Masons Arms

Masons Arms Employee Reviews

United Kingdom27 reviews
You know what you’re going into, you get to know the customers and build relationships with them. There’s always things to be involved in and the team are great, everybody helps each other out.
My role at The Mason's Arms was really varied, one minute I would be unloading the deliveries and then be called into the kitchen to prep starters for 100 people.
The shifts were long and late but I really enjoyed my work.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Late shifts
brilliant management. friendly staff and customers, lots of locals who you get to know and have a chat with, nice environment all round and grand food
A place which tries to be much more fancy than it is: I was paid mumimum wage but expected to work at a very high standard: to the point where I was expected to put a dessert spoon/fork down in a specific way.

Ontop of this, they didn't give any breaks, despite legally being meant to, and expected you to be doing something constantly even if there was nothing to do. This was especially irritating on slow days where there was nothing to do so you had to try and find somthing or pretend to do somthing.

Some managers came across as patronising, and the bar/waiting staff/supervisors were very cliquey, making it hard for new employees to fit in.
Pros
Free drinks, customers generally nice
Cons
No breaks, staff cliquey, low pay for the amount of effort you're expected to put in
Management at the time of working there were horrible. Didn't pay me muchly due overtime. One cook was great. The other completely horrible. Bar staff were patronising and bullies.
What can I say? Management is great and fair, hours are good if your just looking for part time, there Is shifts to sometimes pick up but that happens generally when staff holidays or sick days etc. Friendly customers, tidy workplace, fair holidays and pay. Definitely recommend this company.
This is the most busy bar I have ever witnessed and to work at a bar which is one of the best in South Yorkshire is something I am proud of. Everything is very professional.
I enjoyed being part of the team. it was quite pressurised as it was over Christmas and the new year. i liked making sure the customers enjoyed themselves.
A typical day at work could be disrespectful people in the workplace and making my shifts bad. It’s a small place and gets stressing at times but over all it’s a lovely place to work in
Pros
Good colleagues
Cons
Not much to do
I have just left employement at the masons arms
If you want depression, to be unappreciated and to get kicked whilst your already down then work here.

After working here for a month I have been treated with complete disrespect

The bosses and managers don't care about the welfare of their own employees a number of staff members have had episodes of depression and have never been checked on by higher members off staff

They unfortunately do not have their own chef so its all agency which is a serious hit and miss.

The atmosphere of the place is so depressing and negative you might only work some shifts for an hour and a half an go home.

You won't always get payed on time or the right money and don't ask about tips you'll get around £20 out of what you earn for the month.

You'll revieve no breaks at all and work long shifts if you need a toilet break you'll probably be holding it for an hour or so.

They offer no stability and you can't speak to any off the managers or bosses in confidence they will treat you like your beneath them and often look at you as though your dirt.
Pros
The locals are amazing
Cons
Long hours, no breaks, no stability or support
Can be a fun enviroment to work in but at times it becomes a very busy place but with a great team of staff and friends around it is an extremely rewarding place to work and visit.
Pros
Staff and Most Locals
Cons
Area Manager
A typical day at work wasn't too busy, as it was always quite a quiet pub. I learnt how to make desserts in the style of the masons arms. The hardest part of the job, was when there was not a lot left to do around the place, but I still had to try and look busy. The most enjoyable part of working there was meeting new faces every day, and developing a rapport which brings people back.
Includes general bar duties alongside waiting on tables and administration duties of taking bookings and cancellations and communicating these changes to other staff members and organizing tables.I listen well too instructions and ensure customers needs are met. Working in the service industry, being a clear and efficient communicator has put me in good stead.
This has been a key part of my roles in terms of product knowledge and distribution within the service industry.

Being clear minded and able to take in information and details quickly whether that be taking orders or handling bookings and product knowledge within all areas of my employment.
Pros
Friendly working environment and Staff-Employer relations
Cons
No Cons
The masons Arms is a very friendly atmosphere in general, it’s usually very busy at night and on the weekends, it’s fast service on steady nights and many people give compliments on the food, staff and service in general along with a good atmosphere, being a waitress there can be stressful on some nights as it does get very busy but if it’s a steady night work there is very good.
Pros
Nice customers who are regulars, nice staff
Cons
I work on my own most shifts
I would be asked to work whenever there was a busy day, I would have to collect glasses and load and unload the dishwasher. I was also asked to refill any fridges that needed filling so that the bar staff would always have stock. The hardest part of the job was working under pressure when it was an extremely busy day. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people, working as a team and learning new skills.
Other staff were nice. However, i wasnt able to get regular hours. The manager left sonI was left without a job. I learnt how to use a till and pour drinks.
Great environment with a hard working team. Helped me gain skills and worked up to assistant Manager. Really good place for seasonal staff. The Mason's taught me how to up sell on food and drink while keeping the customers best interest at heart.
Pros
Free Food
hard job unsociable hours, good team to work with, management ok but not always fair, very few weekends off or not much tome off at Christmas
Pros
good money
Cons
A fun atmosphere to work in with great management team to work alongside and a team of talented chefs.
Great regulars to chat to and have fun with whilst working.
Pros
10% discount
Cons
Can be quiet.
The Masons arms is a very safe and welcoming work place. Its also clean and tidy. Everyone gets welcomed with a warm smile and greeting. Its nice to go into work and everyone's getting along and feeling confident to communicate with everyone else.
The Mason Arms (or The Masons) is a small pub in Bourne. Each member of staff is really kind, helpful and full of character; The customers are also full of character too.
To be apart of the team is an experience in its self because it is like a family at The Masons Arms.

It can be hard at its busiest but that's to be expected, as long as the customers are happy, I am too.

I'd recommend anyone to come and see this pub as you are all welcome.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Masons Arms. Our community is ready to answer.