Marks and Spencer Employee Reviews

great
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London12 September 2018
great place to work with a simple straight forward role. it allows me to do the work i was set out to do. didnt always get the support that was required, and the line management was not of the highest caliber meaning there wasn't always the necessary support.
Pros
left to do work
Cons
repetitive
productive
Hospitality Staff (Former Employee) –  London11 September 2018
marks and spencer is a good job however its difficult for student in college as the job is not flexible. additionally they do pay well and r understandable for people with families.
Pros
beautiful pay
Cons
not flexible for students in college
Such a lovely company to work for
SALES FLOOR (Former Employee) –  Rayleigh, Essex10 September 2018
I stacked shelves and helped costumers, this is great for enhancing people skills. It was very well managed and i loved working there. The hardest thing was learning where all the products were and the changed everything around frequently.
Pros
long lunch hours and lovley people
Cons
a little bit repetitive
Sainsbury's
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Christchurch, Dorset10 September 2018
I loved working for Sainsbury's, and my typical day at work would be serving customers and helping with their purchases. I was trained to operated the tills, money handling etc, and most importantly...customer service.

The work place culture was very good, and I got on well with my colleagues, including management. I don't remember there being a hard part to the job.

The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that my customers went away safe in the knowledge that their shopping experience went smoothly and quickly.
Pros
Subsidised canteen
Cons
waiting at the bus stop in the middle of Boscombe after 8 at night.
Every day is different
Visual Stylist (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne10 September 2018
Working as a stylist, no two days are the same. Lucky to be part of a strong and close team within the store, which has a great impact on a positive work life.
Busy but friendly work place
Customer service shop floor assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands10 September 2018
The company was great. Friendly, like a big family. We always helped eachother out and ensured the customers got assistance needed at all times no matter how busy.
Pros
Fast paced environment, staff discount
Cons
A lot of flexible hours, not many breaks
Productive and fun workplace
Retail (Former Employee) –  Hockley9 September 2018
It was very rewarding and highly recommend to anyone very friendly staff and customers I enjoyed it and has giving me the confidence and experience to achieve high things
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Very bad place where you can work
Sale Assistant (Former Employee) –  London9 September 2018
The store look nice but behind you will see a lot of horrible things. The manager walk around and it will let you do everything. They use you like an animal, and they do a lot of favoritism.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Productive and organised
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Streatham8 September 2018
working at Mark's and Spencer was a very peaceful. Every morning you knew your role and what you had to do, everything is organized well before hand to avoid any casualties. what was enjoyable about this job the lack of tension or stress in the workplace making it really nice to work there.
Pros
Free lunch
Fun workplace
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Omagh8 September 2018
fun place of work with many friendly colleagues eager to work. Friendly and committed management team with the best intentions of the staff at heart. plenty of opportunities to advance and improve skills and abilities.
used to be fun but the company has changed
Assistant Manager Store Operations (Current Employee) –  London7 September 2018
when i first joined marks and spencer it was a decent company but now its just like any other supermarket which of course marks and spencer inspires to be more than that
Pros
discount
Cons
poor leadership
was a terrible place to work due to the attitude of the agency
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire6 September 2018
never recommend anyone to work there I was working through agency and they just treated me unfairly when work died down they used to send me home like halfway through shift and this used to happen on a regular basis
Great place
CUSTOMER ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Aberystwyth4 September 2018
Great environment, with nice co-workers and management. Job isn't really hard. Shifts are flexible. A bit cold on the food salesfloor. The salary is very nice, also paid holidays.
Good work life balance
ambient manger (Former Employee) –  Exeter, Devon4 September 2018
The company is changing a lot and for some people that have been with the company for a long time, it is changing for the worse. However, I have worked for a lot of different retailers and m and s is by far the best if you want a good work-life balance
fun and get to learn a lot
Bra fitting assistant and cashier (Former Employee) –  Hendon, Greater London3 September 2018
It was a nice company when i got the opportunity to learn a lot of new things. I had a chance to grow and love the workplace. the most thing i enjoy was meeting new people everyday and helping them as everyone needs was different.
Wonderful people, not the best company
Coffee Corporal/ Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Weymouth, Dorset3 September 2018
The people I work with are wonderful, it's more like a family than a workplace, the job itself can be stressful at times like any, but it can be quite repetitive as well. The company themselves are very robotic, staff are treated as numbers rather than humans and we are all made to feel like we can be easily replaced. My management team are very good as well, they always put the needs of their staff first which I feel lucky about.
Pros
Great colleagues, free coffee machine, good management team
Cons
Company aren't very In touch with staff
Good job if your face fits.
Customer advisor (Current Employee) –  Truro3 September 2018
early starts for no reason, poor management on all levels. you will be successful if your face fits, if not you are treated like dirt. Every manager has their favourites, so if you are one... good for you.
expected to be flexible even if you are full time, often not told about changes in hours.
horrible atmosphere, everyone is on edge or angry.
employee perks slowly withering away.

nothing is hard about this job apart from finding the will to stay there for a whole shift.
if you have a brain, this job is certainly not for you.
most enjoyable part of the job is that you meet some great people and breaks are a fair length.
and fairly paid for how simple the job is.
Pros
going home.
Cons
treated like dirt, mind numbingly boring
Good Employer
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cheshire Oaks, Cheshire2 September 2018
Very helpful colleagues and supervisors
Uniform provided and canteen available for staff.
I have worked here on 3 occasions, two of which were as temporary staff for hristmas and easter, whilst the other was work experience.
Sales Assistant/Temporary
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Temporary30 August 2018
Sales retail Assistant helping customer, Operating till, handling cash and credit card transactions, till, organising and arranging stock undertaking additional duties when required.
Excellent company to work for.
Café Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lisburn, County Down30 August 2018
Thoroughly enjoyed my time at Marks and Spencer and would recommend it to anyone seeking their first job. Great management, excellent staff and incredible reward schemes and incentives.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marks and Spencer. Our community is ready to answer.

51.8K