Marstons Plc Employee Reviews

Disappointing
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire11 December 2018
Zero hour contract, was led to believe that the position would be permanent with lots of opportunities for training and progression. However clearly it was only ever a temporary situation to tide them over until new GM came along. Favouritism of certain staff and this led to other staff being bullied and leaving.

No training apart from e-learning, which doesn’t state all the necessary information. Wasn’t paid for e-learning as promised I would be. Unreasonable labour targets to hit. Very disappointed. Very unprofessionally handled.
Pros
Some staff are lovely!!
Cons
Everything else
Aweful management
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Beverley, East Riding of Yorkshire11 December 2018
If your looking for a stable job this isn't it. Trust me ! Soon as you think your settled your out the door... his staff rotation is shocking in one week he got rid of 3 members of staff who only started 3 weeks pria... What a bell end . I did get told what he was like but i never listened wish had now ...
Pros
Foods good
Cons
Boss
A sinking ship
Class 1 Driver (Former Employee) –  Burton-On-Trent8 December 2018
A very badly managed Company as far as transport is concerned. Weak and unqualified managers without any knowledge of running a transport department. Plenty of money spent on nice equipment which looks good but abuse and poor training of agency drivers quickly takes it toll. Uncompetitive as far as wages are concerned and for a Company that offers no incentive for night workers it shows a backward mentality and an obvious need for a management restructure.

Best advice for a Class 1 driver is avoid Marstons’s as there are many other companies that outclassed this amateur outfit.
Pros
My resignation letter
Cons
Uncompetitive pay and poor management
Shocking place to work
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Hoddesdon, Hertfordshire7 December 2018
I worked at marstons for 11 years in terrible conditions. The whole place is run by people who treat you with disdain. A really horrible company to work for. I cannot explain just how bad it is there. I'm so pleased I left and can't believe I wasted so many years of my life there. The advert is massively misleading, there's no banter just misery served with a side order of regret every day. Management are awful sociopaths from top to bottom. Please do not apply for this small minded, badly run (family friendly)😂 company about to go broke. It will be the worst decision you make. Please believe me
Pros
No weekends
Cons
You'll be working for marstons
very Productive workplace
Waiter/Barman (Former Employee) –  lincoln4 December 2018
At Marston's i was a waiter working round a busy environment. The staff was friendly and the business was well structered in terms of hierarchy who was always respectful.
Money grabbing and disrespectful.
Waiter/Runner (Former Employee) –  Hawkinge, Kent3 December 2018
Staff are rude and two faced, manager, head chef and assistant manager are the same. Sometimes used to finish at 1:30am after starting at 11:00am the previous day. Disorganised work place, can treat you badly due to high staff turnover, also got unfair share of tips. Don’t waste your time here.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Stated below.
used to be ok
staff (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury1 December 2018
some of the staff are rude
two faced staff and suck up to the manger
food isnt always great
some staff dont wash hands
long waiting times
kitchen can be dirty
1 or two of the staff were nice and helpful
Pros
some times the food
Cons
staff
Busy workplace
Second Chef (Former Employee) –  Newport, Newport30 November 2018
Split kitchen with main cook line and carvery site. Days vary depedning on the day, For example quieter in the week, really busy Friday nights and extremely busier on Sundays.
Pros
Chance to progress
Boring workplace
Waitressing (Former Employee) –  Telford and Wrekin26 November 2018
While working at Marstons i found that it was a very uncomfortable, i didn't feel like i could be myself or that i had a chance to learn the job properly because i would be constantly ridiculed by the chef and the other team members if i made a mistake. The people would shout and the chef would be very rude towards everyone.
Robots wanted
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Chorley, Lancashire25 November 2018
Unfortunately Marstons are all about making money for shareholders. They want robots and not humans with personality and opinions who can offer something different. Everything is a checklist, every silly box must be ticked and signed for so they can always put blame on somebody. If you like being on edge all the time then this job is for you. Very very corporate rubbish. Management awful probably because area managers are constantly on their backs and pressuring them to make more money to make them look like better area managers. Don't expect to be supported by your manager. If a customer complains they will automatically be given something free so that the complaint doesn't travel up the chain. Try it, complain on the site and be rewarded with a free meal for 2 minutes work. Anyway because of the low pay chances are you'll be working with not the best staff particularly in the kitchen. Good luck if you decide to go for it but don't forget to oil up
Pros
Hmm
Cons
Check out the review
Don’t waste your time
Food runner (Former Employee) –  Hereford22 November 2018
If it wasn’t for the effort of the assistant manager and certain team members,this pub would have crumbled. You only ever actually see the manager for about 10 minutes a day in which he quickly leaves to go back home. The rota doesn’t go out until the day before you work, which they expect you to drop anything you’ve planned to do. There have been a few times where myself or other team members have been on shifts like a 12-9 or 12- finish and haven’t even had a break. If you’re on a finish don’t expect to get out any earlier then half 10 at night as half the time you’re still there gone 11:45pm. The manager expects you to basically run the pub for him on the very minimum wage and the attitude he has is appalling. You’re on very minimum wage and even then you will constantly get underpaid which they won’t solve. Personally don’t waste your effort or time in getting a job here because as soon as you do that’s your social life underground.
The only decent thing about working here was actually seeing the assistant manager and other team members manage to quickly learn,run and handle anything that came to that pub.
Cons
Long hours, management, underpaid, no social life
very good
Second Chef (Former Employee) –  Birmingham18 November 2018
grest company to work for highly recomended great atmospher great company and great benefits would go back in a heartbeat if one was closer to home that is the only drawback
Worked a lot for a little amount.
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Bishop Auckland, Durham16 November 2018
I felt as thought everyone does the same job yet the younger ones get paid so little, sometimes I felt I’d be doing more work than others and I was only getting paid £4.20, overall I felt the stress wasn’t worth the money.
Pros
25% off lunch
Cons
Pay rate
just another money grabbing workplace
Chef/Cook (Former Employee) –  Shardlow, Leicestershire11 November 2018
a typical day at marstons, was not fun. No chance of learning new things or new menus, if the management don't like you, they will effect your working day
Pros
finishing
Cons
management
Fun workspace
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Doncaster10 November 2018
The people who I worked with were very nice. They were funny and caring and the management staff were very kind and looked after all the staff no matter what position they were in . My time there was really good and it thought me lots of new skills
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Long shifts
great
line chef (Current Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire3 November 2018
this is a great place to work and to further your self and your career it can be busy and very demanding but is a great place to work in and the buzz of a good busy kitchen is unbelievable
Awful management, low wages, unpredictible hours
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Weston-super-Mare, Somerset29 October 2018
The management was awful, they don't care for the employees at all and they only pay you minimum wage. The hours are very unpredictable and could go from 10 hours to 40 hours depending on the time of year. Also no food was provided by the company so you paid for that yourself. The only good Thing is the 20% off food you get but that doesn't even count drinks.
Pros
20% off food
Cons
Bad management, low wages and unpredictable hours of work
Not a good place to work with the main manager
FOH Team Member (Former Employee) –  Quedgeley, Gloucestershire24 October 2018
Disgusting manager. I worked there for a few months. The manager spoke to staff in a vile manner, swearing at them in front of customers. He'd even speak to customers in this way as well as drinking on shift. Staff turnover is ridiculous & how head office hasn't noticed this or acted on it is beyond me! Most staff weren't happy to be working there. The only positive thing I can say is that the hours worked around family. For this particular Marstons pub, I'd certainly give a wide birth!
Pros
worked around famol
Cons
Disgusting manager behaviour
Great team, awful management
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Telford, Shropshire21 October 2018
Management had very little respect for employees and were treated as assets instead of people. The people there and friendships made were incredible but is unfortunately ruined by managers.
As a student, I am unable to work many hours over week, while managers would make me work up to 30 hours per week. I was also rarely given breaks when on long shifts.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Long hours, no flexibility
Food Runner (Former Employee) –  Hereford, Herefordshire21 October 2018
There is nothing good about this job at all, the staff are rude and obxious. They are all up each others backsides They management is horrfic they are not fair at they can not work around your social life.
A typical day at work is being moaned at, people being rude to you.
They get involved with your social life and put there say into your business there happy enough to do that, i have learnt nothing at this job apair from how to put up with rude offesive comments off management.
do NOT get a job here you will regret this massively, i did and i havent never wanted to quit a job more.
Pros
Cons
everything you can possiblely think of

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marstons Plc. Our community is ready to answer.