have no choice what job you receive when first starting, as its all unskilled manual labour, however some depts. are very busy with pressure put on employees and some depts are not so busy..its easy to get in and no references are required, Independent thought is not required with this employer, its a work to process environment
Pros
zero
Cons
it really is a grim soul destroying place
meh, just work at mcd
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham5 July 2018
minimum wage, short 4 hour shifts as a temp and poor management. Manager was useless, and there wasn't enough staff for the size of the store which made it harder on you.
Pros
calm people
Cons
pay, management
Poor company
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire4 July 2018
No care for staff no great structuring.
Customers are very rude and often you encounter people stealing with very little that can be done.
Worry for ones own saftey.
Pros
Cons
Pay, management
Poorly structured but excellent stock
Sales Manageress (Former Employee) –  Hull4 July 2018
Starting with opening the store and checking the finances of the store in regards to previous days, hosted staff meetings at the start of the day to organise and set out the daily targets to meet. replenishing merchandise whilst providing excellent customer care. The hardest part of the job was keeping on top or health and safety, the most enjoyable part was the chance to meet and interact with new people.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Lack of communication
Productive and friendly work environment
General Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southend3 July 2018
Helpful, polite and respectful management.
Set contact with additional hours available but not compulsory.
Paired with colleagues to learn new aspects of the role such as tills.
it was ok
not saying (Current Employee) –  Merry Hill, West Midlands30 June 2018
u work harder than other people there in the stock room thay dont like it wen u get the cages done faster and betta than them so thay go and cumplain to managment about u and giv u the jobs thay dont want u to do wen u do the cages u do it propley and the other team member does it his own way thats its a joke of the staff that has to put it out on the shelfs and he up sets then because its taking longer to do also management hav there faverites and stick up for them wen there in the wrong wen u do sumthing wrong thay hav u for it is a joke
Pros
no breaks wen its 4 hrs
Cons
no hrs to giv to me because of age thay giv to young ones
Same thing every shift
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Reading30 June 2018
If people don’t have a matalan card it goes through as a bypass which you get in trouble for but you can’t force people to sign up for one and they don’t have to have one to shop here. Poor management communication.
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Halifax, West Yorkshire28 June 2018
During my time in Matalan I have a responsibility to the customer to offer good customer service and treat the with the respect they deserve. This is my main responsibility however, sales targets is also a crucial responsibility of mine.

As a sales associate I have gained many skills that are transferable to every circumstance, such as:
Not Great
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Colindale, Greater London26 June 2018
Management is not great
Didn't really learn anything beneficial
Work culture is slow
Weekends much more busier than weekdays
Can get boring at times when you've completed the work in hand
Slow paced working enviroment
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester25 June 2018
During a typical day at work we would work shifts on a 4 hour schedule i worked there while i was at college straight from school. This was my first job so this helped me gain work experience for the future. The workplace was worked at a slow pace and we had set departments for each staff member , there was nothing hard to the job during my time with matalan and the most enjoyable part was gaining the experience in a work industry.
Positive experience
Floor Manager (Former Employee) –  Thanet20 June 2018
Large store containing ladies, mens and kids fashion and accessories, and homeware. Wide range of tasks needing to be completed on a daily basis. Large deliveries needing to be processed and displayed on the shopfloor at a fast pace. Structured management system to maintain effective tasking accross the store. The hardest but most enjoyable times for me were christmas and summer sales. The workload was heavy and needed to be completed in a specific order but the satisfaction on completion was amazing. Then the pace of trade upon launch was even better.
Pros
great variety of tasks
Cons
heavy workload
Good Place to Work
HO Employee (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside20 June 2018
Matalan really believes in its people. They invest a lot in their development and support the team in new pursuits and ways to develop. The Leadership team are really present, visible and approachable. Matalan continues to grow and improve each day and really lives by their own values.
Pros
L&D Opportunities
Cons
Salary could improve or do wage reviews
some good some bad
Assisting customers (Current Employee) –  Ipswich, Suffolk18 June 2018
the job is good some managers are great but when it comes to hours you feel really underappreciated as they keep cutting the hours of the people who want to work and constantly hiring temps who don't know what they're doing
poor communication and stressful management
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bangor16 June 2018
were given huge tasks to manage alone with little guidance or training. the other staff were rude and unwelcoming. the pay was little and explanatory with the additional deductions
nice job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London12 June 2018
it was a fun and a lovely place to work at. i learnt a lot by working there. people are nice and friendly. i will greatly advice people to work there, totally lovely.
Ideal income for student's
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bromborough11 June 2018
Typical day in retail. Support staff for Christmas sale.
Ideal work place for students who require flexible hours; understandable towards student's schedule and accommodated nicely.
Good management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Matalan. Our community is ready to answer.