Marstons Employee Reviews

it was okay to start and then downhill after
Bar Supervisor / Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Faversham8 April 2018
i had no problem working with my colleagues i enjoyed going in to have a nice time and work hard but then it all came down to just pure work not allowed to have shifts swapped for any emergency or appointments that you may need to go to the rotas time on coming out were out of the question i have had to revolve life around my job which was fine at the start but now its taking over on a regular basis no matter what its always the job first over my health and/or personal life and management does not blink an eye at the bullying that goes on in the place regardless of the amount of times i have mentioned it or taken it higher.
Pros
getting paid
Cons
everything
Educational
Line Chef (Former Employee) –  Darlington16 March 2018
I learned a lot in this job. I went from cleaner to Line Chef in a short space of time, learning all along. The hours were quite long but the people I worked with were very friendly and fun to work with, which made the job enjoyable.
good place to work
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Hereford8 March 2018
I started off working here and it helped me to understand customer service and get my training sorted also making sure every customer is happy with their meal and drinks.
Pros
discount on meals
Cons
long hours, busy times
Fun workplace
Waitress/Bar Staff (Current Employee) –  Coventry, West Midlands24 February 2018
A good place to work If you need flexible work hours as you can work both in the day or in the evenings which is good and it is a fun and friendly work place
Pros
Discount
Cons
Pay isn’t great
Rubbish company
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  West Midlands4 February 2018
Food often dropped on floor and served regardless. Forced to work more than contracted hours without permission. Cost cutting constantly often means poor service. Inadequate training. All in all a joke of a company. Steer well clear.
Pros
Going home after each day.
Cons
Just about everything
Call agent (Former Employee) –  Waltham abbey20 January 2018
Enjoyed my time at this company and the work load was achievable and very interesting. I enjoyed helping people to make better choices and the right decisions so financially they could afford to pay their fines.
Great staff, little organisation or consideration.
Server/Waitress (Current Employee) –  Leicester16 January 2018
Loved working with the people I did. Everybody was friendly and understanding. I would have loved to continue working with Marstons but could no longer sustain myself on such low hours on minimum wage. 4.05 an hour and only 5 hours a week just wasnt enough. The hours i did manage to get were terribly understaffed and service suffered for it. Customers were frustrated with having to wait so long but we couldnt go any faster. By the end of a shift, I was frustrated, exhausted, and fed up.
Pros
30% of bill when on shift. 20% off shift. Easy to get time off. Friendly staff
Cons
Underpaid and understaffed
Bad management
Front of House Staff (Current Employee) –  Farnsfield, Nottinghamshire5 December 2017
The management treat you unfairly and decide when they want you and when they don’t regardless on the fact you’re meant to be a full time member of staff with a house to pay for!!!
Pros
Teams lovely
Cons
Late nights
fun working environment
KITCHEN ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Doncaster4 November 2017
Fun place to work, staff are always nice to work with and your always busy, dont get breaks as often as you should, and they arnt set hours you get a minimum hour contract.
Fun
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Halesowen, West Midlands1 October 2017
It’s a good place to work
Meet really nice people
My boss was a lovely person she always made sure I knew what I was doing and that I understood
The work she had given to me
Pros
Free food
Cons

Want to know more about Marstons?

Ask a question
Not too bad just very full on
Waitress/Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Staffordshire14 September 2017
Not too bad to work for with good benefits and treated well just very full on. Already working 10 hour shifts 5 days a week to then be asked to work additional 4 hours most days was a lot. Being as I was on part time hours
Pros
% off
Fun and hardworking
Kitchen Staff/Waitress (Current Employee) –  Weedon Beck13 September 2017
I enjoy working for Marston's we have a lot of fun in the work place but at the same time it is a very productive job. Everyone who works there is very welcoming.
Pros
Friendly staff
Don't bother. Ok for students maybe.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  ashford12 September 2017
Worse management I have ever come across.Terrible working conditions. Will work you like a dog for no extra pay or gratitude. Zero hour contracts. Low pay. What else can I say?
Pros
Nice local, some great staff, weekly pay
Cons
management, pay, job security, lack of professionalism
Enjoyed It
Picker Packer (Former Employee) –  Mansfield30 August 2017
I worked as a pick packer during the summer, the hours were unsociable but weekly pay and the amount of overtime hours available really made up for the unsocial job itself.
Pros
Weekly money
Good company
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Ilminster, Somerset18 August 2017
I worked for marsdons after I finished school it was a great a first job with good pay and good hours. Uniform was privided and training was done in paid hours
Nice work atmosphere
Waitress/Bar Staff (Current Employee) –  Welshpool, Powys7 August 2017
It can be hard work and a busy and stressful environment to work in but it could be a new and good experience if your not used to working with people , as it can help boost your confidence and improve your people skills.
Pros
Enjoyable
Cons
The pay isn't very good
Awful place to work
Line chef (Former Employee) –  Telford, Shropshire3 August 2017
Manager was abusive to all staff, wouldn't allow me time off to adjust to new medication which led to me being sick in the yard bins and having to go home anyway. Yelled at me in front of all of my coworkers, making me cry and leave my job immediately. No job progression even after being there for a year.
Also had to pay full price for food on your break.
Busy and social
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Coventry, West Midlands28 July 2017
I learned how to deal with difficult situations which improved my problem solving skills. Management was very understanding and enjoyable. The hardest part about the job was when the pub was incredibly busy and having to deal disputes between customers. It was also difficult having to work until 3am sometimes 3:30am. The most enjoyable part of the job was serving the regulars and creating friendships. This made the atmosphere fun and enjoyable to work.
Pros
half price food
the licensed trade
Public House Manager (Current Employee) –  Beverley, East Riding of Yorkshire12 July 2017
I have worked long hours for 32 years and need to step down from this and have some quality home life.
I am used to working as a team and working towards targets.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
working long hours
Not exactly the right place.
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Dunstable, Bedfordshire9 July 2017
The restaurant I was working in for Marstons company helped me manage my English which is my second language, however it also shows me how manipulative people were over there.