Marks and Spencer Employee Reviews

productive
sales associate full time (Former Employee) –  London11 June 2018
At this position, I held a customer service position as well as a till assistant. I was also responsible for maintaining the existing financial systems. My responsibilities therefore included: handling cash, processing daily till count and organising banking via G4S collection while ensuring great customer service.
Pros
good discount
Management needs improving.
Assisting customers (Former Employee) –  Clapham Junction, Greater London11 June 2018
Great money, it becomes hard to juggle everyday life when so much of your time is spent working.
Not the nicest environment to be working in, always doing something wrong, you can never do right
Pros
Lunch break
Friendly environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London11 June 2018
Working n M&S has helped me gain a lot of insight of how a supermarket works and most importantly how to interact with customers. Dealing with customers has to be the most enticing aspect of the job as you meet various types of customers, which is mostly fun
Furniture Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Colliers Wood, Greater London11 June 2018
Enjoyed working with the public, being able to help.
I've work in the Public Sector in the early 80's at St Mary's Hospital in Paddington in Medical Records and St Thomas Hospital in Westminster in the X-ray department.
Also work in the Private Sector Bupa Medical Centre in King's Cross making appointments.
very nice and productive most of the time
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newbury10 June 2018
you always had jobs to do it was very fun and productive the hours were nice and the way was very good I recommend this job also paid weekly so had money every week
Pros
discount
Friendly and welcoming workplace
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Taunton, Somerset9 June 2018
Overall I thoroughly enjoyed my time working at Marks and Spencer - my colleagues were very friendly and helpful and I fitted in as soon as I started. The work ethic is excellent
friendly work place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire9 June 2018
It was well organised as there was a rota made for everyone on a daily basis. Existing employees were friendly and managers were welcoming.

A typical day at work would consist of assisting in fitting rooms, putting stock out on the floor, welcoming customers and serving on tills.
Pros
20% staff discount
Cons
More staff needed during sale period
fun
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire9 June 2018
fun great enjoyableMy determination to always succeed and supress any expectation is what makes me a great asset to the workplace. I challenge myself and always strive for the best. I have no problem taking on roles that are foreign to me if it is aiding the team or situation. I have great teamwork and communication skills that I have developed through my diverse experience opportunities. I believe I am joyful and enthusiastic person and I think this allows my working experience to be a positive one. Attendance and punctuality is something I have always exceeded in and plan to take this with me any role I take on. Overall there are many factors that would make me suitable for this position and I would love to be a part of your team.
Pros
great
Cons
great
allright
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hazel Grove, Greater Manchester9 June 2018
The pay was good and was not strenuous but the management was unnecessarily bossy. it is important for management to have a lead roll in the workplace but the managers thought they where much better at anything they did even when they clearly where lacking in some skills.
Pros
good pay
Cons
short breaks
I was a good experience
customer sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Beckenham, Greater London8 June 2018
At Marks and Spencer's I learned how to work within a team efficiently. I realised that working within a team will make life easier and it will make tasks be completed a lot more efficiently. Working for M&S made me more aware of handling difficult customers and how to help people that are struggling.
Pros
friendly atmosphere and everyone is nice
Time to move on.
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Paddington, Greater London8 June 2018
Not great for development. That said, it is a good place to work. The discount is a nice bonus. The people are generally nice. Management wants to do the right thing, I just think they take too long to make decisions.
Pros
People do want it to get better
Cons
Too long to make a decision
mens wear assistant
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norwich City Centre, Norfolk8 June 2018
I worked in mens ware for marks and spencers for the princes trust get into retail. it was very fun. I loved helping all the customers. I welcomed them with a happy smile. Im proud to say that i worked in M&S mens wear
Pros
Confidents
Cons
Long days
The worst place ever!
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Castle Donington, Leicestershire7 June 2018
Friends and family - that's what counts when it comes to hiring people. No skills, experience or education needed if you only have connections. Hard work and dedication never to be recognised or rewarded. Nepotism, personal ambitions and no team players within all levels of management ruin the meaning of "customer comes first" policy. Be aware!
Practical and Professional
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon7 June 2018
I worked here as Temporary Staff over the Christmas Period. Everyone is very Friendly. The most Enjoyable part of this job was interacting with customers, getting to know them while working at your own pace. It gets busy, so you will face challenges in the work place. The management is good. I worked on the ladieswear department which tasks ranged from being on the tills, putting out stock and working in the fitting rooms.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
N/a
great team and work place feels like a family
hospitality section manager (Current Employee) –  Woodley, Berkshire7 June 2018
There is never a dull-day within my job role at marks and Spencer, you are never sure what to expect which is great, i work a long some great people, every day can be different as we are allways unaware of the business of our store, many days we are forward planning events and checking for all offers that are about to come our way, Christmas is one of our biggest and can take several months to organize.

I love the fact that we have our regular customers that love coming in either fora chat and coffee or a bit of shopping i thrive on great customer service and pride myself in my job.
~
Pros
discount, perks
Cons
Good
Shop assistant and cashier (Former Employee) –  Exeter6 June 2018
Good money, i liked working the morning shift as i had productive days as i had to be up at 5. Would recommend. Staff room has free hot chocolate and toast with the occasional cake
very good
Team member (Former Employee) –  London6 June 2018
Stocking up the shelves
How to operate the shop floor
Everything is hard especially carrying heavy things but its good because it makes you strong.
Meeting new people and workers.
Pros
Discount
Cons
long hours and long standing.
If you ask you
Fire health and saftey officer (Former Employee) –  Streatham Hill4 June 2018
M&S is a great place to work, if you want to move up in the buisness, you simply ask a manager and they will point you in the right direction, though if they feel your not ready or not performing, they won’t hesitate to drop you. Essentially you keep up or you get left behind.
Pros
Staff discount, discounts on many places
Cons
Easily sacked
Great working environment
Team Member/Customer Service assistant (Current Employee) –  Liverpool3 June 2018
I find M&S very easy going, they were willing to give me a chance when no other company would and I am very grateful for that. It is a great working environment, the staff are friendly and very professional as expected.
Pros
Most Staff are friendly, very helpful and never a dull moment
Cons
angry/upset customers, sometimes a lack of leadership
Always busy but great wage
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Perth, Perth and Kinross3 June 2018
My shift is always busy.
You don't get time to stand around for even a few seconds. There's always restocking or tidying to do.
However, when you do a long shift (over 4 hours) you only get 20 minutes break (or 30 if you do over 6).
I've learned a lot and have been in different parts of the store.
The staff are friendly and always there to help.
Staff rota's are a bit chaotic at times and a lot of staff leaving at the same time only leaving a few to hold the fort.
Free food and drink provided in the staff lounge.
Pros
Wages great. Staff lounge includes free food and drink
Cons
Hours. Not much break time.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marks and Spencer. Our community is ready to answer.

51.7K