Marks and Spencer Employee Reviews

Great job
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow2 June 2018
I enjoyed this job as everyday was productive, there was always something to keep busy with and enjoyed working alongside the public, gained many great customer service skills
Friendly
Part-time Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklands2 June 2018
Hard work and can be boring but the staff made it much more enjoyable. Commitment to customer service will make your life far easier as the customers will appreciate you as well as the management.
Job Security not guaranteed
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gateshead, Tyne and Wear2 June 2018
enjoyable atmosphere to work in, flexible hours are offered however with current affairs the security of a job at M&S is not guaranteed. CEO continuously informs workers and staff that change are going to be made yet no noticeable changes have been made within my 2 years of employment.
Good temporarily
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Swindon1 June 2018
Good as a temporary job. But unless you plan on extreme progression up to some sort of manager status, there is a lot of disrespect and lack of appreciation within the business.
Pros
Staff discount on M&S branded products
Cons
Poor management, frequent disrespect
Organised workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds1 June 2018
Both the shop and the supermarket were always kept nice and organised making it very accessible to everyone. Everyone within the management were all very nice and happily helped me settle in the new environment.
productive and fun workplace
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hatfield1 June 2018
Working in the clearance section, making sure it was clean and tidy and well stocked up. Also dealing with deliveries and making sure the new items were stocked straight away.
Customer services, Customer assistant (Former Employee) –  Horsham, West Sussex1 June 2018
excellent place to work. Good Management team. easy to get along with everyone. good working Ethos. good quality of products sold in the store, the most enjoyable part of the job was spending time with Customer trying to fill their demands and making them happy with the options giving. and

20% discount on M&S products
Yes some days not over days
Warehouse/Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charlton1 June 2018
A good company to work for, but the store I work for the management is poor they show no respect to you and are trying to screw me over by moving my shifts. I do want to stay with the company but am looking at moving to a new store, the store I work for has been ran into the ground and I need to get out asap
Pros
work force are nice good people, kind would work with them all day.
Cons
Management are a joke as I say have ruined the store why i want to leave.
i miss it
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Camberley31 May 2018
it was a wonderful job and i wish i had committed more to the role. the customers are wonderful and the staff were always friendly and welcoming. i would love to go back.
Staff are very clicky managers are disgusting
Customer assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff30 May 2018
Marks and Spencer has perks with the 20% and also then if you have offers on a sparks card but the work is never good enough for a manager’ and also some staff are very clicky and also the permanents are happy enough to play up if the temps get a better shift than them and then managers will change your shifts without asking also temps and permanents get different pay THEY ARE NOT EQUAL LIKE THEY MIGHT WANT YOU TO THINK .They have no compassion if you might have an emergency or personal problems and if they see your having a good day and completed your work they are happy enough to make you re-do it or re-do someone else’s job which they have not done tidy! Not a good job for someone with a family as they do not care if you have children or committments in your life. You must revolve around them!
Pros
Discount
Cons
Managers . Most staff
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Llandudno30 May 2018
I learned how to use the tills in work. I enjoyed working as a team with members of staff and helping the members of the public find what they wanted.
Working for the company was good.
My review
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Castle Donington, Leicestershire30 May 2018
A normal day is go to work pack the orders go home. I have learned a lot over the 4-5 years of being there & over that time the management has got worse in some areas. You hardly see them during the day so if you have a problem takes ages to get a solution or just to make enquires.
The job isn't that hard just very tedious & being in one place for long periods of time on your feet can be very draining. Also gets very warm within the building even though they have air conditioning apparently which is very poor compared to other buildings.
I do enjoy most of the people I work with & that's got to be the most enjoyable part of my job but most of the time I feel like a robot on a fixed programme to be honest.

I wouldn't recommend working there to anybody. If your a student or live at home then not a bad p[lace to work but if you have a family then its not family friendly on hours.
Pros
Benefits, Rate of pay
Cons
Long Hours, poor management
Productive and busy workplace
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire29 May 2018
M&S consisted of very friendly staff who where keen to introduce me to aspects of the store so I learnt a wide variety of skills, whilst demonstrating the variety of job opportunities and products. The management was well organised and created a calm and collective workplace culture. The hardest part of the job was the long hours and the business of the work place, although there was always enough staff to keep to this demand. The most enjoyable part of the job was the experience it provided for me as I learnt a variety of new skills within the retail sector.
Pros
skills
Busy but fun workplace
Customer Assistant (full time) (Former Employee) –  Stirling29 May 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed my job in the Marks and Spencer Café. The team are brilliant, welcoming and accepting of everyone. The management team was mostly fantastic but there were a few struggles from some colleagues. The hardest part of the job was dealing some very difficult customers, they often had very high expectations which were hard to meet. There was a lot of fun to be had, however, with making coffee and just generally having a laugh with colleagues and customers.
Pros
Employee benefits, i.e. 20% discount
Cons
Fast-paced, at times stressful
Staff not at the heart of what they do
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Castle Donington, Leicestershire28 May 2018
April 2017.

Hello M&S colleagues, we currently work 8 hour shifts, but next month, we’re moving to 12 hour shifts!

What’s that? You get the bus to work? Your days are going to be 14 hours long and you are going to be extremely tired? You fit your 8-hour day around your children’s educational needs? Find another job!

By the way, because of this change, we won’t be able to attract many agency staff, therefore over Christmas you’ll all have to work 48 hour weeks, all at single pay!

Work levels at Christmas low. Can we have a half day? No. We're going to send the agency staff we do have, who really need the money, home instead! What’s that? It’s 2 in the morning and they have no means to get home? That’s their problem!

By the way, tomorrow there is a change of shift, instead of working 6-6 we're all on 11-11. What's that? You've got family? Childcare? You're studying? Medical appointments? Going out? Social life? You're moaning we've given you less than 24 hours notice? Do the shift! Otherwise you'll trigger an absence and lose your right to a pay increase and bonus!

Oh yeah, by the way, because all of our knackered staff are now taking lots of time of work to recover, we’re really tightening up our absence policy! Who cares about you!
Pros
Fair salary for the job it is
Cons
Change from 8 hour shifts to 12 hour shifts
A Productive Learning curve.
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burnley, Lancashire27 May 2018
Marks & Spencer was a big learning curve for me as it was my first job. I acquired this job through the Prince's Trust Team Programme. I really enjoyed my time here as a Customer Assistant, the Burnley store is really a really nice environment to be in and the staff are super friendly and are a big help in the workplace.
Pros
Staff Discount, reasonable work hours, can help yourself to food in the staff lounge.
Cons
Short break times
Temp Contract (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire25 May 2018
I worked customer service deskanbd also tills. However no managment worked on a Sunday so i has to look after the floor that day with no extra bonus.

Helped customers with ordering
Till work
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Not enough hours
Sales and Stock Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harrogate24 May 2018
It was a great place to work but the frequent of change management was too often.

I was working for M&S food and you get a really smart uniform which was great however its a bit chilly.
Pros
20% Off food and everything plus sales items
Cons
Change of management :(
Incredible Company to Work For
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wiltshire24 May 2018
I've never had such a welcoming working experience than I have had at M&S. Alongside learning some core skills and information about the retail industry working at M&S really is like being part of a huge family.
Pros
Benefits of the Company
Great collegues to work with
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Walsall, West Midlands24 May 2018
Enjoy working there but unsure of shop dtaying open but enjoy serving customets and being helpful slsao im commited to doing anything for charity my main focus is always the customer and ehat i can do for them
Pros
Great collegues
Cons
What happens if it closes

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marks and Spencer. Our community is ready to answer.

51.7K