Marstons Plc Employee Reviews

Hard working, not appreciated
Knot and Plough (Former Employee) –  Stafford, Staffordshire10 May 2018
Working for marstons, had its perks - you would make a good group of friends, but that is about it. They do not offer you any alternative pay for bank holidays, new years eve. only double time on christmas day. Your expected to work like dogs with no appreciation. They allow you to be on a zero hour contract, so can stop giving you hours whenever they desire.
Terrible
Front of House Staff (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire27 April 2018
Management are horrendous, power happy and massive ego problems. Worked to death and spoke to like dogs. Worst place I've ever worked. Avoid like the plauge.
Pros
Walking to work
Cons
No tips. Management lying.
Pot Wash
Pot Washer (Former Employee) –  Swansea, Swansea23 April 2018
Working at Marstons was a good experience for me as I got to see how the mangers and chefs handled their job if it was easy or hard work? Doing something simple like pot wash has helped me a lot as if I wanted to become a chef, bar manger then I now know how difficult it would be. Marstons handle their pubs very well and pick the right people to take over the pubs.
Pros
Meeting new people, learning recipes from the chef, free lunches
Drayman at Blackburn
Drayman (Former Employee) –  Blackburn9 April 2018
A shambles of a company. You get worked to death and get treated like dirt on your shoe by management. Avoid like the plague. Turnover of staff is ridiculous
Pros
Some good lads there
Cons
Long hours, back breaking, get sacked if you say anything
Enjoyable Work.
Chef (Former Employee) –  Worcestershire8 April 2018
Enjoyed working with them although not ideal, felt welcomed by the staff and found the work quite rewarding although hard. i am happy that i had a chance to work in the industry.
Poor
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Bridgnorth, Shropshire7 April 2018
Left a job to join Marston's after I was told I'd be getting full time hours... Ended up with 18 hours a week. Training was ridiculous, wasn't told anything about the products sold, wasn't introduced to any other members of staff, wasn't told table numbers and there was so many complaints about the quality of food and the waiting times. Also a customer asked if there were nuts in a dessert and no one including the kitchen staff knew which was embarrassing and difficult to explain.
Pros
Quitting was fun
Cons
Everything.
this workplace pushes you to be more than you could imagine however never offers you benefits, appreciation or a bright and successful future with th
Line chef (Former Employee) –  Bordon6 April 2018
working for this company offered me the chance to work hard and open my mind to what other job opportunities may be out there. However, never gave me the opportunity to progress within the company itself. many times I felt Unappreciated and disheartened by the work I had done. upper levels of management seem to have no care for the lower members of staff.
Cons
long hours. minimum pay. unhelpful and unappreciative management.
Productive and fun.
Waitress/Bar Staff (Current Employee) –  Oswestry, Shropshire25 March 2018
It is a good company to work for, the benefit of having a Marstons card is great. A lot of money saved at restaurants and inns. Downside is the minimum wage and lack of hours available at the end and start of the years. I cannot live off of £5.60 an hour when I am only getting between 14 and 20 hours a week. I cannot afford to move out my mum's home, and I can't afford to drive. When I do get hours, I will not get half day shifts spread out across the days, I either recieve a 12 hour shift or a 6 and both make for very unsociable days. For a place that runs shifts on rota, every member of staff is expected to work all day on a Sunday. Disappointed. Expected to pay for lunch, which, as I say on my wage, is very difficult to afford 3 lunches a week as well as drinks.
Pros
Privilege Card.
Cons
Long hours, pay for lunches and drinks. Unsociable working hours.
great for meeting people
Bar Staff (Current Employee) –  England19 March 2018
A slow day can feel very slow but a busy day flies by and can make you smile even if you are feeling down as people will uplift your spirit.
I continually update on food hygiene and company working standards.
Pros
ability to get to know your regulars
Cons
weekends are the busy times
Fun but soul destroying
Line chef (Current Employee) –  Hunstanton11 March 2018
The people who work at marstons really make it workable, but its fast food and the manegment will work you to the bone. Kitchen management needs work as they do not seem to know what they are doing
Pros
30% discount
Cons
To many to name
Awful
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, Lincolnshire6 March 2018
Worked 1day at lincoln Marston’s hotel all I can say is the Head of housekeeper thinks shes something special for sure , I never ever had to walk out on a job before but I’ve never ever ever come across someone like her in my life!! Please if you look at this job take in to count you are going to work with someone that lies and speaks to you like poo good luck people 😊
Pros
No pros on this job
Cons
They get you in the door !
Exploitation Galore.
Line Chef (Current Employee) –  Somerset6 March 2018
I started as an Apprentice Chef on £6 an hour which I hugely appreciated. I ended up teaching the course content to myself as there as no support. I finished and qualified in 10 months, and the pay rate increased to £7.50 an hour.

I worked 50/60, sometimes 70 hour weeks (there was no head chef, only 3 young chefs to run the kitchen, myself being the oldest, most qualified but newest member). I received no thanks or gratitude. After holding the place on our shoulders with a great weight, all the staff feel exploited beyond belief, the pay is sickening in comparison to the work that we do; we are paid the rate of a non-CDP chef despite doing the job of a kitchen manager.

No free food, no free drinks, Discount is absymal.

Do not recommend.
Pros
None.
Cons
No life left outside work, poor pay, no management, lack of care to staff
great staff poor management
Waitress/food runner (Former Employee) –  north yorkshire21 February 2018
overall great enviroment to work but management lets it down massively customers and work star are lovely, everyday was different as we got regular and new customers good and bad customers, but always have a great shift, until management failed me. most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and having a laugh with everyone.
Pros
meeting new people and getting to be myself
Cons
management was awful.
Review for: The Bellflower, Garstang, Lancashire
Waitress - Part Time (Former Employee) –  Garstang, Lancashire18 February 2018
A typical day at work would require me to do the following jobs which included clearing away any dirty dishes, taking food to customers, asking customers if everything was satisfactory for them and if they required anything else. When the restaurant started to get quiet, I was asked to do various jobs around the restaurant which included hoovering, mopping and sweeping. Throughout the course of my experience at Marston's, I learnt many brand new skills that I feel will help with roles you will expect me to complete on a day to day basis.
Pros
Once I had been at Marston's for a while, I was used to dealing with the public and it increased my confidence levels
Cons
When I first started I wasn't used to working with the public
Treated as two a penny
Drayman (Former Employee) –  Bedford4 February 2018
A classic definition of talk the talk but could never walk the walk. Very clicky, very unprofessional and very rude corporation. Didnt feel valued. Glad im out.
Pros
Warm fleece
Cons
Everything and returning the fleece
Productive and rewarding
Youth waitress (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton, West Midlands1 February 2018
It was a place that I looked forward to going to, the customer-staff relations were very good and it was always good to receive positive feedback, it made the job worthwhile
moved from the area
interal sales (Former Employee) –  Ringwood1 February 2018
I started out with merchant cellar in 1994. the company had a couple of 'takeovers' Marstons being the final one.

Dealing with incoming / outgoing calls
promoting offers
looking after existing clients.
Pros
good hours
Terrible hours, terrible pay
Line chef (Former Employee) –  March, Cambridgeshire18 January 2018
Sure you would expect unsocial hours with a catering job, but to be forced to work 70 hours a week with no days off for long periods of time and then blackmail if you try to uphold your right to a day off. 0 hour contracts are bad enough, without a company using them to exploit staff
Pros
10% meals or 50% while on break
Nice job, horrible colleagues/management
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Whitby14 January 2018
Got on well with staff when first started, but it soon became clear that the long-standing housekeepers thought they were above and had more authority than the managers.

Management was told more than five times about my grievances, yet nothing was ever done. I was being bullied in the workplace and no-one would help.

Some housekeepers i worked with were lovely, but the ones who worked there since it opened, talked down to others, ordered the manager around, spoke to people like they were something they'd stood in.
Pros
Short days
Cons
Bullying, no management, 0 hour contract for everyone
No home or social life
Head Chef (Former Employee) –  Kidderminster9 January 2018
Had some great times working in various pubs ..the only draw back is no home or social life ..working through breaks so end up working 12 hours straight .Working every weekend
Cons
Long hours ..no social life ..no home life

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marstons Plc. Our community is ready to answer.