Marks and Spencer Employee Reviews

Fun And Busy Workplace.
Part Time Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newtownabbey22 May 2018
I really enjoyed my time at M&S. It was short lived as it was only temporary. Would definitely work for them again. Great learning experience for me..’
Pros
20% discount in stores for any products.
Cons
Temporary Contract.
In and outs
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  manchester spinning fields22 May 2018
In my current store, I find it is a great place to work for students as we are quite flexible but you can only either do late nights or early mornings.
n/a
Customer Assistant. (FOODHALL) (Current Employee) –  Kensington, Greater London22 May 2018
Daily interesting experiences, interacting with customers and solving problems whilst completing tasks with a very special team. providing the ideal customer service.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
internship
Design Assistant (Former Employee) –  UK22 May 2018
Marks and Spencer is a thriving office to be in. My time here would be assisting the whole of the Peruna team.
i valved my time there and made many life long friends
Fun but shortlived
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Trafford Centre, Greater Manchester21 May 2018
only a part time temporary job but had a good time nonetheless the staff were all polite, and the company had good management in charge never any issues.
Pros
The management
Cons
Was only Part Time
Fun and Great place of work
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glossop21 May 2018
I had an amazing time at Marks and Spencer, it is not a huge store so this allowed for the staff to become very close and we were a great team. The management were all friendly and helpful, they also pushed me towards being able to take my job further and even enter management.
A challenging place to work
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Solihull, West Midlands21 May 2018
No two days are the same, even though you look after a department your also involved in other parts of the business, such as People, Costs, Trading, Service. You do learn a lot about how the company is run and what it needs to do to survive. The hardest part of the job is keeping everything going even if there is 8 or 9 things going on at once. The most enjoyable part of it all is making customer and your colleges happy.
Pros
Staff Discount
Cons
Long Hours
Good environment
Barista and Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Congleton19 May 2018
Fast paced cafe environment, throughout the day you do a bit of everything including working the till taking orders and processing payments, preparing hot food, barista work on coffees or pot washing. The pay was good but the hours worked compared the the time on break was low and tiring.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
long hours short breaks
basic workplace
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Oxfordshire18 May 2018
M&s is an alright place to work they are rarely flexible and some managers are too judgemental but it is not an uncomfortable place to work. not a huge diversity in staff.
great job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Perth17 May 2018
much like anyother retail job, can get boring however the pay is really good at £8.50 per hour and you also get a good staff discount at 20%, you also get discount card for a friend or family
Fun and educational job
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cranleigh17 May 2018
My time at Marks and Spencer's was my first real taste of full time work and has massively helped me socially and in work experience. Shifts were always entertaining working with a strong and hard working team. Management was friendly and helpful throughout. Returned to work several times following travelling and experienced several different roles within the store.
Great money but being on tills for 8 hours straight kills you
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow16 May 2018
The benefits and salary were really good but there was a sort of heirarchy with the people who worked different departments. If you werent pushing the credit card Marks has on customers then you were useless to them and lowkey got told off.
Pros
Moneyyyy
Cons
Youll want to die
Productive and learnt new skills.
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Castle Donington, Leicestershire16 May 2018
A typical shift at work was very busy and productive which I enjoyed as I like being busy. Whilst working for Marks and Spencer's I learned how to effectively manage my time as I had to work within a time limit. As this was my first job I learned numerous skills in which I can now use effectively in my career. I also learned to take on board instructions and learning to work alongside other colleagues.

The workplace culture was diverse as I worked with a range of people from different backgrounds which Marks and Spencers pride themselves on with great customer service being their key message.

The hardest part of the job was maintaining momentum during quieter periods of the working day. The most enjoyable part of this job learning new skills and meeting new people. Also, giving me aspirations for my career going forward.
Pros
good internal benefits e.g. canteen was subsidised
Cons
Long days
worst place
Warehouse Team Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Castle Donington, Leicestershire15 May 2018
Worst place where to work,
almost every manager trying to stab other people in back only for they own benefits, dont see any options to progress only if you are mates with manager.
Good Place to Work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester14 May 2018
Great place to gain basic retail experience!
• Controlling and replenishing stock on the shop floor
• Assisting customers with any queries regarding products efficiently
• An understanding of visual merchandising within the store
• A greater knowledge of the company and the products selected by buyers
Heart-warming culture and atmosphere
Picker and Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Warrington14 May 2018
good company to work for training excellent and passion for customer service is a large organisation, it is a very busy place to work, there are lots of ups and downs with this type of work
Good workplace
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire14 May 2018
Very good workplace, well paid for the job and respected member of the team. Customer service desk provided and range of different activities to be done, so was never stuck doing one job.
Enjoyable
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Harrogate, North Yorkshire14 May 2018
I enjoyed my work experience and gained a lot of knowledge, but unfortunately there were no permanent positions available. My typical day was working with some good colleagues who supported me during my shift, I learnt how to stock rotate and organise on-line orders.
Pros
Worked close by.
Cons
No permanent position
Great place
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Taunton, Somerset13 May 2018
Wonderful retail experience
Really enjoyable and the staff discount ian fabulous.
Fun work with great people. Meet lots of different people and learn many skills. I did a first ad course.
Room to progress.
Pros
Staff discount, great products
Cons
Long hours at weekends and evening
Professional
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Croydon, Greater London12 May 2018
Marks and Spencers has given me a great experience within the working culture. The most enjoyable part of it all is delivering great customer service.
Pros
Great pay, flexibility
Cons
Pay not dealt with adequetly.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marks and Spencer. Our community is ready to answer.

51.7K