Marks and Spencer Employee Reviews

Found 4,240 reviews matching the search See all 4,766 reviews
Shambles
Operations Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cheshire13 October 2018
I’m a current Operations employee with M&S and having worked there for over 2 years I can safely say that the business has deteriorated massively. Managers couldn’t care less about you being sick, I know of members who have had written warnings due to sickness (even though they had a viable sick note.) Holiday booking needs improving as you have to plan a year or more in advance and may not be guaranteed the time off. The day to day processes are ridiculous and the work load is far too much. Poor management often results in understaffing and having 1 person off sick can cause serious issues. There just semems to be no co-ordination and no direction, I often feel like I could run the place better and I’m not a “qualified manager.” Would avoid this company as it will only get worse.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Poor management, High work Loads
Excellent work environment
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Guildford13 October 2018
• Handle customer complaints and requests.
• Maintain aspirational standards for customers.
• Maintain a safe & legal working environment for colleagues and customers.
• Report writing and administrative duties.
• Awarded Spotlight STAR Award for August 2016.
great and more committed
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Castle Donington, Leicestershire13 October 2018
It was a great job and with more organised with most modren machines and the system was brillient that makes our work more easier and enjoible what i like it more.
i had the chance to work with a team and the people was friendly and helpfuly.
Pros
canteen services for long hours
my review
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Castle Donington12 October 2018
I spent about 1 and a half year working for Marks and Spencers
I really enjoyed it but I left because I wanted to do something else instead of packing parcels
CAFÉ ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire11 October 2018
M&S provide a welcoming environment, with managers being approachable and ultimately supportive of individual situations or concerns.
They are flexible when it comes to working hours where possible, overtime and holidays and always try to accommodate you if you feel you want to change departments and try something new.
I love working for M&S, the staff and management are friendly, there is always help on hand and the benefits are amazing too.
It isn't an easy job as most think, but it is rewarding and you can make life long friends here too.
Pros
Perks & discounts
Cons
Fast pace and can be demanding over busy periods
Employment at Marks and Spencers
Section Manager (3 Departments) (Former Employee) –  Lymington, New Forest, and West Quay, Southampton11 October 2018
Working for M&S is so much more than working for one of the nation’s largest retailers. you need to have a passion for excellence, a flexible approach in all that you do and always putting customers first. There is mutual trust and friendship among those you spend a lot of time with, a feeling of belonging. They want you to be your best and they want the best. There are a variety of opportunities on offer. If you play your part, you’ll be rewarded with competitive salaries, bonus schemes, flexible working options and the opportunity to volunteer in the community..
Pros
Discount, Offers, Bonus, Friendship, Good Rate of Pay, Sharesave, Life insurance, Pension, Sharebuy
Cons
Long hours, Shifts
Very fun to an extent
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Shepherds Bush, Greater London11 October 2018
Very enjoyable especially working with peers.
Very different to a normal retail job.
Being able to handle deliveries to the store and from the store.
An excellent company to work for.
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tunbridge Wells, Kent10 October 2018
I spent a week on work experience, the staff were very supportive and trained me in all aspects of the work of the store. I would recommend this company to someone who wishes to learn about the workplace.
temporary,give it a miss you wont get a job,bullshetters
Stores Person (Former Employee) –  Sprucefield10 October 2018
do not apply for a temp job unless it is only for xtra dosh and you are not looking a career,they are only going to use you for xmas.they promise you the world and workers who have been there the dinosaurs stand and watch you working laughing behind your back.
Pros
Cons
dont apply
I worked here for three months temporary post
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds10 October 2018
I gained experience and training on a day to day basis working here, even though it was for a short time.

This was in retail business and helped me learn in retail.
Christmas Temp 2016
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bromley10 October 2018
I was a Christmas temp in 2016, I mainly worked in the head office but the tasks carried out was VERY varied. My job title was classed as admin but i also had to go on the shop floor on tills, fix broken tills and work in the canteen.

Overall it was a good experience and i enjoyed my short time at Marks & Sparks!
Pros
Good discounts, friendly atmosphere
Stay away from the place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lisburn, County Down9 October 2018
Too many boss's no considerate for your family if your on the sick you get calls each day to ask when u coming back then they call u in asking why were you on the sick and you have to phone them every day ... On sick days
You have to book your holidays over a year advanced and even at that you mighty even get them .....
Very depressing place
Pros
20% off if you shop there...
Cons
Can't get holidays or days off and you to be flexible
one of the best stores
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  London9 October 2018
its lives up to its name. they treat staff well here and enjoyed my job and the people i worked with i loved meeting people and helping them with their shopping experience
Not bad
Christmas Temp- Foods Department (Former Employee) –  Hedge End9 October 2018
Management are usually idiots, but the other employees are great. The customers can also be annoying but this comes with retail jobs, the pay is AMAZING so forget all I said.
Nice colleagues to work with
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kent8 October 2018
Colleagues are really great and fun to work with. Customers are great too.

I learnt the retail business is hard work.
re-stocking shelves
Keeping store clean and tidy

Management should communicate better.
Pros
Discount card
Cons
Communication
productive and fun workplace
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  High Wycombe7 October 2018
working at marks and Spencers was a really good experience for me as I learnt a lot about how to deliver good customer service. all staff members are friendly and welcoming
Customers Assistant (Current Employee) –  London5 October 2018
Really enjoyed it, friendly staff and environment. however alot of pressure can be out on you. The way is really good and it is an overall good company to work for with a lot of benefits for the staff. They also take care of customers I must say.
Pros
discount
Cons
new changes
It wasn't very challenging so I decided to leave to do something which was harder however, more rewarding
operations worker (Former Employee) –  Dolphin Center Pool5 October 2018
I would go in see if the manager needed me to do anything at the start then from there go to the bottom floor and help any customers that needed any problems solving. When it came to the end of the day i would go and lock the store up and set all of the alarms. What i learned was to have a lot of responsibilities for example making sure that the doors were locked at the store was safe. I learned how to deal with customers and any problems that they had i would help them solve them. The hardest part of the job was when i had to work in the freezer as I cant stand the cold. However, the most enjoyable part of the job was working with customers and any problems they had i would help them solve them.
Would go back!
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklands Surrey4 October 2018
Loved working there, I love working with people and food and I just found it rewards. Didn't dread going to work and i think that says a lot, especially for a super market, good progression if you want it
Pros
20 discout
Cons
unsociable hours
Struggling to be people focused during change
SM (Former Employee) –  store4 October 2018
As the company struggles to reinvent itself, the pressure on the people is growing.
The Stores are shabby customer facing, and dropping to bits backstage.
Teams are expected to pull together amazing displays on 20yr old fixtures

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marks and Spencer. Our community is ready to answer.

51.9K