Marks and Spencer Pay & Benefits reviews

Found 904 reviews matching the search See all 4,840 reviews
terrible management and no understanding of illness
Customer service assistant (Former Employee) –  Grantham16 January 2019
horrible staff. bullying in the workplace never resolved. illness with a doctors note was not taken seriously and threatened to be fired multiple times. lunch breaks were extremely short for the hours worked and food was expensive, throw out way too much perfectly edible food and would not let us take it home even though it was going in the bin. would not take my idea of donating unwanted food to a food bank or the homeless, general cruelness from staff, overall awful place to work. the only pro was the fact everyone is paid the same 8 pound an hour
Pros
good pay
Cons
everything else
Fun, and enjoyable environemnt
Café Christmas Temp (Former Employee) –  Thurrock13 January 2019
A typical day is greeted by people on other floors, friendly faces wherever you go, and the hours you work are justified, you earn what you work for. Whichever department you work in, you'll have a great time working there. The hardest part is the long hours they might ask you to do, but you can always turn it down.
Pros
Staff Discount, subsidised cafeteria
Cons
hours
Great Team Spirit
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Central Milton Keynes12 January 2019
Marks and Spencer was a fun place to work for me. I was allowed to be myself and I worked hard. Unfortunately, the pay was not adequate for a single older woman who had bills to pay. Also, some people worked alot harder than others.There were targets to meet, with no real monetary incentive for those who excelled themselves.
Pros
Allowed to be yourself.
Cons
Low pay for hard work.
good but unpredictable
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire11 January 2019
its easy work and pays well however overtime is hardly available and whether or not you get kept on is very unpredictable. easy to make friends with the staff
Bad management
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Guildford9 January 2019
Management does not care about you, you are not allowed to communicate with coworkers, bad hours.
Not understandable about being off sick on doctors orders.
Pros
OK pay
Cons
Long hours, bad management
Enjoyable place to work with a friendly atmosphere.
Section Co-ordinator (Current Employee) –  Chalfont Saint Peter9 January 2019
- A typical day at work entails running the shop floor and making sure all the jobs are completed by M&S strict deadlines.
- I learned a lot regarding Sales, Customer service, Operational processes and in depth knowledge of the Company itself.
- Management fluctuates a lot. The majority of the stores have excellent managers with an amazing leadership morale. Over the years I have worked at M&S however there have been a couple managers who I believe let down the brand of M&S.
- The hardest part of the job would be having courageous conversations with other staff members regarding attitude or uniform etc.
- The most enjoyable part of the job would be the friends you make when working at your store, personally I have made friends for life and I have no regrets about working for M&S.
Pros
Benefits package & Staff Discount
Cons
Long hours and no additional pay
Good work environment
Operations (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire8 January 2019
Good pay and pension, good work life within the team you work in. Your rate of pay is very good but you are expected to work at a high level. Management can be poor and unorganised at times
Pros
Good pay and pension
Cons
Poor management at times
Fun work place
Cleaning (Former Employee) –  Ilkeston8 January 2019
Was a good place to work the people was a laugh to work with even though it was only a few hours a day was all right for my frist job everyone was so polite
Sales Assisting
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Doncaster and Lincoln7 January 2019
The salary was good for a sales assistant, and the people I worked with were lovely. When I worked in the outlet store it was very well managed and fast paced and fun, always doing things to raise money for charities and involving customers and staff members in everything.
However, when I transferred to a larger store it was quite poorly managed some times and the managers spoke down to you a lot of the time. They made days incredibly difficult to book off even when you had asked and submitted forms months in advance. They said they would handle two days for me which were imperative that I have as holiday, and days before I was due to take these holiday I had realised they had done nothing about it even though when I followed it up they had assured me I had those days off. All in all, despite a few personal reasons about a few of the managers there, it can be a friendly place to work and most staff members will help you whenever you need.
Pros
Salary
customer assistance
Customer Assistance (Former Employee) –  Nottingham3 January 2019
working at M&S was a pleasure as you always engaged with customers as well as the work place and team was alive. Working at M&S was a joy as you had fun, there was always something to do and time went quick.
Pros
free lunch/ staff discount
Cons
unpredictable

Want to know more about Marks and Spencer?

Ask a question
Fun
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  London30 December 2018
really nice people had a lot of fun working here the hours were really good and the pay was reasonable they didn’t give you a break when you had a four hour shift but it was still good
Long hours but alot of time off aswell
Maintenance Engineer (Current Employee) –  Castle Donington30 December 2018
Good time off inbetween shifts, lots of benefits if you care to keep an eye out for them. Shifts can seem quite long and be prepared to climb and work at heights.
Its ok
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cheshire15 December 2018
Its OK, it pays the bills the staff are really friendly and I have built some good friendships amongst them. typically the days will vary and you will be expected to do a verity of jobs.
Was not getting to do the job I was employed to do
Customer Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, UK10 December 2018
Had to leave as was not doing the job I was employed to do as we were short staffed and I had to go on the tills and help out in the café most days that I was on shift.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Was put on tiling every day I was on duty
Fun workplace
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Swindon, UK5 December 2018
Induction Day met and made some really good friends for life. The environment and people working in the cafe are so friendly and supportive. Really recommend applying.
Pros
Salary and Able to take on more hours
Cons
If closing, there is a lot of responsibility put on you.
Poorly run, no organisation
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Crawley, West Sussex29 November 2018
Members of normal staff very lovely and always happy to help. Management expect a lot from you in very little time, want you to be able to put yr life on hold at the drop of a hat and you are expected to work as and when they want. Training is appalling and health and safety is at the bottom of their priorities, payslips are only viewed online and you are strangely paid in advance! Not enough equipment to do the job but you are expected to just cope and still work to a strict deadline. Very over worked and under valued, theres no care or compassion for staff also no direct line to call into store so if theres an emergency etc and someone tries to call you they would go through a call centre first which in itself was a nightmare but you arent allowed to keep a mobile phone in case of emergencies. Had no signed contract and no one knew how long the induction period lasted which meant a lower grade of pay, you are provided with uniform but if if it dosnt last you for a year then you have to pay for more, all breaks are unpaid and what i wasnt told when i took the job on was that even though you have contracted hours you are expected to be flexible. There is 20% discount in stores and some other perks but overall its not worth the grief!
Pros
Discount
Cons
Not enough staff, equipment, or manners
Enjoyable but hard
section manager (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff26 November 2018
staffing cuts and extra work load is difficult to juggle but after working for other retailers, M&S is far more enjoyable, and the in store teams make it a great place to work
Love my M&S family
Shop assistant and cashier (Current Employee) –  Weybridge25 November 2018
I love working for M&S it’s a real pleasure everyone happy to help each other including managers, we are a little family good work life balance and reasonable pay and great benefits
Pros
20% staff discounts
Productive, fun workplace
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Barnsley23 November 2018
I enjoyed my time working at Marks and Spencer as I was a fun Workplace and I gained experience whilst I was at school...………………………………………………………………………….
Good opportunity for advancement and competitive pay package
Commercial Manager (Current Employee) –  Northern Ireland21 November 2018
Can be long hours, particularly at Peak times but this is to be expected going into retail. competitive salaries within the retail environment and the staff discount card is a big bonus along with many other perks and share price options available on top of the basic salary. The atmosphere in stores in very similar wherever you go; I found it extremely welcoming.
Pros
Staff discount card, pay benefits, advancement
Cons
relocation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marks and Spencer. Our community is ready to answer.

51.9K