Marks and Spencer Employee Reviews

Found 4,249 reviews matching the search See all 4,777 reviews
Proud to say I work for M&S
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London17 July 2018
Having worked for M&S since I first started in employment it has suppported me through my A Levels and Degree. I had never imagined that a career in retail management would be the one for me but my natual ability to lead a team was quickly identified and I progressed throughout the company over the next 10 years. I enjoy the fact that I never clock watch, there aren't enough hours in the day and historically I liked that challenge. However, now with the retail industry becoming tougher and tougher, particularly in stores I have started to lose the buzz I one had for retail and for M&S.
Lovely Staff, But not great Management
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  St Albans9 August 2018
Great place to work, to meet new people and make friends, however management were not great.

Great benefits, 20 percent staff discount.

Holidays and days off, for temp workers is bad.
Pros
Good discount, supportive employees
Cons
Long Hours, Breached contract for notice period ending
fun workplace
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bexhill24 September 2018
good place to work part time, fun, lovely people, benefits are good. learned a lot about retail, not much career progression. get to meet some really nice people.
Pros
lovely staff
Cons
sometimes poor management
market leading retailers
Commercial Manager (Former Employee) –  Derby28 September 2018
Household name retailer who provide great work-life balance and a competitive package including good salary, holiday allowance, staff discount and many more perks.
fanastic career devlopment and oppurtunies
Store visual manager (Current Employee) –  Exeter, Devon15 August 2018
Working for Marks and Spencers for the past 16 years has given me experience working for a major retailer on the high street, my experience has included working in a high street large store, then after 9 years moved to Exeter store and lead a team through major changes after a fire. Launching a brand-new Concept to the business - Concept 11. I lead a highly motivated team of 8 managers through this challenging time with little impact on trade and customer. Both of these stores I worked closely with Head Office to deliver the CAD plans and layout of the store using my visual skills to launch to BU guidelines and get the best out of product handling, mannequin placement and sight lines. I then moved to Cribbs Causeway a premier store top 10 store in M&S which has enabled me to deliver the launch of Conran concept on Homewear and work with highly competitive team.
More recently I have been working as a store visual manager back in Exeter working alongside the store manager and accountability of the whole visual look of the store including customer journey and customer experience.
Pros
career development and varitey
it isnt what it used to be
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Bury28 February 2018
a typical day would be hard working normally
designing presentation of products was always fun
learned customer service skills, retail environment is a nice place to work when it has a good balance
workplace culture was quite good, everyone shared everything most of the time.
hardest part of job was when the managers would push you to work excessive long hours, early starts like 5.30am, working through the night
but in general a nice place to work in and be part of.
management ok, but so many bands of them, so not so good, bossy and can be upsetting to staff.

Uniform provided which is usually nice and fits ok
Job security : normally everyone begins on a temporary contract, which is renewed over and over which is not great.
This may have changed now?
Pros
nice enviornment, no two days are the same, 20% discount off everything for staff
Cons
long hours, /unsociable and there can be disrespectful management
A fast pace, targets driven environment with loyal staff
Commercial Manager (Current Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire5 July 2018
People Leadership is the core of your day to day job and you strive to support your team to deliver the KPIs and sell to the customer.

A typical day will involve holding team huddles to set up the day, reviewing sales and service information. Based on this we will set targets, discuss actions and walk the sales floor to understand what the customer is seeing. We may make stock moves, change selling tactics, seek to upskill the team as part of the actions.

The most enjoyable part of the job is celebrating success when the team has delivered its targets and for me personally coaching and developing people to realise new skills and get excited about what they've learnt.

The hardest part would be the limitations placed on the store to trade by Policy, Head Office and Stock. The over complication of KPI measurement and bureaucratic communications on a daily basis can hinder the core of the day job.
Pros
Staff Discount. Generally can leave 'the job' at work. Staff Teams
Cons
Long Hours. Weekend Work. Weak Salary compared to role expectations
Sociable and productive workplace
Shop assistant (Former Employee) –  London18 June 2018
A typical day included shelf stacking, stock take and cashiering duties.

Good management of the store: I was always allocated tasks within a reasonable time frame, was regularly informed when targets were hit and was praised for good work.

Friendly and sociable workplace where I felt valued and respected.
Pros
Good staff discount
Cons
Inflexible hours
Fun workplace
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bath4 October 2018
I enjoyed the people and thought the job was interesting; however some of the management were not always forthcoming with information and things often were inconsistent. There wasn't a lot of chances for advancement, but that suited me as I was only a part time employee due to being a student at the time
Pros
good discount, nice people
Cons
early starts, inconsistent management decisions
Robotic and disorganised
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tonbridge, Kent11 November 2018
A typical day would consist of working stock and occasionally going on the till.

Having previously worked at various Marks and Spencer's it was sad to see how the company is being run in an "everyman for themselves" style where employees are not inviting for new starters.

Management and various employees made their envy towards me being a smart and ambitious university student very clear. An example of this is this is the car I drove to work ( a Lotus Esprit), which they felt "shouldn't be in the employee carpark".

Looking back I can honestly laugh at this experience and in a way I do feel sorry for these guys stuck in a loop, it really makes me appreciate what I have. Of course this is just one example of a store so I cant speak for all of them.
Pros
Being payed, Staff parking, one or two employees help you make it through the day
Cons
Jelous Managment, disorganised, school yard mentality
Good colleagues and team spirit, but hours and management were poor
In store operations assistant (Former Employee) –  Telford, Shropshire13 July 2018
During my time at Marks and Spencer, I enjoyed working with a welcoming and supportive team, however the inflexible attitude to weekend work and compulsory overtime made maintaining a reasonable work life balance difficult. Management was generally poor, for example my exit interview when I left was not done properly.
Cons
Having to work both days of every weekend and having no choice on overtime.
Good company but poor salaries and opportunities
Operational Team Manager (Current Employee) –  Castle Donington23 September 2018
M&S are a good company to work for. You are treated well and respected for doing a good job and people there are professional team players. The facilities and perks are also very good.
The negatives are somewhat frustrating for anyone that wants to progress or develop into a promotion or a different department. Opportunities are few and far between with a lot of competion for the very few positions that become available.
Great place to start out as a manager and learn the necessary skills but not a place to stay and progress.
Pros
Shift patterns, great facilities and people
Cons
Lack of promotion/progression opportunities
Shambles
Operations Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cheshire13 October 2018
I’m a current Operations employee with M&S and having worked there for over 2 years I can safely say that the business has deteriorated massively. Managers couldn’t care less about you being sick, I know of members who have had written warnings due to sickness (even though they had a viable sick note.) Holiday booking needs improving as you have to plan a year or more in advance and may not be guaranteed the time off. The day to day processes are ridiculous and the work load is far too much. Poor management often results in understaffing and having 1 person off sick can cause serious issues. There just semems to be no co-ordination and no direction, I often feel like I could run the place better and I’m not a “qualified manager.” Would avoid this company as it will only get worse.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Poor management, High work Loads
Good store management
Deputy Store Manager & Section Manager Foods (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London19 August 2018
Good store management but business not good at listening to employees.
Good level of progression from advisor level but as soon as your a manager its difficult to move upwards.
Always announcing something new in processes or management structures which is often demotivating.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
Management really don’t care about you
Customer Assistant - Part Time (Former Employee) –  Altrincham, Greater Manchester12 December 2018
Not a good experience working there for me, management are hard to get hold of if there’s any problems and aren’t helpful when you manage to track them down. Some staff are treated differently depending on how long you’ve worked there, put you down for hours you haven’t agreed to work and you get in to trouble when you say you can’t come in for said hours. Get made to feel really guilty if you can’t work extra hours or are poorly. Doing food reductions is dangerous and gets out of hand, customers snatch push and scratch to get reduced food and company do nothing to help staff safety.
Pros
Pay is decent, when paid correctly.
Cons
Management, rude customers, repetitive, company don’t care about staff
Great Company to work for
Cashier/Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London15 July 2018
M&S offers great support to its employees. However,the only problem that it has, is the poor management. I wish they understood that micromanagement does not motivate staff. Managers can sometimes make employees feel like they are worthless. Which in my opinion, subsquently has an impact on how employess engage with M&S customers.
Pros
Employee discount card
Cons
Poor Management and lack of career progression opportunities
Fun work place friendly staff
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Lewisham, Greater London1 November 2018
Great work place helps you progress in the work place once you work hard.There are great benefits to have once you sign up and great Christmas party and lovely people to work with.
Pros
Staff room
Cons
Christmas hours
productive and fun
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Belfast22 September 2018
i loved the culture of the marks and spencer workplace as i felt part of a community. a typical day as a marks and spencer employee was both challenging and rewarding. the management team were good even though there were some communication issues with them.
Pros
cheap lunches
Cons
unpaid breaks
Customer Service Advisor
Customer Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Bolton, Middlebrook21 November 2018
Worst job interview I ever had!!! Felt discrimination since met the store management... Never felt so much humiliated. Had a role play part of the interview, have been told to prepare from ~10 sheets information in 10mins and later have been blamed that I couldn't remembers small details from it! Told them that the things they have been asking me to learn in 10mins usualy being learnt in 1 or 2 weeks training... Oh well will never try again to work in this company as they obviously don't need people who are brilliant in customer service and has very good references.
Pros
Cons
Worst job interview ever!!! Staff in administration very rude and rasist!
a good experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  360 Mall, Zahra10 November 2018
the Job culture was a different experience with M&S, my job at work was to merchandise the clothing line and look after the changing room, my colleagues at work were very helpful. a good place to work.
Pros
helpful staff, good management.
Cons
standing job at work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marks and Spencer. Our community is ready to answer.

51.9K