Marks and Spencer Employee Reviews

Found 3,110 reviews matching the search
Very good job
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eltham19 August 2017
Good wages, good hours, lovely staff. No issues when working here. Very customer-orientated, very professional as opposed to other jobs. Christmas can be a particularly stressful time to work, but the staff morale can manage that fairly well.
Busy and demanding working environment
Customer Advisor (Current Employee) –  Kent18 August 2017
Firstly retail is hard work and M&S is no exception! There is a good camaraderie amongst colleagues but it's full on the whole working day! You will barely be able to draw breath at times.
Pros
20% discount card
Cons
Never seem to have enough staff
The team was amazing!
Team Member (Former Employee) –  London Bridge Station, Greater London18 August 2017
The work ethic at M&S is great! Everyone is really friendly and the management team explains very well. There is good communication down the chain of command. I have learned many skills working at M&S such as serving customers and learning how to use the tills as well as the self-service tills. I have learned how to stock shelved using the date rotation method.
Pros
15% discount
Cons
Only half an hour break
Productive workplace
Sales and Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Runcorn, Cheshire18 August 2017
M&S was a good place to work for your money and the people you meet are great. I left the job because i want a new challenging experience, but over all a good workplace to meet new friendly people and you learn so much.
Very good
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  strat17 August 2017
Great fun meet lots of new people. If you enjoy helping people and talking to people then marks and spencer is the job for you as you will meet so many different people
Customer Assistant
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Glasgow17 August 2017
An enjoybale job with useful benefits all year round. Friendly colleagues and also a respected management set up. Very accommodating with other factors in life i.e university, coaching etc Great to interact with different individuals on a day to day basis, providing a helping hand.
Fast-paced working environment
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burnley17 August 2017
A typical day at work for me was waking up very early in the morning to start my shift at 6am, which lasted a minimum of 4 hours, 5 days a week.

I learned a lot about customer service, how stock is kept up to standard and how to work more efficiently.

Management are very understanding and polite.

It is a very hard-working environment, where everyone feeds off each other's synergy.

The hardest part had to be waking up so early to get there for 6am.

My colleagues that I worked with, they were all so friendly, so polite and I could always share a laugh and a joke with them.
Pros
Free food at break, staff discount of 20%
Cons
Early morning starts
Interesting and Insightful
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield, West Yorkshire16 August 2017
Through my brief work placement I gained many key workplace skills and learned about the business from an interesting perspective. Management were supportive and encouraging but many tasks were challenging as we had to work in a team with members having many different skill sets.
Pros
Working hours
Cons
Travel
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Slough, Berkshire16 August 2017
He company has a very good working envouirment and is very fair to thier employees, it prides itself with providing excellent customer service.

The team are very productive when dealing with customer enquiries and any other problems they offer solutions.
They can improve with the longer hours they provide for thier stuff and handle the routers better in rider for the team to run more efficiently.

My personal experience with marks and Spencer's is very good , I would highly recommend people to apply to males and Spencer's.
Pros
Good working enviourment
Potential for advancement
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Whiteley16 August 2017
The company emphasised professionalism and hard work but also offered training, overtime and access to management training. As a student, I wasn't looking for a career, however it does give opportunities to many.
Overall great place to work
Section Manger (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London16 August 2017
I have progressed through Marks and Spencer since I left school! I have learnt a huge amount about the business and have developed massively working for this business over the past few years.
Pros
Great Place to work
Cons
Manager Salary not high enough
Overall positive experience
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kirkcaldy15 August 2017
A typical day as a customer assistant would often be split between filling shelves, assisting customers and till operating. All of the managers I worked with were well organised and helpful. The only negative comment for me would be that it can often be a long time before employees are offered a permanent contract and instead just have temporary contracts extended, which can leave individuals without job security.
Would recommend
Retail Assistant (Full Time) (Former Employee) –  Cheshire Oaks15 August 2017
This is one of the best companies to work for, especially i you have just left school. The company do not discriminate toward age, gender, sexuality, disability', nothing at all. M&S is a place to build up a career. A typical day would be stressful in all honesty, due to its extremely fast pace and sometimes rude customers but you get this in most retail places.
i would 100% recommend working at M&S to anyone in need of a career or even a part time job.
Pros
good pay
Cons
occasionally stressful environment
productive and challenging workplace, poor section managers.
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pollok15 August 2017
From my experience as a customer assistant at M&S womenswear, I found the workplace challenging yet enjoyable.

The most challenging part was dealing with tough costumers and their complaints. However, helping customers find what the are looking for and seeing them satisfied with your customer service makes the job worth while. Your hard work was never overlooked as positive feedback from customers was recognised as monthly rewards. I found that this was a great way of encouraging employees and being rewarded for your hard work.

Everday was different and everday I learnt something new about the workplace. The team worked together well which made the workplace more relaxed and enjoyable. However, the section management team that I had were terrible. I was treated poorly and degraded even after all my hard work.

It was a shame because the work was enjoyable and I receive the monthly rewards but was not appreciated for my efforts. For those who have exam study during working hours, I wouldn't recommend applying as they say they take this into consideration but leave you with longer working hours and added stress.

In the end, I was compelled to leave.
Pros
Staff Discount
Cons
short breaks
Good Expereince
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, Aberdeen City15 August 2017
I really enjoyed working here as I met lots of new and friendly people, it was nice to work in a professional environment and be around people who really cared about the customers.
very nice place and staff
wearhouse operative (Former Employee) –  Rugby15 August 2017
start day from signing in then all people go take scanners then managers say whole goal for that day says all news takes about 10-15 min then all people swipe for task and go to directed area to work :)
Excellent workplace
Customer Assistant (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Elgin15 August 2017
Excellent workplace, pity that they only take on temps for Christmas though, with little chance for extending your contract regardless of performance.
Marks and Spencer review
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burton-On-Trent, Staffordshire15 August 2017
I really enjoyed my work placement with Marks and Spencer. The staff were very friendly and approachable and I really enjoyed the duties that I undertook.
Fast paced and totally customer focused.
Customer Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gateway retail park, Banbury13 August 2017
From the moment you are on the shop floor you are totally busy all the time. There are numerous deadlines and targets to hit all day everyday. Everyday is never the same. you could be putting out stock to serving customers, dealing with problems and helping colleagues. There will be situations where you are working alone as well as working as a team.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
some unsocial hours
busy and productive
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Swansea, Swansea12 August 2017
Lovely place to work and very motivating...nice to meet different people every day and helping them with whatever they need,I would definitely recommend anyone to work here

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marks and Spencer. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval