Marks and Spencer Employee Reviews

Found 4,240 reviews matching the search See all 4,766 reviews
Every day is the same
Store Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Wales28 October 2018
Good job and not bad money, but you end up doing the work for everyone else. Travelling is a nightmare been waiting for a transfer for over a year. Pay is not as good as it used to be.
Pros
20% discount
Cons
hard work
Horrible place to work. Truly the Dark Side.
Warehouse operative (Former Employee) –  Castle Donington, Leicestershire25 October 2018
Early start, twelve hour days. On your feet all day. Don't trust higher management. Not the company that I was expecting. No respect for the staff. Rubbish. Higher management don't seem to be able to relate to lower levels of staff. Very unsatisfying to work for. Avoid this if possible.
Pros
only work seven out of fourteen days.
Cons
Long Hours, repeatative, boring, physically strenuos, poor training period, ridiculous absence and sickness policy, poor chance for advancement
Very productive and sociable
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester24 October 2018
Marks and Spencer is a very good company there like a work family I enjoyed working there I stock the shelves also replace price tags it's so fun I love speaking to the customer and making them feel good about the product they want to purchase it makes me smile.
Pros
Pay for lunch
unorganised
Operations Assistant (Current Employee) –  Witney, Oxfordshire24 October 2018
unfortunately the company has too many changes with managers and staff coming and going there's a lot of unorganised systems in place with how things are run and shifts are always changing at the last minute. also when you need a manager there's none to be found and they are always up in their office and not down on the shop floor helping. as an employee and for my colleges its frustrating and makes work not so enjoyable .
Pros
some colleges are friendly
Cons
inconsistent hours
Not a bad place to work, but not the best
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Skegness, Lincolnshire24 October 2018
The training you receive is extensive and gets you ready for the job and the vast majority of the people you encounter are lovely, however the experience is often sullied by one or two awful people.
In general though it is a good place to work and the benefits such as the 20% staff discount are brilliant.
Good, but not as good as it was 10 years ago
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stockport23 October 2018
Overall and initially a good place to work,benefits have become less over the years,Marks and Spencer gave me a good standard of living,but very disappointed in the system used when store closures were announced.
love you m&s
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Buxton, Derbyshire21 October 2018
Honestly loved working for this company, despite it being a part-time job. Definitely made me realise I did not want to work in retail but M&S as a company were endlessly good to me.
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blackpool20 October 2018
A very good place to work with friendly staff who are always looking after you to make sure everything is running smoothly...................................
Fun workplace, great staff
DISTRIBUTION CENTER OPERATIVE (Former Employee) –  Derbyshire19 October 2018
I worket at the distribution center for two years started out on picking and multiskilled through from inbound and despatch to manual handling and ended up on the inventory department, I worked permananet nights thoroughly enjoyed it.

Unfortunately it chaged to 12 hours shifts and that wasnt something I could do at time as Im single parent.
Pros
Good rate of pay
Cons
12 Hour shifts
fast paced
Customer Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire19 October 2018
learnt banking skills
a typical day at work, log in, serve customers, cash up the till, balance all 53 currencies, balance safe, Finnish any paper work, log out go home.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
not much team work
Terrible
Customer Assistant - Christmas Temp (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, Shropshire18 October 2018
Was picked on constantly by management, the supervisor had to step in and tell them to lay off me as I was a hard worker and doing everything expected of me and more. Was frustrating, they also kept changing my hours without consulting me (or even telling me) despite the fact that this was a temp position and I had another full time job which was totally disregarded.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Everything else
good place
Group Chef (Former Employee) –  London18 October 2018
good employers they really want you to enjoy a decent work life balance

lots of incentives for certain pay scales , loads of layers of management, very slow decisions
Pros
good dicount
Cons
layers of lazy managers
great workplace
Kew - Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  London18 October 2018
M&S was a great place to work whilst in education. Management in the workplace was really supportive during times of change and allowed me to be flexible. During my time at M&S I tried to get a transfer but was un able to and this is the hardest part of the job as the whole process was unclear.
Work Experience Student (Former Employee) –  High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire16 October 2018
I worked there for work experience for a week. Everyday I would work of different departments within the store & worked with different people that I enjoyed a lot. I helped customers with fitting and finding things.
Pros
Voucher for lunch
productive fun workplace
Christmas Temp (Former Employee) –  London16 October 2018
Honestly, working here wasn't the worst job in the world. Although around Christmas time the hours can be long and tiring but they are4 worth it with all the benefits you receive (wages). the management wasn't all that but that's not to be discussed as its not my place but management were easy to talk to.
Pros
20% discount, flexible working hours
Cons
can have long hours
Not the greatest
Beauty Customer Assistant/Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London16 October 2018
Marks used to be a great company to work for. Unfortunately lately this has changed due to incredible requirements from the company, like giving them regularly your free-time to maybe suit their needs, but never yours. As well, managers do not treat staff with respect most of the times.
Awful Management and Miserable Atmosphere
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Warwick15 October 2018
Although my hours were contracted to be the same each week and I had signed a contract based around these hours, managers would change these on the system at the last minute without warning and I would get in trouble for getting my shift wrong! They had no respect for their staff and clearly had no understanding that staff had a life outside of work. They also did not understand that University came first as a lot of the staff were students although they new this from interview stage. One manager asked me what my outside of work commitments were and when I stated uni she said 'oh is that all?'. I was not happy in this job and what made it worse was that it was a very middle/upper class store, with customers treating you as though you are inferior to them. I was constantly on a temporary contract which meant they had to power to terminate your employment with barely any notice and you would have no idea if you had a secure job month to month. Pay is also meant to increase once you've finished training but for the majority of staff, this didn't happen.
Pros
Staff discount, decent breaks, above minimum wage
Cons
Incompetent management, temporary contracts, early starts
Ok place to work
CUSTOMER SERVICE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Bracknell14 October 2018
Not a bad place to work. Customers are definitely the worst aspect of the job, as they are often. Has strict return policies that assistants cannot overide and this is what customers tend to attack over.
Be warned the advertised wages are wrong
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  UK14 October 2018
I work as a temporary sales assistant at M&S, I'm on my second stint, the first was at Christmas. I am surprised to see the wages advertised at £8.75 as new starters are only paid £8 an hour and when you start each temp job you are paid as a trainee new starter despite being so experienced from the previous stint and requiring no training, except now I'm trained as a bra fitter, but, still paid the trainees rate, so I'm trained for more things than many permanent staff. It's a shame they do this as the job is great, the perks brilliant and they do take care of their staff.

Update: I have been trying to get 'signed off' as a trainee at my store as I have now worked a total of 20+weeks since December 2017. It is proving extremely difficult as no one in my store seems to know the protocol, it is demoralising to work as hard as my colleagues for so much less and no one seems to care. I would advise anyone applying for a position in M&S to get full clarification as to how and when they go onto to proper wages before they start.
Pros
Staff discount, take care of staff
Cons
Unbalanced wage system
Customer Assistant Store Operative (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh13 October 2018
People are treat diffrently. There's some culture pratising there and people are not treated equally and when you complain and query the ideal to turn to you, and start picking on you and most times say you're always murmuring, or been called too known.
Pros
20% staff dicount card
Cons
changing your work hours with notice, advertise £8.75 per hour and pay you £8 per hour when yo started.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marks and Spencer. Our community is ready to answer.

51.9K