Marks and Spencer Employee Reviews

Found 4,125 reviews matching the search See all 4,628 reviews
Excellent company to work for.
Café Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lisburn, County Down30 August 2018
Thoroughly enjoyed my time at Marks and Spencer and would recommend it to anyone seeking their first job. Great management, excellent staff and incredible reward schemes and incentives.
Can be unles under pressure from mangers
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol30 August 2018
If you start as temporary it will mean that you are not guaranteed a job and they can tell you so last minute like the same day which I think is not very advanced for people in need of a job with good money.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Short breaks
productive and enjoyable
Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bluewater, Kent30 August 2018
I learned from and meet plenty of people in m&s what helped me progress through the company what really helped me become closer to the staff what inturn helped me feel more relaxed and confident in the workplace
Pros
cheap lunches
Cons
lunches too short
productive, strenuous at times
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Braehead30 August 2018
working with this company is a great opportunity for expanding your knowledge in retail and dealing with customers in a sufficient manner. They allow you to grow in bigger roles if you provide or show your abilities well.
A good company to work for
Switchboard Operator/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Marble Arch and Colliers Wood29 August 2018
I worked for the company for 43 years. learnt a lot dealing with management and chatting with various customers keeping them up to date with products.
Pros
Subsidised
Cons
I was on a par time basis
Warm and enthusiastic workplace
Seasonal Temp (Former Employee) –  Cardiff29 August 2018
Despite the job being only temporary, it taught me so much regarding customer service, working on the weekends required a quick response, especially considering customers were purchasing items for Christmas, it was hectic, but a good learning experience.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Long weekend hours
Coffee Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside29 August 2018
Flexible, helpful and willing to train in areas you may lack in. Great environment to work in we were like a big family so I was sad to leave. Great interacting with different types of customers and people from different backgrounds.
Great company to work for
customer service assistant (Former Employee) –  Lisburn28 August 2018
They were a great company to work for as they looked after all their staff and worked around you as a parent.
They would always give promotions to staff and they would involve you in charity events.
Busy and fun workplace
Customer Assistant - Barista (Current Employee) –  Oxford, Oxfordshire28 August 2018
Marks and Spencer cafe offers a busy workplace which teaches you various skills such as handling money, coffee making, and food preparation.

An average day will include setting up the cafe for the day ahead, such as stocking the shelves, baking pastries, setting up all of the machines. Later on in the day will focus mainly on serving the customers and ensuring their experience is as positive as possible. The latter part of the day will focus more on shutting the cafe down for when the store closes which mainly revolves around cleaning and shutting down the machines ready for the next day.

The hardest part of the job is keeping the place running whilst it is busy, especially if there is a shortage on staff.

The most enjoyable part is meeting new people and learning new skills.
Sales Assistant (Full-time) (Former Employee) –  London28 August 2018
Great place to work wish i never left, ensure training is done not copied, fun work place. Always active great managers, i feel this company showed me how to work in compliance with company rules/process
Pros
Great staff
great job, great people
Sales Assistant, Accuracy (Current Employee) –  Crewe27 August 2018
Great place to work, staff are all lovely friendly people and make it such an enjoyable place to work. No two days are the same, so you cant be bored easily and you get free fruit, toast, tea and coffee, which is a bonus.
Pros
the people, fruit, toast, tea, coffee.
One day is never the same as the last
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Wales27 August 2018
Dedicated teams
Amazing training
The opportunity to learn foods as well as Food
Always being able to influence the teams and trading of the store through strong leadership
not great
rather not say (Former Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire27 August 2018
most definatly would not work for this company again ...their exsists quite a bullyish culture not what you'd expect from a high profile retailer.... really dont look after their staff, pay is of the low hourly rate truly dont have a good thing to say about M&S.....SORRY
always kept busy
Customer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Livingston27 August 2018
early start to get products ready for customers. Taken on as temporary Christmas staff and had such fun as we were all taken on at the same time. Management a bit up themselves though. The permanent staff were very much against temporary staff and didn't go out of their way to help them.
Nice place
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester26 August 2018
Always busy. Learned how to take card transactions. Management ok.workplace good. Fitting rooms hardest part of job stood on your feet constantly. People who you meet daily is nice
Pros
Discount card
changing fast
Role - Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Leicester26 August 2018
use to be fun vibrant place to work but it is now changing fast and losing the M&S appeal that has been so high for so many years, people are still very nice and the one positive still going for the company but all retailers are struggling in this new modern world
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hastings, East Sussex26 August 2018
Nice place to work. treated employees well, pay was ok, hours were a bit all over the place.

Potential to progress within the business. Enjoyed working with like minded employees.
Great fun workplace
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen24 August 2018
I really enjoyed working here as part of a work experience course. Great people, very friendly staff who helped me along the way. I now have experience with till work and working with the public.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
It was work experience only
Customer Advisor (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester24 August 2018
Working for Marks and Spencer has given me a new confidence that I didn't know I had. The people who work here are not just my colleagues they are also my friends.
Pros
great rate of pay
Cons
not enough contracted hours
quit enjoyable
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff24 August 2018
it is a full on establishment where you are essentially doing multiples things at once. clearing tables filling in stock when its running low. makind food.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marks and Spencer. Our community is ready to answer.

51.8K