Marks and Spencer Employee Reviews

Fun
Visual Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester15 December 2017
Bad management no staff loyalty. Visual merchandising team treated like cleaners. No communication between different teams. No job perks like there used to be.
Fun and caring workplace
Hospitality and Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire14 December 2017
During my time with the company, M&S really looked after me. I began there as a Saturday girl, but whenever I expressed a wish to work more hours, my managers did everything they could to accommodate me.

My role in the cafe required me to operate the coffee machines, prepare and heat up food, serve food to the customers and cleaning the floor and tables. The job was quite stressful due to a large number of very impatient customers, and I suffered minor burns to my hands on a regular basis as a result of the coffee machine, but the team were mostly very supportive and helpful and we all rotated between different jobs to ensure that people had a break from rushing around making hot drinks for the customers.

The till can be quite difficult to get used to as there are a lot of items which have to be put through manually and it takes some time getting used to where everything is. Once you get to grips with everything, though, it's absolutely fine and you learn to cope with the pressure of the cafe quite quickly after that.
Pros
good salary, overtime often available, lots of training
Cons
hectic working environment, grumpy customers
Productive and enjoyable
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reading13 December 2017
A typical day working at Marks and Spencer would consist of working the tills, putting out, organizing and tidying the clothing and manning the fitting room. I developed my communication and social skills and learnt how to work more than competently in a team. The management was near perfect but I struggled with booking holidays that I wanted and that was the only flaw. The workplace culture was friendly and easy-going; I got along well with all of my colleagues while still working hard to achieve the days set goals. The hardest part of the job was working on the till during busy times and period, such as midday and Christmas. The most enjoyable part of the job was manning the fitting room. This is because I was able to converse with customers and get to know more people while also being able to do jobs such as measuring and suit fitting.
Pros
Long breaks with cheap, subsidized food
Cons
Could sometimes be boring during quiet hours
Not bad
Supermarket Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, Devon13 December 2017
Good place to work depending on the team you work with and depending on who’s manager. Good days flew by but some days was slow. Could do with some better management.
Pros
Good rate
Cons
Bad management
M & S review
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth13 December 2017
Typical day at work starts at morning till afternoon. I learned a lot o skills, like using tills and team work. management there is not too bad. hardest part is accepting deliveries. in addition the best part of job is the staff
Considerate Retail
Events Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London12 December 2017
a fun, busy company to work for

weekly pay during probationary period is a great perk, as well as competitive salary

uniform is good, management are often very aware of how you are doing and offer training at every juncture

I have transferred across several stores and this is consistently true!
Pros
canteen heavily subsidised
Cons
customers often expect much more of you
Great Employer
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Taunton, Somerset12 December 2017
The company was fun to work for and they accommodated most of my holiday requests. The staff were friendly and the customers grateful of the help and support we provided.
Productive with minimal communication.
HR Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester12 December 2017
I have really enjoyed working for M&S's HRSS department. I've met some amazing people in an office with a great productivity and vibrancy.
There is an issue of communication throughout this company. With every aspect of this job you find that communication is lacking from the store to every process of hiring.
The discount is good but the salary is minimal and the way that pay works is very inconvenient with dates and pre payments.
This job was a great stop gap, for training in hiring processes but I would not be interested in staying with the company long term.
Pros
Discount and Community
Cons
Communication and Technology
Busy and fast-paced workplace
In Store Baker (Current Employee) –  Orpington, Greater London12 December 2017
6am starts, bake all products based on daily cybake quantities averaged out based on sales over a 6 week period.
The best part of the role is you're essentially left to work independently and to get on with your jobs without much instruction from management. the hardest part is being responsible for getting your own stock from the industrial freezer.
Enjoyable with good perks
Section Manager (Former Employee) –  nireland9 December 2017
As an everyday job this company is a great place to work. Progression can be quick although it makes your job extremely variable where you don't know what section of the store or what store you could be working in. Perks for advisors are great but sometimes not so good for management.
Pros
progression plans
Cons
no pay rise as management
Shop floor worker (Former Employee) –  Leeds8 December 2017
Something that stood out to me during my short time here was the excellent standard of staff treatment, all members of staff were given lunch allowances etc. and management were fair and kind in their interactions with us. This made for good workplace morale creating a friendly environment making even the longest days easier.
Pros
meal allowances, discounts
Cons
Not worth the energy you put in.
Store Operations (Current Employee) –  Summertown, Oxfordshire7 December 2017
You are made to work like a dog, you get blamed for things that don't involve you, you'll break your back everyday and get no credit, lazy staff, two faced managers
Pros
20% discount
Cons
Short breaks, long hours, no progression for employee, lack of teamwork, divide in staff
Let you get on with it by yourself
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham7 December 2017
This was part of my work placement from the Ninestiles school. It gave me valuable experience of the work place and how to behavior in business situations.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
N/a
just okay
CUSTOMER ADVISER (Former Employee) –  Dundee City6 December 2017
working at M&S was enjoyable and fun, however has a lack of flexibility in working hours, which is not suitable for a student. The managers are easy to get along with, and are understanding.
Pros
fun, enjoyable and relaxed
Cons
low pay, no flexibility
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire6 December 2017
Really good to work for. Staff are really nice, teach you everything you need to know about the workplace (how to bring in a delivery, how to work the till etc).
Pros
Free food
Cons
Great place to work and gain skills and experience
Customer assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London6 December 2017
my time with marks and spencers was short due to a temporary contracted role at marks and spencers. Although the timing was short i thoroughly enjoyed working at this business as there was so much i had learnt and experienced within a retail store. i found working here helpful to my future choices.
Pros
Good pay
Ok
Learning and Development Administrator (Current Employee) –  Salford Wuays4 December 2017
A good team of people and job benefits, but the company as a rule does not pay the going rate for work. This causes them to lose key staff and key skills causing them to have to retrain staff.
lovely place to work
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Taunton, Somerset30 November 2017
Good place to work with very friendly staff and customers. Good wage with 20% staff discount. Nice at Christmas time especially. Everyone always seems happy at M&S.
Fun workplace
Stockroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands30 November 2017
They are encouraging and helpful during the short period that I was there. Especially during the day you meet new and interesting customers. Fun and enjoyable work environment.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Takes a while to learn your way around the shop.
Very good other than a few things
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sale28 November 2017
I believe that my work there was very good. I mainly had to unbox things and put them on the shelves, however this was not too tedious. I learnt lots of things to do with trade and how to handle customers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marks and Spencer. Our community is ready to answer.