Marks and Spencer Employee Reviews

Work place
retail assistant (Former Employee) –  Stratford, Greater London21 October 2017
It was a fun place to work for sure. The over all atmosphere was really good especially when we had the Olympics it was once in a life time for all of us and we all had some real fun
Energetic and good working moral
Assistant Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  London20 October 2017
Had a hood working culture / working as part of a team. Open planned offices supporting each other accross of roles and responsibility. Flexible with work / life balance.
Good Company
Operations Assistant (Current Employee) –  North Wales20 October 2017
Overall M&S Are Doing The Right Thing To Be Successful. But The Store I Work In Is Doing The Wrong Thing With The Wrong Staff! The Management Stick Together and Can Not Be Contacted When Required
Pros
Good Hourly Rate
Cons
The people you meet make the business
Commercial Manager (Current Employee) –  Chichester19 October 2017
M&S has been through a significant period of change since I joined the business, some not always good. I met some outstanding and inspirational Managers, and learned a lot about different styles of management. Depending where and who you work for work life balance can vary, and enabling change felt like turning an oil tanker sometimes. Overall have enjoyed my time there and had some great experiences.
Pros
People
Cons
Ambiguity
Enjoyable Job
Customer Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Armagh19 October 2017
Very busy job, but very enjoyable. Meeting a lot of different people.
A lot of different things associated with the job. You could be packing the shelves or on the tills. I once did food demonstration of new product to customers which was fun.
Dull
Floor Staff (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, Essex19 October 2017
A typical day involved working on the clothes and food floor restocking and organising.
Did not learn anything.
The management told me !! several times that I didn't want to be there?
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Management, boring
Fun
Food Hall Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne18 October 2017
Started at 10 until 5.

Varied tasks

Sometimes customers were not engaging but you have to be cheerful anyway.

Staff are very nice and helpful, especially to new employees.
enjoyable
Customer assistant (Current Employee) –  Chelmsford, Essex18 October 2017
a typical day at work would be enjoying serving customers and getting positive feed back.
I learnt how to do reductions and 1 and 2.
The hardest part of the job is nothing really.
the most enjoyable part of the job is helping the customers and making sure they are happy.
Pros
discounts
Productive and good Work enviroment
Customer Personal Shopping Advisor (Former Employee) –  Essex Thurrock17 October 2017
Nice company to work for, they compensate you well, but there is a tendency of neurotic over the top zealousness. Opportunities for advancement within the business are very scarce and laden with nepotism.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Long hours and too fussy
Productive and enjoyable
Store Operations Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ealing Broadway Station17 October 2017
I loved it, managers were friendly and always tried help and wernt lazy, not repetive and job was enjoyable at times i would reccomend working there defo
Great place to work everyone was heppyful and good to work with
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dundee City17 October 2017
Duties included greeting customers who enter the shop involved in stock control and management assisting shoppers to find the goods and products they are looking for repesponsible for processing cash and card payment stocking shelves with merchandise answering queries from customers reporting discrepancies and problems to the supervisor giving advice and guidance on product selection to customers dealing with customer refunds keeping the store tidy and clean this includes mopping responsible dealing with customers complaints working within established guidelines particularly with brands attaching price tags to merchandise responsible for security within the store and being on the lookout for shoplifters and fraudulent credit card etc receiving and storing the delivery of large amounts of stock and keeping up to date with special promotions and erecting displays
Pros
Great place to work friendly
Great
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow City Centre, Glasgow17 October 2017
Working for marks and spencers was great as i learned a lot due to being given a chance to work in all different areas of the store. Management were lovely and were always there to help.
Productive and fun place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Notting Hill17 October 2017
I loved working for marks and Spencer’s unfortunately for personal reasons I had to leave,
Great team members, friendly atmosphere,
Regular customers to the local store made it very personal working there, was really nice.
Productive but limited
Customer assistant (Current Employee) –  hammersmith17 October 2017
Not a company that promotes growth and development and is very unsupportive. They fail to ensure that there staff are well cared for. and workplace adjustments .
Nice Place to Work
SECTION COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  London16 October 2017
Nice place to work specially if you are flexible , management are ok but need improvement , some stores needs more staff and more training . overall nice place to work
Pros
Good Pay only CITY
Cons
Less Staff
Productive and friendly
Seasonal Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Omagh, County Tyrone16 October 2017
All the Staff members are friendly and easy to work with. If had a problem or needed help they were all willing to help and they were all willing to give you feedback on what you are doing.
Fantastic place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Beverley15 October 2017
Lovely colleagues and management. A fun and motivating atmosphere to work in. Felt very welcome and never felt bad if I had to ask for help. Really built up my confidence
Pros
Great working environment
Cons
Some supervisors/management weren't always helpful
love the shop and the staff
Temporary Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Meadowhall, South Yorkshire15 October 2017
the staff are very friendly and polite .

pretty fast paced but enjoy every minute.

retail assistant (temporary)

it has different cultures around the store and many different foods.

not being able to sort a customers query or lack of stock available.

being able to make the customer happy and satisfied with the quality of care that they have received from myself.

the meadowhall staff are brilliant and polite and will go out their way to help a customer.
Pros
good customer service
Cons
lack of stock
great workplace
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kettering, Northamptonshire14 October 2017
I learned how to stack shelves and date rotate as I did it on a daily basis, everybody who works there is always so cheerful. I felt the hardest part of the job was making sure all of the stock was out before opening times, but the most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know the regular customers and help them around the shop and the reducing of the stock the end of the day. I felt that the management at the store could be improved a small amount and getting told about things that needed to be done like needing to apply for jobs after Christmas to keep the job.
Pros
discount card
Business focused workplace
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Aberystwyth, Ceredigion14 October 2017
Highly organised business, where management is well focused on achieving goals and supporting their team. The culture in workplace is of a good standard.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marks and Spencer. Our community is ready to answer.