Marks and Spencer Pay & Benefits reviews

Awful management
Cafe Assistant (Former Employee) –  Guildford16 June 2018
I only worked here for a short while and didn't enjoy a minute of it. Management were rude, and not at all supportive. It's a shame, as M&S as a company is fantastic and this place does it no justice.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Management, salary, pressured environment
Great place to work.
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton14 June 2018
I worked here over Christmas and it really was incredible. I loved the amount of work, the staff I worked with were great and the store had a great atmosphere all the time.
Pros
Staff discount
Productive workplace
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire12 June 2018
Great place to work! Fun and friendly staff members! Fun working environment! Good pay! Fair! Good staff discount! Fairly flexible! Trustworthy! Clean environment!
Pros
Good pay! Good discount!
Cons
Unsociable hours
Long hours but excellent pay
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Rotherham12 June 2018
At this job you are expected to take up long shifts and many hours, if you do not want to take on a shift there is a certain feeling of anger from the managers, despite the fact that these hours exceed your contracted hours and this is never discussed. However, the pay from the job is excellent and the job itself is not too demanding.
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
Long shifts
Alright place to work but management looked down on you whilst being awful at their job
Temporary Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Buxton, Derbyshire12 June 2018
Good salary and staff discount but really didn't like the management. Could have been the store I was working in but my line manager was terrible at her job. They were strict on the number and length of breaks the customer assistants took but the managers used to go and take as many breaks as they wanted!
Pros
Pay; staff discount (20%)
Management needs improving.
Assisting customers (Former Employee) –  Clapham Junction, Greater London11 June 2018
Great money, it becomes hard to juggle everyday life when so much of your time is spent working.
Not the nicest environment to be working in, always doing something wrong, you can never do right
Pros
Lunch break
Cons
very nice and productive most of the time
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newbury10 June 2018
you always had jobs to do it was very fun and productive the hours were nice and the way was very good I recommend this job also paid weekly so had money every week
Pros
discount
allright
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hazel Grove, Greater Manchester9 June 2018
The pay was good and was not strenuous but the management was unnecessarily bossy. it is important for management to have a lead roll in the workplace but the managers thought they where much better at anything they did even when they clearly where lacking in some skills.
Pros
good pay
Cons
short breaks
Time to move on.
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Paddington, Greater London8 June 2018
Not great for development. That said, it is a good place to work. The discount is a nice bonus. The people are generally nice. Management wants to do the right thing, I just think they take too long to make decisions.
Pros
People do want it to get better
Cons
Too long to make a decision
very good
Team member (Former Employee) –  London6 June 2018
Stocking up the shelves
How to operate the shop floor
Everything is hard especially carrying heavy things but its good because it makes you strong.
Meeting new people and workers.
Pros
Discount
Cons
long hours and long standing.
My review
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Castle Donington, Leicestershire30 May 2018
A normal day is go to work pack the orders go home. I have learned a lot over the 4-5 years of being there & over that time the management has got worse in some areas. You hardly see them during the day so if you have a problem takes ages to get a solution or just to make enquires.
The job isn't that hard just very tedious & being in one place for long periods of time on your feet can be very draining. Also gets very warm within the building even though they have air conditioning apparently which is very poor compared to other buildings.
I do enjoy most of the people I work with & that's got to be the most enjoyable part of my job but most of the time I feel like a robot on a fixed programme to be honest.

I wouldn't recommend working there to anybody. If your a student or live at home then not a bad p[lace to work but if you have a family then its not family friendly on hours.
Pros
Benefits, Rate of pay
Cons
Long Hours, poor management
Busy but fun workplace
Customer Assistant (full time) (Former Employee) –  Stirling29 May 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed my job in the Marks and Spencer Café. The team are brilliant, welcoming and accepting of everyone. The management team was mostly fantastic but there were a few struggles from some colleagues. The hardest part of the job was dealing some very difficult customers, they often had very high expectations which were hard to meet. There was a lot of fun to be had, however, with making coffee and just generally having a laugh with colleagues and customers.
Pros
Employee benefits, i.e. 20% discount
Cons
Fast-paced, at times stressful
Staff not at the heart of what they do
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Castle Donington, Leicestershire28 May 2018
April 2017.

Hello M&S colleagues, we currently work 8 hour shifts, but next month, we’re moving to 12 hour shifts!

What’s that? You get the bus to work? Your days are going to be 14 hours long and you are going to be extremely tired? You fit your 8-hour day around your children’s educational needs? Find another job!

By the way, because of this change, we won’t be able to attract many agency staff, therefore over Christmas you’ll all have to work 48 hour weeks, all at single pay!

Work levels at Christmas low. Can we have a half day? No. We're going to send the agency staff we do have, who really need the money, home instead! What’s that? It’s 2 in the morning and they have no means to get home? That’s their problem!

By the way, tomorrow there is a change of shift, instead of working 6-6 we're all on 11-11. What's that? You've got family? Childcare? You're studying? Medical appointments? Going out? Social life? You're moaning we've given you less than 24 hours notice? Do the shift! Otherwise you'll trigger an absence and lose your right to a pay increase and bonus!

Oh yeah, by the way, because all of our knackered staff are now taking lots of time of work to recover, we’re really tightening up our absence policy! Who cares about you!
Pros
Fair salary for the job it is
Cons
Change from 8 hour shifts to 12 hour shifts
Incredible Company to Work For
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wiltshire24 May 2018
I've never had such a welcoming working experience than I have had at M&S. Alongside learning some core skills and information about the retail industry working at M&S really is like being part of a huge family.
Pros
Benefits of the Company
internship
Design Assistant (Former Employee) –  UK22 May 2018
Marks and Spencer is a thriving office to be in. My time here would be assisting the whole of the Peruna team.
i valved my time there and made many life long friends
Good environment
Barista and Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Congleton19 May 2018
Fast paced cafe environment, throughout the day you do a bit of everything including working the till taking orders and processing payments, preparing hot food, barista work on coffees or pot washing. The pay was good but the hours worked compared the the time on break was low and tiring.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
long hours short breaks
great job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Perth17 May 2018
much like anyother retail job, can get boring however the pay is really good at £8.50 per hour and you also get a good staff discount at 20%, you also get discount card for a friend or family
Great money but being on tills for 8 hours straight kills you
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow16 May 2018
The benefits and salary were really good but there was a sort of heirarchy with the people who worked different departments. If you werent pushing the credit card Marks has on customers then you were useless to them and lowkey got told off.
Pros
Moneyyyy
Cons
Youll want to die
Productive and learnt new skills.
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Castle Donington, Leicestershire16 May 2018
A typical shift at work was very busy and productive which I enjoyed as I like being busy. Whilst working for Marks and Spencer's I learned how to effectively manage my time as I had to work within a time limit. As this was my first job I learned numerous skills in which I can now use effectively in my career. I also learned to take on board instructions and learning to work alongside other colleagues.

The workplace culture was diverse as I worked with a range of people from different backgrounds which Marks and Spencers pride themselves on with great customer service being their key message.

The hardest part of the job was maintaining momentum during quieter periods of the working day. The most enjoyable part of this job learning new skills and meeting new people. Also, giving me aspirations for my career going forward.
Pros
good internal benefits e.g. canteen was subsidised
Cons
Long days
worst place
Warehouse Team Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Castle Donington, Leicestershire15 May 2018
Worst place where to work,
almost every manager trying to stab other people in back only for they own benefits, dont see any options to progress only if you are mates with manager.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marks and Spencer. Our community is ready to answer.

51.7K