Marks and Spencer Pay & Benefits reviews

Changing working environment
Section Manager (Current Employee) –  Ellesmere Port, Cheshire12 January 2018
Direction of the company is a concern

Great benefits of staff discount and staff canteen

Challenges within retail could have a major effect on the company in the medium to long term
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Business strategy
extremely enjoyable place to work
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bromley, Greater London11 January 2018
made some really good friends, pay was weekly and extremely well.
all the managers that veer worked on hot food on the move were good.praised well if did a good job.
Pros
worked with good people
Cons
breaks are not paid
Great care of their employees
Customer Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames, Greater London11 January 2018
Takes care to look after staff and provide great benefits. Usually start of as temporary staff and then great opportunities to go permanent, with great prospect to progress into management role. No discrimination.
A good temp job
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hereford10 January 2018
A good starting job for somebody looking for first time work or for a decent wage for little responsibility. You will often find that the senior team are out of touch with their staff and although BIG are good, the business often fail to understand what their staff want. Theres also too much middle management in store.
Environment
Customer Assistant (Employment) (Former Employee) –  Wolstanton, Staffordshire8 January 2018
Busy environment, helping customers, replenishing stock.

Skills I learnt:
- Display work
- Customer service
- Worked in different departments around store
Pros
Good salary, variety of colleagues, variety of tasks
good
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  floor assistant8 January 2018
good support on the floor, good working environment, good break time. it was centrally located so could get there easily
helpful staff and colleagues
uniform was provided
productive, busy yet very enjoyable to work there.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow5 January 2018
Very lovely people, fast past job but enjoyable and different from previous job in a positive way. Management was excellent and treated very well with great benefits.
Great company
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Watford, Hertfordshire4 January 2018
Long time ago but great company with benefits, good structure within lots of potential to further your career if retail is your thing. Has the difficulties like other big corporates but on the whole thumbs up
PT job whilst at shool
Executive Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Altrincham, Greater Manchester3 January 2018
This was only a part time job that I had whilst I was at school that paid more money than Tesco for better hours. Good company and enjoyed working here before starting a career.
Full time job is worth it, part time pointless
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol2 January 2018
Hours are terrible, managers only care about themselves.

Travel to and from work is hard. Food is cheap, staff are okay. Very hard work specially mornings.
Pros
20% staff discount cards for you and a family member
Cons
hours!!

Want to know more about Marks and Spencer?

Ask a question
Busy,enjoyable
Customer Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Bridgford, Nottinghamshire2 January 2018
Marks and Spencer is an enjoyable place to work. Good discount given almost straight away. The shifts you apply for are the ones you work so you know what your doing long term.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Finding stock
One to Avoid
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Bridgford, Nottinghamshire29 December 2017
Started at Marks and Spencer's simply Food in September on a fixed term contract until end of December

I was optimistic like anyone when you start a new job hoping if I worked hard i could progress it soon came apparent that wasn't going to happen. when I first started i soon noticed there was a click with certain staff members that didn't seem to like any new starters for some reason I found that strange as you would think they would be welcoming to new staff but that was the problem they treated permanent staff to fix term i.e. temp staff very different for example constantly putting pressure on you like saying you need to be quicker but you was going as fast as you could to get the stock out and reduce items but it never seemed to be good enough for them.

But the permanent staff could go at there own pace and not get rushed.

As the weeks and months went along I noticed there was no direction from the manager who you barely saw on the shop floor and when you did they didn't even acknowledge you. there was so many section co managers who basically were yes men.

The only thing I enjoyed about the experience was when I was on the till and talking to customers which I got praised for good customer service nearly every week off customers but no praise from managers which I found disappointing.

The thing that topped It off was on my final day and there was no communication to whether they were keeping me on or not no exit review interview no thanks for the hard work and good luck I found it rude and disrespectful and wouldn't recommend to anybody thinking about
  more... joining that store.  less
Pros
discount
Cons
early starts, double standards no respect.
Fun place to work in
Store, Staff and HR Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  London29 December 2017
Marks and Spencer

provides the best training you can imagine.

There is always room to learn and teach others, The work environment is really busy and you constantly need to be on your toes.
Benefits
Cons
unsociable hours
Pick pack
picking and packing (Former Employee) –  Castle Donington25 December 2017
Very cleaver Warehouse with good feature for people very easy job good chance for the students or for young people to grow to adults u get paid weekly on time
Pros
Free coffe
Cons
amazing company to work for
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol23 December 2017
there's always something to do and the staff and management were really nice. there was always overtime available and the staff room was great and was always filled with fruit/bread/sweets ect
Pros
good benefits and discount
rude and arrogant management
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Glasgow22 December 2017
barely even get a hello from managers, they grunt orders at you and complain you're not working fast enough
seems impossible to take a holiday as well, very difficult atmosphere to work in
Pros
staff discount
Good place to work but not in hospitality
Customer Assistant/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  London21 December 2017
The company itself is great, good benefit, if you are in central london you get location bonus pay and you get paid more than any other store, 4 weeks paid holiday, company sick pay, 20%off, perks online through other retailer as well.

I learned a great deal of customer service and how to manage a team, trying to fit everyone needs into a day of work.

The hardest part of the job is obviously being able to run the place with minimum staff, since the company has been making cuts all over the country, working with a reduced team not always ends up well for the customers because they loose that sense of family we were once able to give, nowdays the staff is always running, always busy trying to cover positions when there is no staff available.

The most enjoyable part is your team. They really become your friends through thick and thin and they are the ones that makes it worth it, especially in busy times like Christmas.
Pros
Good pay, payed holiday, sick pay
Cons
team not big enough, management wants you to be a robot
good place to work
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kirkcaldy, Fife20 December 2017
Good place to work, good benefits and friendly bunch of people. Management is a let down unfortunately. Unloading vans, using data systems, and stocking up shelves.
Pros
friendly people to work with
Cons
Management let down
Productive and fun
Foods Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh18 December 2017
Good staff and enjoyable job.
Good benefits.
Very flexible with hours.
Gained a lot of customer service experience.
Never any chance for full time job or progression.,
Fun and caring workplace
Hospitality and Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire14 December 2017
During my time with the company, M&S really looked after me. I began there as a Saturday girl, but whenever I expressed a wish to work more hours, my managers did everything they could to accommodate me.

My role in the cafe required me to operate the coffee machines, prepare and heat up food, serve food to the customers and cleaning the floor and tables. The job was quite stressful due to a large number of very impatient customers, and I suffered minor burns to my hands on a regular basis as a result of the coffee machine, but the team were mostly very supportive and helpful and we all rotated between different jobs to ensure that people had a break from rushing around making hot drinks for the customers.

The till can be quite difficult to get used to as there are a lot of items which have to be put through manually and it takes some time getting used to where everything is. Once you get to grips with everything, though, it's absolutely fine and you learn to cope with the pressure of the cafe quite quickly after that.
Pros
good salary, overtime often available, lots of training
Cons
hectic working environment, grumpy customers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marks and Spencer. Our community is ready to answer.