Matalan Employee Reviews

Found 1,470 reviews matching the search See all 1,500 reviews
Mediocre
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Coventry, West Midlands12 December 2018
- Fairly mediocre, nothing special
- Management wasn't the best, not really people orientated
- Workplace culture; some people aren't as approachable
- Great customers come through, nice to speak with them
Pros
Hours
Cons
People and colleagues can be rude
Do not work for Matalan
GSA (Former Employee) –  Newbury8 December 2018
When i started at Matalan it was great all managers were lovely, good training, gave me a job to do and let me get on with it. But as time went on I could tell that some of the managers were very two faced and was starting to take less interest over there staff.
I have a family and when i needed to rush of home or if my children were ill they would be very blunt with me or not talk to me at all. Then decide to cut my hours right down without even discussing it with me. Then as months went on I was starting to get told by managers that im not doing a good enough job and really putting me down leaving me in tears.
I was always tired rushing around trying to do lots of things at once while the managers would be sat in the office or going out for cigarettes. I will never return and not recommending it to anybody.
Pros
Lovely staff
Cons
Horrible managers
Disgraceful
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Warrington5 December 2018
I worked here for 7 months at matalan Warrington the way i was treated was disgusting i got discriminated by the management because of the disability i have i got called stupid by one of the managers while i was working for the company i would give people advise not to work for this company.
Cons
4 hours
Awful
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aintree, Merseyside4 December 2018
Horrendous place to work. At your interview you fill out a sheet of hours you’re availible to work but you might as well not as they give you completely random shifts whenever they feel like. Will only allow you to go on break if you ask and even then they don’t want to let you. Some of he managers are lovely howver the other two are horrible people you’d never want to work for. The hours are long standing up constantly, and the pay is awful. Don’t bother.
Pros
Other cashiers are lovely
Cons
The whole job
chilled work environment
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham24 November 2018
Normal retail store
i have learned how to deal with customers
management listen when they want
workplace culture is chilled
hardest part of job is working late
enjoyable is socialising with other employees
Pros
shorts shift
Cons
late shifts
jail
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Knowsley, Merseyside23 November 2018
the worst place I have ever worked.
No one cares abt ur health in that place, managers are quiet rude and expect much more from you that you are able to give, overtired always and no fun at all, just like in a proper jail, 2 short brakes in 12 hours and louds of work! bad really bad
Cons
to much stress
Nice friendly staff
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Northampton21 November 2018
Matalan staff are lovely. Pay is poor no perks. Can't enjoy Christmas or New year. Staff should be treated at christmas time by the store closing boxing day and new years day 4 or 8 hour contract. Very lucky if you get a 30 20 or 16 hour contract.. Can be rushed by not enough till ops also. Then shop floor suffers. Good holiday for.bigger contracts.
Pros
Lunch breaks if you get them
Cons
Staff discount is all
Not fun place
custumer assistant traineeship (Former Employee) –  Leeds21 November 2018
Did work experience for 8 weeks
No job offer after that just used me for nothing
Management not kind enough
Staff were kind
Small store
Not till trained
A lot of work moving around
Get tired easy
Hate it
Pros
Staff kind not manger
Cons
Short breaks 20 mins
met loads of new friends
Stockport, as a sales assistant (Current Employee) –  Stockport21 November 2018
at first matalan was amazing. it fit around my lifestyle and i could work whenever i was free.
After 2 years of working there you would expect them to be lenient with changing my hours however they werent and would always put me on the rota when i could not work. i mentioned this to the manager but they did not change anything.
not great
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  london charlton18 November 2018
Cashier
Stocking
Greeting customers in a welcome manner
Maintaining shop floor clean and organized
Guiding customers around the shop floor
Dealing with return items
Pros
close to me
Cons
pay was less
Lovely place to work - only a few faults
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Devon16 November 2018
Applied with CV and got offered a job interview within 2 days for a interview about 1 week after I sent off my CV.
Interview was very easy with about 10 simple questions took max 15 minutes.
Got a call about 5 days later saying that I had got the job and had to go in for an induction (which you do get payed for).
Got given our uniforms which are different to the normal shirts as only a temp over Christmas.
We were very briefly shown how to use the till but didn't actually get to go on it at all and practice we were literally just shown how to do everything.
Staff are super lovely and helpful especially on your first few days when you get a bit stuck and always check up on you.
Very flexible with timings. I had originally said I was free every evening (as I'm at college) to work but then had to change this and ask them if they could not put me on to work Wednesday, Thursday or Sat evenings due to other commitments and they fitted around it no problem.
Pay is not brilliant.
Will constantly increase your hours above your contract without asking which is annoying but understandable as it gets busy during the holidays.
Overall lovely place to work, very enjoyable with only a few faults.
Pros
Staff are lovely and extremely welcoming
Cons
Will increase hours
good for a first job
General sales assistant (Former Employee) –  New Malden16 November 2018
great place to get the ropes of all areas of retail due to the many departments. The management team were good and due to the size of the company was always payed at the correct times, However team struggled to understand life/work/school balanced and would rota in for far too many hours a week which is why I left the job. the sense of community within the job was great. Additionally shifts usually ran in 4 hour slots, sometimes 6 or 8 though. Pay is also minimum wage so that can be difficult however the fact its a overall nice place to work makes that ok.
Pros
20% staff discount
Cons
Changing rota, only a few people had steady hours
decent
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Romford8 November 2018
Matalan was a good atmosphere, people were there to get on with their jobs. Management were helpful. Sometimes a very stressful place to work. But mostly quiet.
ok workplace
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Kirkby29 October 2018
ok place to work for, can be tough at first but once used to the general physical nature of what you are doing and having established yourself as knowing what you're doing if you are working generally seem to left alone by most supervisors (not all always that one gobshite). there is some room for advancemenet for the average joe who doesn't wanna shove his nose up the supervisors rear end like MHE training.
Pros
full time contract
Cons
unsavoury shifts
Nice place to work
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  High Wycombe29 October 2018
Staff are really friendly and welcoming, however the pay isn't great for the amount of time and effort you put in during a shift. the atmosphere there is amazing however they expect a lot from you with minimum wage.
Pros
Lunch Breaks
Cons
Not worth the pay
Good Starting point
Checkout/Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Newcastle-under-Lyme23 October 2018
This is a great company for those who want to build customer service experience. It provides constant customer contact as well as building a strong relationship with team members.
Good First Job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Barnsley, South Yorkshire22 October 2018
Easy to pick up first job in retail. Generally short 4 hour shifts, with 8 our shifts on larger contracts. Nearly always opportunity to pick up extra shifts especially over busy period.
Exploitation
General Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, Greater London22 October 2018
A typical day at work is being paid minimum wage to maintain the shop floor in a haste, and have time to do the managers jobs while they sit in the office and spy on staff through the cameras. Managers get paid extra, while the staff are exhausted from being overworked.

Customer interaction is somewhat limited as the main aim of matalan is to meet daily targets. It is more about the companies profit, then customer satisfaction. They would happily have an unhappy customer and miss out on a transaction as long as the daily profit target is met.

The hours are a JOKE. Imagine finishing work everyday at 9pm. Now imagine finishing your shift at 9pm during the christmas period and new years while everyone is out enjoying themselves. They tell you its in your contract to work through the busiest time of the year but they don't tell you that agreeing to extra hours is the equivalent of signing your soul over. There is no work/life balance. its all work work work, wait for shifts and work around them.

This should be a TEMP job. the managers are unreliable and have no regards to employee lifestyle, and in turn do not deserve permanent employees.
Pros
good people. you make good friends with toher employees
Cons
long hours, late shifts, and no social life
Alright workplace
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom22 October 2018
It's a good place to work if you need a job for some work experience. But other than that mo eyes is pretty poor for a start at £4.20hr or less and if the managers don't like you your out of the job no matter what.
Pros
You'll eventually get a discount card
Cons
Bad pay, Bad management, Rude Boss
Nice clean place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottingham19 October 2018
Nice place to work for very clean, and hours wasnt to bad either wasnt here very long but was pleasurable and the staff was nice and mangement. The training was little boring but thats like everywhere
Pros
Nice and clean
Cons
Not enough hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Matalan. Our community is ready to answer.