Marks and Spencer Pay & Benefits reviews

productive fun workplace
Christmas Temp (Former Employee) –  London16 October 2018
Honestly, working here wasn't the worst job in the world. Although around Christmas time the hours can be long and tiring but they are4 worth it with all the benefits you receive (wages). the management wasn't all that but that's not to be discussed as its not my place but management were easy to talk to.
Pros
20% discount, flexible working hours
Cons
can have long hours
great and more committed
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Castle Donington, Leicestershire13 October 2018
It was a great job and with more organised with most modren machines and the system was brillient that makes our work more easier and enjoible what i like it more.
i had the chance to work with a team and the people was friendly and helpfuly.
Pros
canteen services for long hours
CAFÉ ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire11 October 2018
M&S provide a welcoming environment, with managers being approachable and ultimately supportive of individual situations or concerns.
They are flexible when it comes to working hours where possible, overtime and holidays and always try to accommodate you if you feel you want to change departments and try something new.
I love working for M&S, the staff and management are friendly, there is always help on hand and the benefits are amazing too.
It isn't an easy job as most think, but it is rewarding and you can make life long friends here too.
Pros
Perks & discounts
Cons
Fast pace and can be demanding over busy periods
Employment at Marks and Spencers
Section Manager (3 Departments) (Former Employee) –  Lymington, New Forest, and West Quay, Southampton11 October 2018
Working for M&S is so much more than working for one of the nation’s largest retailers. you need to have a passion for excellence, a flexible approach in all that you do and always putting customers first. There is mutual trust and friendship among those you spend a lot of time with, a feeling of belonging. They want you to be your best and they want the best. There are a variety of opportunities on offer. If you play your part, you’ll be rewarded with competitive salaries, bonus schemes, flexible working options and the opportunity to volunteer in the community..
Pros
Discount, Offers, Bonus, Friendship, Good Rate of Pay, Sharesave, Life insurance, Pension, Sharebuy
Cons
Long hours, Shifts
Customers Assistant (Current Employee) –  London5 October 2018
Really enjoyed it, friendly staff and environment. however alot of pressure can be out on you. The way is really good and it is an overall good company to work for with a lot of benefits for the staff. They also take care of customers I must say.
Pros
discount
Cons
new changes
Would go back!
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklands Surrey4 October 2018
Loved working there, I love working with people and food and I just found it rewards. Didn't dread going to work and i think that says a lot, especially for a super market, good progression if you want it
Pros
20 discout
Cons
unsociable hours
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Maidenhead30 September 2018
I enjoyed working at marks and Spencer's even though it was only a week I had a great time . The staff was great. I mostly enjoyed working in the food department.
Pros
Great fun
Cons
No free lunches
fine
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire28 September 2018
The job was quite hard to do because i was not getting paid so i didn't enjoy it that much and the people were boring and the food was bland and i had no one to sit with at lunch.
market leading retailers
Commercial Manager (Former Employee) –  Derby28 September 2018
Household name retailer who provide great work-life balance and a competitive package including good salary, holiday allowance, staff discount and many more perks.
fun workplace
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bexhill24 September 2018
good place to work part time, fun, lovely people, benefits are good. learned a lot about retail, not much career progression. get to meet some really nice people.
Pros
lovely staff
Cons
sometimes poor management
Fun atmosphere
CUSTOMER ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Rushden, Northamptonshire24 September 2018
Typical day at work was challenging but rewarding. Management were good but always expected you to break you back for the company when they were not willing to do the same. It was rewarding because all the employees were lovely and of a very high standard so recognised hard work and praised each other. Your confidence grew a lot in M&S as they expect you to make the customers experience as enjoyable and rewarding as possible.
Never Again
Cafe Assistant (Former Employee) –  North West23 September 2018
(Long review for the cafe.) I’ve been working at M&S for a number of years but now and I’m starting to regret applying for this job in the first place. The first few weeks were okay, staff were friendly (mostly forced but you know how it is) and the job was easy and smooth sailing. Once you get settled in the job just becomes harder, as you would expect. My section manager started to show her true colours and started to become incredibly rude. She never greeted me, yet greeted everybody else, gave me the worst jobs to do, deducted my pay for simple things like talking with another coworker when the shop was empty and not being fast enough. Yet she stands there when the shop is busy and talks with the rest of the staff and has a laugh. Half of the staff on my shop floor are amazing and really make you feel welcome. But a couple of them are rude and entitled. They look down on you and act like you’ve asked them to receive the Crown Jewels if you ask them a simple question like “can you show me where I put this?” The shop gets busy a lot, and everything gets on top of you, like cleaning up tables or putting stock out, but as soon as you ask for a small bit of help from another co-worker who is just standing there, they point blank refuse and stand there doing nothing. You bend over backwards for your co-workers but half of them refuse to do anything for you when you ask for help. The rest of the staff are an absolute delight and make it worth working there. Do not even get me started on the customers. A lot of the customers are lovely and will stand there and have a conversation  more... with you, others don’t really interact but you get a handful that are just completely rude and have a downright disgusting attitude. I have been told that I’m useless, I’m never going to amount to anything, I’m going to get sacked etc. by all these customers because I got their order wrong or I forgot to put one of their items through on the till. As soon as I reported it too my sectional manager she completely ignored me and told me that it was my fault. If you’re looking for a job with a good pay but drains the life out of you and takes up the majority of your time, this is the job for you. If not I’d look somewhere else.  less
Pros
Breaks, Salary, Discounts
Cons
Long hours, No notice to when you’re working, Barely any time off
productive and fun
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Belfast22 September 2018
i loved the culture of the marks and spencer workplace as i felt part of a community. a typical day as a marks and spencer employee was both challenging and rewarding. the management team were good even though there were some communication issues with them.
Pros
cheap lunches
Cons
unpaid breaks
fun work place
temporary store assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool21 September 2018
when i worked here i enjoyed very much working here. there was great work ethic in the company. there were many benefits to working with m&s. i would very much like to work here again in the future.
Pros
20% discount
Cons
n/a
Supervisor/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  South Coast19 September 2018
Very professional company, who are no longer the complacent business they were a number of years ago.
Advancement in the company is achievable for those who are wanting progression.
Pros
Good benefits
great work place
Customer service (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London13 September 2018
Always busy, always learning new things and chances to progress in the work place.
Good friendly staff, many students as hours are good and flexible.
Pros
always busy
productive
Hospitality Staff (Former Employee) –  London11 September 2018
marks and spencer is a good job however its difficult for student in college as the job is not flexible. additionally they do pay well and r understandable for people with families.
Pros
beautiful pay
Cons
not flexible for students in college
Productive and fun workplace
Retail (Former Employee) –  Hockley9 September 2018
It was very rewarding and highly recommend to anyone very friendly staff and customers I enjoyed it and has giving me the confidence and experience to achieve high things
Pros
Free lunch
Productive and organised
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Streatham8 September 2018
working at Mark's and Spencer was a very peaceful. Every morning you knew your role and what you had to do, everything is organized well before hand to avoid any casualties. what was enjoyable about this job the lack of tension or stress in the workplace making it really nice to work there.
Pros
Free lunch
Great place
CUSTOMER ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Aberystwyth4 September 2018
Great environment, with nice co-workers and management. Job isn't really hard. Shifts are flexible. A bit cold on the food salesfloor. The salary is very nice, also paid holidays.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marks and Spencer. Our community is ready to answer.

51.9K